Welcome to unstablemolecules.com, the discussion home for mightyavengers.net, uncanon.com and uncannyxmen.net!

Captain Marvel

Did you see the Dr. Strange Movie from the 70's? Me neither, but I'm sure someone did. Come here to talk about Movies and TV
P-90

Re: Captain Marvel

Post by P-90 » 08 Dec 2018, 18:49

EphemeristX wrote:
08 Dec 2018, 18:41
And current Captain Marvel has gone Binary a number of times in recent history, too. The power isn't gone. She just uses it sparingly because it's alot and it drains her for awhile. Chances are, that's how this will work too. As BC said, the MCU tends to underpower their stronger characters (because, frankly, having someone who can lift 100 tons fight anyone without essentially turning their opponents into a red paste is a big, big stretch). I bet everyday Carol won't be nearly as strong as the Carol we're seeing on the trailer.
Good point, it also doesn't help that the majority of time we see Thor fight he's fighting aliens that have the equivalent of mid-range superhuman physical powers, while he is shown being more powerful and a better fighter than most of his enemies he's never really been shown fighting against human level foes so we can accurately gauge just how powerful he is.
Last edited by P-90 on 09 Dec 2018, 01:15, edited 1 time in total.
'A shared universe, like any fictional construct, hinges on suspension of disbelief. When continuity is tossed away, it tatters the construct. Undermines it'

Northstar404

Post by Northstar404 » 09 Dec 2018, 00:40

https://comicbook.com/marvel/2018/12/08 ... tage-ccxp/

Description of New Captain Marvel footage form CCXP

Nu-D

Post by Nu-D » 09 Dec 2018, 17:23

Blackcyclops wrote:
08 Dec 2018, 14:46
Nu-D wrote:
08 Dec 2018, 14:21
Blackcyclops wrote:
08 Dec 2018, 14:04
Well A4, for it be a conclusion to a larger story HAS to focus on the original Avengers. You can quibble about them being the chosen original avengers (as I did above) but for it give closure to their story it has to be about Iron Man, Thor, Cap, the Hulk, Hawkeye and Black Widow...CM will undoubtedly play a role (as Strange and BP did in Infinity wars) but this is the end of their story/contracts. Only Black widow has solid plans for anything going forward. She’ll be the only one who has to survive the experience lol

So I think if your issue is going to be that, then you might want to honestly prepare yourself to be disappointed tbh.
I would say while that’s the starting premise, there’s some wiggle room. One of the big three could have been omitted. And a couple more later additions could have been included. I’m glad they kept Lang around, but why not also Wasp? Could have let Wanda survive. Maybe give Okoye or one of BP’s awesome supporting cast more of a role?

I’m sure in the third act just about everyone will be there. But they’re missing a chance to develop some of their better b-listers into genuine a-listers be leaving them out of the opening acts.
Spoiler: show
I mean we’re totally basing this all off a teaser (since like everybody is slated to be features in this film and Nebula was shown in the trailer), but I still think you gotta focus on their story (the OG avengers) to complete the circle.

But to be clear: We don’t know when or where Scott Lang pops up or when Carol will either or where Okoye is at or who else did or didn’t survive the decimation. In alot of ways we’re (myself included) overanalyzing what the movie is or isn’t doing off a teaser lol
Except these films are sufficiently formulaic that we do know more than you’re conceding.

(1) We know that Act 1 will principally be about establishing the status quo, and it will focus heavily on Steve, Tony, Nat and Fury. To the extent Nebula, Okoye or any other supporting character is present, they’re not going to get any development in act one to launch them into A-list status. The focus will be on the Steve & Tony show, identifying the problems, and reuniting the cast.

(2) We can be reasonably certain that Scott show up at the end of Act 1 or early in Act 2 to provide a “breakthrough” to the problem—i.e. the microverse or quantum realm or whatever. We know that Wasp won’t be with him.

(3) Act 3, of course, is the finale fight where they take back the Gauntlet and resurrect the rest of the heroes. That means none of the killed heroes are going to get much development or screen time. BP, Wanda, Spidey, Vision, Strange, etc. None of them are going to get any development in this film. At the end of this film the public is still going to think of the Avengers as the team from A1, and the others as hangers-on.

While I agree that the fallout from Civil War needs to be resolved in this film, I don’t see why Thor needs to be here. Thor’s arcs are not part of the Avengers franchise and he wasn’t even in Civil War. He should have been killed by Thanos in the last film, so that some lesser-developed characters could have had some room to breathe in this opening acts of this film. If there’s going to be an Avengers franchise after A4 without 2/3 of Downey, Hemsworth, and Evans, then we need the b-listers to step up and shine here to be established in the public mind as appealing characters who can be the face of the franchise.

The one wild card is Carol, as you mentioned. We don’t know when she’ll show, and that gives me some hope for some strong development. But if Carol is going to take Steve/Tony’s place as the face of the Avengers going forward, they’ve got a lot of work to do on her.

