Welcome to unstablemolecules.com, the discussion home for mightyavengers.net, uncanon.com and uncannyxmen.net!

Game of Thrones

Did you see the Dr. Strange Movie from the 70's? Me neither, but I'm sure someone did. Come here to talk about Movies and TV
acolyte47

Re: Game of Thrones

Post by acolyte47 » 25 Nov 2016, 22:07

EvilMonkeyPope wrote:Game of Thrones season six came out on DVD earlier than expected this year, & watching it has been cathartic. It was nice to see so many tertiary characters I thought they’d forgotten about. (I’m still waiting on Nymeria’s triumphant return.) While watching “The Winds of Winter” where winter finally comes to Westeros (do they need to worry about erratic seasons in Essos as well or is it localized to one continent?), it snowed outside! I’m am very excited for next season’s Clash of Queens, even if it’s lopsided against Cersei.

R.I.P. Roose Bolton, Ramsay Bolton, Walder Frey, & Margaery Baratheon nee Tyrell. I’m on Team Cunning Bastards, so I’m honestly heartbroken these social climbers won’t be running Westeros at the end of the tale. They’re so much worthier than the blandly upstanding & guileless Starks!

The worst part of the season was than Jon Snow stopped being dead! The only way I would’ve accepted this was if his mind was permanently warged inside of Ghost’s body. He doesn’t seem to have suffered any drawbacks to his resurrection since he’s ostensibly the Chosen One. It didn’t even get rid of his perpetually confused expression. UGH. Jon Snow is an insipid moron unfit to be Warden of the North! He would’ve gotten all his forces slaughtered at the Battle of the Bastards if it wasn’t for Littlefinger’s army. With all the queens awesomely seizing power, it was disappointing that the North got stuck with this schmuck by default.
https://mattthecatania.wordpress.com/20 ... f-thrones/
I understand why they gave Jon the storyline but like with Dorne it really really felt contrived. Ramsey (book wise) is very much a Theon villian and they basically cut out Asha and Stannis' storylines to setup the Battle of the B's. A lot of hoop jumping was required.

Dany and Cersei however had excellent season's as far as show quality goes.

medium13

Post by medium13 » 17 Jul 2017, 19:15

Season 7 Episode 1: Dragonstone - Spoilers be here.

Dragonstone, the first episode of the new season followed a similar, if more condensed path as season premiers past with a few notable and exciting big moments. Before we get to the events of the actual episode, I think it's worth noting what a great job was done with the opening montage of events leading up to this season. Nothing too telegraphed, but a lot of information about all the characters we have left created with thought and care.

We open with the majority of men of importance in House Frey being poisoned at a feast completed by a disguised Arya. Maisie Williams said in an interview that she hoped that some people were fooled - if at least momentarily - that it was Arya disguised as Walder Frey. I don't think that's possible given that her execution of him was a stand out moment last season, but lacking any element of surprise for this reveal didn't diminish at all from this moment. Arya not only executes them en mass, but also manages to give them a stinging rebuke for the Red Wedding and prove that she's willing to discriminate on her kills by sparing Frey's young wife seated next to h(er). Cautioning the Freys that "The North Remembers" and that if you leave one wolf alive, no sheep are safe, Arya struts out of the Twins like a badass. Jumping to her next scene with Lannister solidier Ed Sheeran, Arya gets a reminder that the townsfolk are simple people with goodness in them. My main complaint with this episode is how much time this eats up and it is somewhat unnecessary as Arya, although quick to kill a Lannister or Frey, has showed some amount of restraint in the past. If we didn't have this cameo (which was surprisingly pretty good), maybe we could have had more time at Dragonstone or in some other storyline.

We get a look at Cersei and Jamie charting out their next steps to fulfill their "dynasty". Their interaction is strained as Cersei blames Jamie for the death of Joffrey, death of Tywin, and Tyrion's escape. Cersei is even more fearful now and everybody knows it as she has nothing left to lose. Two things about this scene bothered me, although I'm willing to overlook them both. The first is that Jamie has completely adopted that the children were his and Cersei doesn't rebuke him. She should and I think naturally, even at this stage she would. Cersei doesn't think of them as Jamie's children. Or Robert's children. They were always *her* children. Second, Cersei has so much information so soon after the events of last season that I question the timeline here. She knows Daneyrs is en route with dragons with Tyrion at her side. She knows that Sansa stands beside Jon who was named King of the North in Winterfell. She knows that Lady Olena (and seemingly the great houses of the Reach) support Danerys. The introduction of Euron, and Cersei's display of political prowess suggests she's going to seal their alliance with a marriage. I am both glad she rejected this proposal and her reasons for doing so and disappointed as I quite look forward to these two schemers working against each other for a mutual goal. He promises, after an great jab at Jamie to bring Cersei a "priceless gift." Is it Tyrion? Is it a dragon?

