Welcome to unstablemolecules.com, the discussion home for mightyavengers.net, uncanon.com and uncannyxmen.net!

X-Men Dark Phoenix

Did you see the Dr. Strange Movie from the 70's? Me neither, but I'm sure someone did. Come here to talk about Movies and TV
sambadaemon

Re: X-Men Dark Phoenix

Post by sambadaemon » 09 Jun 2019, 20:59

IMDB and wikipedia both mention Match being in this movie, but I never saw him. Given his powers, he should have been pretty obvious. Did anyone catch him?

_Rick_

Post by _Rick_ » 10 Jun 2019, 01:37

sambadaemon wrote:
09 Jun 2019, 20:59
IMDB and wikipedia both mention Match being in this movie, but I never saw him. Given his powers, he should have been pretty obvious. Did anyone catch him?
He is shown using his powers a couple of times during the Dazzler party scene. He's the one manipulating the flames of the bonfire that triggers Jean after Scott calls her Phoenix.

manuel_mc89

Post by manuel_mc89 » 10 Jun 2019, 01:58

I'll remain on the side that Sophie Turner did a great job and it's the most redeeming quality of the whole movie, and itsy a shame she didn't get better lines, scenes and motivation in the movie, but she is definitely not at fault for the failure of the movie.

However, I am a big fan of her and of Sansa, and maybe that is overlapping somehow, but if that's the case I'll ignore it lol.
Legion: I will circle around you until the stars die an the world has forgotten what makes us different, and I will shatter any future that dares to divide us.

EvilMonkeyPope

Post by EvilMonkeyPope » 10 Jun 2019, 02:48

It earned the lowest domestic opening box office for an X-movie:
https://deadline.com/2019/06/dark-phoen ... 202629749/
This video is on point: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o952kUxFXzo

Nu-D

Post by Nu-D » 10 Jun 2019, 10:46

EvilMonkeyPope wrote:
10 Jun 2019, 02:48
It earned the lowest domestic opening box office for an X-movie:
https://deadline.com/2019/06/dark-phoen ... 202629749/
This video is on point: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o952kUxFXzo
That Deadline article might have the most dreadfully bad writing I’ve ever seen in a supposedly professional publication. For example,

“Now, for quite some time, the last two Bryan Singer X-Men movies (Days of Future Past and Apocalypse) and even 2009’s Wolverine: X-Men Origins have been Frankenstein-ed together during their last phases of production.”

What does that even mean? I understand the phrase “Frankensteined together,” but how has that been going on “for quite some time”? That phase indicates something ongoing. But the process of “Frankensteining” (ugh) these movies ended a long time ago.

It’s like the writer just inserted random cliches here and there, without even understanding what they mean. Maybe it was written by AI?

Anna Raven

Post by Anna Raven » 10 Jun 2019, 11:39

I don't think it takes much to be an entertainment writer these days, especially for a purely online publication.

Or phrased another way:

I don't think it takes much to be an entertainment writer now, for quite some time, especially for a purely online publication, as they can be Frankenstein's together.
Marvel vs DC Draft: Wonder Woman|Thor|Ares - DC|Shazam!|Hercules|Loki|Dream of the Endless|Valkyrie|Ares - Marvel
Thunderbolts Draft: Punisher|Black Cat|Moon Knight(as Kraven the Hunter)|Diamondback|Taskmaster|Domino|Nuke|Trickshot |Jolt|Troll

Nu-D

Post by Nu-D » 10 Jun 2019, 11:56

Anna Raven wrote:
10 Jun 2019, 11:39
I don't think it takes much to be an entertainment writer these days, especially for a purely online publication.

Or phrased another way:

I don't think it takes much to be an entertainment writer now, for quite some time, especially for a purely online publication, as they can be Frankenstein's together.
:lol:

Now, for quite some time, you had to start every paragraph with “now” to Frankenstein together that sentence.

sambadaemon

Post by sambadaemon » 10 Jun 2019, 13:49

They didn't show her, but the portal effect they used to get to the party looked a lot like the one they used for Blink in DOFP, too.

EvilMonkeyPope

Post by EvilMonkeyPope » 10 Jun 2019, 21:32

They're already throwing it under the bus: https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat- ... ns-1216859

Nu-D

Post by Nu-D » 10 Jun 2019, 22:58

I don’t understand movie executives. Why do they think movies are seasonal? Is that really a thing? Are you not interested in a blockbuster just because it’s February? How does that notion make any sense?

