Welcome to unstablemolecules.com, the discussion home for mightyavengers.net, uncanon.com and uncannyxmen.net!

Loki

Did you see the Dr. Strange Movie from the 70's? Me neither, but I'm sure someone did. Come here to talk about Movies and TV
tokenBG1009

Re: Loki

Post by tokenBG1009 » 13 Jun 2021, 23:56

Nu-D wrote:
13 Jun 2021, 00:19
das_boot wrote:
12 Jun 2021, 09:49
I didn’t enjoy this. I didn’t hate it either, I just kind of… experienced it? I dunno. This felt a bit like them trying to do an MCU Doctor Who meets Prison Break.
I was actually a little surprised at how uninspired Hiddleston was. He seemed a little tired of it all. Amd looked a little out of shape.
I think that was intentional. At this point in the timeline Loki is 0-2 essentially while still being the one who believes he's the rightful king of Asgard. He's not had exactly the greatest few days on top of everything that happened in the episode.
"Sometimes I do feel like I'm a failure. Like there's no hope for me. But even so, I'm not gonna give up. Ever!" -Izuku Midoriya

sambadaemon

Post by sambadaemon » 16 Jun 2021, 13:46

This week's episode is soooo good!
Spoiler: show
Ravonna being in charge makes me think the TimeKeepers don't actually exist, and the TVA is being run by Kang. And the positioning of the hands on the statues of the TimeKeepers has to be significant. It's the positioning the Ancient One used, the open palm above a closed fist.

Spectral Knight

Post by Spectral Knight » 16 Jun 2021, 21:00

First half of this episode was a little plodding but I wonder if that was quite intentional at showing the needless bureaucracy of the TVA, but second half really picked up pace.

So, to confirm, the TVA sits "outside" of time (or at least the "sacred timeline"), but still flows in a linear progression? It seems there is a mythology around the end of time in the TVA which seemingly makes this continued pen pushing and pruning seem worthwhile (I'm thinking this to be like "Silicon Heaven" for those familiar with early Red Dwarf).

I do wonder how much the TVA know that isn't potentially a misdirection by the Time Keepers / other parties.

Just how many Loki variants has Mobius/the TVA encountered? Anyone sensing a bigger Loki get together (Council of Loki's...hmmm) later down the line.

Was / Is it imagination or is the woman in the opener who questioned the TVA agent for not being "dressed right" none other than... Agatha? She wasn't on screen long enough for me to really tell.

sambadaemon

Post by sambadaemon » 16 Jun 2021, 21:15

Spectral Knight wrote:
16 Jun 2021, 21:00
First half of this episode was a little plodding but I wonder if that was quite intentional at showing the needless bureaucracy of the TVA, but second half really picked up pace.

So, to confirm, the TVA sits "outside" of time (or at least the "sacred timeline"), but still flows in a linear progression? It seems there is a mythology around the end of time in the TVA which seemingly makes this continued pen pushing and pruning seem worthwhile (I'm thinking this to be like "Silicon Heaven" for those familiar with early Red Dwarf).

I do wonder how much the TVA know that isn't potentially a misdirection by the Time Keepers / other parties.

Just how many Loki variants has Mobius/the TVA encountered? Anyone sensing a bigger Loki get together (Council of Loki's...hmmm) later down the line.

Was / Is it imagination or is the woman in the opener who questioned the TVA agent for not being "dressed right" none other than... Agatha? She wasn't on screen long enough for me to really tell.
It wasn't Kathryn Hahn, if that's what you're asking. I liked this episode a lot more than the first one. I didn't dislike the first episode, and I couldn't really put my finger on why it was just "meh" to me until this week. Loki just didn't really feel like "Loki" to me last week. He did this week.

Spectral Knight

Post by Spectral Knight » 16 Jun 2021, 21:34

This is why i am terrible at cameo spotting. I stand corrected.

I would agree, Loki definitely felt more conniving little shit™️ this episode than last...