In the North, and my opinion the most interesting and strongest scenes of the night we see Sansa flex her political muscles by telling Brienne that she knows what Lord Baelish wants, that Cersei is a grave danger to the North, and that Houses Karstark and Umber should not be rewarded for their disloyalty to House Stark. Sansa's assessments are an obvious mirror of Cersei's tutelage (as is her hairstyle) and Jon points out that she seems to admire Cersei. Sansa seems to acknowledge a certain appreciation for Cersei but also points out to Jon that he's good at leading, that he should avoide the mistakes that Ned and Robb made. She could also be right that rewarding disloyal houses in the North may sow discord amongst the other houses. While there is going to be continued tension between Jon and Sansa, I am hopeful they can also continue to have these conversations to maintain Northern rule. Jon continues to show an affinity for thinking outside the box and inspiring loyalty, by declaring all the North should be armed and trained for the coming battles, primarily against the Night King. There is a lot of potential foreshadowing in these scenes, i.e. the wall could fall, Sansa may marry Baelish to secure the Knights of the Vale, Cersei will plot within Winterfell to kill Jon or even march armies on the North. It is my hope that the growing bond and appreciate between Jon and Sansa, while capable of being strained cannot be broken.

We see more changes with the Hound and he develops the ability to see events in the fire. In hindsight, I didn't love this portion of the show. I mean, it was nice enough and the dialogue kept me entertained but I feel like we know that the Hound is remorseful. We saw almost an entire episode dedicated to that issue last season. Although, his abilities in divination set up an interesting dynamic of non-belief coupled with 'proof' of the existence of the divine.

Samwell's baby has grown in proportions and we get a pretty disgusting montage of life at the citadel. This is probably, and shockingly, the least bored I've been by a Samwell scene. He steals the keys to get into the restricted section of the library and finds out that according to history texts, there is a large amount of dragonglass buried on Dragonstone. Okay. Again, did we need all of this or can we get some more of Dany's crew? Melisandre? We also find out that Jorah is being held in the citadel and his greyscale looks bad.

Dany arrives at Dragonstone and we have a powerful, silent few minutes of her exploring her birthplace. Why is NO ONE at Dragonstone? It seems odd that no one is there at all. Stannis didn't leave anyone? Cersei didn't send anyone to claim the castle? Seems odd. I am not complaining that Dany didn't have any dialogue in these scenes. I think the silence and the simple line of "Shall we begin?" was very effective. I might have liked to see some dialogue on the ship on the way there. Perhaps an explanation of Dany's current trust of her dragons? Perhaps an idea of what Tyrion feels about returning home to wage war on his family? Perhaps some trepidation about bringing an army of former slaves and Dothraki 'savages' to the West? Still, I'm super excited for next week and Dany's costuming (and Melissandei's) is badass.

AntiBody

Post by AntiBody » 17 Jul 2017, 19:44

Loved this episode. The editing was incredible, and we had some spectacular performances from much of the cast. So good to be back in Westeros!!

My main thoughts and take-aways:
  • I haven't thought of Euron as much of a threat/villain. The show really dropped the Iron Islands stuff a while back, so when Euron came and killed Balon last season, I was like, "Who's this guy? The show is winding to a close with the last Lannister war and the war against the White Walkers, and they introduce a new villain in this guy?? What the hell!" And while I still kind of feel that way now, I got chills when he promised to bring back a priceless gift for Cersei. Definitely gonna be someone's head - no idea whose. I'm a little scared.
  • Speaking of chills, that's ALL I got when the Hound had his vision in the fire. Damn that was eerie. That popping of the fire? Eastwatch-By-The-Sea is screwed, as is Tormund and his friends. Are we thinking that's where the Wall is going to first break or collapse? I've been reading a lot of theories about Bran's potential "involvement" in the Wall coming down.
  • We all thought Cersei was going to become the Mad Queen after the end of last season, but damn she's going at it harder than I thought she would. I feel now more than ever that Jamie's going to be the one to kill her.
  • Bet you Sam cures Jorah of his grayscale using the books from the restricted section. Then Jorah will take Sam to Dragonstone where, boom, he can tell Dany about the mountain of dragonglass. (Also, I'm sure many of y'all have seen them, but there are the most amazing memes out there about the last time someone asked Professor Slughorn about books in the restricted section and how that didn't end well at all lolol.)
  • Sansa is being way too reckless and careless with Littlefinger. Yeah, she's grown a bunch and is a player in the game now, but Littlefinger has been playing way longer than she has. Hell, he practically started this particular round of the game by poisoning Jon Arryn. She knows she and Jon need to be smart, but they especially need to be smart about him. He could bring everything they're building down around them.
Just so happy the show's back. :D :D :D
Guardians Of The Galaxy Draft: Nova (Richard Rider), Quasar (Wendell Vaughn), Moondragon, Darkhawk, Plutonia, Hiroim, Ikon, Malik Tarcel, Manta
Nemeses: The Fraternity of Raptors

medium13

Post by medium13 » 25 Jul 2017, 17:46

Episode 2 : Stormborn

I loved this episode so much but also hated it. It opens with a storm raging on Dragonstone and Dany beginning to determine a war strategy. She's frustrated any lays into Varys about his shifting allegiances in a surprisingly gratifying take down of his history. Yeah, this guy has betrayed and plotted against a number of kings and was certainly involved in the plot to assassinate Dany. One review called this exchange boring, but I really enjoyed it. It's been replaying in my mind. Dany asks for his loyalty and honesty before he plots but also serves a warning that she will burn him alive if he betrays her. Melisandre arrives and joins the Scooby gang. This is such a Motley Crew. Dany agrees to send word to Winterfell to invite Jon Snow to bend the knee.

