Welcome to unstablemolecules.com, the discussion home for mightyavengers.net, uncanon.com and uncannyxmen.net!

WandaVision, season 1.

Did you see the Dr. Strange Movie from the 70's? Me neither, but I'm sure someone did. Come here to talk about Movies and TV
Cable

Re: WandaVision, season 1.

Post by Cable » 20 Feb 2021, 16:07

I agree with what Nu-D said before -- if there is another big villain reveal like Mephisto it will be like an end stinger that sets something else up.
das_boot wrote:
19 Feb 2021, 16:31
Spoiler: show
So my current theory is this:

That was the Darkhold we saw. Agatha is a Salem witch (so, outside of Doctor Strange’s realm of expertise) and she’s not actually THAT powerful. She’s essentially coerced a confused Wanda into creating Westview. The twins, Vision being alive and Pietro being there are to convince Wanda to open the Darkhold and help Agatha cast a reality warping spell that will make Westview real.
Her 'acting' last episode though would suggest she wants Vision gone. I think he is in her way in gaining control of Wanda. So was it never intended for him to be alive again or did it go wrong?

It is funny that Hayward wants Vision for the ultimate weapon but Agatha recognizes Wanda is the REAL ultimate weapon. Though as a 'robot' Vision would possibly be easier to control.
Best Comics of Week 18

X-titles: Hellions #11 by Zeb Wells (4) and Stephen Segovia (4)
Non-X titles: Heroes Reborn #1 by Jason Aaron (2) and Ed McGuinness (1)

In parentheses number of times creator has had best comic this year

EphemeristX

Post by EphemeristX » 20 Feb 2021, 18:04

Anna Raven wrote:
20 Feb 2021, 06:24
EvilMonkeyPope wrote:
20 Feb 2021, 06:09
This was the first time.
Where is Agatha Harkness's feline familiar Ebony? Is it posing as Quicksilver?
Maybe it was the bunny? Or was the bunny supposed to be Nicolas Scratch?
Or maybe Evan Peters is Nicholas Scratch.
http://dancehall-daze.tumblr.com

"Take your baby by the ears
And play upon her darkest fears"

Nu-D

Post by Nu-D » 21 Feb 2021, 01:51

The bunny’s name is “Mr. Scratchy.”
XtremeOne1 wrote:
19 Feb 2021, 14:30

- They did a great misdirect last episode. I mean, I said episode one, as soon as she introduced herself as 'Agnes' that she was Agatha, and was back and forth until last episode made me feel 'Hmm, maybe she really isn't' only for this episode to confirm it.
Yeah, it was a very good misdirect. I never doubted Agnes was Agatha, but I did fall into the trap of thinking she was maybe trapped in Westview like Monica had been—sort of part there, and part free.

I’m confused. We’re we supposed to recognize any of the SWORD characters that delivered the (useless) tech to Monica? Was one of them the aforementioned aerospace engineer?
Last edited by Nu-D on 21 Feb 2021, 02:14, edited 1 time in total.
He/him/his

Blackcyclops

Post by Blackcyclops » 21 Feb 2021, 02:09

I originally thought it was the engineer but the actress’s comments now make me think we haven’t met this friend yet...
Morrison Era 2001-2005, Decimation Era from 2005-2012, Bendis Era 2012-2016, M-Pox era 2016-2017, and Resurrxion 2017-2019, Hickman Era 2019-?

Nu-D

Post by Nu-D » 21 Feb 2021, 02:17

Blackcyclops wrote:
21 Feb 2021, 02:09
I originally thought it was the engineer but the actress’s comments now make me think we haven’t met this friend yet...
See, I didn’t think it was the engineer. Monica called her “major” something. She works for SWORD. She seemed to just be delivering the tech. She didn’t seem to be the designer.

But I wasn’t sure. I’m still not sure. Did anyone catch her name, and does it have a comic book reference?

Oh, and Bethany stole the show this episode.
He/him/his

tokenBG1009

Post by tokenBG1009 » 21 Feb 2021, 03:10

Major Goodner was the lady's name. I don't think she was the engineer.

I feel like the Agnes/Agatha reveal definitely overshadowed Paul Bettany's humor in this episode. I've never thought he was bad, but he killed me this episode.
"Sometimes I do feel like I'm a failure. Like there's no hope for me. But even so, I'm not gonna give up. Ever!" -Izuku Midoriya

EvilMonkeyPope

Post by EvilMonkeyPope » 21 Feb 2021, 03:31

Never bet against Bettany!

Blackcyclops

Post by Blackcyclops » 21 Feb 2021, 03:55

I mean a major could still be an engineer but I get you and I think you’re probably right.
Morrison Era 2001-2005, Decimation Era from 2005-2012, Bendis Era 2012-2016, M-Pox era 2016-2017, and Resurrxion 2017-2019, Hickman Era 2019-?

das_boot

Post by das_boot » 21 Feb 2021, 10:17

Yeah, I kind of feel like there’s still going to be about a million “OH SHIIIIIIIT” moments in the last two episodes.

