Welcome to unstablemolecules.com, the discussion home for mightyavengers.net, uncanon.com and uncannyxmen.net!

X-men: The Gifted

Did you see the Dr. Strange Movie from the 70's? Me neither, but I'm sure someone did. Come here to talk about Movies and TV
EvilMonkeyPope

Re: X-men: The Gifted

Post by EvilMonkeyPope » 02 Nov 2018, 03:39

Yeah Andy's power is destructive telekinesis, so it's underwhelming her powers are just a more specific form of telekinesis.
Was breaking into the asylum what they needed Andy to practice knocking down walls with or is that something forthcoming?

InsipidLust

Post by InsipidLust » 02 Nov 2018, 15:23

I'd just like to see more rich, interesting, powerful people in the Inner Circle and not dummy children.
Unity Squad Draft: Monet St. Croix. Mr. Fantastic. Professor Xavier. Doctor Voodoo. Tempus.

EphemeristX

Post by EphemeristX » 02 Nov 2018, 17:41

Reeva doesn't want an Inner Circle. She wants underlings. That's what she's got.
http://dancehall-daze.tumblr.com

"Take your baby by the ears
And play upon her darkest fears"

sambadaemon

Post by sambadaemon » 02 Nov 2018, 20:41

EvilMonkeyPope wrote:
01 Nov 2018, 22:51
I concur. Fie on baseball!
Getting branded so you can live in the sewers & live off whatever the Morlocks steal is a terrible longterm plan.
Why can’t Blink just teleport the aslum escapees to the Mutant Underground station in Baltimore with Shatter?
While her powers are nifty, I’m disappointed the Inner Circle recruited a non-canon character.
It seems like they've altered Blink's powers to sort-of line of sight to make her not too powerful. She can't even do her javelin thing. And I'm guessing, judging by how afraid of her the people at the asylum were, that Twist can use her powers on living beings, too. And she seems like she might actually be unstable.

das_boot

Post by das_boot » 08 Nov 2018, 19:55

Okay. So this was probably the strongest episode so far.
Spoiler: show
So we start with the Cuckoos as teenagers being forced to pry information from another mutant’s mind. In the present day, they’re choosing outfits but Esme won’t wear something without sleeves due to having been burned on her arm by Marcos in an earlier episode.

Lauren has a dream where she sees Andy. She pricks her finger in the broken safe in the training room. When she wakes up, her finger is bleeding. So basically, there’s something going on there.

We then get a scene with John and Reed with Reed trying to learn how to use his powers intentionally. He fails, but his powers kick in when John yells at him.

Jason and the Purifiers (not to be confused with Jase and the Wheeled Warriors) have a scene where Jase basically tries to convince the Purifiers to stop acting like terrorists and start acting like vigilantes.

Polaris, inside-out girl and Andy have a training session and Reeva turns up afterwards with nothing much to say other than “our plan happens soon”. Lorna says she won’t be part of it without knowing more. The Cuckoos convince Reeva to let Lorna in on the plan. Esme approaches Lorna and Dawn and puts Dawn to sleep psychically but Lorna doesn’t notice this.

The Purifiers burn down a church that’s linked to the Mutant Underground so John, Clarice, Marcos, and Reed go to save them. Lauren and Caitlin go to see the psychiatrist who left the hospital from a couple of episodes ago.

Caitlin and Lauren have a conversation about powers growing which is clearly foreshadowing.

Esme takes Polaris for a coffee and tells her that they’re going to take out a bank (called Creed— nice cameo) that are historically linked to mutant slavery. Esme reveals that she and her sister are clones and were trained and tortured by scientists at Creed but then they managed to escape. Polaris says she’s in.

Caitlin and Lauren confront the doctor who immediately goes to call the police. She was suspicious because they mentioned Rebecca’s family. She plays a video that shows that Rebecca can turn people inside out too. It’s how she killed their family.

The Mutant Underground realise they’re being lured into a trap but it’s too late because whoops. Purifiers. Shatter had a conversation with Reed earlier about how he tried to kill himself when he first manifested his powers hence the wicked cool scar in his head. Anyway. The Purifiers throw gas grenades through the window and Blink is knocked out. Shatter runs out to hold them off since he’s immune to small hand guns.

Polaris and Esme return to the Inner Circle’s lair and Esme starts humming Lorna’s lullaby that only she knows and sings to Dawn only when they’re alone. She starts to choke Esme in the elevator and Esme admits to entering Dawn’s mind. Lorna tells Reeva to keep her monsters away from her and her daughter. Reeva reprimands the Cuckoos and all but Esme want to control her mind. Esme gets all passionate and Reeva warns her about the dangers of being passionate. Reeva also texts someone called Q.M. And I can’t for the life of me think who the hell that is.

The Mutant Underground find out that they’re trapped while Shatter kills someone by turning him into crystal. He gets shot with an assault machine gun and dies, with pebbles coming out of his chest instead of blood, which? I actually thought was a nice touch.