Later, There seems to be some bad omens here as a confident Dany remarks that there aren't too many lions, and most of her war council suggests she take King's Landing in a massive siege that can only last a day. Tyrion advises caution, to preserve casualty and her kingdom. There is some tension among the council. Ellaria is as hot blooded as ever, Tyrion takes her to task for the murder of Myrcella, Olenna isn't there to support her Queen but to destroy Cersei. They get the war council to agree to a strategy based on Tyrion's suggestion they attack the real seat of power in Westeros - his ancestral home and desired inheritance, Casterly Rock. Pretty bold. Olenna and Dany have a heart to heart where Olenna encourages Daneyrs to be a dragon and not rely on Tyrion. This seems like an important piece of advice, as Dany is prone to second guessing herself from time to time and all signs of this episode point to the fact that taking Westeros may be more difficult then they think.

In Kings Landing, Cersei tries to convince some bannermen of House Tyrell to support the crown. She gives some evidence that Dany is as bad as her father and relies on racism. It seems she's successful and when she can't win over loyal Tyrell supporters, Jamie suggests the will depose the Tyrells as Wardens of the South. In the Red Keep's basement, Cersei takes a tour of the dragon skulls and Qyburn shows her their plan to kill the dragons - a big cross bow. I think this is a lame weapon to use against he dragons, but I also fear it will be successful to the extent that the bad guys come out on top a lot. I'm actually afraid for at least one of the dragons.

Over in Winterfell, Jon contemplates going to Dragonstone over the objection of his lords as well as Sansa. The Jon/Sansa tension continues to as Sansa questions him again in front of the lords and shares an exchange with Littlefinger when it's announced that Sansa will be the Stark in Winterfell. I'm not a fan of the Jon/Sansa tension and I want them to be able to utilize both of the skills they've developed over the course of this series to their mutual benefit but I am also curious what Winterfell will look like under Sansa's 'rule'. Will her fear of Cersei make her utilize her army in a way Jon does not agree with? Will she form another alliance? Arya has reunions with both Hotpie and Nymeria. She accepts that Nymeria is no longer a domesticated animal and is heartbroken but seems to be heading north to Winterfell after hearing that Jon is the lord there - although she'll probably miss him.

Sam starts an experimental cure for Grayscale on Jorah. Where is the Grayscale story going? I still don't really enjoy parts with Sam.

Ellaria and the Greyjoys are attacked en route to...well, it could either be King's Landing with Dornish Army or prior to arriving in Dorne. They are utterly destroyed by Euron's fleet and it's kind of impressive but also kind of hard to determine what's going on. I am upset that Euron, the new ~it~ villain is able to kill two Sand Snakes with their own weapons and humiliate their dignity with their corpses. Thatsucks. Dorne has been so mishandled that I just can't understand what the writers are thinking anymore. The Sand Snakes are not as exciting or cool on the show, but I really like them in the books. Elleria and Yara are most likely taken prisoner to be paraded through King's Landing as gifts to Cersei. Theon jumps overboard rater than face is uncle and the mutilation the crew experiences.

LimboMaster

Post by LimboMaster » 30 Jul 2017, 00:50

So, in Episode 2 when Arya comes upon the wolves, what did she mean when she whispered "it's not her" as Nymeria was walking away? Anyone catch that or know what she meant? I haven't seen any episode summaries speak to that. The one above says she accepts Nymeria as not domesticated. I don't know if that's meant to explain this but, if so, not sure how that explains what "it's not her" means. The most obvious answer is that she meant "it's not Nymeria" but surely there isn't another Dire wolf running around that Arya just happens to run into and it decides to leave her alone. Did I misunderstand what Arya said or am I missing some sort of context to know what she meant?

Anna Raven

Post by Anna Raven » 30 Jul 2017, 09:58

Ok so I thought exactly as you did. But if you watch the "Inside Look" of the episode which is only available through their streaming service, the Director tells you that its a callback to Season 1, when Ned is talking to Arya about being a proper lady and Arya says "that's not me." So now, Arya has had the tables turned, she's asked Nymeria to come with her to Winterfell and Nymeria decides to stay with her pack, and so Arya says "that's not her."

I appreciate callbacks as much as the next person but that was really reaching and obscure and I doubt anyone got the context on their own without the inside look to fill them in.
Thunderbolts Draft: Punisher | Black Cat | Moon Knight (as Kraven the Hunter) | Diamondback | Taskmaster | Domino | Nuke | Trickshot | Jolt | Troll

Milkshake08

Post by Milkshake08 » 31 Jul 2017, 06:00

No. Just, no GoT.

Olenna is a goddess. The acting in episode 3 was amazing on all parts except the constant weak link of Jon Snow, the worst actor and most boring character ever to grace the screen. This was a long, talky episode but damn was it good.

XtremeOne1

Post by XtremeOne1 » 31 Jul 2017, 06:17

I would say Dany is A LOT worse. I'm tired of her, "I'm Queen! I've got dragons! I'll take what's mine!" There just isn't depth to her character. I love that she lost all her allies. All be glad if Greyworm dies so we never have to see another "Dany's BFFs in love scene!" and honestly, every character who interacts with Dany gets worse. Varys was better then he has been in forever with just one scene with Melissandre. Tyrion, who's been boring FOREVER, finally had a personality again.

