Welcome to unstablemolecules.com, the discussion home for mightyavengers.net, uncanon.com and uncannyxmen.net!

what are you reading?

Head over to the bookshelf and take your pick. We want to hear your thoughts on any past, present or future novels.
grief

what are you reading?

Post by grief » 05 Oct 2009, 22:07

I have trouble re-reading Animorphs, but I love KA Applegate's other two series - Otherworld and Remnants. Otherworld, for those not in the know, is about four teenagers who get pulled into Otherworld because one of them is dating a witch who is wanted by the Gods. After Christianity came into being and human kind stopped believing in the various other deities, the gods of these other religions packed up some followers and moved to another dimension. The four teens must find a way to survive in Otherworld, as well as resolve the mystery surrounding Senna (the witch), AND find a way to return/stay on Earth. When they go to sleep in Otherworld, they return to Earth.It's a really brutal series, right off the bat. Lots of death, lots of swearing, lots of realism for a book about gods and magic. Excellant teen characters in a medival setting.Remnants, on the other hand, is sci-fi. Some time in the future, a gigantic asteroid is on a collision course with Earth and one ship - the Mayflower - makes it off. The survivors (what few their are) awake in an alien environment and must deal with ALL KINDS of crap, plus each other. There's lots of hierarchial bickery, politicking, backstabbery, and messed up stuff in this one. Unfortunately for me, I've never read past book 6. Still love it though.

Chazwinski

what are you reading?

Post by Chazwinski » 09 Oct 2009, 22:51

I finished Neal Stephenson's "Anathem" and I'm reading Tolstoy's "Anna Karenina", currently. It's great! I'm sorry I took so long to tackle it.

Crawler

what are you reading?

Post by Crawler » 10 Oct 2009, 01:14

[QUOTE=grief]I have trouble re-reading Animorphs, but I love KA Applegate's other two series - Otherworld and Remnants. Otherworld, for those not in the know, is about four teenagers who get pulled into Otherworld because one of them is dating a witch who is wanted by the Gods. After Christianity came into being and human kind stopped believing in the various other deities, the gods of these other religions packed up some followers and moved to another dimension. The four teens must find a way to survive in Otherworld, as well as resolve the mystery surrounding Senna (the witch), AND find a way to return/stay on Earth. When they go to sleep in Otherworld, they return to Earth.It's a really brutal series, right off the bat. Lots of death, lots of swearing, lots of realism for a book about gods and magic. Excellant teen characters in a medival setting.Remnants, on the other hand, is sci-fi. Some time in the future, a gigantic asteroid is on a collision course with Earth and one ship - the Mayflower - makes it off. The survivors (what few their are) awake in an alien environment and must deal with ALL KINDS of crap, plus each other. There's lots of hierarchial bickery, politicking, backstabbery, and messed up stuff in this one. Unfortunately for me, I've never read past book 6. Still love it though.
[/QUOTE]You mean Everworld, right? Still, it was a freaking amazing story. I love-love-loved it, man.

grief

what are you reading?

Post by grief » 10 Oct 2009, 03:40

>.<Now I just feel stupid. THANKS Hunter. S'right there on the freakin' booskshelf too... *walks away mumbling*

Crutey Anth

what are you reading?

Post by Crutey Anth » 10 Oct 2009, 05:03

I just finished reading Anansi boys by Gaiman again, really like that book.

I'm also half way through (I'm a 2 book on the go kinda guy) The God Delusion by Richard Dawkins. He's not telling me anything I don't already know but is giving me more examples to use when explaining it to people :)

He's a bit wrong though, there is a God and his name is Claremont and we must all worship him!

BlackQueen

what are you reading?

Post by BlackQueen » 10 Oct 2009, 08:35

I'm currently re-reading "The Ghost and Mrs. Muir" by Josephine Leslie. (RA Dick)

A Former UXN Forumite

what are you reading?