And this is not the first time I’ve seen an article say, “the executives took the wrong message away from the failure/success of this or that movie.” And then when they say what the message was, I think “why would they think that was the problem? Every review I’ve read, every fan I’ve heard from, agree that was the good part and the other part is what sucked.”

Blackcyclops

Post by Blackcyclops » 11 Jun 2019, 02:06

To be fair, there was a time in which they were correct about it.

Because theaters were air conditioned, kids were out of school, and TV was typically only airing re-runs, summer has been the time that “big” movies were generally released. In the same vein, “Oscar” bait comes out closer to Oscar voting time to be fresher in the mind of voters and after film festivals.
Morrison Era 2001-2005, Decimation Era from 2005-2012, Bendis Era 2012-2016, M-Pox era 2016-2017, and Resurrxion 2017-2019, Hickman Era 2019-?

RingOtaku

Post by RingOtaku » 11 Jun 2019, 02:31

Also horror movies typically do better in Fall because of Halloween and the fact people are willing to get into a more spooky mindset, unless it is already an established franchise. New Horror is for October. Christmas is your family movies (Harry Potter) as people are in that "happy jolly" mindset. Yes some studios buck those trends but there is precedent.
D20 Roulette: A Podcast of Geeks and Raging. https://rouletteproductions.com

EvilMonkeyPope

Post by EvilMonkeyPope » 11 Jun 2019, 05:05

If it's too cold out I won't go to the theater.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w0s9mUXhHZ8

Nu-D

Post by Nu-D » 11 Jun 2019, 14:13

I guess it makes sense for movies that are themselves seasonally relevant. But for movies that don’t have seasonal themes or plots, it seems like a relic of a different era.

Anna Raven

Post by Anna Raven » 11 Jun 2019, 14:45

I'd say it's far more important to make sure your movie doesn't open on the same weekend as another huge movie, than to make sure it comes out during summer.
Marvel vs DC Draft: Wonder Woman|Thor|Ares - DC|Shazam!|Hercules|Loki|Dream of the Endless|Valkyrie|Ares - Marvel
Thunderbolts Draft: Punisher|Black Cat|Moon Knight(as Kraven the Hunter)|Diamondback|Taskmaster|Domino|Nuke|Trickshot |Jolt|Troll

WorldWideWade

Post by WorldWideWade » 11 Jun 2019, 15:14

Anna Raven wrote:
11 Jun 2019, 14:45
I'd say it's far more important to make sure your movie doesn't open on the same weekend as another huge movie, than to make sure it comes out during summer.
Which is ironic because all the big movies tend to group up close together in the summer.
Current Pull List
Hickman's X-men, Runaways, Champions

WorldWideWade

Post by WorldWideWade » 11 Jun 2019, 15:26

Those rumors that the ending changed because of Captain Marvel (which I never thought made sense) are outlined in this article from CBR.

https://www.cbr.com/x-men-dark-phoenix- ... ed-ending/

Apparently the ending was too similar to Civil War with Cyclops, Jean and Xavier against Vuk being similar to the Tony, Cap, Bucky fight.
Current Pull List
Hickman's X-men, Runaways, Champions

das_boot

Post by das_boot » 12 Jun 2019, 23:19

Okay, negatives first:
-Dazzler’s face paint. NO. SORRY. DO BETTER. THE X-GAYS HAVE WAITED DECADES FOR DAZZLER AND YOU GIVE US VALENTINA-GREEDY LEVEL BAD LIP SYNC ARTIST WITH BAD FACE PAINT
-Jessica Chastain. No. Not keen.
-The almost arrogant performances of J-Law and Evan Peters. We get it, you think you’re too good for the franchise. Bye.
-the absolute brazen bare-faced nerve and audacity to give SELENE a BUZZCUT.
-the general lack of detail for the students. Ffs. Just stick a pink wig on a girl and give her some wings. Call her Pixie. Give a female student a white streak and globes and call her Rogue. Stick some fake fur on a kid and call him wolfcub. IT IS NOT DIFFICULT, BITCH.
-for a movie where the cast are claiming that they needed to reshoot because it was too similar to the ending of another movie, they sure copied the hell out of the ending of the last Nolan Batman with the “let’s randomly meet up in Paris after this all blows over and we’re retired” thing.

The “meh”
-Storm. Halle Berry’s performance as Storm was never great. Why did we get Alexandra Shipp doing her impression of Halle Berry Storm?
-Why did Kurt need a helmet and space suit but Jean didn’t?