I don't know, there is just a lot about Dany' story that bugs me. Like the fact she teams with awful humans and the all of a sudden the Dorthraki are well behaved boys, not rapists, pillagers and slavers.

Just compare Cersei and Dany. One Queen we know is doomed and is going to lose but on acting alone, I'm actually intimated by Cersei. Dany's boosting always falls flat on me. "I've got three dragons!" We get it!

I'm never been the biggest Jon fan either. I think both tend to be more of the one dimensional, plot armored, Mary/Gary Sue type of characters but I just feel Dany is a blackhole for many characters, while Jon doesn't have that affect(Sansa, Davos, etc..) .

So yeah, I loved another sort of win for Team Cersei if it knocks Dany down. Woo, go team evil! Of course, seeing Olenna die was tough but, per usual, she went out like a boss and pretty much won. "Tell her, I want her to know." HA, wonderful.

AntiBody

Post by AntiBody » 31 Jul 2017, 11:49

Noooo, Olenna!! As I'm sure (or at least, as I hope) most others do, my friends and I like pretending that we're from certain houses - I represent Highgarden in my group, and last season's finale and this episode were tough to take. Ugh I'm going to miss her. I'm glad she got a scene with Dany last episode though, and an inspiring one it seems to be.

Loved this episode! Dany and Jon meeting was everything I wanted it to be. I figured they'd butt heads at first, and I'm glad to see they came to some sort of agreement. I'm also glad Tyrion gave Jon that "reasonable" talk - did Jon really expect Dany to be like, "Oh, ice zombies? Sure, totes take my dragonz." Really excited to see where they go with this.

Cerise's becoming more and more unhinged, isn't she? Mad Queen indeed.
Guardians Of The Galaxy Draft: Nova (Richard Rider), Quasar (Wendell Vaughn), Moondragon, Darkhawk, Plutonia, Hiroim, Ikon, Malik Tarcel, Manta

tokenBG1009

Post by tokenBG1009 » 31 Jul 2017, 13:01

At this point, if Jaime doesn't put her down I'll be surprised and disappointed.
"Sometimes I do feel like I'm a failure. Like there's no hope for me. But even so, I'm not gonna give up. Ever!" -Izuku Midoriya

Milkshake08

Post by Milkshake08 » 31 Jul 2017, 16:00

Yeah, my hopes for how any deaths play out are:
Jamie kills Cersei
Brienne kills Jamie
The Hound kills the Mountain

Who's left on Arya's list? She needs a few more to kill too. Thinking about this episode, you know, Ellaria's actress was wonderful and I felt for her, but really she's just as bad as Cersei. Cersei didn't have Oberyn killed; he was standing up for Tyrion. Ellaria killed Cersei's daughter, her lover's brother (who was also her king) and her lover's nephew (her prince). She kind of deserves this. I'm still sad that they destroyed the Martells so thoroughly on the show, since I actually find them fascinating in the book and really want to know how Arienne, a major character in the book they completely cut out of the show, plays a part in the final moments (perhaps she's the Ellaria of the books?).

Can Sam please do something other than be annoying? Are we going to see Gendry this season? How does he play a part? Is Stannis really dead? I'm starting to think maybe not (we didn't see Brienne kill him). The more the show goes on, the more side characters are getting less and less to do (Podrick, Gilly, Varys). Only four episodes left of this season.

And I completely disagree that Dany is the boring character. She's had real character growth, even if you don't like her. Jon is quite literally the typical fantasy literature savior character. He broods, he goes through "tragedies" and he never really changes. He's the main male character of every fantasy novel I've ever read, and I read a lot of fantasy. He's the character I always roll my eyes at and think "Oh, you again." He's the author's stand in.

medium13

Post by medium13 » 31 Jul 2017, 17:04

I also have to disagree that Dany is a boring character. I loved the pageantry of this episode and it's kind of a break in the 4th wall. Dany displaying her titles was meant to intimidate Jon Snow and bring him into line. She's trying to figure out Westerosi politics which are way more subtle than she's used to from her time in Essos. Here, she tried three different approaches but lost each time because she can't quite grasp yet what Jon is really concerned about. This is also the first time that Dany shows a bit of trauma about being sold to the Dothraki and acknowledges that she was raped. It helps connect the dots about why she's so passionate about both slavery and the common people. Sentiments that Varys and Melisandre both agree they are removed from now in their ominous, foreboding scene. I couldn't help but wonder what's Varys's role in all this? We've seen he hates magic. He hates Melisandre and acts threatened by her, but he supports Danyrs and her magic dragons? Something feel off there.

I'm a little turned off by life in the citadel, where everything is honky dory and Jorah is cured of Greyscale. I'm curious how this will tie into the bigger story, but although I don't hate Sam as much as I once did, these are consistently my least favorite scenes of the show.

Bran returns to Winterfell and it's clear that any expectations that Sansa might have had about sweet Bran being the same as before are gone. He's as changed as Sansa, as Jon, and as I imagine we'll see soon, Arya. Will a reunion with Arya lose it's emotional impact? I still felt the feels for Sansa and Bran although Bran's detachment is alarming. I also found it alarming that Sansa highlighted that Bran is the "trueborn" heir to Winterfell, which could be an omen of more strife between herself and Jon or just that Sansa clings to the traditions she knows and has been taught. My hope is that while the Starks may play differently, that their bond as family remains intact.