If it were me, I would have cut Thor, and maybe Hulk and Widow. I would have put some effort into developing Wasp, and maybe Shuri and/or BP himself. That way after this generation of Avengers ages out, you have Carol, Jan, Scott, and T’Challa ready to headline the next round of films (with Wanda and Vision, and maybe one or two others).

P-90

Post by P-90 » 09 Dec 2018, 20:51

I wonder if, given the supposed power of the Infinity Gauntlet we'll see the return of characters who died prior to the 'snap' (which has now officially be named 'The Decimation'). I personally wouldn't mind seeing the return or Quicksilver or the Warriors Three (who's death's in Raganorok I felt was a waste)

I'd also like to see Daredevil, Iron Fist, Colleen Wing and maybe the Punisher introduced in future MCU movies, to see them given the chance to have the top level effects, costume designers and fight choreographers (with sufficient time to learn the fights)
'A shared universe, like any fictional construct, hinges on suspension of disbelief. When continuity is tossed away, it tatters the construct. Undermines it'

Nu-D

Post by Nu-D » 10 Dec 2018, 17:56

P-90 wrote:
09 Dec 2018, 20:51
I wonder if, given the supposed power of the Infinity Gauntlet we'll see the return of characters who died prior to the 'snap' (which has now officially be named 'The Decimation'). I personally wouldn't mind seeing the return or Quicksilver or the Warriors Three (who's death's in Raganorok I felt was a waste)

I'd also like to see Daredevil, Iron Fist, Colleen Wing and maybe the Punisher introduced in future MCU movies, to see them given the chance to have the top level effects, costume designers and fight choreographers (with sufficient time to learn the fights)
Unless they’ve given up on the GotG franchise, we can be sure the gauntlet will be used to reasurrect Gamorra. So there’s one.

Spectral Knight

Post by Spectral Knight » 10 Dec 2018, 18:50

I'm so confused. A4 thread is talking about not-grunge, the CM thread is discussing A4, and I can't find the Nickleback thread to talk about CM.

Anna Raven

Post by Anna Raven » 10 Dec 2018, 19:40

Spectral Knight wrote:
10 Dec 2018, 18:50
I'm so confused. A4 thread is talking about not-grunge, the CM thread is discussing A4, and I can't find the Nickleback thread to talk about CM.
Don't forget the Deadpool thread where they are discussing.... and I've gone cross-eyed.
Thunderbolts Draft: Punisher|Black Cat|Moon Knight(as Kraven the Hunter)|Diamondback|Taskmaster|Domino|Nuke|Trickshot |Jolt|Troll
Avengers International Draft: France|Spectrum|Capt. Universe|Swordsman|Batroc|M|Finesse|Deadpool

Jazzkantine

Post by Jazzkantine » 10 Dec 2018, 19:50

Spectral Knight wrote:
10 Dec 2018, 18:50
That’s the sweet variety of life.
Uncanny X-Force: Mimic, Omega, Timeslip, Siphon, Red Lotus, Grid, Frenzy, Savitar - (Shaara), Graymalkin, Nil

Nu-D

Post by Nu-D » 12 Dec 2018, 13:51

So, back on to a topic that is at least thematically related to this thread...

Oscar nominated films with a female lead are more profitable than their male-lead counterparts.

And it applies outside the Oscars too.

Cross posting this to the A4 thread, where we’re discussing the related topic of minority casting in films.

Northstar404

Post by Northstar404 » 27 Dec 2018, 18:42

https://mcucosmic.com/2018/12/27/disney ... in-marvel/

Looks like Jude Law's playing Mar-vell after all.

Northstar404

Post by Northstar404 » 30 Dec 2018, 01:26

https://comicbook.com/marvel/2018/12/29 ... mpionship/

Also, Captain Marvel preview during the NCAA Championship on January 7th

Gibbering Fool

Post by Gibbering Fool » 30 Dec 2018, 02:19

Northstar404 wrote:
27 Dec 2018, 18:42

The factvtgat Funko says he's Yon-Rogg has be concerned there'll be a villain twist reveal part way through the film and Mar-vell is really Yon-Rogg :? . I've also read speculation Yon-Rogg could be the name of a Skrull in this film

Nu-D

Post by Nu-D » 30 Dec 2018, 11:38

Gibbering Fool wrote:
30 Dec 2018, 02:19
Northstar404 wrote:

The factvtgat Funko says he's Yon-Rogg has be concerned there'll be a villain twist reveal part way through the film and Mar-vell is really Yon-Rogg :? . I've also read speculation Yon-Rogg could be the name of a Skrull in this film
Maybe Yonn-Rogg the Skrull is posing as Mar-Vell the Kree.

