unstablemolecules.com & uncannyxmen.net are proud to present....mightyavengers.net!

what are you reading?

Head over to the bookshelf and take your pick. We want to hear your thoughts on any past, present or future novels.
Crutey Anth

what are you reading?

Post by Crutey Anth » 16 Aug 2009, 17:28

So what is everyone reading now? Any good? worth a look?

I've just finished a brief history of nearly everything by Bill Bryson. A nice easy going popular science book.

It's good and quite funny (though that's more of the history of science and the stuff that happened rather than his style etc) still entertaining enough though.

So now the big question is what next? i'm going to be in the book club so I'm just looking for something short term while I wait for everyone to read the first two books in the Narnia series.

so what should it be:-
A bit Sherlock Holmes
Brave New World
or just stick with comics for a few weeks (I've been meaning to re-read Hellboy)

Gibbering Fool

what are you reading?

Post by Gibbering Fool » 16 Aug 2009, 20:22

I just finished The Last Albatross by Ian Irvive.  It was a great 'ecothriler' set in the near future.  Its a worse-case-scenario world, where global warming has taken place. The main characters are on the run from various ecoterroists who want to use information they possess to further their goals.I got a free book the other day, a fantasy one called Rippled Shadow, so I guess I'll read that next.  The author is in his early 20s like me and is already a published author, grrr I'm so jealous.I've never read any Sherlock Holmes, but I read Brave New World in High School I liked it.  It was a bit bleak though, especially the end.
Gibbering Fool2009-08-16 20:23:20

grief

what are you reading?

Post by grief » 16 Aug 2009, 20:34

I'm about half way through the Innocent Mage by Karen Miller. It's book 1 in a 2 book series that I've been eying for awhile. So far it's a good read! Interesting characters, a solid world foundation, and quite enjoyable all around.In my spare time I've started to re-reading the manga xxxHOLIC by CLAMP as well as my CrossGen comics. : /

absolutely

what are you reading?

Post by absolutely » 17 Aug 2009, 22:05

I recently read both I Am America (And So Can You!) by Stephen Colbert and America by Jon Stewart. Anybody else?
My next reading goal is to read every book featured in the TV show "Wishbone".

grief

what are you reading?

Post by grief » 18 Aug 2009, 20:24

I've been wanting to read I Am America for quite some time now - maybe I'll pick that one up.As for the Sherlock Holmes, the only story I ever read was the Hound of Baskervilles (due to it's connection to Wishbone actually. ; ) ) and it BORED THE CRAP OUT OF ME. I dunno if it was just me or what, but I that put a SERIOUS distaste in my mouth for Holmes.@gibbering - I hear ya on the "published-20-year-old-thing". It's why I shall forever hate Christopher Paolini (of Eragon fame) a little bit. >.<

absolutely

what are you reading?

Post by absolutely » 18 Aug 2009, 22:01

I Am America was so much fun. It's like the Colbert Report in physical, condensed, easy-to-transport form. Just so long as you're not easily offended by humor.

Hound of the Baskervilles is one of the worst Holmes stories. I feel like Sir Arthur Conan Doyle really wasn't in his element writing full-length novels. If you still want to give Holmes a shot, I would recommend "The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes". It's a collection of short stories, and there's even an X-Men connection; in the first story, "A Scandal in Bohemia", there's a character named Irene Adler who provides the basis for Destiny.

Crutey Anth

what are you reading?

Post by Crutey Anth » 19 Aug 2009, 04:01

I wrote a fan fiction story (on here actually) which had it being The Irene Adler and Mystique took up Holmes' role after his trip over the falls :)

JanO

what are you reading?

Post by JanO » 19 Aug 2009, 10:03

I just finished a book called Khan, an historical biography of Genghis Khan. Pretty awesome stuff, well researched and still a compelling read. Now, I'm re-reading Sex, Lies & Headlocks, sort of an expose on World Wrestling Entertainment. Pretty nice reading....

absolutely

what are you reading?

Post by absolutely » 19 Aug 2009, 14:25

Those both sound really interesting, JanO. I love it when books teach me things I didn't expect to learn.

I just finished reading "Clothe Your Family in Corduroy and Denim" by David Sedaris. I realized that I don't actually like him as an author, but continue to read his books because I feel a certain sense of sisterhood. I should probably stop doing that.

JanO

what are you reading?

Post by JanO » 20 Aug 2009, 03:00

Most of my reading besides comics is non-fiction, mostly histories. I hate the fact that my German is nowhere near the level I'd like it to be, because the best history-books I've seen are always in German... Grrrrrr....

A Former UXN Forumite

what are you reading?

Post by A Former UXN Forumite » 21 Aug 2009, 09:16

I'm re-reading Stephen Donaldson's Second Chronicles of Thomas Covenant- for the umpteenth time. I haven't read it for a few years, and I have to say Covenant's constant helplessness is annoying me. But that's the point, I suppose, 'too powerful to use power' etc.

Chazwinski

what are you reading?

Post by Chazwinski » 21 Aug 2009, 19:05

I needed something to read and made the mistake of picking Tsar by Ted Bell in the best-seller section. It's sort of like James Bond, but I'm finding it completely pedestrian and mindless. One of the sex scenes was so melodramatic that I found myself laughing out loud. Somebody asked if my book was really funny and I told them, "No, it's just so cheesy, I can't help but laugh."  I'm commited to finish it, but this is going to be a slow read for me.Chazwinski2009-08-21 19:06:42

absolutely

what are you reading?

