Welcome to unstablemolecules.com!

X-men: The Gifted

Did you see the Dr. Strange Movie from the 70's? Me neither, but I'm sure someone did. Come here to talk about Movies and TV
EvilMonkeyPope

Re: X-men: The Gifted

Post by EvilMonkeyPope » 10 Oct 2017, 23:45

I hope we get a lot of MLF.

Blackcyclops

Post by Blackcyclops » 11 Oct 2017, 00:34

EvilMonkeyPope wrote:
10 Oct 2017, 23:45
I hope we get a lot of MLF.
Just give me Reaper, Tempo, Wildside, Strobe and maybe Kamikaze...
I'm Team Remender, Waid, Hickman and Gillen

My X-Men Draft Picks:
Prof. X, Legion, Polaris, Quicksilver, Meggan, Deadpool, Pixie, and Danger

Magik84

Post by Magik84 » 11 Oct 2017, 06:01

WorldWideWade wrote:
10 Oct 2017, 13:02
_Rick_ wrote:
10 Oct 2017, 04:00
As for the "Argentine twins" I might have missed something but where did you get their nationality and that they were twins? Ahab only said "siblings". The text on the screen did say brother and sister but I couldn't make out anything else.
I paused on the screen with the newspaper article and was able to make out the words twins, blonde, and blue eyes. The rest of the text was either illegible or non-identifying. I also think it probably refers to the real Fenris.
I think it said it was in the 60s, so if it's Fenris maybe a great aunt or uncle or maybe even the grandmother might be Andrea Strucker.
Avengers Draft: Ms Marvel, Kate Bishop, Chase Stein, Arsenic and Old Lace, Lightspeed, Butterball, Komodo, Reptil, Mettle
Uncanny Avengers Draft: Quicksilver, Iceman, Rachel Grey, Silk, Pete Wisdom, Finesse, Nocturne, Stature, Tigra, Kid Gladiator

sambadaemon

Post by sambadaemon » 11 Oct 2017, 13:38

Is the red woman in the background of the Underground a new character? I can't shake the feeling that I should know her. Any thoughts on what the "July 15th incident" might be? And BC, I thought I was the only one that really liked Strobe in what seemed like 3 appearances.

Anna Raven

Post by Anna Raven » 11 Oct 2017, 14:54

The red haired woman? Or is there an actual red woman?
X-Men 1872: Rogue|Deadpool|Old Man Logan|Moonstar|San Francisco(HQ)|Thunderbird I|Cecilia Reyes|Stacy X|Lady Deathstrike|Mariko Yashida|Scorpion Boy

sambadaemon

Post by sambadaemon » 11 Oct 2017, 16:24

Anna Raven wrote:
11 Oct 2017, 14:54

There was a woman with red skin and white "hair" in the evacuation scene, when Dreamer and Thunderbird were arguing. She was probably just filler, but she stuck with me.

Anna Raven

Post by Anna Raven » 11 Oct 2017, 17:49

I missed her I’ll need to go back and look
X-Men 1872: Rogue|Deadpool|Old Man Logan|Moonstar|San Francisco(HQ)|Thunderbird I|Cecilia Reyes|Stacy X|Lady Deathstrike|Mariko Yashida|Scorpion Boy

_Rick_

Post by _Rick_ » 11 Oct 2017, 17:58

WorldWideWade wrote:
10 Oct 2017, 13:02
_Rick_ wrote:
10 Oct 2017, 04:00
As for the "Argentine twins" I might have missed something but where did you get their nationality and that they were twins? Ahab only said "siblings". The text on the screen did say brother and sister but I couldn't make out anything else.
I paused on the screen with the newspaper article and was able to make out the words twins, blonde, and blue eyes. The rest of the text was either illegible or non-identifying. I also think it probably refers to the real Fenris.
Thanks. I love the fact they actually bothered to write an actual news piece which is why I wondered if EMP had gotten their nationality from there. The description does seem to support the Fenris twins theory. That's a nice way to link everything together.
sambadaemon wrote:
11 Oct 2017, 16:24
Anna Raven wrote:
11 Oct 2017, 14:54

There was a woman with red skin and white "hair" in the evacuation scene, when Dreamer and Thunderbird were arguing. She was probably just filler, but she stuck with me.
I think I know who you're talking about but I only noticed her during Blink's apology to Thunderbird in the end. I don't know if she's supposed to be someone we know but she did have cool visuals.

