Welcome to unstablemolecules.com, the discussion home for mightyavengers.net, uncanon.com and uncannyxmen.net!

what are you reading?

Head over to the bookshelf and take your pick. We want to hear your thoughts on any past, present or future novels.
Crutey Anth

what are you reading?

Post by Crutey Anth » 19 Oct 2009, 08:57

What do you like Milkshake? Maybe We can point you in the right direction?

What about one of the Mike Carey Castor novels..the first one would probably be the best starting point?

sixhoursoflucy

what are you reading?

Post by sixhoursoflucy » 21 Oct 2009, 02:23

Milkshake, you should read Youth in Revolt by C.D. Payne. There's a movie coming out soon that's based off of it, but I doubt it will top the book in terms of laughs. Or maybe it will, but the book gets handicap points because it's much harder for a book to make me laugh out loud than a film, and I laughed out loud wholeheartedly several times while reading it. Seriously, it's hilarious. I give it my guarantee. Did you guys know Augusten Burroughs's brother wrote a book about Asperger's? I know this because we are reading it next for my book club.

Milkshake08

what are you reading?

Post by Milkshake08 » 21 Oct 2009, 16:29

Actually, I read that six. And loved it. The movie has Michael Cera, right? And you're in a book club? I should join one. The only book clubs I know of around where I am though is the Oprah one. And I've already read half the stuff she reccommends.

Oh, and Crutey, I like a lot of stuff. Classic, modern, trashy, anything that doesn't read like a romance novel. And actually I wouldn't mind a good scifi/fantasy series to burn through, either. I haven't read a good 6 book series in ages.

sixhoursoflucy

what are you reading?

Post by sixhoursoflucy » 21 Oct 2009, 16:34

Yeah, I'm in a book club, but it's basically one of those Oprah book clubs. We just read The Shack, for instance. It's held at my local library and it's all older women. I'm the only guy in it. Michael Cera IS going to be in that movie as Nick Twisp, and despite being too old for the role, I think it'll be a good film.

A Former UXN Forumite

what are you reading?

Post by A Former UXN Forumite » 21 Oct 2009, 18:03

Just bought Holly Black's sequel to Tithe- Ironside- but I'm halfway through Poul Anderson's The People of the Wind- definitely on a classic SF jag at the minute, so it'll have to wait.

The Bub

what are you reading?

Post by The Bub » 22 Oct 2009, 05:16

I'm digging into one of Penguin's Lovecraft anthologies (Thing on the Doorstep). Sometimes I can get completely caught up in his writing, other times I want to reach through time and smack him for jamming 87 adjectives into a sentence or describing every damn thing as "horrifying beyond imagination". Shadow Over Insmouth is still the high water mark in terms of terror, for me. When that door handle started to rattle my heart was pounding.

Also digging through Penguin's Lord Dunsany anthology. Love me some Gods of Pegana and Sacnoth.

I plan on rereading Tolkien's LOTR and Silmarilion. I usually end up going through these once every one or two years. Big Turin fan here.

Read CS Lewis' Lion and the blah blah blah book (finally) a couple of months ago. I might have really enjoyed it had I done this when I was 7. I think I spent a night and a half reading it cover to cover. A little too brief and cute for me (Mrs. Beaver? Really?), although I thought it was nice of Santa to bring all the children bladed weapons.

Its hard for me to read new stuff during the school semester other than comics. I usually can't afford the time. I've been writing papers since yesterday evening. Time for a nap before classes.

antonia31h

what are you reading?

Post by antonia31h » 22 Oct 2009, 14:41

I am currently reading Zadie Smith's White Teeth. Very good book, fuuny and witty, I truly recommend it.
CS Lewis is one of my favourites too, especially the Narnia Chronicles.
But the best remains Tolkien! LOTR trilogy is absolutely a classic must-read for everyone who enjoys reading fantasy.

Charles

what are you reading?

Post by Charles » 22 Oct 2009, 15:02

Born Bad by Andrew Vachss. A dark Crooked Little Vein style book written by a guy who use to manage a re-entry program for ex-convicts and directed a maximum-security prison for violent juvenile offenders.

Imbibe! by David Wondrich. Dissects the history of the American bartender and cocktail. As a history major and a bartender, I'm in heaven.

HP:Prisoner of Azkaban By J.K. Rowlings. GF making me read the series. Simultaneously, I have her reading Fables, insisting that it is better then Harry Potter. She has yet to coincide, but I will break her.

Cable

what are you reading?

Post by Cable » 22 Oct 2009, 15:23

[QUOTE=The Bub]
I plan on rereading Tolkien's LOTR and Silmarilion. I usually end up going through these once every one or two years. Big Turin fan here.
[/QUOTE]Have you tried Children of Hurin? It is a must-read if you are a Turin fan.

medium13

what are you reading?

Post by medium13 » 22 Oct 2009, 20:19

I picked up two books last night. The Book Thief and Hell, both of which caught my eye. I have big expectations for Hell.

Chazwinski

what are you reading?