Bettany and Olsen have been sublime in this. I’m so glad that these are two really strong actors that have been given a chance to shine in something that I feel is really one of the strongest entries in the MCU canon to date.
X-Centric podcast: coming soon!

Nu-D

Post by Nu-D » 21 Feb 2021, 11:58

Screenwriters rely heavily on visual cues as a shorthand to make sure audiences recognize what’s going on. For a throw-away “engineer” character, they’ll give us a white-collar worker, usually a middle-age white man with glasses and a button-down shirt, no neck-tie, working for a corporation or a bureaucracy. They might change it up a little to subvert expectations, but they wouldn’t toss the whole stereotype without some dialogue to clear it up.

Here we got a young woman in he military. None of the cues for an engineer. Since Major Goodman has none of the visual cues of “aerospace engineer,” and since there was no dialogue to cue us in that she was, in fact, the engineer, I don’t think she’s the one.

The alternative explanation is a bad writing choice, either in Monica’s dialogue or in this scene. They didn’t need to introduce an engineer character if Major Goodman was who they had in mind. Alternatively, they could have had her say she designed the tech. But this show has been too good for that. So I think it’s someone else.
He/him/his

LimboMaster

Post by LimboMaster » 21 Feb 2021, 13:05

I think they did call that useless rover thing a moon lander (or something along those lines) so that would at least be consistent with the engineer being Goodman, but super weird that it would not be a significant character so I'm inclined to doubt it too (but she clearly had been in contact with this person because she had that thing ready to go in no time).
I still think Foxsilver is Foxsilver. Irrespective of who brought him to Westview, I don't think Feige would allow such a cheesy move for this to be nothing more than a literal recast who just so happens to look exactly like an alt universe version of the same character (and given the reference to a Nexus [of all realities] that suggests even further that we're dealing with alt universes here). I think Darcy calling it a recast is just because she has never seen this version of him. It's just seems too much of a stretch that he not be Foxsilver.

Nu-D

Post by Nu-D » 21 Feb 2021, 13:36

LimboMaster wrote:
21 Feb 2021, 13:05
I think they did call that useless rover thing a moon lander (or something along those lines) so that would at least be consistent with the engineer being Goodman, but super weird that it would not be a significant character so I'm inclined to doubt it too (but she clearly had been in contact with this person because she had that thing ready to go in no time).
I still think Foxsilver is Foxsilver. Irrespective of who brought him to Westview, I don't think Feige would allow such a cheesy move for this to be nothing more than a literal recast who just so happens to look exactly like an alt universe version of the same character (and given the reference to a Nexus [of all realities] that suggests even further that we're dealing with alt universes here). I think Darcy calling it a recast is just because she has never seen this version of him. It's just seems too much of a stretch that he not be Foxsilver.
I think it’s more meta than that. Wanda/Agatha cast Peters as Quicksilver because they saw Peters play a similar character in an X-Men movies within the MCU. It plays on the show-within-a-show theme by making the Fox movies still be movies in the MCU. If the character is a demon so some such, he took Peters face based on the Fox movie.

I firmly believe this is not a back-door to bringing the Fox universe into canon via a multiverse. I could imagine Feige giving the Fox movies a nod in a multiverse montage, but he’s absolutely not going to bring any of the characters into the MCU as proper character. It will not happen.
He/him/his

LimboMaster

Post by LimboMaster » 21 Feb 2021, 14:45

Nu-D wrote:
21 Feb 2021, 13:36
LimboMaster wrote:
21 Feb 2021, 13:05
I firmly believe this is not a back-door to bringing the Fox universe into canon via a multiverse. I could imagine Feige giving the Fox movies a nod in a multiverse montage, but he’s absolutely not going to bring any of the characters into the MCU as proper character. It will not happen.
Oh, yeah. I totally agree that the Fox X-Men will NOT be the MCU X-Men. But, I still think this instance of Quicksilver IS that character brought over (or at least based on that character thereby acknowledging the Foxverse). For what purpose is not clear. But, I don't think it's at all a stretch that they are acknowledging the Foxverse as a thing, especially given that it's confirmed that Deadpool 3 coming. It seems pretty clear they have to be importing at least some characters from Foxverse for that to be happening and the natural place would be in a show about the Nexus of realities [WV] or a movie about the Multiverse [DS2].