It's really telling that random background mutant #4 has a more interesting look than most characters on Inhumans.

EphemeristX

Post by EphemeristX » 11 Oct 2017, 19:22

Told y'all Lorna was just dying her hair.

I love how into the show we are that we're trying to figure out all of the background mutants IDs. I noticed in the credits, the Eye Boy analogue was called Side-Eye. Got a chuckle from me.
http://dancehall-daze.tumblr.com

"Take your baby by the ears
And play upon her darkest fears"

sambadaemon

Post by sambadaemon » 11 Oct 2017, 21:05

I don't have much (or any) experience with hair dye, but it seems that making it water soluble would be a bad move. And I think I've figured out who she reminded me of. She looks like Transonic, just a different color.

_Rick_

Post by _Rick_ » 11 Oct 2017, 21:49

So to recap, the mutants we have seen so far...

Lauren Strucker - pushes stuff together, creates forcefields
Andy Strucker - pulls stuff apart, desintegrates objects (a bit unclear)

Mutant Underground :
Lorna Dane/Polaris - Magnetic manipulation
John Proudstar/Thunderbird - Physical invulnerability, superhuman strength, tracking skills, superhuman hearing
Clarice Fong/Blink - teleportation portals
Marco Diaz/Eclipse - photonic energy beams

Sage - Computer-like brain (presumably)
Shatter - Crystalline skin
Dreamer - Memory manipulation (presumably)
Pedro - Fear indution," dark elf" morphology
Side-eye - has... a side-eye

Jail:
Porcelain mutant
Orange skin mutant

Others:
Girl at bowling alley - vibrations/shockwave (unclear)
Bartender/Fade - invisibility (presumably)

Plus all the background people at their headquarters. There's a couple of names in the credits that might be them but none of them ring a bell.

EphemeristX

Post by EphemeristX » 11 Oct 2017, 22:18

sambadaemon wrote:
11 Oct 2017, 21:05
I don't have much (or any) experience with hair dye, but it seems that making it water soluble would be a bad move. And I think I've figured out who she reminded me of. She looks like Transonic, just a different color.
As a hair dyer, I can attest that hot water will wash out your hair dye. You have to wash your hair in cool or cold water to keep your color.

At first, I thought maybe Lauren was an aerokinetic like Wind Dancer and Andy was a telekinetic. Now I'm thinking they might just both be telekinetic but Lauren uses it in a protective way because that's how it first manifested, while Andy uses it destructively because he was so angry when his did. In time, they may develop similarly. Or, it may turn out, when they work together, they each have more control over their abilities, similar to the Fenris Twins.

Oh, and he's not a mutant, but he is an adapted character. Rory Campbell/Ahab.

Anna Raven

Post by Anna Raven » 11 Oct 2017, 23:15

I liked whoever had the theory up above that the girl contracts molecules and the boy expands them. That makes a lot of sense.

_Rick_

Post by _Rick_ » 11 Oct 2017, 23:22

EphemeristX wrote:
11 Oct 2017, 22:18
At first, I thought maybe Lauren was an aerokinetic like Wind Dancer and Andy was a telekinetic. Now I'm thinking they might just both be telekinetic but Lauren uses it in a protective way because that's how it first manifested, while Andy uses it destructively because he was so angry when his did. In time, they may develop similarly. Or, it may turn out, when they work together, they each have more control over their abilities, similar to the Fenris Twins.
At first I thought Lauren just controlled air but I went to check out the scene where she explains her powers and her quote is:
You know when you put your hand out of the window of a moving car? You can feel the air and like... guide it. I can push the air together. With water too... other stuff... it's just harder.
So she isn't limited to air, she just has an easier time with it.
As for Andy:
I was looking at those guys and I just... wanted to push everything away.
During interviews they did mention there was a plan to explore how different personalities can affect powers. I think that's what we are getting from the siblings. Lauren is social, put together and protective so her powers manifest in pushing stuff together in a controlled way to make forcefields. Andy isolates himself, feels like a screw up and has a lot of inner anger at how he's been treated and that results in him pushing stuff away in an incontrollable fashion and ripping stuff apart.