Cersei ability to turn the tide of this war is pretty amazing. She requests time from the Iron Bank and looks like she can deliver on her promise by sacrificing Casterly Rock and charting the fall of Highgarden. She's still careless, and I think her demeanor of I'm the Queen, and I can do whatever I want including being openly incestuous with my brother are going to come back for her...soon. I'm glad her more gruesome ideas for the Sandsnakes don't come to pass but I think that may be all we see of them for the rest of the show.

Goodbye, Lady Olenna. What a treat you have been. I'm sad that House Tyrell falls but I love her political saavy and her take no prisoners attitude even in defeat. Jamie must come to her in the highest parts of the castle. She controls the conversation about how it will end. She questions what the legacy of House Tyrell will be and then takes the last bit of victory by revealing that she poisoned Joffrey. It was masterful. Even better, we don't actually see her die on screen.

Super exciting episode. I'm eager for more.

Monolith

Post by Monolith » 31 Jul 2017, 17:22

At this point, I think the show/books will end with Jorah Mormont being the new Lord Commander of the Night's Watch. Explicitly naming Jeor Mormont as the 997th Lord Commander is such ridiculous foreshadowing that the 1000th Commander is coming and he's going to be a big deal. So with Jon as the 998th, and the current What's-His-Name as 999th, Jorah will come in next. He can't end up with Dany, or even be around Dany for the reasons explained to Dario last season. Obviously, Bear Island is in better hands now, and I think there's still technically a death sentence on his head in Westeros for slave trading. In the books, at least, Jeor's last words were that he forgave his son, but he should take the black to redeem his honor. Putting a Mormont back on the Wall is the best ending Jorah could hope for.

(Of course, this all assumes the Wall and the Night's Watch continue to exist or have a reason for existing after the war with the Night King, but...)
"If you want to tell people the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you." -- Oscar Wilde

MartijnB

Post by MartijnB » 02 Aug 2017, 16:27

Dutch comedy news website had the leaked script of Episode 4. It is glorious and I want to share it. Some details are direct references to recent affairs in my country (like indeed whether young boys can wee outdoors or not)
ARYA
I'm gonna kill Cersei I tell ya.
JON SNOW
I'm hungry.
NIGHT KING
There are some sandwiches left.
[JONS SNOW eats a sandwich and looks doubtful]
JON SNOW
what were you saying, Sansa?
ARYA
Arya.
JON SNOW
Sorry, I think this sandwich's gone off. From when is this egg salad?
[DAVID HASSELHOFF enters. Applause.]
HASSELHOFF
Did someone say egg salad?
[HASSELHOFF laughs. ED SHEERAN is impaled by a sword through his temple. Blood flows from his skull, the snow colours red]
NIGHT KING
Whoa, David Hasselhoff! Never thought I'd see you in Winterfell. What did you come for?
HASSELHOFF
The makers thought it'd be nice if I'd have a cameo of a few minutes. Just a few lines, then I'll be on my way.
NIGHT KING
Shame, I'd rather have you than that fat Samwell.
JON SNOW
Well, well, well. That's not nice.
KITT
David, we must go
HASSELHOFF
Damn guys, gotta go, seeya around! Good luck in the next few episodes! Have a nice day!
ARYA
Right, back to the storyline, how is Daenarys doing?
[CUT TO: DRAGONSTONE, Daenarys is on her throne and is flanked by Tyrion, Grey Worm and Carice van Houten]
TYRION
Khaleesi, while I was having a walk just now, one of your dragons called me a fat imp. I thought you said they wouldn't do that.
DAENARYS
I am Khaleeso, mother of dragons and rightful heir of the throne. I freed a whole race of slaves in season 2 or 3, and the Dothraki obey me. How dare you speak to me like that? My dragons can't even talk.
GREY WORM
Cunnilingus.
TYRION
Mmm?
GREY WORM
That's what I do now, because they cut off my penis. Will someone visit the tobacconist today? I wanted to buy a scratch card, but I have to conquer Westeros.
TYRION
Trust me Khaleesi. That Rhaegal keeps on taunting me, I can't stand it any longer. Like my father always said: seeya later aligator.
DAENARYS
I will have you beheaded. That is my verdict.
[RHAEGAL sticks his enormous head through an open window]
RHAEGAL
Hey mates how's it hanging?
[Applause and cheering]
CARICE VAN HOUTEN
Help, a dragon. Luckily I'm a sorceress.
TYRION, sighing
If only you could make yourself disappear.
[Cheering, people hit each other on the shoulders]
[SER JORAH enters on his horse. The orchestra plays Dutch Sinterklaas music]
SER JORAH
I'll be going to the tobacconist in a bit, does someone need scratch cards?
[CUT TO: Highgarden. Jaime Lannister walks outside the castle through the grass with Bronn]
JAIME
... so I say to the fish shop: I don't care what sort of fish, as long as there is as much bycatch as possible. You should have seen his face.
BRONN
Haha yes.
JAIME
But anyway, as I was saying about my sister. She is...
BRONN
What sister?
JAIME
What?
BRONN
What sister?
JAIME
Huh? Surely you know I have a sister?
BRONN
Who?
JAIME
Cersei.
BRONN
Oooh now I get it!
[A small child enters the scene, he seems lost and pulls Jaime's sleeve]
JAIME
What's this?
CHILD
I have to wee.
JAIME
Come, I'll help
[JAIME helps the child. A stranger in a black cape comes from behind a tree. It's THEON]
THEON
What a lovely gesture. I will reward you for that. Helping little boys wee, what a noble cause. I will give you this amulet.
JAIME
I agree, boys should be able to wee. What is this amulet?
THEON
A magical one, look.
[THEON rubs the amulet, and a scooter arrives with a free curry]
JAIME
My favourite!
THEON
You are welcome, kingslayer.
[THEON vanishes in a puff of smoke, JAIME enjoys his curry]
BRONN
Can I have some?
JAIME
I thought you didn't like curry.
BRONN
Now, I don't like Mexican food.
[Cue tragic music. Fade out]
[CUT to Winterfell, NIGHT KING is having a lovely monologue]
NIGHT KING
I hate being a party pooper guys, but I should be killing you all.
ARYA
What?!
NIGHT KING
Yeah, sorry. I'm a zombie, that is sort of what we do.
JON SNOW
Bullshit, zombies eat brains.
NIGHT KING
You are right, I guess I won't then.
JON SNOW
We do need a swordfight. It's roughly the last episode of the season and people do want one.
NIGHT KING
Well alright then.
JON SNOW
En garde!
[JON SNOW and NIGHT KING have a swordfight. ARYA dictates the rhythm on a pair of kettledrums in the corner. JON SNOW's sword is made of dragonglass, so NIGHT KING is fucked if he gets hit]
JON SNOW
Ouch! Damn!
[JON SNOW collapses. NIGHT KING kneels besides him]
NIGHT KING
It was an honor to fight you, Jon Snow.
JON SNOW
Likewise, likewise.
NIGHT KING
Is there anyone you'd like to say hello to?
JON SNOW
I want to say I forgive you, Night King.
NIGHT KING
I appreciate that very much.
[NIGHT KING slays all those present with his zombiesword. A bit like the rid wedding, but without all the backstabbing. Hij stands in the middle of the room with his hands held up]
NIGHT KING
What have I done?
[NIGHT KING collapses, crying. Fade out. Closing credits]

