Welcome to unstablemolecules.com, the discussion home for mightyavengers.net, uncanon.com and uncannyxmen.net!

what are you reading?

Head over to the bookshelf and take your pick. We want to hear your thoughts on any past, present or future novels.
grief

what are you reading?

Post by grief » 17 Sep 2009, 18:52

[QUOTE=Laudo]Has anyone ever written any good X-related novels?[/QUOTE]The Christopher Golden novels are really good - at least, last time I read them they were. Admittedly, that was years ago. But it's got EVERYTHING in there. The titles are Siege, Sanctuary, and Salvation.For those not in the know, the (rough) plot: Using  the 90's set of X-Men, the Starjammers fall to Earth needing help. I will freely admit that I don't remember why, but a contingent with Cyclops head up into space to help out. Meanwhile, Magneto and the Acolytes work to take over New York City as a mutant sanctuary. A large portion of the conflict comes from missing most of the X-Men in space, leaving those on Earth unprepared to deal with Magneto and his Acolytes. Everyone was written in character and the Acolytes never felt more like real characters than they do in these books. Plus, the chapter breaks have neat little sketches by Rick Leonardi (whose work I love), so that's a plus. I remember reading practically all of the Spider-Man books in high school, but none of them really stick out...

Gibbering Fool

what are you reading?

Post by Gibbering Fool » 17 Sep 2009, 19:38

I can only remember reading one Comic novel, and that was a really good Spiderman one.  I can't rememebr what it was called but it had Venom ion it as well.  I think a Venom doppleganger was killing people, which lead to some Spidey/Venom fights before they teamed up to take down the creature.  I liekd it.I just finished reading Prey byt Micheal Chriton.  Man that guy must be smart; its the first novel I've read with a bibliography.  It was about a swarm of nanomachines that goes rogue, and he crammed so much science in there I feel smarter after reading it lol.

A Former UXN Forumite

what are you reading?

Post by A Former UXN Forumite » 18 Sep 2009, 05:15

Crichton was seriously under-rated. Even Jurrasic Park has some serious science behind it, unlike the film. Congo is also very good.

Polaris

what are you reading?

Post by Polaris » 18 Sep 2009, 05:20

Currently reading Possible Side Effects by Augusten Burroughs (and Roman just leant me Dry, which I'll read right after I'm finished)

A Former UXN Forumite

what are you reading?

Post by A Former UXN Forumite » 18 Sep 2009, 05:31

So what is Possible Side Effects about?

medium13

what are you reading?

Post by medium13 » 18 Sep 2009, 13:42

How do you feel about Augusten Burroughs? I am still kind of turned off by the slew of memoirs that came out in the last few years so I hesitate to read anyhing else by him.

grief

what are you reading?

Post by grief » 18 Sep 2009, 13:44

[QUOTE=Magpie]Crichton was seriously under-rated. Even Jurrasic Park has some serious science behind it, unlike the film. Congo is also very good.[/QUOTE]I saw JP as a kid and then tried to read the book, not getting it AT ALL. I did like Sphere though. One'a those books that BLEW MY MIND kinda deal.

sixhoursoflucy

what are you reading?

Post by sixhoursoflucy » 18 Sep 2009, 14:19

[QUOTE=Gibbering Fool]I can only remember reading one Comic novel, and that was a really good Spiderman one.  I can't rememebr what it was called but it had Venom ion it as well.  I think a Venom doppleganger was killing people, which lead to some Spidey/Venom fights before they teamed up to take down the creature.  I liekd it.[/QUOTE]You know, I think I have that book. I read it in sixth grade when I was into Spider-Man. Is it the same book where Spider-Man and Venom are talking, and Venom threatens to eat some guy's spleen, and Spidey's all, "do you even know what the spleen is or where to find it?" That's about the only thing I remember. I read Running with Scissors by Augusten Burroughs and was underwhelmed. Sure, he had an interesting childhood, but his prose did nothing to bring that story to life. I refuse to get behind a writer just because he's gay.

A Former UXN Forumite

what are you reading?

Post by A Former UXN Forumite » 18 Sep 2009, 14:44

It would help to have at least a basic summary of these books, to see if they are worth checking out.

absolutely

what are you reading?