Gibbering Fool

Post by Gibbering Fool » 30 Dec 2018, 13:54

Nu-D wrote:
30 Dec 2018, 11:38
Gibbering Fool wrote:
30 Dec 2018, 02:19
Northstar404 wrote:

Maybe Yonn-Rogg the Skrull is posing as Mar-Vell the Kree.
Could be, but I hope there's a real Mar-Vel in this film, who inspires Carol to take the moniker "Captain Marvel". I'm sure they could write another way for the name to come into play but it's not the same.

Northstar404

Post by Northstar404 » 03 Jan 2019, 05:53

I had a random thought about whether Mar-vell is in this movie are not, and that's maybe Jude Law's character (Yon-Rogg) might be kind of an amalgamation of both Mar-vell's and Yon-Rogg's Characters.

Northstar404

Post by Northstar404 » 08 Jan 2019, 03:41

Northstar404

Post by Northstar404 » 01 Feb 2019, 05:56

https://comicbook.com/marvel/2019/02/01 ... a-rambeau/

A new tv spot with some new footage and a look at young Monica Rambeau.

Also a new clip of the train scene

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lf2JIPI8pQU

Cable

Post by Cable » 09 Feb 2019, 10:07

Since the movie is set in the 90s Marvel made this webpage and it is awesome lol
Best X-Comic last week: Powers of X #2
Best non X-Comic last week: Invaders #8

Gibbering Fool

Post by Gibbering Fool » 09 Feb 2019, 11:14

Cable wrote:
09 Feb 2019, 10:07
Since the movie is set in the 90s Marvel made this webpage and it is awesome lol
That's glorious. I can practically hear the dialup screetch

EphemeristX

Post by EphemeristX » 10 Feb 2019, 00:11

Oh my god. If you manage to click on the old-lady skrull when she pops out, she gets punched in the face.
http://dancehall-daze.tumblr.com

"Take your baby by the ears
And play upon her darkest fears"

Northstar404

Post by Northstar404 » 11 Feb 2019, 03:54

Northstar404

Post by Northstar404 » 21 Feb 2019, 06:16

https://www.comingsoon.net/movies/news/ ... her-faster

The first reactions to Captain Marvel.

Milkshake08

Post by Milkshake08 » 22 Feb 2019, 03:50

I'm very happy that they all seem to note the VILLAIN is the breakout character (and Goose the cat). Marvel routinely gets criticized for its villains on film, minus Thanos and Loki. I feel that's a really good sign.

Nu-D

Post by Nu-D » 22 Feb 2019, 11:50

I’m pretty excited for this. I’ll probably even go to see it opening week, or maybe the second weekend. That’s quite a rush for me.

I’ve been seeing a lot of the anti-Captain Marvel commentary out there, most of it based on the fact that the lead is a woman. I’m beyond being surprised that it exists, but I am still entirely baffled as to why?

My best bet is that most of these people don’t actually care about a woman leading a film, they just like belonging to something that feels transgressive. They like being able to give a big f#$k you to polite society, and they like getting a rise out of people. Since there’s a clan formed around doing just that, they like being part of it.

But really, I just can’t fathom what these people get out of being like this.

Milkshake08

Post by Milkshake08 » 23 Feb 2019, 03:45

I mean, Nu, that's a really nice spin on it. There are a LOT of people (men, sorry) out there that genuinely hate women, or the idea of a woman having an equal standing as them. There's plenty of examples that have nothing to do with this film. Comicsgate. Gamergate. Sexism in sports. Piling on and extreme hatred of female politicians while giving their male counterparts a pass on the same or worse behavior, and less scrutiny. Vile and cruel commentary about women in the public realm. Not believing rape and assault victims (see: literally the horrible vitriol and death threats sent to Christine Blasey-Ford just last October). Hating on female creatives.

Are some of these guys just trolls? Sure. Are some of them guys who've been rejected a lot and can't figure out why? Probably. But in general its a pervasive and real problem that extends outside this film. It's the same with racism and white supremacy - this same vitriol was hurled at Black Panther, and is being dredged up with its Oscar nom. Wonder Woman was able to escape some of it (it still got a lot of the hate for being woman led, just expressed differently) because the lead actress was a typically sexy, exotic woman who was mostly unknown at the time, and she's an age-old iconic hero.

Larson is an unapologetic feminist who has frequently spoken her mind about male costars and producers who she believes are sexist, vocally supports female led and oriented charities and organizations, and uses her platform to criticize patriarchy and toxic masculinity, which is EXACTLY what these men love to rage tweet about. Seriously, look at the recent issue of the Comicsgate Lonestar issue. They HATE feminists, especially if they SAY they are feminist. I'm glad you can't fathom it, but it exists everywhere and is a reality for women in literally every aspect of our lives, especially in our careers.

Sorry for the long rant. And this really was just as an answer to the "why" you asked, Nu. I'm glad you (and pretty much most of the people on here) would never in a million years think in this way.