Post by Chazwinski » 22 Oct 2009, 20:31

[QUOTE=sixhoursoflucy]Yeah, I'm in a book club, but it's basically one of those Oprah book clubs. We just read The Shack, for instance. It's held at my local library and it's all older women. I'm the only guy in it. [/QUOTE]

I just have a mental image of you, telling all those old Grandmas that their thoughts on "The Shack" are wrong and contradicting them, to irritate them. Then I picture them talking about YOU on their way home together.

Speaking of Oprah's book club...I made sure that the copy of Anna Karenina I'm reading did NOT have that lame "Oprah book club seal of approval stamp" on it. I actually wanted to read it before she picked it out and when I saw that it was one of her picks, I had to wait a few years so I wouldn't be confused with any Oprahists. By the way, I only have about 100 pages to go. I've loved it.

The Bub

what are you reading?

Post by The Bub » 22 Oct 2009, 21:22

Cable: Yeah, I picked it up the day it came out. I've also got Unfinished Tales and Lays of Beleriand to sate my House of Hador fix.

Milkshake08

what are you reading?

Post by Milkshake08 » 23 Oct 2009, 02:00

Chaz, I really want to read Anna Karenina! A few of my friends read it and said it was great. I think that'll be my next "classic" to read, before Austen's Northanger Abbey.

Chazwinski

what are you reading?

Post by Chazwinski » 23 Oct 2009, 15:18

I just finished it today. It's so long it takes a while to read, but unlike some classics, it is easy to understand, and it helps that the chapters are fairly short. It's easy to read a few and then set it down...and it's always enjoyable to pick it back up and start where you left off. Kind of like revisiting old friends... I was struck at how well Tolstoy presents the rapidly changing emotions and thoughts of his characters...and how little people have changed in their hopes, fears and dreams in the last 150 years. What an incredible love story!
A true masterpiece in literature.

A1xx

what are you reading?

Post by A1xx » 26 Oct 2009, 03:59

I'm currently reading a Tami Hoag book called A Thin Red Line. I've had it four about five years but I've never gotten around to actually reading it. It's pretty grim, and pretty dark, full of things we couldn't even begin to describe or discuss on this forum, but all in all its a good read. My only problem is that there's plenty of Cajun French in here and although I've been reading Gambit since the 90s, theres some words I simply don't recognize or can't pronounce. But, like I said, other than that, it's getting an A so far in my opinion.

mutielover12

what are you reading?

Post by mutielover12 » 27 Oct 2009, 13:50

I just finished reading a book called Luna which is about a transgender girl in high school. I'm about to read The Other Boleyn Girl which I heard was good.

medium13

what are you reading?

Post by medium13 » 27 Oct 2009, 20:30

I have mixed feelings about The Other Boleyn Girl. Interesting story but it pushed the boundaries for historical fiction as a genre almost too far. Is it even historical fiction or just fiction borrowing from the past? Good topic though. I find anything to do with the Tudor's fascinating.

JanO

what are you reading?

Post by JanO » 28 Oct 2009, 04:39

I just finished "The Fall of The Roman Empire: A New History" by Peter Heather, an English History professor.

Man, that was dence! But it is seriously the most authorative book on the subject I ever read. The research, arguments and narative are all superb, the latest research was included, in a word: spectacular. It's non-fiction of course, but he manages to bring people like Geiseric, Alaric, Autius, Honorius & Atila to live like no other. Highly recommended!!!

The Bub

what are you reading?

Post by The Bub » 28 Oct 2009, 15:21

I have that book by Heather. I picked it up in one of those 5 books for 5 dollars offers you get when you join a book club. Its been sitting on my shelf until I get time to read it.

JanO

what are you reading?

Post by JanO » 30 Oct 2009, 07:48

Dig into it! Sure, it can be a bit dense, but I came away with a much greater understanding of just what caused the most powerfull Empire in the world to collapse, and wasn't bored throughout any of the looooong explanations on Roman economy, agriculture or anything. It's amazing how lively he kept this.

Savant

what are you reading?

Post by Savant » 01 Nov 2009, 15:47

I just ordered The Annotated Dracula by Leslie Klinger.  It has an introduction Neil Gaiman I'm looking forward to reading.

JanO

what are you reading?

Post by JanO » 02 Nov 2009, 02:35

What kind of book is that? I personally LOVE the original Bram Stoker version.

Magnetolives2

what are you reading?

Post by Magnetolives2 » 02 Nov 2009, 12:59

Currently reading Paradise to Prison by John J. Davis. So far so good, but extremely academic. 

Omega Red

what are you reading?

Post by Omega Red » 14 Nov 2009, 20:09

I'm just starting to read Dean Koontz's book Odd Thomas, about a man who lives in a small desert town who knows and sees things about the living, the dead, and the soon to be dead, and has to attempt to prevent an oncoming whirlwind of violence and murder that is set to devastate his town and his life.The book has at least three sequels to follow it up, so I'll probably be kept busy with this series for a while to come!

Crawler

what are you reading?

Post by Crawler » 14 Nov 2009, 20:44

I just finished Neil Gaiman's American Gods. What an f-ed up book, but darn entertaining.