The good
— Sophie Turner carried the crap out of this movie. She managed to not only portray the emotional side of Jean, but also the absolute coldness of Dark Phoenix.
— Xavier and Magneto— I mean, standard
— the train fight scene. Genuinely possibly one of the best fight scenes we’ve had since the first X-Men movie.
— Cyclops... genuinely think this is the best version of Cyclops that we’ve seen. Growing in confidence and stepping into a leadership role.
— the little nods to the comics/other movies... Bishop Power, MCU on the jackets of the guards on the train...

On balance, I liked it more than I expected to, and I liked it more than I disliked it. I think it’s genuinely a far superior re-telling of DPS than X3, and you know what? Sophie Turner (whilst her accent wasn’t perfect) is a really good Jean Grey. I REALLY hope that she ends up transferring to the MCU, to be honest.
ASPIRING WRITERS!

Check out the “Writing Challenges” thread in the Uncanon Mess Hall!

Flapflop

Post by Flapflop » 19 Jun 2019, 13:10

I concur, i like the movie as well. Going a second time next weekend even.

Its not exellent but far from the disaster al those haters want to tell you online. Its better then Wolverin Origins, The Wolverine, Last stand and Apocalypse. Logan, Days of future Past and X2 remain the best X-movies so far. DP is somewhere in the middle.

My list:

Logan
Days of future Past (Roque cut)
Days of future Past (Original version)
X2
First Class
Deadpool 2 (original R-rated version)
Dark Phoenix
Deadpool
X1
Apocalypse
The Wolverine
Last Stand
Deadpool 2 (pg13 version)
Wolverine Origins
"There are some things you're better off not knowing. Believe me. You keep this up and soon...bang bang...you'll cry Havok!."

EphemeristX

Post by EphemeristX » 19 Jun 2019, 15:46

That's pretty close to my order, Flapflop. I'd put Dark Phoenix in the middling area but better than the crappier Fox fare.
http://dancehall-daze.tumblr.com

"Take your baby by the ears
And play upon her darkest fears"

Anna Raven

Post by Anna Raven » 19 Jun 2019, 15:53

Mine is pretty different, I'd go:

Logan
X2
First Class
Deadpool
X1
Deadpool 2 (original R-rated version)
The Wolverine
Days of future Past (Rogue cut)
Days of future Past (Original version)
Apocalypse
Dark Phoenix
Wolverine Origins
Last Stand

I never saw the PG13 Deadpool 2 cut.
Last edited by Anna Raven on 20 Jun 2019, 02:09, edited 1 time in total.

Nu-D

Post by Nu-D » 20 Jun 2019, 02:08

Maybe I should try watching DofP again. I’ll make sure it’s the “Rogue cut.”

I did see it, and don’t remember hating it. All I remember though is that it had Blink and Bishop. I can’t remember the villain, the plot, or even which other X-Men were in it. I presume Xavier, Magneto and Mystique. Was this the one with Havok and Angel? Or was that First Class?

Or, wait... was Angel introduced along with Storm and uh, some others, in Apocalypse? I just re-watched Apocalype, and I think Angel was in a gladiator scene? Cage fighting with Kurt, I think?

Anna Raven

Post by Anna Raven » 20 Jun 2019, 02:13

Havok was barely in it, but Angel didn't show up until Apocalypse. Havok was a much bigger player in First Class. The villain in DoFP was Trask and the Sentinels, but also Magneto to some extent.

The Rogue cut is marginally better, but honestly I didn't like how they made her into a damsel in distress at first. It was pretty obvious she was just included to give Anna Paquin something to do, which is probably why they ultimately cut it.

Cable

Post by Cable » 20 Jun 2019, 14:03

I didn't watch this movie, but from the first page of this thread:
Cable wrote:
25 Apr 2017, 23:40
If the Shi'ar are in this movie I will eat my hat
Can someone confirm that I do not need to do this?
Best X-Comic last week: Powers of X #4
Best non X-Comic last week: Silver Surfer Black #4

Anna Raven

Post by Anna Raven » 20 Jun 2019, 14:13

Cable wrote:
20 Jun 2019, 14:03
I didn't watch this movie, but from the first page of this thread:
Cable wrote:
25 Apr 2017, 23:40
If the Shi'ar are in this movie I will eat my hat
Can someone confirm that I do not need to do this?
You do not. However, if you had gone even deeper and sworn the D'Bari would not be in this movie, you'd be chewing on some hat right now.