Gomurr the Ancient

Post by Gomurr the Ancient » 07 Aug 2017, 12:21

http://www.slate.com/blogs/browbeat/201 ... ained.html

Sound analysis of the 5 classic military blunders resulting in the disastrous battle last night.
Take it from me -- One doesn't become Gomurr the Ancient by keeping one's eyes clenched shut. First and foremost, you have to be named Gomurr. Then you have to get really, really old.

AntiBody

Post by AntiBody » 01 Sep 2017, 17:34

So with school starting back up in my area of the states here, I've been wildly busy and haven't had much time to post here in the forum. That said, I'm surprised we haven't talked about this season much. I REALLY loved it!!

There are a lot of folks out there who don't like how quickly things have happened - seeming like people are teleporting all over the continent - but to that say: Who cares? That might have bothered me with any other story, but for this I am just so down to suspend any disbelief. We are, after all, talking about a show about dragons, ice zombies (and now ice zombie dragons), seers, faceless people, and blood magic. We're in the endgame now; so what if Daenerys and the Dothraki got to Highgarden so quickly? (RIP Olenna, that one really hurt, even though her burn to Jamie and Cersei was majestic.) I know there's something to be said about following the rules you've set up in your own story/timeline, but just let it go. Things have been bubbling up for so long and now we're simmering - let the show be great!

So yeah, I just loved this season. Some good shocks and plot developments - I am VERY excited to see where this all goes next season (whenever it comes)! Hopefully we generate some good discussion here, and I'll go into more specifics then, but I wanted to breathe some more life in this thread and hear what y'all thought.

Wings

Post by Wings » 03 Sep 2017, 22:00

AntiBody wrote:
01 Sep 2017, 17:34
So with school starting back up in my area of the states here, I've been wildly busy and haven't had much time to post here in the forum. That said, I'm surprised we haven't talked about this season much. I REALLY loved it!!

There are a lot of folks out there who don't like how quickly things have happened - seeming like people are teleporting all over the continent - but to that say: Who cares? That might have bothered me with any other story, but for this I am just so down to suspend any disbelief. We are, after all, talking about a show about dragons, ice zombies (and now ice zombie dragons), seers, faceless people, and blood magic. We're in the endgame now; so what if Daenerys and the Dothraki got to Highgarden so quickly? (RIP Olenna, that one really hurt, even though her burn to Jamie and Cersei was majestic.) I know there's something to be said about following the rules you've set up in your own story/timeline, but just let it go. Things have been bubbling up for so long and now we're simmering - let the show be great!

