unstablemolecules.com & uncannyxmen.net are proud to present....mightyavengers.net!

what are you reading?

Head over to the bookshelf and take your pick. We want to hear your thoughts on any past, present or future novels.
Nu-D

Re: what are you reading?

Post by Nu-D » 21 Mar 2016, 18:10

Currently reading The Zahir by Paulo Coelho. I read The Alchemist not so long ago and it was OK. This is better, but still not gripping me. There's a hopeless pathos in this book to which I can't really relate.

EvilMonkeyPope

Post by EvilMonkeyPope » 22 Mar 2016, 01:27

The Immortal Life of Henrietta lacks was very illuminating.

GangrelMutant Reborn

Post by GangrelMutant Reborn » 24 Mar 2016, 00:43

I won a gift voucher / card at work, so I spent half of it on a DVD (Rebuild of Evangellion 3.33: You can (not) redo, in case anyone was interested) and the other half on books, so I bought The Man in the High Castle by Philip K Dick and the Bromeliad (Truckers, Diggers and Wings collected in one volume) by Terry Pratchett.
_________
Gangrel

"Hobgoblin. You are a wannabe monster. I've spent my entire life slaying real ones. Why do you think they're extinct?"
Hercules - Herc, Fear Itself

Nu-D

Post by Nu-D » 24 Mar 2016, 01:27

GangrelMutant Reborn wrote:I won a gift voucher / card at work, so I spent half of it on a DVD (Rebuild of Evangellion 3.33: You can (not) redo, in case anyone was interested) and the other half on books, so I bought The Man in the High Castle by Philip K Dick and the Bromeliad (Truckers, Diggers and Wings collected in one volume) by Terry Pratchett.
The Man in the High Castle is a classic, but I confess it's not one of my favorite PKD novels. My favorites were A Scanner Darkly, UBIK, The Three Stigmata of Palmer Eldrich, VALIS and The Transmigration of Timothy Archer. I confess, I probably read more than 20 PKD novels between the ages of 14 and 15, and I've only re-read the VALIS trilogy since then, so many of them kind of blur together.

Also, there have been a lot of posthumous publications of "books" that were really just incomplete manuscripts. I think one was called "Radio Free Albemuth," or something like that, and it was clearly just a rough draft of VALIS.

EvilMonkeyPope

Post by EvilMonkeyPope » 27 Mar 2016, 22:43

You still have time to pay what you want for 24 sci-fi & thriller eBooks & support charity with Booktrope's Humble Bundle! https://www.humblebundle.com/books/book ... ler-novels

Hugo noms are open through March 31. http://midamericon2.org/the-hugo-awards ... minations/ Could anyone who is a member nominate my book, The Dolorous Adventure of Brother Banenose?

Nu-D

Post by Nu-D » 07 Apr 2016, 00:56

A question for the general public: I never read the Illuminatus! Trilogy. Is it worth the bother?

EvilMonkeyPope

Post by EvilMonkeyPope » 07 Apr 2016, 01:40

It depends what you're looking to get out of it.

Nu-D

Post by Nu-D » 08 Apr 2016, 15:28

EvilMonkeyPope wrote:It depends what you're looking to get out of it.
What can be got out of it? What will it not offer?

EvilMonkeyPope

Post by EvilMonkeyPope » 10 Apr 2016, 23:45

It's a very long & convoluted comedy about how every conspiracy theory is accurate. I suspect it's intentionally confusing. At times it has a LOEG vibe.

Nu-D

Post by Nu-D » 14 Apr 2016, 12:42

I don't know what LOEG is.

I've read 30-40 pages. Does it ever settle into a straightforward narrative, or does it continue to meander in and out of a dozen different stories with no warning or transition? It's a fine gimmick for a prologue or some chapters, but eventually I'm going to want some cohesiveness. Dropping random sentences unrelated to the rest of the paragraph takes the reader out of the book, and prevents real engagement.

EvilMonkeyPope

Post by EvilMonkeyPope » 14 Apr 2016, 23:01

League of Extraordinary Gentlemen
There is more of a plot toward the end, but it's mostly rambling.

Nu-D

Post by Nu-D » 18 Apr 2016, 00:29

EvilMonkeyPope wrote:There is more of a plot toward the end, but it's mostly rambling.
Yeah. I've given up on it. I get the author's point in writing such a rambling narrative, but really in this day and age, and at my stage in life, it's passé. I've got better books to read.

Gibbering Fool

Post by Gibbering Fool » 23 Apr 2016, 23:53

I'm currently reading The Ocean at the End of the Lane by Neil Gaiman and really enjoying it. I've gad it sitting on my shelf for about a year (big backlog of books) and glad I'm finally reading it

RingOtaku

Post by RingOtaku » 25 Apr 2016, 22:13

Currently reading the 10th Anniversary Edition of The Death Of WCW. I had read the original book but this has new pages and a new section at the end getting more into the legacy of WCW's demise and how other wrestling companies haven't learned. Even if you aren't a big fan of wrestling seeing the break-down over several years makes you realize how hard it is to produce quality programming of any kind when you have a large crew and people only looking out for their own short-term goals.
D20 Roulette: A Podcast of Geeks and Raging. https://rouletteproductions.com

Blackcyclops

Post by Blackcyclops » 23 May 2016, 05:11

I might read that RingO. I'd love a podcast oral history because I've recently got into a similar one about old Hollywood
I'm Team Remender, Waid, Hickman and Gillen

My X-Men Draft Picks:
Prof. X, Legion, Polaris, Quicksilver, Meggan, Deadpool, Pixie, and Danger

EvilMonkeyPope

Post by EvilMonkeyPope » 30 May 2016, 03:31

I read the comic adaptation of The Great & Secret Show, but should I read the full novel before starting Everville?