Nu-D

Post by Nu-D » 17 Jun 2021, 01:08

Did Loki cause his mother’s death in The Dark World, or was that a retcon in the last episode?
He/him/his

_Rick_

Post by _Rick_ » 17 Jun 2021, 06:48

This episode was much better IMHO. It still dragged in places though. I'm getting tired of the banter due to how long and repetitive it is. I understand that's part of Loki's character but sometimes less is more. Lady Loki was a bit too dry for me. A bit of a disappointment. They should have used Jamie Alexander.
Nu-D wrote:
17 Jun 2021, 01:08
Did Loki cause his mother’s death in The Dark World, or was that a retcon in the last episode?
I have trouble remembering much of that movie but that wasn't a retcon. It was the basis of Loki's "redemption" arc. When Kurse was doing his prison break, Loki told him what stairs to use. Kurse then went on to destroy the palace's shield generator (enabling the invasion) and eventually got to save Malekith from Frigga just in time. Kurse restrained and then killed Frigga on Malekith's order. Of course there's no way of knowing if Kurse would have succedded anyway without Loki's help but Loki did seem to blame himself for that. In the death scene when Loki says "I didn't do it for him [Odin]", the implication is that he was risking his life to save Jane and kill Kurse to atone for Frigga.

Lorr

Post by Lorr » 17 Jun 2021, 13:46

Was that lady loki or enchantress? She has blonde hair and gold horns, and the main power she really used was....enchanting people.

Blackcyclops

Post by Blackcyclops » 17 Jun 2021, 14:18

Lorr wrote:
17 Jun 2021, 13:46
Was that lady loki or enchantress? She has blonde hair and gold horns, and the main power she really used was....enchanting people.

That was my question too…I thought Enchantress
Morrison Era 2001-2005, Decimation Era from 2005-2012, Bendis Era 2012-2016, M-Pox era 2016-2017, and Resurrxion 2017-2019, Hickman Era 2019-?

sambadaemon

Post by sambadaemon » 17 Jun 2021, 20:16

Blackcyclops wrote:
17 Jun 2021, 14:18
Lorr wrote:

I didn't make that connection, but Loki did specifically call it "enchantment" when he first saw it used. If anyone would recognize it, it'd be him.

Nu-D

Post by Nu-D » 17 Jun 2021, 21:38

_Rick_ wrote:
17 Jun 2021, 06:48
This episode was much better IMHO. It still dragged in places though. I'm getting tired of the banter due to how long and repetitive it is. I understand that's part of Loki's character but sometimes less is more. Lady Loki was a bit too dry for me. A bit of a disappointment. They should have used Jamie Alexander.
Nu-D wrote:
I have trouble remembering much of that movie but that wasn't a retcon. It was the basis of Loki's "redemption" arc. When Kurse was doing his prison break, Loki told him what stairs to use. Kurse then went on to destroy the palace's shield generator (enabling the invasion) and eventually got to save Malekith from Frigga just in time. Kurse restrained and then killed Frigga on Malekith's order. Of course there's no way of knowing if Kurse would have succedded anyway without Loki's help but Loki did seem to blame himself for that. In the death scene when Loki says "I didn't do it for him [Odin]", the implication is that he was risking his life to save Jane and kill Kurse to atone for Frigga.
That’s what I thought. Someone mentioned that it was a “reveal” that Loki was partially responsible for Frigga’s death, but that seemed off to me.
He/him/his

XtremeOne1

Post by XtremeOne1 » 17 Jun 2021, 22:37

_Rick_ wrote:
She appeared for a minute bit early to call her dry. And Jamie Alexander isn't exactly the strongest actor...

Gibbering Fool

Post by Gibbering Fool » 18 Jun 2021, 11:56

sambadaemon wrote:
17 Jun 2021, 20:16
Blackcyclops wrote:
17 Jun 2021, 14:18
Lorr wrote:

I didn't make that connection, but Loki did specifically call it "enchantment" when he first saw it used. If anyone would recognize it, it'd be him.
It's meant to be a female variant of Loki. I can't imagine they'll introduce a new character when the point of the show is Loki has been brought in to hunt his variant

Spectral Knight

Post by Spectral Knight » 18 Jun 2021, 13:07

I wouldn't necessarily be so certain. The closed captioning for the actress used the name "Sylvie" as the character, courtesy of Den of Geek. Think of that what you will...

sambadaemon

Post by sambadaemon » 18 Jun 2021, 13:39

Spectral Knight wrote:
18 Jun 2021, 13:07
I wouldn't necessarily be so certain. The closed captioning for the actress used the name "Sylvie" as the character, courtesy of Den of Geek. Think of that what you will...
I just watched her scene at the end again. They don't use a name for her one line, and all the hosts and the credits just call her "The Variant".