Anyway, Reeds powers kick in and he escapes with the other mutants YAY TEAM.

Esme approaches Lorna and basically tells her that Creed killed her other two sisters and that she’ll protect her and Dawn so... I think they’re good? They were both crying, anyway.

Lauren and Caitlin get back to the hideout and Lauren grows a spine and says that she’ll be the one to take on Andy. Reed’s powers are going crazy and he can’t switch them off.
Like I said, I think this was actually a good episode. And this is what pisses me off about this show. WHY has it taken us this long to get a thoroughly solid episode? The rest of them this season have been so hit and miss it’s unreal, and it was the same in the last season too. It wasn’t until the mid point that every episode got good, rather than just “oh. Okay.”. Ugh.
Marvel Fantasy League Team: Laura Kinney, James Howlett, Domino, Luke Cage, Magik, Black Bolt, Sentry, Dazzler, Nick Fury, Dazzler, Hawkeye (not the Hawkguy)

Anna Raven

Post by Anna Raven » 08 Nov 2018, 21:12

Yes, and it doesn't help that they just refuse to even name drop Emma Frost.
Editorial Draft Results: Rogue | Magneto | Mystique | Sabretooth | Madelyn Prior | Lady Deathstrike | Blink | Peggy Carter | Vanisher | Dead Girl | Jimmy Hudson | Wither | Guardian

EvilMonkeyPope

Post by EvilMonkeyPope » 08 Nov 2018, 21:51

I loved the Lorna & Esme scenes!

das_boot

Post by das_boot » 14 Nov 2018, 12:32

Synopsis with a hint of shade because it’s me. Hello :)
Spoiler: show
We start with the flashbacks of Reeva witnessing Benazir being murdered. Benazir literally stands there causing lesions to appear on one guy’s face whilst another approaches her with a knife and she does nothing. DARWIN AWARD WINNER!

Flash to the present day and the inner circle discuss that their plans are ready to go. Reeva asks Sage to make sure her date is set up.

Reed’s powers are still freaking out. Lauren can stop his powers with hers. They decide they have to get him out of the apartment block and the rest of the Underground discuss where to take him, with Clarice suggesting the Morlocks. This is knocked back and they decide to take him to the clinic instead and say that they’ll have to reinforce an ambulance to get him there, despite having a perfectly serviceable teleporting mutant there. Oh well.

Reeva dates a dreamy man who plays the “MY KIDS SEE THAT I’M HAPPY AGAIN” card. She implies sex but the Cuckoos ambush him and he ends up in their headquarters. Reeva promises that if he knocks out the mutant detection devices, that she’ll make sure he gets home to look after his kids. Reeva explains the plan is that she and the Cuckoos will subdue everyone, Lorna will handle security, Rebecca will open the vault, and Andy will protect her. Rebecca asks Andy if he’ll kill everyone if she can’t do it and they take the piss out of her for it. He agrees.

Jase is contacted by whatshisname the Purifier who says he’s going to be tested. He’s taken to a barber shop.

The underground are reinforcing the ambulance, still forgetting that they have a teleporting mutant. Marcos confronts Clarice telling her that he knows somethings up with the Morlocks and she tells him that she doesn’t see why she’s having her loyalty questioned when he’s the one an evil baby-mama and used to work for a drug cartel. She DOES have a point.

Lorna decides that she won’t do the mission unless Now Esme stays to watch over Dawn. Reeva agrees, but the beautiful man tries to guilt trip Reeva and it looks like she actually did have feelings for him. Anyway, Esme and Sage stay behind, whilst the rest of the inner circle head to the bank.

The guy at the barber shop tells Jase that he wants him to go on his TV show and criticise Sentinel Services. He refuses.

The inner circle arrive at the bank. The bank man turns off the mutant detection thingy, and the Cuckoos disable the armed guards at the front. Polaris takes out the computers and stops bullets, Reeva makes her funny noise at people, and they round up the bank people into a room. The Cuckoos telepathically manipulate the bank manager into making a speech about how awful the bank is towards Mutants whilst Lorna, Andy and Rebecca head to the vault (which is meant to be made of adamantium).

The underground get to the clinic and Marcos tells John that he should talk to Blink about her loyalties. He tells Marcos that Blink’s no traitor because she’s been with them since the beginning (no she hasn’t).

Jase talks to purifier man and decides that he WILL age interviewed after all.

Lorna manages to get them all to the vault and Rebecca manages to twist the vault open after Andy tells her to channel her rage. Reeva brings the bank man down to the vault and he tries to guilt trip her again. They use him to access the bank’s systems and they transfer hundreds of millions of dollars to the inner circle’s funds.

Lauren and Caitlin discuss the researcher who worked with Reed’s dad and they decide to go and see her. Reed decides he wants to come with them when they show that he can still hold Caitlin’s hands occasionally.