So yeah, I just loved this season. Some good shocks and plot developments - I am VERY excited to see where this all goes next season (whenever it comes)! Hopefully we generate some good discussion here, and I'll go into more specifics then, but I wanted to breathe some more life in this thread and hear what y'all thought.
I'll make a longer post soon with a breakdown of my thoughts on the whole season but I too really enjoyed it. It's a shame that the Dorne plotline is pretty much dead in the show, and I wouldn't have minded another episode to give some characters a bit more time to shine, but I feel the shorter episode count this season did help rachet up the tension as well as reflecting the faster pace after the slow boil that's led us to this point. I always took the characters "teleporting" as involving time skips that we just didn't see (with the exception being Dany's rescue of Jon, Jorah and co from the Night King). In previous seasons we would have spent time with people as they travelled, in this case, the pacing required minimising that.
Sign-ups for Betrayal Game 76: Murder in Manhattan now open! Help Jessica Jones solve the unexplained murder of a group of super-villains! Link to the thread here:
viewtopic.php?f=24&p=169031#p169031

Anna Raven

Post by Anna Raven » 03 Sep 2017, 22:35

I definitely understood the change in pacing, and the need to condense travel, but I do think the Jon/Dany rescue was a bit of a jump the shark moment. It took all the rules and consistencies and threw them out the window. I think I read somewhere that if you did the calculations - the raven/dragon flights would have taken 4-4.5 days, but we only saw one sunset/sunrise take place. And if 4 days go by I'm not sure our heroes could survive the cold.

It was still a fun episode, I liked the action and the banter between the various characters. But it wasn't typical GoT. It was more like Walking Dead. It was just a ton of deus ex, to get the ice dragon in place. I do think the show got back on track though the next episode.

I'm not mad, or saying it sucked. Just it felt like a different show.
Thunderbolts Draft: Punisher | Black Cat | Moon Knight (as Kraven the Hunter) | Diamondback | Taskmaster | Domino | Nuke | Trickshot | Jolt | Troll

medium13

Post by medium13 » 15 Apr 2019, 20:26

We're back after a LONG winter with Season 8. The first episode, "Winterfell" felt a lot like it was mostly set up for what's coming but for the most part I was okay with it. I didn't love how it felt as if many of the reunions were forced for time constraints and it seemed the writers were invested in creating dialogue that said a lot with out saying anything.

First, I loved the new opening sequence. It filled me with both dread and desire and it was a great way to really commit to the viewer that this is the homestretch. It was ominous and I can't wait to review it to see what I missed. Several articles pointed out how much had changed, incorporating elements of the series instead of the events pre-dating the series. The opening moments, with the full force of Daenerys reaching Winterfell was exciting and really brought out cyclical storytelling. One of my favorite moments was the stolen glance between Missandei and Grey Worm as they ride past the Northerners and I can't help but wonder if it's because how homogeneous the population is as compared to Essos or because of how down-trodden and poor the populace looks. Arya observes from the crowd instead of with the leaders in the North which struck me as odd, even though it's certainly related to her numerous reunions later in the episde. Despite her changes over the course of the show, she's reclaimed the identity of Arya of Winterfell and she should be with her remaining siblings.

Sansa takes the lead here as she should and she really steals a lot of the scenes she's in, although I don't know that I agree with the choices the writers have selected for her. She gives Daenerys a frosty but courteous greeting, which is quite enjoyable. She speaks up to raise the issue of the food and storage provisions she has been preparing are thrown completely off by the arrival of dragons with an unknown appetite. It also allows Daenerys to quip back at her in a veiled threat that her dragons eat "whatever they want." Sansa and Tyrion are reunited and it's odd but enjoyable. Tyrion seems to have been hurt that Sansa fled the capital when she did, but she'd certainly have died or worse otherwise. Sansa shows how much she's grown by chastising Tyrion for believing Cersei would march north for them. Sansa is fully realized as Lady of Winterfell and doesn't feel the need to hide behind her courtesy anymore, although she is cautious. She manages to criticize Jon publicly again and I hope they unite as they did last season. Jon unfairly criticizes Sansa, suggesting she's just interested in titles and power. But, in doing so, he ignores some truths; the majority of Westeros, even those who have seen the undead like Cersei don't understand the danger they are in from the Night King as evidenced by the Stark bannerman refusing to abandon their hold fast at the threat (bannerman I'd point out that Sansa urged Jon to dispose for their treachery) and there is at least a part of Jon that bent the knee because he loves Daenerys.

For his part, Jon gets to ride Rhaegar and learns the truth about his parentage this episode. The flight with the dragons is amazing, but to me it felt too soon. Daenerys didn't mount Drogon until she was in mortal danger so Jon almost casually taking a obviously dangerous solo ride, while cool, felt forced to me. When Samwell tells Jon the truth about his parents, Jon's reaction is quelled by Samwell's scene. He's so hurt and in pain that Daenerys has executed his family and he's testing to see if Jon knew. If Jon thinks Daenerys might be just as dangerous as her father. This string of scenes with Sam will certainly be, at least at this point, his defining scenes of the entire series.

Arya's reunions felt forced and rushed. She flirts with Gendry. She and the Hound still have unresolved issues, although the Hound is more past it than Arya. She still doesn't seem to acknowledge that she doesn't hate the Hound. I didn't feel that much excitement with Arya and Jon's reunion, and I felt more emotive when he kissed Bran on the forehead and started to realize he's not Bran, he's different because they are all different people but need to be together. Arya foreshadows that Jon may have to make a choice between family and Daenerys yet neither of them know yet that she is already family (and not just through the bloodline but because he's in love with her). She surprised him by championing Sansa and I scold Jon in my mind for not doing the same. He forgets how Sansa saved his life in the battle of the bastards. Bran waiting for his "old friend", Jamie is wonderful but I doesnt' leave me with much anxiety. Bran isn't going to blame him for his fall from the tower anymore or expose him further. He's past that now.