Edit again: Apparently the "Sylvie" only appears on the Castillian subtitles, which I can't find. It's not on either of the Spanish or Portuguese options I have.

_Rick_

Post by _Rick_ » 18 Jun 2021, 22:20

Nu-D wrote:
17 Jun 2021, 21:38
_Rick_ wrote:
Nu-D wrote:
That’s what I thought. Someone mentioned that it was a “reveal” that Loki was partially responsible for Frigga’s death, but that seemed off to me.
To be fair, I don't think Loki ever directly said what his intentions were when directing Kurse or even if he blamed himself. It's heavily implied but never outright stated. He blamed Thor for not being with Frigga and placing him in prison. It was left to the audience to interpret his actions and connect the dots. It's possible that other people came out with a different read of the movie. Still, it wouldn't make this a retcon. Morbius interpretation is the one that makes the most sense for Loki's character arc in that movie.

Blackcyclops

Post by Blackcyclops » 18 Jun 2021, 23:52

*Mobius

Morbius’s time is soon lol
Morrison Era 2001-2005, Decimation Era from 2005-2012, Bendis Era 2012-2016, M-Pox era 2016-2017, and Resurrxion 2017-2019, Hickman Era 2019-?

_Rick_

Post by _Rick_ » 19 Jun 2021, 00:04

:lol: Now I want to see a Morbius cameo in this show.

Gibbering Fool

Post by Gibbering Fool » 19 Jun 2021, 02:21

Spectral Knight wrote:
18 Jun 2021, 13:07
Ive seen a few websites calling her Sylvie Laufeydottr. She did say not to call her Loki, maybe she's chosen herself a new name?

Looks like Lady Loki bombed a lot of notable locations
https://screenrant.com/lady-loki-every- ... gn=SR-FB-P

Nu-D

Post by Nu-D » 19 Jun 2021, 02:21

If it’s Enchantress, they’ll need some substantial contortions to make the “so you’re me. No, you’re me” dialogue make any sense. How would Enchantress know what Loki is talking about when he says that to her? Because magic. But still, it makes the dialogue seem incoherent and pointless.
He/him/his

Blackcyclops

Post by Blackcyclops » 19 Jun 2021, 02:35

Nu-D wrote:
19 Jun 2021, 02:21
If it’s Enchantress, they’ll need some substantial contortions to make the “so you’re me. No, you’re me” dialogue make any sense. How would Enchantress know what Loki is talking about when he says that to her? Because magic. But still, it makes the dialogue seem incoherent and pointless.

Well Enchantress in this universe could just be a female variant of Loki…this isn’t 616.

XtremeOne1

Post by XtremeOne1 » 19 Jun 2021, 02:46

Yeah it's still female Loki but with her own name and back story but she goes by the name Enchantress/Slyvie

Gibbering Fool

Post by Gibbering Fool » 19 Jun 2021, 07:31

The Enchantress in the Young Masters was named Sylvie I think. The "main" Enchantress is named Amora. It could be a clever way to get the Enchantress but still leave the door open for the "real" Enchantress in a future film

Spectral Knight

Post by Spectral Knight » 19 Jun 2021, 07:47

I wouldn't mind classic Amora Enchantress or the young Enchantress/ Lady Loki hybrid. Amora was such a fun character in the early Masters of Evil and is a classic Marvel villain, who I'd love to see seduce Dude Thor.

Magnus

Post by Magnus » 23 Jun 2021, 04:58

Finally got around to watching the first couple of episodes. As is oft the case, I agree with Rick... things have dragged for the most part, though thankfully stuff ticked up once they got to Alabama. All of the scenes with Loki and Mobius talking are pretty boring, which is surprising - who would think Hiddleston and Wilson riffing on each other would be so bland? - but the writing/dialogue just isn't there to support it. Hopefully the end of the episode portends a better pace, pleasantly surprised to see things go crazy so fast.

I absolutely don't believe anything about the TVA is true, for what it's worth. I didn't even think the grenades were really "reseting" timelines until they finally showed us one at the ren faire. Even then, I was surprised that it was less of a bomb and seemed to only vaporize things that had been 'altered' so still not quite 100% clear what's going on. But I will be totally unsurprised if it turns out the Timekeepers are made up and the 'sacred timeline' thing is bunk, etc.