Welcome to unstablemolecules.com, the discussion home for mightyavengers.net, uncanon.com and uncannyxmen.net!

SPOILERS for Spiderman Far From Home

Did you see the Dr. Strange Movie from the 70's? Me neither, but I'm sure someone did. Come here to talk about Movies and TV
Magnus

Re: SPOILERS for Spiderman Far From Home

Post by Magnus » 13 Jul 2019, 01:06

Well yeah, obviously Thor and the remaining GotG are out in space, and it makes sense for Captain Marvel to be away too. But I'm definitely curious as to where some of the others were. Even if Black Panther is hanging out in Wakanda, I think he'd want to be involved with fighting supposed elementals that threaten to destroy the whole world. That sorta thing also seems right up the alley for Strange and Hulk (and Strange especially probably would've seen right through it). And given that they wanted to fight it with Spider-Man, I'm sure folks like Wasp, Ant-Man and War Machine would've been useful. I dunno, I just hope we get a good explanation for where everyone else is (and it really does seem like it since Talos makes the comment about not knowing what to say about where they are), since it's otherwise a bit weak beyond the obvious meta reason of "well you wouldn't have this movie work then."

Blackcyclops

Post by Blackcyclops » 13 Jul 2019, 01:53

My only reason why I could see them not doing that is because it would possible pigeonhole or impact a future film. Since not every script is written, perhaps they don’t want to say specifics yet.
Morrison Era 2001-2005, Decimation Era from 2005-2012, Bendis Era 2012-2016, M-Pox era 2016-2017, and Resurrxion 2017-2019, Hickman Era 2019-?

Jesse James II

Post by Jesse James II » 16 Jul 2019, 13:07

I saw this a couple of days ago and overall I quite loved the movie. I really think they handled the blip well. It was nice to see some of the repercussions, which for obvious reasons were not addressed during End Game. They could have shown more, but I think that would be harmful for the overall pace of the movie.

I enjoyed Mysterio as a villain. It was nice to see how integrated he was in the rest oft the MCU. There were ties to previous movies and I really think his origin story is way better than the made up one from the beginning of the movie. I also liked the whole explanation of the illusions and the elementals and how the whole scheme came to be. Very James Bond like... in a good way.
As usual Tom Holland was spot on. I also like Zendaya's character, but as some of you already pointed out, she shouldn't have called MJ, as she does not feel like MJ. Why not make her a new character? This would make an excellent opportunity to have a MCU character shine in such a way that she could be integrated in the comics later on... that does not happen very often. Now I feel like thzee is this awesome character that has been introduced , that will not appear in other media.
Another thing that bothered me is Aunt May. I would have liked if they gave her more to do in this movie.
I think both Fury and Hill sounded a bit out of character, but that part was covered in the post credits :-)

I must admit that the casting department of these Marvel movies never cease to amaze me. Everytime they announce a new movie I get taken by surprise as I always have a hard time imagining the actors in their role... and every time they do a terrific job. The only downside of this when dealing with Villains, they have the tendancy to kill them or rmove them from the board, which in this case is really a pity cause I woild love to see more of Gyllenhaal in this role... (ok, i admit I might be a little biased here, I would like to see more of Jake in any role ;-) )

Nu-D

Post by Nu-D » 29 Jul 2019, 15:29

Jesse James II wrote:
16 Jul 2019, 13:07
I must admit that the casting department of these Marvel movies never cease to amaze me. Everytime they announce a new movie I get taken by surprise as I always have a hard time imagining the actors in their role... and every time they do a terrific job.
One woman has done virtually all of the significant casting for the MCU:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/arts-ent ... -universe/

Jesse James II

Post by Jesse James II » 29 Jul 2019, 15:38

Hail to my new Queen!

Nu-D

Post by Nu-D » 04 Aug 2019, 13:10

Just saw this last night. More to say later, but first a question:

The dialogue where Peter tells MJ she looks pretty, and she teases him by saying “and therefore I have value,” was that recycled from Homecoming, or do I remember it from a trailer?

Anna Raven

Post by Anna Raven » 04 Aug 2019, 17:59

Nu-D wrote:
04 Aug 2019, 13:10
Just saw this last night. More to say later, but first a question:

The dialogue where Peter tells MJ she looks pretty, and she teases him by saying “and therefore I have value,” was that recycled from Homecoming, or do I remember it from a trailer?
It was in a trailer.
Thunderbolts Draft: Punisher|Black Cat|Moon Knight(as Kraven the Hunter)|Diamondback|Taskmaster|Domino|Nuke|Trickshot |Jolt|Troll
Avengers International Draft: France|Spectrum|Capt. Universe|Swordsman|Batroc|M|Finesse|Deadpool

Cyke

Post by Cyke » 10 Aug 2019, 02:08

Mysterio was great (and no, I don't think he's dead). How they tied in former employees of Stark's helping him from previous films was ingenious.

I gotta ask though - if everything was faked, including his 'origin', then how did he know the correct number designation for this universe? For didn't he claim the MCU was Earth 616? Or was that just to throw off fans from guessing that he was lying that early into the film?
Verda Gildr- 'Become Worthy'

Nu-D

Post by Nu-D » 10 Aug 2019, 03:30

Except, is the MCU designated 616?

