Welcome to unstablemolecules.com, the discussion home for mightyavengers.net, uncanon.com and uncannyxmen.net!

what are you reading?

Head over to the bookshelf and take your pick. We want to hear your thoughts on any past, present or future novels.
das_boot

Re: what are you reading?

Post by das_boot » 20 Mar 2019, 02:07

I’m about to start the Wheel of Time series for the first time, after being mocked for having never read it. Somewhat excited but also kind of ready to be underwhelmed due to the hype...
ASPIRING WRITERS!

Check out the “Writing Challenges” thread in the Uncanon Mess Hall!

EphemeristX

Post by EphemeristX » 20 Mar 2019, 17:02

Ha, I've only read one of the books. And it was right in the middle. 13 year old me was so confused.
http://dancehall-daze.tumblr.com

"Take your baby by the ears
And play upon her darkest fears"

Magik84

Post by Magik84 » 21 Mar 2019, 20:48

Anyone read Becky Chambers Wayfarers series. I just finished "Record of a Spaceborn Few" love the world she's built.
X-Editorial Draft: Prodigy, Vange Whedon, lil' Iceman, Wallflower, Cecelia Reyes, Mimic, U-Go Girl, Doc Samson, Nature Girl

Gibbering Fool

Post by Gibbering Fool » 22 Mar 2019, 08:12

I've just finished The Three Secret cities by Matthew Reilly. Does Matthew Reilly rate a mention in other countries? He's pretty popular here in Australia (his home country). I liken his books to the literary equivalent of a Streven Segal film though that undersells them a bit. They're full of ridiculous over the top action, and he always puts alot of research into his books, particularly the Jack West Jnr books, which are of ancient history

urrutiap

Post by urrutiap » 20 Apr 2019, 15:11

Books im reading currently

To Kill a Mockingbird
Star Wars Coruscant Nights IV Last Jedi
2010 edition of Uncle John Bathroom Reader

Gibbering Fool

Post by Gibbering Fool » 21 Apr 2019, 11:28

I've just finished Skyward by Brandon Sanderson. I enjoyed it. It was a straightforward sci-fi story with a good focus on the characters. A much "smaller" story in terms of scope than some of the other Sanderson stories I've read, so it was a nice change.

manuel_mc89

Post by manuel_mc89 » 21 Apr 2019, 21:46

Right now im reading The Handmaid's Tale, and i just got me Carry On by Rainbow Rowell, im midway through Handmaids Tale.
Legion: I will circle around you until the stars die an the world has forgotten what makes us different, and I will shatter any future that dares to divide us.

RingOtaku

Post by RingOtaku » 22 Apr 2019, 02:34

just finished the novelization of the Tim Burton Batman movie.
D20 Roulette: A Podcast of Geeks and Raging. https://rouletteproductions.com

Anna Raven

Post by Anna Raven » 22 Apr 2019, 03:48

RingOtaku wrote:
22 Apr 2019, 02:34
just finished the novelization of the Tim Burton Batman movie.
Ring, I read that back in 1989. I wonder if we are the only two people to have ever read it, and it took 30 years in between for someone to do it. Until I hear otherwise I am going to believe that it's true.
Marvel vs DC Draft: Wonder Woman|Thor|Ares - DC|Shazam!|Hercules|Loki|Dream of the Endless|Valkyrie|Ares - Marvel
Thunderbolts Draft: Punisher|Black Cat|Moon Knight(as Kraven the Hunter)|Diamondback|Taskmaster|Domino|Nuke|Trickshot |Jolt|Troll

Magnus

Post by Magnus » 13 May 2019, 00:26

Just finished Sins of Empire, which is book 2 of the second trilogy of Brian McClellan's Powder Mage universe. Really enjoyed it a lot, the setting feels pretty novel for fantasy (being set in the Napoleonic era rather than the typical medieval setting) and the plot moves along pretty well and clear without getting bogged down at all.

Next will either be another Michael Sullivan book (Disappearance of Winter's Daughter) or book 4 of Red Rising.

Also I should probably have come back and updated my opinion on the last book I posted about (Oathbringer), it got a lot better once I remembered what was going on and the plot started moving. Really great ending too.

RingOtaku

Post by RingOtaku » 13 May 2019, 02:35

Re-Reading the Exorcist as I just found a copy of the sequel novel Legion which will be next on the list.
D20 Roulette: A Podcast of Geeks and Raging. https://rouletteproductions.com

hotknives

Post by hotknives » 21 May 2019, 08:54

Gibbering Fool wrote:
22 Mar 2019, 08:12
I've just finished The Three Secret cities by Matthew Reilly. Does Matthew Reilly rate a mention in other countries? He's pretty popular here in Australia (his home country). I liken his books to the literary equivalent of a Streven Segal film though that undersells them a bit. They're full of ridiculous over the top action, and he always puts alot of research into his books, particularly the Jack West Jnr books, which are of ancient history
He does pretty well over here too Gibbering. Not a house hold name, but back when I used to work in a bookshop his works sold very well.
"These are two hundred dollar Italian cashmere Kiki de Montparnasse stockings, Kurt. I'll only kneel in them if absolutely necessary."

manuel_mc89

Post by manuel_mc89 » 21 May 2019, 17:58

Guys, i never knew i needes something like Carry On in my life, but i was LIVING with that book. Yes there are cliches, i mean, its a gay vampire wizard love story BUT I LOVED IT, I had never read anything like that (gay fantasy).
Legion: I will circle around you until the stars die an the world has forgotten what makes us different, and I will shatter any future that dares to divide us.