John confronts Blink. She admits to working with the Morlocks and feeding them information but claims to do it in the name of helping the underground because she feels like John’s losing control of life. Girl kind of has a point, yo.

At Ryan Benedict’s studio, they’re about to go on air when they get told about stuff happening at the bank.

The inner circle are saying their goodbyes to the bank people, and the Cuckoos make them sit down and shut up. The manager calls them some rude names and this annoys Rebecca (who has been questioning everything about the mission the whole time, I missed that out)... Lorna locks them into a room and she tells everyone she’s not happy. Everyone’s distracted because the Cuckoos are saying that the police are two minutes away, so they don’t notice that Rebecca’s doing her twisty thing on the room and the people within until they splat like the dog in the microwave in Urban Legend. The rest of the inner circle are horrified as they leave
Okay so here’s my issue here. We’re on episode 7. This should have happened in episode 4 and this season would have felt a lot more well-paced. As it is? This feels really slow. I’m not convinced that we’ve really needed half of what’s happened this season in the build to the bank heist and yet... here we are now. It’s the same as last season, we got half a season of YAWN and then suddenly a second half of a season that was cliffhangers, or episodes with some serious repercussions to deal with in the next. Lauren remains adept at reminding people that she killed people last season and acting entirely with her chest, Caitlin continues to excel at having large eyes and looking intense, and Reed... ugh. He didn’t do much this episode and he’s been better in this episode than he has all season. I feel like they’re half-arsing this whole “John clearly has PTSD” issue, and Marcos is just... there. I don’t even think HE mentioned Lorna or Dawn this episode. Blink remains the voice of reason amongst the Underground.

I’m just putting it out there— Reeva should be an excellent character but the writing for her is all over the place. Like, the actor is fantastic and doing the best with what she’s given, but come the fuck on. Skyler Samuels , Jamie Cheung and Emma DuMont remain the Stand our performances in this series, but the girl playing Rebecca is terrible and needs to leave, immediately.

Ugh. If this gets a third season, I’ll be surprised.
Marvel Fantasy League Team: Laura Kinney, James Howlett, Domino, Luke Cage, Magik, Black Bolt, Sentry, Dazzler, Nick Fury, Dazzler, Hawkeye (not the Hawkguy)

EvilMonkeyPope

Post by EvilMonkeyPope » 14 Nov 2018, 21:50

This would've worked better if we spent more time with Reeva so her inconsistent stance on whether or not to kill looks nuanced instead of slipshod.
The heist was fun. The adamantium safe even provided a reason for recruiting Twist. After all that training, we never see Andy destroy a wall!
Reed is better when he suffers.

InsipidLust

Post by InsipidLust » 15 Nov 2018, 18:17

Reeva's "inconsistency" about killing didn't really seem that inconsistent to me. She just didn't want the guy she liked to get murdered which, regardless of the fact that she's pretty ruthless in general, is probably true of most people.

Serviceable episode but god how I care so little for the Underground right now... and of that "twist" with Rebecca really was quite obvious. What's less obvious is why they wouldn't immediately betray the girl now that she's a liability.
Unity Squad Draft: Monet St. Croix. Mr. Fantastic. Professor Xavier. Doctor Voodoo. Tempus.

EvilMonkeyPope

Post by EvilMonkeyPope » 15 Nov 2018, 22:56

Wanting to save her boyfriend is totally understandable, but it's her unwillingness to kill the other bankers that's off. She already killed her Inner Circle compatriots & was mad when the Cuckoos bribed that one guy instead of offing him. I actually like her as a villainess that doesn't feel the need to murder everyone, but it doesn't quite line up.

Anna Raven

Post by Anna Raven » 15 Nov 2018, 22:59

The only standout moments for me this episode was with Esme and the baby. The "Mommy doesn't want me in your head anymore!" line cracked me up.
Editorial Draft Results: Rogue | Magneto | Mystique | Sabretooth | Madelyn Prior | Lady Deathstrike | Blink | Peggy Carter | Vanisher | Dead Girl | Jimmy Hudson | Wither | Guardian

das_boot

Post by das_boot » 16 Nov 2018, 00:07

Anna Raven wrote:
15 Nov 2018, 22:59
The only standout moments for me this episode was with Esme and the baby. The "Mommy doesn't want me in your head anymore!" line cracked me up.
I enjoyed this line too. At the moment I really feel like Skyler Samuels is holding up this cast

EvilMonkeyPope

Post by EvilMonkeyPope » 16 Nov 2018, 06:13

Do you think Creed Bank will lead to us meeting Graydon Creed?

das_boot

Post by das_boot » Yesterday, 00:55

EvilMonkeyPope wrote:
16 Nov 2018, 06:13
Do you think Creed Bank will lead to us meeting Graydon Creed?
Yes. I think he’s Reeva’s end goal and I think it’s going to be him bankrolling the Purifiers. I just hope he isn’t unceremoniously killed off like Ahab was last season