I have to say, I thought this movie was pretty dull. About half the jokes fell flat, and half the good ones had been spoiled by trailers. The first act was intentionally meant to evoke hokey comic book plots because it was rigged by Mysterio to be a comic book story. But unfortunately, it just felt like a boring, hokey comic book plot for the first act, and I was bored. Plus, I knew Mysterio was a villain, so the reveal was uninspired.

It had a few moments. Holland and Zendaya have good chemistry. Holland and Happy also have good chemistry. But overall, I was pretty disappointed with this. None of it was bad, it was just pretty dull.

EvilMonkeyPope

Post by EvilMonkeyPope » 10 Aug 2019, 05:37

MCU is Earth-199999.

Magnus

Post by Magnus » 11 Aug 2019, 18:11

When he dropped that line (referring to the MCU as 616) I just immediately thought of all the headaches that would cause for wikis and the like, but thankfully for them it turned out to be a lie.

Spectral Knight

Post by Spectral Knight » 12 Aug 2019, 11:35

I'm pretty sure the 616 line was pure fan-service, and the primary comic universe is still 616.

LimboMaster

Post by LimboMaster » 14 Aug 2019, 17:47

Nu-D wrote:
10 Aug 2019, 03:30
I have to say, I thought this movie was pretty dull. About half the jokes fell flat, and half the good ones had been spoiled by trailers. The first act was intentionally meant to evoke hokey comic book plots because it was rigged by Mysterio to be a comic book story. But unfortunately, it just felt like a boring, hokey comic book plot for the first act, and I was bored. Plus, I knew Mysterio was a villain, so the reveal was uninspired.

It had a few moments. Holland and Zendaya have good chemistry. Holland and Happy also have good chemistry. But overall, I was pretty disappointed with this. None of it was bad, it was just pretty dull.
I agree. I am clearly in the minority in being quite disappointed with the film. In addition to Nu-D's comments, I felt like there was a lot of over-acting (particularly the teachers and many of the students including Ned and MJ at times which really surprised me since I thought they nailed it in the first film) and non-funny slapstick. I would have attributed it to the direction since we've seen almost all of these actors do a great job, but it was the same director as the first. SMH.

Gremlin

Post by Gremlin » 20 Aug 2019, 20:30

https://www.cbr.com/sony-kills-spider-m ... th-marvel/

So sony have decided to part ways with marvel...
Everybody is entitled you their opinion...but yours is wrong.

tokenBG1009

Post by tokenBG1009 » 20 Aug 2019, 21:24

Oof, this could be far reaching.

Considering how Marvel dealt with the X-Men when they didn't have the movie rights would they dare do the same with Spidey? Could that really afford to bury the most popular superhero in the world?
"Sometimes I do feel like I'm a failure. Like there's no hope for me. But even so, I'm not gonna give up. Ever!" -Izuku Midoriya

Gremlin

Post by Gremlin » 20 Aug 2019, 22:10

Obviously we don’t know the ins and outs but I feel Song might be shooting themselves in the foot here...
Everybody is entitled you their opinion...but yours is wrong.

tokenBG1009

Post by tokenBG1009 » 20 Aug 2019, 22:13

A lot of people have complained about Aunt May being side tracked for Tony and Happy so this pretty much resolves that instantly. No more SHIELD means pretty much we're down to Spider-Man and his universe only. No more Iron Man life.
"Sometimes I do feel like I'm a failure. Like there's no hope for me. But even so, I'm not gonna give up. Ever!" -Izuku Midoriya

EphemeristX

Post by EphemeristX » 21 Aug 2019, 03:20

I think Sony's right to do this. Disney pretty much slapped them in the face with a 50/50 offer, especially considering Sony gets no slice of the merchandise pie. It's Sony's only big franchise. They'd be crazy to give HALF of it up to the competition. Sony's the one in control this time with the successes of Venom, Spider-Verse, and the PS4 game. Holland is insanely likeable and has two more pictures in his contract, both of which are very likely to reach the billion dollar club. Disney wants Norman Osborn for the next MCU phase too. Plus, Disney is literally already building a Spider-Man rollercoaster it's going to show off on Sunday -- a feather in the cap their theme park desperately needs after the lukewarm reception to Galaxy's Edge. They're using nearly half of the new Marvel land for Spidey related stuff. It's actually bigger than the Avengers and the Doctor Strange areas. Disney's the one in the bind this time.

I bet this will be resolved pretty quickly. Whoever leaked this to the press is doing so to put pressure on the other company. These negotiations are still ongoing.
http://dancehall-daze.tumblr.com

"Take your baby by the ears
And play upon her darkest fears"

tokenBG1009

Post by tokenBG1009 » 21 Aug 2019, 22:43

Yeah, Sony is pretty much holding the cards right now. I honestly think no MCU for Spider-Man would actually help him considering how he's been in Tony's shadow since his debut.

RingOtaku

Post by RingOtaku » 21 Aug 2019, 23:15

In the longterm Sony needs Spidey to be in the MCU. Nothing they do will be better than Marvel's portrayal especially if the MCU fanbase treats it badly out of spite. Sony needs to let Disney sweat and then come back to the table with a different deal. I don't hate the Sony solo Spidey films, I don't dislike Venom but Sony on its own? Don't see it being as good financially or artistically.
D20 Roulette: A Podcast of Geeks and Raging. https://rouletteproductions.com

EvilMonkeyPope

Post by EvilMonkeyPope » 21 Aug 2019, 23:26

The worst part of the MCU gaining the X-Men but losing Spider-Man is now they can't do a movie inspired by Marvel Team-Up #74.