EvilMonkeyPope

Post by EvilMonkeyPope » 04 Jul 2016, 07:51

Here’s my new favorite insult, courtesy of James Clavell’s Noble House: “And thine [mother] was stuffed by a vagrant monkey with one testicle in a pail of pig’s nightsoil.” Not only is it more inventive than your average gutter slur, it also raises many questions worth pondering. Does the vagrant monkey on have one testicle total? Or does it have two but somehow managed to get only one inside a pail of pig’s nightsoil? How big is this pail if both your mother and a monkey can fornicate inside it? Or did the monkey monkey stuff your mother in a nonsexual way as one does to Thanksgiving turkeys? Or has she been turned into a work of taxidermy? So many possibilities to picture!

This was Murphy’s Law incarnate in book form. The near collapse of Hong Kong’s economy felt eerily topical as I read it. There’s a few conversations that delightfully begin with “Honorable Werewolf,” but it’s sadly lacking in genuine lycanthropes. To make up for that, it does have a rare instance of a burning banquet boat.

Impossible Prince

Post by Impossible Prince » 04 Jul 2016, 08:48

I just finished the sequel to The Rook, called Stiletto, by Daniel O'Malley. I recommend both books highly! It's an English SHIELD run by X-Men premise. The humour is intelligent and never becomes precocious. The Rook is being made into a TV series, though I suspect it will most likely falter unless FX or AMC or HBO get it, not due to subject matter, but I can imagine how a network would make huge changes (like set it in America or something). In the right hands, this series could easily outshine and overshadow the X-Men movies (which might force FOX to up their game).

Nu-D

Post by Nu-D » 09 Aug 2016, 12:13

I just read Divergent. Whoa boy is it terrible. But I have to read the sequels too, because I promised a 13-year-old girl in El Salvador we'd talk about them.

Meanwhile, I also recently finished Let the Great World Spin on the recommendation of my sister-in-law. Colum McCann is a talented writer. On nearly every page he has a phrase or a sentence that's so carefully crafted I stop, re-read and ponder it. There are some flaws--he does some Joycean steam-of-consciousness prose that's tired, the end is a bit to pat. But the characters are very compelling.

I'm also reading Graham Green's The Quiet American, but I keep getting sidetracked to look up stuff bout Vietnam on wikipedia.

MartijnB

Post by MartijnB » 03 Sep 2016, 12:53

I have only today begun reading George Orwell's 1984... I was prepared for the book's concept but not so much the atmosphere... man do I feel gloomy now... this will be an interesting ride.

Nu-D

Post by Nu-D » 09 Sep 2016, 00:46

MartijnB wrote:I have only today begun reading George Orwell's 1984... I was prepared for the book's concept but not so much the atmosphere... man do I feel gloomy now... this will be an interesting ride.

1984 is one of those books that is important, while simultaneously being not very good. It's important because it really helped Americans (and the British) think about the nature of totalitarianism, the importance of free speech and privacy, and the power and effects of propaganda. At the time the book was written, people really didn't understand these things very well, and Orwell opened their eyes. These days, the book does the same for high-schoolers; but most educated adults are immersed in these ideas and take them for granted. The book was revolutionary for me when I was 15, but when I re-read the book in my early 30's, my thoughts mostly ran along the lines, "well duh, that's obvious."

On the other hand, the characters are two-dimensional and the prose is alternately pedantic or vapid or somehow both at the same time. Orwell was a journalist, and some of his books are wonderfully eloquent. Homage to Catalonia, for example, really does an excellent job of capturing humanity in the Spanish Civl War. Orwell had a great grasp on Spanish culture, and kept the pedantry to a minimum (Chapter 5, in particular). But his fictional Russo-Brittania was dull, dull, dull, and the people in it had no real character. He was a far better reporter than novelist.

EvilMonkeyPope

Post by EvilMonkeyPope » 29 Nov 2016, 22:57

Instead of playing video games, I'm reading Ready Player One, a book about other people playing video games within a video game. That ... sounds like I have even less of a life.

Anna Raven

Post by Anna Raven » 30 Nov 2016, 00:21

EvilMonkeyPope wrote:Instead of playing video games, I'm reading Ready Player One, a book about other people playing video games within a video game. That ... sounds like I have even less of a life.
Ready Player One is great. I'm looking forward to the movie.
MCU Draft Results: Spider-Man | Cyclops | Black Panther II | Sister Grimm | Crystal and Lockjaw | The Strucker Twins | Killmonger | The Frost Sisters | Zemo

EvilMonkeyPope

Post by EvilMonkeyPope » 30 Nov 2016, 12:34

I'm concerned by Art3mis's casting & the lack of Aech.

Anna Raven

Post by Anna Raven » 30 Nov 2016, 16:08

EvilMonkeyPope wrote:I'm concerned by Art3mis's casting & the lack of Aech.
I'm more concerned with the lack of IP for all the various movie and game references. If they don't have the Tomb of Horrors, I'm gonna be pissed.
MCU Draft Results: Spider-Man | Cyclops | Black Panther II | Sister Grimm | Crystal and Lockjaw | The Strucker Twins | Killmonger | The Frost Sisters | Zemo