Post by A Former UXN Forumite » 10 Oct 2009, 08:58

[QUOTE=grief] Otherworld, for those not in the know, is about four teenagers who get pulled into Otherworld because one of them is dating a witch who is wanted by the Gods. After Christianity came into being and human kind stopped believing in the various other deities, the gods of these other religions packed up some followers and moved to another dimension. The four teens must find a way to survive in Otherworld, as well as resolve the mystery surrounding Senna (the witch), AND find a way to return/stay on Earth. When they go to sleep in Otherworld, they return to Earth.It's a really brutal series, right off the bat. Lots of death, lots of swearing, lots of realism for a book about gods and magic. Excellant teen characters in a medival setting.[/QUOTE]

Sounds interesting, whatever the name! I really like the books that mix up the modern world and magic- Charles de Lynt does some excellent books on that theme. Recently read Holly Black's Tithe- obviously aimed at teens/young adults, but who cares? Her heroine is a drop-out daughter of a jobbing musician- who can see faerie, 'good' and 'bad'. As the story progresses she finds out what her own connection to the Folk is- nearly getting killed in the process. Good stuff, and I'm planning to read the sequel and Black's other books.

Cable

what are you reading?

Post by Cable » 11 Oct 2009, 12:22

I am currently on a mission to read the collected works of William Shakespeare. Finished The Tempest, Two Gentlemen of Verona, and Merry Wives of Windsor. Twelfth Night; Or, What You Will is next.

Milkshake08

what are you reading?

Post by Milkshake08 » 12 Oct 2009, 16:10

Going through my list and just read the 1st of Charlaine Harris's Sookie Stackhouse novels (a la "True Blood"), Dead and Gone. Not the greatest book, obviously, but I can honestly say it was one of the sexiest novels I've ever read, besides Pride and Prejudice. I felt like I needed to make out with someone immediately after each chapter.

sixhoursoflucy

what are you reading?

Post by sixhoursoflucy » 12 Oct 2009, 16:26

I'm reading the most rubbish book right now for my library's book club. It's called The Shack. 

Laudo

what are you reading?

Post by Laudo » 12 Oct 2009, 16:38

Ugh. That was definitely the worst book ever. At least, if you're speaking of the one that's marketed as Christian Inspiration, but really it just defaces what Christians believe. .

dandoruinn

what are you reading?

Post by dandoruinn » 12 Oct 2009, 17:40

[QUOTE=Cable]I am currently on a mission to read the collected works of William Shakespeare. Finished The Tempest, Two Gentlemen of Verona, and Merry Wives of Windsor. Twelfth Night; Or, What You Will is next.
[/QUOTE]Ah, I love The Tempest!  It's my favorite Shakespeare play.

Crawler

what are you reading?

Post by Crawler » 12 Oct 2009, 17:44

I'm in the middle of working my way through a massive Marvel fan-fiction series called All God's Children that, much to my college's disdain, I've been printing off. I've worked my way through issue #43 out of 85 and we have been slowly re-releasing them at Marvel Omega in response to Geocities (its former server) being set to close. http://marvel.omegacen.com/agc.html Sorry, that probably reads more as a plug than anything, but the truth of the matter is that it's what I'm reading right now.I'm also a chapter into Peter & Max:  A Fables Novel. I thought there were more Fables readers on this forum, though. :P

Gibbering Fool

what are you reading?

Post by Gibbering Fool » 12 Oct 2009, 19:55

I just have to say Im happy to see other people read Animorphs and Everworld.  Grief, Crawler, lets be friends I can re-read Everworld pretty easily, but I agree with you Grief that Animorphs is a bit harder to re-read.  I actually think if I powered through the first ten or so novels, or skipped them, I'd be ok.  As I remember the novels improved greatly as the series progresses. Tghere are a few dud stories though.I only read the first five Remnants novels sadly, then my bookstore stopped suppling them.  I enjoyed it.  There was so much death lol.

Milkshake08

what are you reading?

Post by Milkshake08 » 12 Oct 2009, 20:22

Hey, I brought it up! Haha. Where does one find Remnants or Everworld?

grief

what are you reading?

Post by grief » 13 Oct 2009, 00:21

I'm honestly not sure on either. The major bookchains don't really carry them anymore as they're both pretty old at this point, but used bookstores have a pretty good amount of Everworld I've found. I could probably buy the series two or three times over with all that stores around me. : DI really should devote some money to getting Remnants though.

smaug007

what are you reading?

Post by smaug007 » 13 Oct 2009, 09:38

Like Cable, I'm trying to read through all of Shakespeare's plays but am going much slower-I'm trying to find any films made so I can view them after reading each play. The latest I have finished is The Two Gentlemen of Verona.

