Welcome to unstablemolecules.com, the discussion home for mightyavengers.net, uncanon.com and uncannyxmen.net!

what are you reading?

Head over to the bookshelf and take your pick. We want to hear your thoughts on any past, present or future novels.
Anna Raven

Re: what are you reading?

Post by Anna Raven » 09 Oct 2020, 05:10

I'm reading Dune for the first time. It's about what I expected...
X-Men Generations: Rogue | X-23 | Colossus | Juggernaut | Bruiser | Blink | Scout
X-Men - Krakoa: Avalanche | Black Tom | Lila Cheney | Shadowcat | Outlaw | Blob | Puck II | Gin Genie | Dr. Nemesis | Banshee | Wolverine | Beast

tokenBG1009

Post by tokenBG1009 » 09 Oct 2020, 18:09

das_boot wrote:
02 Oct 2020, 19:58
So, I’m about half way through Battle Ground (the second Dresden Files book this year) and just... no spoilers but
Spoiler: show
I’ve had to walk away for a second because I absolutely wasn’t ready.
I reached that moment.

...fuck.
"Sometimes I do feel like I'm a failure. Like there's no hope for me. But even so, I'm not gonna give up. Ever!" -Izuku Midoriya

Cable

Post by Cable » 09 Oct 2020, 19:10

Anna Raven wrote:
09 Oct 2020, 05:10
I'm reading Dune for the first time. It's about what I expected...
You expected it to be the greatest novel ever written?

Well put together all of his original Dune novels into one work and I would give it that.
Best Comics of Week 43

Best X-Comic: Juggernaut #2 by Fabian Nicieza (2) and Ron Garney (2)
Best Non-X Comic: Guardians of the Galaxy # 7 by Al Ewing (10) and Marcio Takara (2)

In parentheses number of times creator has had best comic of week this year

Anna Raven

Post by Anna Raven » 09 Oct 2020, 21:53

No I expected to be let down because everyone says that about it and I had a feeling I would not agree just based on the movie.

No I mean I get why it was revolutionary at the time, and I can see how it inspired a lot of the sci-fi people know and love today. But to me it's just kind of a dry, bleak, bland, dystopian future with no charm or mystery or sense of wonder. Even Blade Runner which is bleak and dark has this mysterious, seductive quality that makes it intriguing. Dune, to me, is literally like the planet it is set on: nothing but dry, sandy, bleakness for hundreds of miles. I'm going to give it a full shake and read further, but it's not my cup of tea, sorry.

Having said that I get the hype, I really do. Like I said it's just not my style.
X-Men Generations: Rogue | X-23 | Colossus | Juggernaut | Bruiser | Blink | Scout
X-Men - Krakoa: Avalanche | Black Tom | Lila Cheney | Shadowcat | Outlaw | Blob | Puck II | Gin Genie | Dr. Nemesis | Banshee | Wolverine | Beast

das_boot

Post by das_boot » 09 Oct 2020, 23:24

tokenBG1009 wrote:
09 Oct 2020, 18:09
das_boot wrote:
So, I’m about half way through Battle Ground (the second Dresden Files book this year) and just... no spoilers but
I reached that moment.

...fuck.
Token, the book flew from my hands and hit a wall. I literally cannot remember the last time that an event in a novel hit me so hard. I’m actually really so... almost betrayed, honestly.
X-Centric podcast: coming soon!

tokenBG1009

Post by tokenBG1009 » 10 Oct 2020, 01:26

das_boot wrote:
09 Oct 2020, 23:24
tokenBG1009 wrote:
09 Oct 2020, 18:09
das_boot wrote:
I reached that moment.

...fuck.
Token, the book flew from my hands and hit a wall. I literally cannot remember the last time that an event in a novel hit me so hard. I’m actually really so... almost betrayed, honestly.
I've avoided spoilers for the book, but I knew immediately when it was coming. I've been listening to the audiobook and I'd just gotten home when the moment happened. I sat in my car and just let the next chapter play before finally heading inside.
I can't tell if it was intentional or not, but after the moment James Marster's voice has a bit of a quiver in it when he states the next chapter. It really hammered the moment home.
"Sometimes I do feel like I'm a failure. Like there's no hope for me. But even so, I'm not gonna give up. Ever!" -Izuku Midoriya

tokenBG1009

Post by tokenBG1009 » 16 Oct 2020, 19:41

Finished and it ended about how I expected. When read together the two books feel much better and complete.

das_boot

Post by das_boot » Yesterday, 20:15

tokenBG1009 wrote:
16 Oct 2020, 19:41
Finished and it ended about how I expected. When read together the two books feel much better and complete.
I watched a YouTube interview with James Marsters and Jim Butcher, and Butcher stated that book 25 is the end of Dresden, but he wants to pick up a series featuring Goodman Grey. I am
INVESTED.
X-Centric podcast: coming soon!