Welcome to unstablemolecules.com, the discussion home for mightyavengers.net, uncanon.com and uncannyxmen.net!

Anansi Boys by Neil Gaiman

Head over to the bookshelf and take your pick. We want to hear your thoughts on any past, present or future novels.
medium13

Post by medium13 » 05 Nov 2010, 12:44

This was, like, really good.

I picked it up at the airport two weekends ago only because I happened to notice it next to Stardust. Having already watched the movie, I decided I'd prefer to read something else and figured the same author would provide something entertaining.

I was really blown away. First, I had no idea who Neil Gaiman was and now I feel like a bad comic book fan. It's no wonder I liked this so much. Second, Gaiman has an amazing ability to tell a story. His tones are so unique in that he can keep a story modern, full of humor, and dangerous at the same time. I also liked how the narrative shifted depending on the storytelling. Another unique theme that Gaiman played with quite well was the web of characters and plots that ran through the course of the novel, which all came together at the end. He avoided cheap shocks and forecasted the plot, but it was really well done.
He also had stellar control over what he was saying and the pictures he presented. He gave enough information to engage and stimulate the reader, but not so much to spoil the story.

Lastly, my favorite aspect of this book is that I felt quite inspired after reading it. Usually a great book leaves me thinking, "Wow, what a great book."  But, I feel as if this gave me some type of life lesson I have been missing recently.

I'd certainly encourage everyone to read it.medium132010-11-05 12:45:00

das_boot

Post by das_boot » 05 Nov 2010, 21:14

I really enjoyed it, but I'm biased as a Neil Gaiman fan (I'd recommend American Gods, even though Six will totally shoot me down for touting Gaiman, but don't listen to him, he's clearly a mental. Anyway, my point being that Anansi turns up in American Gods too). It's not my favourite of his novels, but it's certainly a good read, and I think he does really well to combine elements of African totemic belief systems into a modern day world. It seems to be the theme of most of his works, putting everyday, normal characters into completely surreal environments, although he's also very good at doing the opposite too, as shown in his Sandman series of comics. Anyway, back to Anansi Boys... I think this resonates really well with ANYBODY who has EVER felt like they've been in competition against a sibling. Which, y'know, is pretty much anyone with a sibling. At it's heart, it's a story about family and finding your identity within a family, which, again, I think a lot of people can identify with, but as it's a Gaiman novel, it obviously goes that extra mile in terms of it being about a God... but yeah, I really enjoyed this book. Good pick, Medium :)

medium13

Post by medium13 » 06 Nov 2010, 11:12

I'm still a little confused about the lime. It was kind of quirky and funny, but I didn't see the meaning behind it or what it was meant to symbolize. It seemed to have some deeper meaning, as Gaiman kept it in play. My only real complaint about the book is how Fat Charlie and Daisy decide to marry. I think that is another, longer story that could be told.

Crutey Anth

Post by Crutey Anth » 06 Nov 2010, 13:52

I as a Gaiman-aholic totally agree that this is a great book.

I'd also like to suggest reading Neverwhere and The Graveyard book too.

Neverwhere is an excellent book (oddly enough I didn't like it too much at first and ended up reading something else, second time I tried to read it I devoured it in 2 sittings and have read it many times since. It's brilliant).

The Graveyard book is a great children's story but totally enjoyable to adults too. The great thing is that each chapter is it's own little complete story too (but with over arching themes and sub plots running through)

Gibbering Fool

Post by Gibbering Fool » 07 Nov 2010, 04:23

I've read Neverwhere and American Gods, as well as Anansi Boys, and loved them all.

EvilMonkeyPope

Re: Anansi Boys by Neil Gaiman

Post by EvilMonkeyPope » 27 Apr 2014, 22:34

I read this recently & enjoyed it. There's going to be a BBC minisereies: http://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-26064494
Here's my improbable dream cast:
Fat Charlie - Anthony Mackie
Spider - Anthony Mackie
Mr. Nancy - Morgan Freeman
Daisy - Ruth Negga
Rosie - Freema Agyeman
Bird - Angela Bassett
Tiger - Harry Lennix
Graham Coates - Chris Barrie
Maeve Livingstone - Helen Mirren

Gibbering Fool

Re: Anansi Boys by Neil Gaiman

Post by Gibbering Fool » 29 Apr 2014, 09:23

Awesome. Its been a few years since I read the book so I can't remember the characters well.

Neverwhere is one of my favorite books of all time and My favorite Neil Gaiman book. I'm reading Good Omens right now, which he wrote with Terry Pratchett, so that might change