DCypher

Post by DCypher » 21 Feb 2021, 16:28

Wonder why they focused so hard on the cicada bug in Agnes’ house, especially its green colour made me think it could be a magically transformed Tommy?

das_boot

Post by das_boot » 21 Feb 2021, 19:39

manuel_mc89 wrote:
20 Feb 2021, 01:02
I can confirm to you that in Spanish: "Como Ágatha no hay dos", is also a bop
Am I right in thinking that basically translates to “there’s no one like Agatha”?

P-90

Post by P-90 » 21 Feb 2021, 19:53

How many episodes are there in this first season?
Last edited by P-90 on 21 Feb 2021, 22:37, edited 2 times in total.
'A shared universe, like any fictional construct, hinges on suspension of disbelief. When continuity is tossed away, it tatters the construct. Undermines it'

Nu-D

Post by Nu-D » 22 Feb 2021, 01:13

das_boot wrote:
21 Feb 2021, 19:39
manuel_mc89 wrote:
Am I right in thinking that basically translates to “there’s no one like Agatha”?
Literally, “like Agatha there are not two.” But yes, “there’s no one like Agatha” captures the sense perfectly.
He/him/his

das_boot

Post by das_boot » 22 Feb 2021, 08:07

Nu-D wrote:
22 Feb 2021, 01:13
das_boot wrote:
21 Feb 2021, 19:39
manuel_mc89 wrote:
Literally, “like Agatha there are not two.” But yes, “there’s no one like Agatha” captures the sense perfectly.
Ha ha ha yeah, I studied Spanish at school, and we were always warned about literal translations, so I assumed it was one of those phrases that’s in common use but doesn’t have a direct equivalent in English, if you get what I mean?

Also, Kathryn Hahn has credits as the artist for the English version 😂

I enjoy that in the space of two weeks, two very different TV franchises have gifted me with songs impossible to get out of my head. At least this week’s doesn’t start off with “bing bang bong”...

Nu-D

Post by Nu-D » 22 Feb 2021, 11:51

P-90 wrote:
21 Feb 2021, 19:53
Nine, but we’ve been told it’s six hours of programming. We’re at about 4 hours with two episodes to go, so at least one of the remaining two is longer.

It just occurred to me that the more recent episodes have been closer to 40 minutes, and the earlier ones were closer to 25, and I wonder whether they track consistently with the trends in TV by decade based on ad/programming time? Including the end credits, the episodes are 29, 36, 32, 34, 41, 37, 37 minutes. The end credits are not the same length in each episode, but they are about 7-7.5 minutes. So the programming length is actually: 22, 29, 25, 27, 34, 30, 30. The longest is the “very special episode” which could be a double-length episode.

Come to think of it, is anyone watching the end credits? They’re abnormally long, and they vary. I suspect a close watch would reveal hints and additional material.
He/him/his

P-90

Post by P-90 » 22 Feb 2021, 13:15

Nu-D wrote:
22 Feb 2021, 11:51
P-90 wrote:
21 Feb 2021, 19:53
Nine, but we’ve been told it’s six hours of programming. We’re at about 4 hours with two episodes to go, so at least one of the remaining two is longer.

It just occurred to me that the more recent episodes have been closer to 40 minutes, and the earlier ones were closer to 25, and I wonder whether they track consistently with the trends in TV by decade based on ad/programming time? Including the end credits, the episodes are 29, 36, 32, 34, 41, 37, 37 minutes. The end credits are not the same length in each episode, but they are about 7-7.5 minutes. So the programming length is actually: 22, 29, 25, 27, 34, 30, 30. The longest is the “very special episode” which could be a double-length episode.

Come to think of it, is anyone watching the end credits? They’re abnormally long, and they vary. I suspect a close watch would reveal hints and additional material.
Thanks.
'A shared universe, like any fictional construct, hinges on suspension of disbelief. When continuity is tossed away, it tatters the construct. Undermines it'

EphemeristX

Post by EphemeristX » 22 Feb 2021, 16:25

I just hope they mean six hours of actual programming and they're not counting the credits and the "last week on..." as part of the run time.

Counting those, that leaves two almost hour-long episodes. Minus the credits, they'd be about 45 of story a piece. If they're not, we'd have a little over two and a half hours of story time left.
http://dancehall-daze.tumblr.com

"Take your baby by the ears
And play upon her darkest fears"

Blackcyclops

Post by Blackcyclops » 22 Feb 2021, 18:43

They might mean the Making Of special that airs the week after the last episode too

XtremeOne1

Post by XtremeOne1 » 23 Feb 2021, 01:41

Nah, I don;t think Feige would say six hours of content and include a making fun. Seems a bit underhanded.

I'd say the credits will count, but the next time on won't...so that's a nice extra 8 minutes! Unless their plan is to really six hours of content and maybe releasing it on BLURAY as one big movie?

EvilMonkeyPope

Post by EvilMonkeyPope » 23 Feb 2021, 22:28

47 minutes coming up next!