Over in Kings Landing, Theon rescues Yara effortlessly and Yara may foreshadow that the Iron Island could be a safe place (absent a dragon). How is Yara so up to date on this issue ? How is it that Euron hasn't tortured her beyond recognition? Euron manages to "seduce" Cersei in what is an enjoyable yet perplexing scene. Cersei is irritated at the lack of numbers and elephants for the Golden Company, and I suspect only sleeps with Euron to keep him in her service, perhaps out of boredom, or maybe even to cast doubt on the parentage of her unborn child should her plan to execute Tyrion and Jamie be successful. Lena Headey is marvelous in every second of film she occupies. I'm genuinely afraid when Qyburn says that she "has other plans for the dragon queen." I also have a moment of doubt when I think she might have the Mountain cut down Euron. He deserves a painful ending.

I'm perplexed by bringing in the Gold Company. Is Strickland going to be a big character this far in ?

tokenBG1009

Post by tokenBG1009 » 16 Apr 2019, 05:58

Did Cersei have any choice but to bring in the Gold Company? If she has any desire to fight the forces of the Noth or the Night King she is vastly outnumbered. The North was already formidable, but add in their alliance with Daenaerys and King's Landing wouldn't last a week against the combined numbers.

While the episode was fantastic, it feels like they worked to cram as much into this episode as they could.
"Sometimes I do feel like I'm a failure. Like there's no hope for me. But even so, I'm not gonna give up. Ever!" -Izuku Midoriya

medium13

Post by medium13 » 16 Apr 2019, 15:07

Well, I get why she brought them in from her POV, I'm curious why the writers did so. More in the sense of are these just hired swords or should we expect some character development for Strickland. I assume he won't go to waste, but I also can't imagine having time to develop a new character and motivations at this point. It felt like promotional materials and Strickland's scene were more than a quick cameo. I almost felt like he tried to develop romantic tension with Cersei and Euron was getting jealous.

Anna Raven

Post by Anna Raven » 16 Apr 2019, 20:37

medium13 wrote:
16 Apr 2019, 15:07
Well, I get why she brought them in from her POV, I'm curious why the writers did so. More in the sense of are these just hired swords or should we expect some character development for Strickland. I assume he won't go to waste, but I also can't imagine having time to develop a new character and motivations at this point. It felt like promotional materials and Strickland's scene were more than a quick cameo. I almost felt like he tried to develop romantic tension with Cersei and Euron was getting jealous.
Well the only other group that could have filled that role from a story perspective would have been the Second Sons, which are back in Mereern pledged to Dany to protect her Eastern kingdom. Now, would it have been cool to have spurned lover Daario show up suddenly fighting for Cersei against Dany? Probably, but it might have been a bit much even for GoT.

manuel_mc89

Post by manuel_mc89 » 17 Apr 2019, 17:26

I liked the issue, it may seemed like not much happened but i felt it more. Also, the war between the living and the dead its really only Jon's priority, i mean, he acts like Daenerys is his big ally and such, wich is true, but she hasnt stopped here sight in being the Queen, and se shows it when she talks about Sansa being loyal to her, yet, he only scolds Sansa about who sits in wich throne not being important.

Yeah, there is a bigger war, but really, Sansa is looking out for her family, and the northern people, Dany is building her empire, only Jon is "only" focused on the Night's King as his only priority. Sansa is being reasonable here, i love her.

Also, how many times have the Greyjoy's siblings, abandoned and rescued each other? Cause its like their theme.
Legion: I will circle around you until the stars die an the world has forgotten what makes us different, and I will shatter any future that dares to divide us.

Quick and Dead

Post by Quick and Dead » 17 Apr 2019, 18:06

The first episode was full on soap opera and I loved it. Some reunions worked better than others. I loved Sansa and Tyrion's conversation although like Sansa, I'm very surprised that Tyrion thinks for a second that Cersei is sending an army up north. He should know better by now.

I agree that a lot of Ayra's scenes fell flat. Her reunion with Jon didn't pack the emotional punch I expected it to and her reunion with the Hound needed to be more than just quips. Does anyone actually care about Gendry or want to see Arya and him together in any way? I sure don't.
Check out my comic reviews and articles! http://www.comicosity.com/author/anthonyblackwood/

tokenBG1009

Post by tokenBG1009 » 18 Apr 2019, 01:16

The more I look at this show the more I'm really expecting the Night King to win in the end. This is mostly due to the characters themselves being just so fragmented at this late of stage in the game. It also calls back to Robert's line of which is stronger 7 or 1. The living are still broken into multiple kingdoms. There's Daenerys, The North, King's Landing, Dorne (because they still exist, I think?), and I wouldn't trust the Golden Company to not retreat the moment things look impossible vs the Kingdom of the Dead.

This all started with invaders coming and turning the 7 into 1. Then they fragmented again and eventually will become one again.