Post by absolutely » 18 Sep 2009, 15:09

[QUOTE=sixhoursoflucy]I read Running with Scissors by Augusten Burroughs and was underwhelmed. Sure, he had an interesting childhood, but his prose did nothing to bring that story to life. I refuse to get behind a writer just because he's gay. [/QUOTE]
I used to make that mistake all the time. However, nowadays, a lot of my least favorite authors are gay. Gregory MacGuire springs to mind. In my early teens, I would've declared myself a devout Gregory MacGuire fan, even though I find his books lackluster and confusing, just because he's a "sister".

Managed to knock another book off my "Wishbone" list: Silas Marner. It was pretty dull.

However, I just finished "The Namesake" by Jhumpa Lahiri, and it was one of the best books I've ever read. I actually teared up at certain parts, something books never, ever make me do normally. It was a beautiful story.

A Former UXN Forumite

what are you reading?

Post by A Former UXN Forumite » 20 Sep 2009, 08:05

I'm currently halfway through 'The Reality Dysfunction' by Peter F Hamilton- never heard of him before, but he seems to have written a ton of books.

It seems to be space-opera in the old style, with an incredibly convoluted plot and a lot of characters who don't, on the face of it, seem to have anything to do with each other. I'm reserving judgement though, 'cos I'm actually quite engaged by these characters. The background has a galaxy largely colonised by humans who are divided into 'Edenists' who use gene engineering (called 'geneering') and 'Adamists' who don't. There are also two inter-weaving subplots (which I suspect will turn out to be 'superplots') involving anti-matter WOMDs and alien possession.

It's giving me a headache, but I want to know where it goes.Magpie2009-09-21 06:56:20

Polaris

what are you reading?

Post by Polaris » 20 Sep 2009, 16:06

I don't care that Augusten Burroughs is gay. I don't even usually read books by gay authors, because I find they're typically contrite and egotystical. Burroughs is very self-conscious and always thinks people are thinking negative things about him. His loopy upbringing and experiences mirror my own (though his is to a somewhat greater extent). We even lost our V-Cards at the same age by older gentlemen, when we completely weren't ready for it. I sympathize with his stories and connect with his emotions, and his tales make me feel less alone. The biggest difference I have with Augusten is that I did not have support aside from a select few when I came out.

But yeah, that's why I read Burroughs. It's easy for me to connect with him and feel a little more normal.

EphemeristX

what are you reading?

Post by EphemeristX » 21 Sep 2009, 11:03

I'm currently rereading Idlewild by Nick Sagan.  Yes, from those Sagans.  It's an interesting little book about a guy who goes to an exclusive (exclusive as in 10 students and completely VR)  school who finds himself subject to a death plot.Yeah, there's alot I'm leaving out plot-wise, but it's a cool little story that deals with the nature of reality, self, and truth in nice little undertones.  I once read a book that dealt with Generation X and a group called the Genogoths.  It was okay.  I read another, though, about a little group of loser highschool mutants called the Ohio Mutant Conspiracy.  That one was pretty good.I looked it up.  It was called 'Smoke and Mirrors' and you can get it off Amazon for like 2 dollars used.
EphemeristX2009-09-21 11:10:16

Crutey Anth

what are you reading?

Post by Crutey Anth » 21 Sep 2009, 11:26

I've just finished 'Let the right one in' and Derren Brown's Trick of the mind.

I'm leaping into Freud, The interpretation of Dreams next.

Laudo

what are you reading?

Post by Laudo » 21 Sep 2009, 20:25

I'm a few chapters into To Your Scattered Bodies Go by Phillip Jose Farmer. It's the first in his Riverworld series. Without spoiling anything, it's basically about all of humanity being resurrected on a planet that's basically a perfect environment (no bugs, completely sterile, etc.). The main characters are Sir Richard Burton and Alice Liddle Hargreaves (the first being a real person, the second being a probably real person).

Douglas Mangum

what are you reading?

Post by Douglas Mangum » 21 Sep 2009, 23:56

I *loved* the Riverworld series! It is definitely one of the most imaginative settings of which I have ever read. The series is not without its faults and I content that Farmer changed directions for the whole enterprise when he began the 3rd novel, but it's definitely worth checking out. Also, you have to love a series where the second book has almost none of the characters from the first are in it.

dandoruinn

what are you reading?