Post by absolutely » 21 Aug 2009, 21:14

I hate it when I start a book, and it's horrible, but I'm too obssessive to give up until I finish it. The last time that happened was when I read Ada/Ardor by Nabokov. That is one dull read.

Has anybody read "City of Glass" by Paul Auster? I finished it a couple of days ago and really loved it. It's very postmodern, sort of a criticism of the noir detective genre. It was adapted as a graphic novel by David Mazzucchelli and Paul Karasik and was crazy enjoyable.absolutely2009-08-21 21:15:00

Chazwinski

what are you reading?

Post by Chazwinski » 22 Aug 2009, 01:10

One of the reasons I'm obsessive is because some of the best books I ever read took quite a while to get interesting and then looking back at it you realize that the slow start was necessary to the story. I'm not optomistic about this one, though.
There have been a few that I couldn't get through. Once I quit reading a book because the "hero" killed some shmoe who sold his girlfriend a hit of acid. I'm not condoning drug use, but don't you think that's kinda harsh? I mean, maybe she kept begging the guy to sell it to her...ultimately, it was her decision to take it. If the author was trying to portray the main character as crazy like the Punisher, I would understand, but no...it was implied that this would be the moral thing to do and so I just tossed the book aside.
The other book I remember not finishing was one about some soap opera star torn between two men that someone left for me at work. Blecchhh.

A Former UXN Forumite

what are you reading?

Post by A Former UXN Forumite » 02 Sep 2009, 06:50

Just went through my Terry Prachett collection again- it's the literary equivalent of comfort eating!

Now I've dug out some old Andre Norton (Witchworld series); classic old fanntasy.

absolutely

what are you reading?

Post by absolutely » 02 Sep 2009, 14:59

For I while, I was trying to read "Nation" by Terry Pratchett but I couldn't get past the first chapter for some reason.

Incidentally, I've now read twenty-four of the books that were featured on 'Wishbone'. Only twenty-two left to go.

Chazwinski

what are you reading?

Post by Chazwinski » 02 Sep 2009, 18:23

Only 20 more pages of the excruciating "Tsar" and then on to "Anathem" by Neal Stephenson ( I hope it's as good as "Cryptonomicon").

Bigstever

what are you reading?

Post by Bigstever » 07 Sep 2009, 01:42

I've been hooked on a lot of Stephen King lately. Currently reading "The Regulators".

A Former UXN Forumite

what are you reading?

Post by A Former UXN Forumite » 07 Sep 2009, 07:11

Ok, had my Norton fix; now I'm re-reading Brian Stableford's Daedalus Mission series. It's quite an interesting premise; roughly 100 years before, earth sent out a series of colony ships to 'hospitable' worlds, practically bankrupting itself in the process. Now a team of scientists and diplomats are going out to find out what happened to them, and fix any problems. There's a lot of biology/ecology involved, if you like that sort of thing (I do), and also a lot of interpersonal and moral stuff: Is it right to spend precious resources on founding other worlds instead of fixing the one we've got? Quite timely, really, even if they were written 30 years ago.

Omega Red

what are you reading?

Post by Omega Red » 09 Sep 2009, 08:34

I've just finished reading the Die For Me/Scream For Me/Kill For Me trilogy, by Karen Rose.  I found them to be very good reads - Rose writes very compelling works.  Full of interesting and likeable characters whom you really hope will survive till the end (and some not so likeable ones that you really hope will die!)  The subject matter for the story is quite dark - the focus being largely on prostituton, rape and murder - so may not be to everyones' tastes.But I enjoyed them.

Crutey Anth

what are you reading?

Post by Crutey Anth » 09 Sep 2009, 10:04

absolutely, any chance of the list of Wishbone books?

I'm currently reading Let The Right One in by John Lindqvist.

Slightly disturbing and bleak at the minute. Murder, bullying, paedophillia, acid face wash, alcoholism...oh and vampires

Omega Red

what are you reading?

Post by Omega Red » 13 Sep 2009, 19:49

I'm now reading a book that's a lot lighter in tone - The Men Commandments, by Christian O'Connell.  It's unashamedly sexist, but funny as all-get-out.  After the dark subject matter of the last books I read, it's time for something considerably more light-hearted!

Circular Logic

what are you reading?

Post by Circular Logic » 13 Sep 2009, 20:07

Been reading 'Rant' by Chuck Palahniuk.  Its a pretty good story, and im only a 1/4th into it, so that's a good sign.  I've read some of his other works and enjoyed them, so I am confident this one will deliver.  Sometimes some of his content can be unnecessarily risque it seems, but its all in good fun.Has anyone read any good X-related novels?  I've seen them before but never was sure if there was anything worthwhile.Circular Logic2009-09-13 20:08:52

Laudo

what are you reading?

Post by Laudo » 13 Sep 2009, 20:44

Has anyone ever written any good X-related novels?

A Former UXN Forumite

what are you reading?

Post by A Former UXN Forumite » 17 Sep 2009, 17:57

[QUOTE=Omega Red] I'm now reading a book that's a lot lighter in tone - The Men Commandments, by Christian O'Connell.  It's unashamedly sexist, but funny as all-get-out.  After the dark subject matter of the last books I read, it's time for something considerably more light-hearted!

[/QUOTE]

I listen to Absolute Radio, so I hear him most mornings. To be honest, I think of him as an arse who has his heart in the right place most of the time. A lot of it is for effect, but the 'blokey' stuff annoys me.