Welcome to unstablemolecules.com, the discussion home for mightyavengers.net, uncanon.com and uncannyxmen.net!

what are you reading?

Head over to the bookshelf and take your pick. We want to hear your thoughts on any past, present or future novels.
Nu-D

Re: what are you reading?

Post by Nu-D » 08 Sep 2019, 02:58

I just read Double Star by Heinlein. It was a Hugo winner. Surprisingly, I had never read it before. My obsessive Heinlein phase, back in middle school, was mostly his more satirical later books. I never read a lot of his more “serious” work from his early years.
He/him/his

Cable

Post by Cable » 08 Sep 2019, 03:36

Does anyone know if Ursula Le Guin's Orsinia stuff is worth reading?
Best X-Comic last week: X-Force #1
Best non X-Comic last week: Miles Morales Spider-Man #12

EvilMonkeyPope

Post by EvilMonkeyPope » 02 Oct 2019, 00:55

Angelmaker by Nick Harkaway is exquisite cogpunk!

Spectral Knight

Post by Spectral Knight » 02 Oct 2019, 15:40

Just started the Long Earth series by Pratchett and Baxter. Fifteen quid for all five books in the series was a steal I thought.

Majestic

Post by Majestic » 22 Oct 2019, 17:09

Had a couple flights this past week, which gave me time to start and finish This is How You Lose the Time War, by Amal El-Mohtar and Max Gladstone. It's a romance told almost entirely through the letters of two opposed time-travelling agents from two mutually exclusive and—to us—largely alien futures. The sort of prose this deals in would normally be a little purple for me, but in the context of this story it serves to highlight the differences in perspectives not just between the protagonists, but between the societies that spawned them and our own as readers. There's more to unpack there than mere floridity—not that there's anything wrong with floridity if that's your jam—and said floridity enhances the sort of sci-fi worldbuilding that often feels like lifeless stalling in other, lesser stories.
BODYSHOP INDUSTRIES (X-Villain Draft) : Spiral, Cameron Hodge, Ahab, Pandemic, The Isolationist, Cylla Markham, Matsu'o Tsurayaba, Sugar Man, Nanny & Orphanmaker

das_boot

Post by das_boot » 25 Oct 2019, 15:12

Just starting “The Burning White” which is the final pet of the Lightbringer series by Brent Weeks.

It’s a really interesting take on magic (people produce a substance called Luxin based on various colours and light they can manipulate, how it shapes their personalities etc) and then politics and raising old gods and just READ THIS. The first one is slow to start, but it’s a great series
ASPIRING WRITERS!

Check out the “Writing Challenges” thread in the Uncanon Mess Hall!

tokenBG1009

Post by tokenBG1009 » 26 Oct 2019, 06:32

das_boot wrote:
25 Oct 2019, 15:12
Just starting “The Burning White” which is the final pet of the Lightbringer series by Brent Weeks.

It’s a really interesting take on magic (people produce a substance called Luxin based on various colours and light they can manipulate, how it shapes their personalities etc) and then politics and raising old gods and just READ THIS. The first one is slow to start, but it’s a great series
I'm about 2.5 books behind at this point so I get the joy of blazing through the last half of the series.

I enjoyed the Night Angel trilogy more, but the Black Prism series is so damn good.
"Sometimes I do feel like I'm a failure. Like there's no hope for me. But even so, I'm not gonna give up. Ever!" -Izuku Midoriya

MartijnB

Post by MartijnB » 28 Oct 2019, 13:57

Majestic wrote:
22 Oct 2019, 17:09
Had a couple flights this past week, which gave me time to start and finish This is How You Lose the Time War, by Amal El-Mohtar and Max Gladstone. It's a romance told almost entirely through the letters of two opposed time-travelling agents from two mutually exclusive and—to us—largely alien futures. The sort of prose this deals in would normally be a little purple for me, but in the context of this story it serves to highlight the differences in perspectives not just between the protagonists, but between the societies that spawned them and our own as readers. There's more to unpack there than mere floridity—not that there's anything wrong with floridity if that's your jam—and said floridity enhances the sort of sci-fi worldbuilding that often feels like lifeless stalling in other, lesser stories.
... ok this sounds great, thanks for bringing it to my attention, I am so gonna look for it