Welcome to unstablemolecules.com, the discussion home for mightyavengers.net, uncanon.com and uncannyxmen.net!

Doctor Who

Did you see the Dr. Strange Movie from the 70's? Me neither, but I'm sure someone did. Come here to talk about Movies and TV
Spectral Knight

Re: Doctor Who

Post by Spectral Knight » 08 Nov 2018, 16:08

Das, not withstanding that many of the earlier Doctors have used guns in the past, my point was why introduce Chekhov's Gun (a very appropriate name in this instance!), if the outcome is a stilted piece of dialogue. Better storytelling would be to avoid the use / presence of firearms (as like you said, we're generally a friendly bunch without the need for loads of guns to be around) in the story in the first-place.

It's the crap dialogue in this series about not liking guns that I have an issue with - not the Doctor not being a fan of firearms.
X-Editorial:
X-Nation: Psylocke, Siryn, Fantomex, Meggan, Toad, Motormouth, Micromax, Pete Wisdom
Uncanny X-Force: Psylocke, Siryn, Fantomex, Warpath, Maverick, Vindicator, Caliban, Omega Red, Pete Wisdom

EvilMonkeyPope

Post by EvilMonkeyPope » 12 Nov 2018, 08:36

This was the best episode of the season so far because Chibnall didn’t write it! Kudos to Vinay Patel!
The bat-headed aliens were cute.
The music during the WWII flashbacks was spooky.

Spectral Knight

Post by Spectral Knight » 12 Nov 2018, 11:14

Yeah, it was better than others. Point of note, so far the best villains this series have been the manifestations of hatred, and racist intolerance by humans in this and the Rosa Parks episode. Also, more tinkering with odd bits and bobs by the Doctor - which I like as a trait.

The alien threats this series either haven't really been threats after all, or just weak (despite impressive visuals on occasions). Are any of the classic villain aliens on the cards? Daleks? Cybermen? Sontarans? Zygons? Weeping Angels?
X-Editorial:
X-Nation: Psylocke, Siryn, Fantomex, Meggan, Toad, Motormouth, Micromax, Pete Wisdom
Uncanny X-Force: Psylocke, Siryn, Fantomex, Warpath, Maverick, Vindicator, Caliban, Omega Red, Pete Wisdom

Blackcyclops

Post by Blackcyclops » 12 Nov 2018, 13:51

Nope...creators specifically said not this season.
I'm Team Remender, Waid, Hickman and Gillen

My X-Men Draft Picks:
Prof. X, Legion, Polaris, Quicksilver, Meggan, Deadpool, Pixie, and Danger

Blackcyclops

Post by Blackcyclops » 12 Nov 2018, 13:51

Which to be honest, the one race who need a breather are Weeping angels. They went from the stuff of nightmares under Davis to kinda corny under Moffat.

My X-Men Draft Picks:

Spectral Knight

Post by Spectral Knight » 12 Nov 2018, 14:21

Blackcyclops wrote:
12 Nov 2018, 13:51
Nope...creators specifically said not this season.
Really? Do you have a source - I'd assume they state the why they're given them the miss, which I'd be interested in having a gander at.
Blackcyclops wrote:
12 Nov 2018, 13:51
Which to be honest, the one race who need a breather are Weeping angels. They went from the stuff of nightmares under Davis to kinda corny under Moffat.
Didn't Moffat create the Weeping Angels in the first place? I thought Blink was one of his. I don't think any of the Angel-centric stories were corny (Angels Take Manhattan was fantastic as a closer for Amy and Rory) - but the cameo appearances of them haven't been as good.
X-Editorial:

Blackcyclops

Post by Blackcyclops » 12 Nov 2018, 14:24

I saw a quote from him on CBR, it was a direct quote so I took it as a fact.

You’re right he was their creator.

The overall episode was great but they no longer, as a threat had that same bang. They’re kinda like the Brood of Doctor Who. Originally, terrifying...now it’s like “oh look, the Brood” lol

My X-Men Draft Picks:

Spectral Knight

Post by Spectral Knight » 12 Nov 2018, 14:34

Okay, I've just done a bit of hunting, and whilst the Daleks are ruled out, none of the other established enemy races have been ruled out (as far as I can tell).

Haha - nice comparison. I think it might be because Blink was such well-crafted single episode, it's hard to live up to their debut, but I still have that '"Holy...f..." moment when they appear, just because you know shit's going down when they are the main villains.
X-Editorial:

EvilMonkeyPope

Post by EvilMonkeyPope » 11 Jan 2019, 23:40

It turns out I didn't like this season. I kept putting it off because writing it was a bummer. A comprehensive essay of how Doctor Who squandered fantastic opportunities is no fun.
https://mattthecatania.wordpress.com/20 ... to-the-er/