Spectral Knight

Post by Spectral Knight » 18 Jul 2019, 12:38

Goodnight Jim Bob : On the Road with "Carter the Unstoppable Sex Machine"

Only a few 'chapters' in, but this autobiography has had me rolling up as much as the former Carter USM's frontman's lyrics have in the past. I've wanted this book for years but there's been print run issues (no-one else wanted a copy, it seems...), but it's a brilliant story of one of the great (but somehow now ignored despite something like 10 Top 40 hits, and a number one album) British rock bands.

das_boot

Post by das_boot » 20 Jul 2019, 18:56

The Children of Time by Adrian Tchaikovsky. I was actually put onto this book by Polaris (the poster) and I’m really enjoying it so far. For fans of Mass Effect, this is a MUST read.
ASPIRING WRITERS!

Wings

Post by Wings » 20 Jul 2019, 21:23

das_boot wrote:
20 Jul 2019, 18:56
For fans of Mass Effect, this is a MUST read.
Putting it on my neglected too-read list.

@manuel: I've been meaning to pick up Carry On. The second book has just come out hasn't it?

Currently about to start Bedlam, the latest book in the Skulduggery Pleasant series by Derek Landy, who recently wrote the excellent Black Order miniseries for Marvel.
Sign-ups for Betrayal Game 76: Murder in Manhattan now open! Help Jessica Jones solve the unexplained murder of a group of super-villains! Link to the thread here:
viewtopic.php?f=24&p=169031#p169031

manuel_mc89

Post by manuel_mc89 » 22 Jul 2019, 19:02

Yes, apparently the sequel to Carry On is coming put in september 24, and im very excited, like i said i have never read a book like that in my life. To clarify, i havent really read any YA literature or fantasy books, besides Harry Potter, so it might not be as good as i felt, but it was very much the discovery of the charachters for me, the gay chosen one to save the world, its why i wanted (well, what i wanted was a gay Buffy The Vampire Slayer, but i will not disregard a gay Harry Potter)

Spectral Knight

Post by Spectral Knight » 03 Aug 2019, 09:41

Insomnia by Stephen King

Gibbering Fool

Post by Gibbering Fool » 05 Aug 2019, 07:49

I've been working my way through Brandon Sanderson's books the last 18 months. I'm currently reading the first book of the Way of Kings. There's a lot to take in, a lot of history, backstory abd minute world details to get my head around. I've never seen a book store that has each book made up my multiple parts. Book 1 is essentially two books. I've just finished Part 1, and started Part 2 yesterday.

I'm enjoying it so far, but it took me a while to get into it.

EvilMonkeyPope

Post by EvilMonkeyPope » 08 Aug 2019, 21:57

I finally read The Collector so I can join the Time Bureau book club.

Anna Raven

Post by Anna Raven » 27 Aug 2019, 00:34

I finished up re-reading The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier & Klay a month or so ago and tonight I began reading Patrick Rothfuss' The Name of the Wind. Kavalier & Klay is so good, it really needs to be made into a movie.
Marvel vs DC Draft: Wonder Woman|Thor|Ares - DC|Shazam!|Hercules|Loki|Dream of the Endless|Valkyrie|Ares - Marvel
Thunderbolts Draft: Punisher|Black Cat|Moon Knight(as Kraven the Hunter)|Diamondback|Taskmaster|Domino|Nuke|Trickshot |Jolt|Troll

Cable

Post by Cable » 30 Aug 2019, 21:49

Anna Raven wrote:
27 Aug 2019, 00:34
I finished up re-reading The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier & Klay a month or so ago and tonight I began reading Patrick Rothfuss' The Name of the Wind. Kavalier & Klay is so good, it really needs to be made into a movie.
Name of the Wind is so good but he has become the new George Martin. Been waiting over 8 years for the final book.
Best X-Comic last week: Powers of X #6
Best non X-Comic last week: Amazing Spider-Man #31

Anna Raven

Post by Anna Raven » 31 Aug 2019, 01:32

Cable wrote:
30 Aug 2019, 21:49
Anna Raven wrote:
Name of the Wind is so good but he has become the new George Martin. Been waiting over 8 years for the final book.
Oh dear, well at least I'm a slow reader.

tokenBG1009

Post by tokenBG1009 » 31 Aug 2019, 05:13

Cable wrote:
30 Aug 2019, 21:49
Anna Raven wrote:
I keep meaning to read Name of the Wind, but because of how long it's taking to get the final book out I've just pushed it off.

Started reading Valor's Choice by Tanya Huff. Slow going because I pretty much only read on weekends when lying in bed with the girlfriend.
"Sometimes I do feel like I'm a failure. Like there's no hope for me. But even so, I'm not gonna give up. Ever!" -Izuku Midoriya

das_boot

Post by das_boot » 07 Sep 2019, 19:31

I’ve just started Darkdawn, the last book in the Nevernight trilogy by Jay Kristoff. If you like Terry Pratchett’s humour/footnotes, bad language, assassins and creepy magic, this is for you. 100%.
ASPIRING WRITERS!