I am also reading Law and History, Currently Legal Issues 2003, Volume 6. It is a collection of essays by legal historians. What can I say, I am a law geek .

Milkshake08

what are you reading?

Post by Milkshake08 » 13 Oct 2009, 16:08

I love Two Gentlemen of Verona, but it is one that is def. better when you see it performed, kind of like Measure for Measure and Midsummer Night's Dream. I think my favorite Shakespeare plays to read are Twelfth Night, King Lear, and Romeo and Juliet. They really move when read. Are you reading the History plays too? Because more power to you if you can get through them....all the Henry's are pretty, well, boring to a modern audience.

I just started on Michael Chabon's latest book, Manhood for Amateurs. It's strange for me, because all his books are so...epic? Or at least very well plotted with good pacing and great character depth. But this one is kind of like reading a haughtier David Sedaris book, and that's just weird.

A Former UXN Forumite

what are you reading?

Post by A Former UXN Forumite » 13 Oct 2009, 16:26

[QUOTE=Milkshake08] Are you reading the History plays too? Because more power to you if you can get through them....all the Henry's are pretty, well, boring to a modern audience.[/QUOTE]

I did Henry IV Part I for English Lit: STUNNINGLY boring! All I can remember from it really are the Elizabethan insults and swearwords.

Chazwinski

what are you reading?

Post by Chazwinski » 13 Oct 2009, 16:35

[QUOTE=Milkshake08]I

I just started on Michael Chabon's latest book, Manhood for Amateurs. It's strange for me, because all his books are so...epic? Or at least very well plotted with good pacing and great character depth. But this one is kind of like reading a haughtier David Sedaris book, and that's just weird.[/QUOTE]

Excellent writer! Let me know how you like it when you finish. The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier and Clay is an all-time favorite of mine. I liked Wonder Boys but I didn't like The Mysteries of Pittsburgh quite as much.

Milkshake08

what are you reading?

Post by Milkshake08 » 13 Oct 2009, 20:56

Kavalier and Clay is my favorite modern novel. And that's saying a lot, considering it centers around two male protagonists, and not a female. Wonder Boys is good, and Yiddish Policeman's Union is okay...and is being made into a movie by the Cohen brothers.

Chazwinski

what are you reading?

Post by Chazwinski » 14 Oct 2009, 11:04

There were talks of a movie with Tobey Maguire as Clay, and Natalie Portman as Rosa...but it never got off the ground. Seeing as how Maguire already played one of the leads in Wonder Boys, I was kind of glad this didn't go foward. I get sick of looking at him for some reason. Anyway, I can't heap enough praise on Kavalier and Clay. It should be required reading!
 I never watched the movie of The Mysteries of Pittsburgh with Sienna Miller and Peter Saarsguard...mainly because I was really ticked off that they combined Cleveland and Arthur Lecomte's characters. In the book, Cleveland is completely heterosexual and Arthur LeComte is homosexual. Combining them into one bisexual character to make the film "run smoother" didn't sit well with me. It changed some of the crucial plotlines. Maybe I should have given it a chance, but I hate it when Hollywood messes around with key elements.

A Former UXN Forumite

what are you reading?

Post by A Former UXN Forumite » 19 Oct 2009, 00:06

Ive been working my way through the Dresden files books by Jim Butcher i just finished the third one called grave peril. They are pretty good overall so far and I love the main character. They aren't literary wonders or groundbreaking but they are a really fun read.

Milkshake08

what are you reading?

Post by Milkshake08 » 19 Oct 2009, 01:07

Well, Chaz, finished "Manhood"...it was ok. It was pretty much an series of events in Chabon's life that relate to his fatherhood, being a son, being a husband, and, well being a comic book nerd. I think it's a well written book, it's just not my favorite of his. I like novels, though, and not a lot of non-fiction. And now I'm onto my next Jane Austen novel. Anybody have a fun book to read when I'm finished with that? I like to stagger my "classic" literature with more modern or less lauded books in between. I almost feel like I should star reading Star Wars novels.

Gibbering Fool

what are you reading?

Post by Gibbering Fool » 19 Oct 2009, 02:23

I used to read Star Wars novels, back when it was easy to keep track of their continuity.  I got lost around the time the the Yuhzan Vong invaded.