Welcome to unstablemolecules.com, the discussion home for mightyavengers.net, uncanon.com and uncannyxmen.net!

Sell Me On Neil Gaiman

Head over to the bookshelf and take your pick. We want to hear your thoughts on any past, present or future novels.
AntiBody

Sell Me On Neil Gaiman

Post by AntiBody » 22 May 2017, 20:30

So I don't really need to be sold on Gaiman per se - dude's a legend. But believe it or not, I haven't read many of his stuff. Only American Gods, Stardust, 1602, and his Miracleman. For some reason lately he's been calling to me, but I don't really know where to start. Anything y'all recommend in particular? Also, why do you like him? What is it about his stuff that turns you on as a reader?
Guardians Of The Galaxy Draft: Nova (Richard Rider), Quasar (Wendell Vaughn), Moondragon, Darkhawk, Plutonia, Hiroim, Ikon, Malik Tarcel, Manta
Nemeses: The Fraternity of Raptors

manuel_mc89

Re: Sell Me On Neil Gaiman

Post by manuel_mc89 » 22 May 2017, 21:40

If you havent read Sandman, you should really get to that. Its epic and amazing and it deserves the praise its gotten over the years.
Legion: I will circle around you until the stars die an the world has forgotten what makes us different, and I will shatter any future that dares to divide us.

Crawler

Post by Crawler » 23 May 2017, 01:29

I loved Neverwhere, personally. I've picked up some of his other stuff but haven't actually read it yet.

Anna Raven

Post by Anna Raven » 23 May 2017, 04:15

Eternals was really good, and it's a good one to start with since it's still familiar Marvel territory. But Sandman is one of the very best comic series ever, and you should dive in as soon as you are ready.
Editorial Draft Results: Rogue | Magneto | Mystique | Sabretooth | Madelyn Prior | Lady Deathstrike | Blink | Peggy Carter | Vanisher | Dead Girl | Jimmy Hudson | Wither | Guardian

Rincewind

Post by Rincewind » 23 May 2017, 14:30

Personally, I LOVED Good Omens. Mainly 'cause he teamed up with Sir Terry on it.
Many people who had got to know Rincewind had come to treat him as a sort of two-legged miner's canary, and tended to assume that if Rincewind was still upright and not actually running then some hope remained.

Crutey Anth

Post by Crutey Anth » 29 May 2017, 09:12

I am a huge Gaiman fan!

I literally have just finished my yearly re-read of Sandman. If you've never read that pick it up.

Novel wise:
I loved Neverwhere! If you've already read American Gods the follow ups 'Anansi boys' might be ideal? or the short stories about Shadow 'Monarch of the glen' (from Fragile things) and 'Black Dog' (from Trigger warning)

I also really love his children's book 'the graveyard book'....his short story collections always have a few gems in there

Spectral Knight

Post by Spectral Knight » 02 Jun 2017, 08:42

As someone who's lived his entire life in London, I'm a massive fan of Neverwhere. It's very much a predecessor to Ben Aaronovitch's Rivers of London series if you like that sort of thing, in some ways with the personification of places etc. Bit darker though.
1602's a fun little alternative Marvel universe set in the colonial years. Probably a bit over-rated but a nice diversion.
And Sandman is incredible. As mentioned a couple of times on this forum, I'm following this a volume at a time, so unlike Crutey, I've not made it all the way through yet at all, let alone yearly, but it's bloody brilliant.

Some of Gaiman's novels for younger readers are also quite fun; also a fan of the Graveyard Book, and the Interworld series are fun reads (though not sure how much Gaiman was responsible for the actual text compared to idea generation - it's a bit of a collaborative effort!).
X-Editorial:
X-Nation: Psylocke, Siryn, Fantomex, Meggan, Toad, Motormouth, Micromax, Pete Wisdom
Uncanny X-Force: Psylocke, Siryn, Fantomex, Warpath, Maverick, Vindicator, Caliban, Omega Red, Pete Wisdom

Crutey Anth

Post by Crutey Anth » 02 Jun 2017, 19:18

Where you up to Spectral?

Spectral Knight

Post by Spectral Knight » 03 Jun 2017, 06:46

My last completed volume was 5, A Game of You, so still a fair way to go for me!
X-Editorial:
X-Nation: Psylocke, Siryn, Fantomex, Meggan, Toad, Motormouth, Micromax, Pete Wisdom
Uncanny X-Force: Psylocke, Siryn, Fantomex, Warpath, Maverick, Vindicator, Caliban, Omega Red, Pete Wisdom

Crutey Anth

Post by Crutey Anth » 03 Jun 2017, 17:01

Half way! It's in V6-10 you start to realise what a piece of structural architecture the whole series is and how everything is tying together. I'll stop talking now through fear of spoiling?

You moving onto the spin-offs after? Death V1 &2, The Dream hunters, Endless Nights and Overture? (there are others too)

RingOtaku

Post by RingOtaku » 03 Jun 2017, 17:20

I got everything Crutey listed. There is also a Destiny-based mini, a series with The Dead Boy Detectives, the Lucifer series. Also Gaiman did the original Books of Magic mini-series, which post-Gaiman led to it's own on-going and a few minis.
D20 Roulette: A Podcast of Geeks and Raging. https://rouletteproductions.com

Spectral Knight

Post by Spectral Knight » 03 Jun 2017, 21:44

So longer to go than I thought then! Enjoyed Death's appearances so far, so will probably look at those after the main series, but will probably have to put the further canon on the nice to have list.

Never enough time in the day / week / month is there?! :-)
X-Editorial:

manuel_mc89

Post by manuel_mc89 » 05 Jun 2017, 13:55

There are one or both minis with Death, i believe, one is Death: The high cost of living, and the other is Death: The time of your life, both with amazing art by Bachalo.
Legion: I will circle around you until the stars die an the world has forgotten what makes us different, and I will shatter any future that dares to divide us.

RingOtaku

Post by RingOtaku » 05 Jun 2017, 16:30

Yep. High Cost of Living especially is as good as any story in the main Sandman series.
D20 Roulette: A Podcast of Geeks and Raging. https://rouletteproductions.com

Crutey Anth

Post by Crutey Anth » 05 Jun 2017, 19:35

I re-read overture yesterday and wow it has grown on my, wasn't so bothered the first time but really enjoyed it this time. Loved all the tie backs to the original and how it adds depth

Cable

Post by Cable » 11 Jun 2017, 20:55

If you want to go all in on Sandman then Amazon, as of this writing, has the Sandman Omnibus 1 and 2 for half-price. Still expensive but if you don't want to read it digital it is the cheapest and/or most convenient option overall I would think (comes out to $2 per issue)
Rank your favorite characters in the X-Men Character Sorter! Share your results!

"If life were a picnic, you'd be a family. Since life is war, you're soldiers. You'd do well to start accepting that fact."--Nathan Summers

AntiBody

Post by AntiBody » 17 Jun 2017, 22:20

Read Eternals and really liked it! Can't wait to move onto other pieces! Thanks so much for the suggestions, keep them coming!
Guardians Of The Galaxy Draft: Nova (Richard Rider), Quasar (Wendell Vaughn), Moondragon, Darkhawk, Plutonia, Hiroim, Ikon, Malik Tarcel, Manta
Nemeses: The Fraternity of Raptors