Post by dandoruinn » 24 Sep 2009, 07:32

I'm reading  Black and White by Jackie Kessler and Caitlin Kitteridge.  Two young women are the main characters, and one's a registered superhero and the other is an elusive ex-superhero and now-supervillain.  It's pretty good so far.  We get to see how they chose their sides and how they grew up and some reasons.  I love books with multiple POVs, so I love this one.

medium13

what are you reading?

Post by medium13 » 24 Sep 2009, 23:33

I'm reading Under the Banner of Heaven, by Jon Krakauer. I borrowed it the other day on a whim since I really enjoyed Into the Wild (but Into Thin Air was a sleeper). The book is fascinating. Krakauer really excels at telling a quick, compelling story and then diving headfirst into the situation that caused it including a look at the religious movement in the United States. So far, I'm really impressed with his research and interviews and by the subject matter itself, since I've never been too familiar with the Mormon religion be it fundamental or otherwise.

Crutey Anth

what are you reading?

Post by Crutey Anth » 25 Sep 2009, 12:59

Laudo- Alice Liddel is the girl who Alice in Wonderland is based

Omega Red

what are you reading?

Post by Omega Red » 02 Oct 2009, 10:30

I'm now reading The Last Templar, by Raymond Khourry.  Just started it, so it's a bit early to be voicing opinions or passing comments on it, but early indications are good.'Tis the first novel I've read to feature someone having their head chopped off with a sword since I read Braveheart.

absolutely

what are you reading?

Post by absolutely » 02 Oct 2009, 19:00

I'm taking a really lit.-heavy course-load right now, meaning I'm up to my eyeballs in books for school. The first novel I have to tackle is Hardy's Jude the Obscure, possible the most depressing novel ever penned in the English language. Next on my "for school" list is a translated copy of The Primary Chronicle, a Russian historical text focusing on Kiev. Fun times!

Omega Red

what are you reading?

Post by Omega Red » 03 Oct 2009, 09:58

[QUOTE=grief]
The Christopher Golden novels are really good - at least, last time I read them they were. Admittedly, that was years ago. But it's got EVERYTHING in there. The titles are Siege, Sanctuary, and Salvation.[/QUOTE]I've got those books - I also remember them as being very worthwhile reads.  Haven't read them for a few years myself - need to re-read them.Other good X-novels include the Chaos Engine trilogy, featuring the X-Men attempting to deal with the threat of the Cosmic Cube after it falls into the hands of first Doctor Doom, then Magneto, and finally the Red Skull.  Lots of reality-warping, cameo appearances, etc.  Also, Dave Smeds wrote a good book entitled Law Of The Jungle, where a team of X-Men head down to the Savage Land to take on Sauron.  Finally, Marc Cerasini's Wolverine: Weapon X is a great tale that dives into Logan's origins and incarceration at the Weapon X compound in great detail.  Some strong violence abounds, which you'd expect from such a story.Any of these books are definitely worth a read.

dandoruinn

what are you reading?

Post by dandoruinn » 05 Oct 2009, 16:50

Agreed, and I must add the Generation X novelby Scott Lobdell and Elliot S! Maggin.  I loved it.  A new character was introduced.  Great characterization and great story.  Incredibly sad and funny.

Laudo

what are you reading?

Post by Laudo » 05 Oct 2009, 18:54

[QUOTE=Crutey Anth] Laudo- Alice Liddel is the girl who Alice in Wonderland is based[/QUOTE]

I know that, but there is some controversy over whether or not she actually existed. Some people say that Lewis Carrol was on Opium or something and had visions of a girl named Alice. I think it's stupid, but Merilyn Manson is/was making a movie about it.

Milkshake08

what are you reading?

Post by Milkshake08 » 05 Oct 2009, 20:20

Totally nerdy of me, but I was going through all my old books a couple weeks ago and saw all the old series I had (Babysitter's Club, Goosebumps) and came across Animorphs. I only got about a third of the way through them, so I picked them up and decided to finish. They each take about 90 minutes to read...and I really like them. Anyone else read those? It's been so much fun, I'm kind of thinking that after my next Austen novel, I'll take another romp and reread BSC or Goosebumps for nostalgia's sake.