The way they position their hands when using their powers also supports this theory. Lauren seems like she's closing something while Andy looks like he's forcing it to open.

medium13

Post by medium13 » 12 Oct 2017, 01:03

Boy, I must not be following this well. That guy is Ahab? I was not paying as close attention as maybe I should.

I liked this episode. I’m into a green haired Polaris although the powder on her face was a but much. I liked the mutant who projects fear. I’m not really invested in these characters yet. Obviously there is potential and I am sort of into a few of the characters but does it feeel like too many regular characters POV ie Struckers are all new and vanilla?

MLF needs to appear!

LockheedAndLoaded

Post by LockheedAndLoaded » 12 Oct 2017, 02:15

Wait, was the medication they needed (to save Blink) Hypercortisone D... as in "Kick", the power-enhancing, riot-inducing drug?
I am Lockheed, dragon from space and slayer of untold Brood (may they burn in the fires of the Black Sun for all eternity).

sambadaemon

Post by sambadaemon » 12 Oct 2017, 14:00

LockheedAndLoaded wrote:
12 Oct 2017, 02:15
Wait, was the medication they needed (to save Blink) Hypercortisone D... as in "Kick", the power-enhancing, riot-inducing drug?
I thought she called it "hydrocortisone" D, but I might have just changed it in my head to a real word. Is that what Kick is?

Anna Raven

Post by Anna Raven » 12 Oct 2017, 14:21

Sometimes illegal drugs can be used for health care reasons - like opioids.

LockheedAndLoaded

Post by LockheedAndLoaded » 12 Oct 2017, 14:58

I want to believe that this is subtle setup for the Omega Gang, but I feel like the creators just looked to the comics for a "mutant power related drug" and chose Hypercortisone D. Still, it's a fun Easter egg. Regardless, I doubt that this stuff is secretly sentient bacteria...

http://marvel.wikia.com/wiki/Hypercortisone_D.
Attachments
Kick Hypercortisone D The Gifted.png
Kick Hypercortisone D The Gifted.png (320.68 KiB) Viewed 158 times
I am Lockheed, dragon from space and slayer of untold Brood (may they burn in the fires of the Black Sun for all eternity).

EvilMonkeyPope

Post by EvilMonkeyPope » 17 Oct 2017, 03:39

I can't believe The Gifted did an episode called "eXodus" without Exodus!

Gremlin

Post by Gremlin » 17 Oct 2017, 04:00

The X-Men had an entire crossover about 7 years ago called that without featuring him.
Everybody is entitled you their opinion...but yours is wrong.

Cable

Post by Cable » 17 Oct 2017, 10:52

Just caught up on this. Legion is a much better television show, but in a way this is a better X-Men show in how it brings up the issues of discrimination, persecution, and fear and hatred of mutants. Those tend to be its strongest moments.
Rank your favorite characters in the X-Men Character Sorter! Share your results!

"If life were a picnic, you'd be a family. Since life is war, you're soldiers. You'd do well to start accepting that fact."--Nathan Summers

EphemeristX

Post by EphemeristX » 18 Oct 2017, 11:26

Legion benefitted from having fantastic cinematography but, let's face it, the show meandered for a large chunk of its short season. It is a show about the mind, so I guess it's to be expected, but not a ton happened in every episode.

The Gifted isn't nearly as visually interesting, but it's got more action, has some good soapy moments, and the plot moves along at a decent clip. So yeah, I'm pretty happy with it. I have to say I was nervous about it.

Anna Raven

Post by Anna Raven » 18 Oct 2017, 14:37

Yeh, I'm still on board, which is surprising to me, I was fairly skeptical going in that I would be turned off by fake-Sunspot, fake-Struckers, production values, etc. But none of it's been that bad. I'm still watching even though they suddenly shifted the entire thing from Dallas to Atlanta (notice they went from Garland Detention Center to Fulton County Jail). Thanks Texas Legislature. Thanks.