Welcome to unstablemolecules.com, the discussion home for mightyavengers.net, uncanon.com and uncannyxmen.net!

what are you reading?

Head over to the bookshelf and take your pick. We want to hear your thoughts on any past, present or future novels.
User avatar
RingOtaku
Posts: 1376
Joined: 17 Apr 2007, 17:12
Location: The Library Of Stories Never Written

Re: what are you reading?

Post by RingOtaku » 12 Jun 2018, 02:44

True. I like Dirk Gently as a character but Teatime was not the best book to spotlight his ways.
D20 Roulette: A Podcast of Geeks and Raging. https://rouletteproductions.com

urrutiap
Posts: 3
Joined: 22 Apr 2016, 03:19

Re: what are you reading?

Post by urrutiap » 15 Jun 2018, 16:46

I finished reading Star Wars Darth Maul Lockdown. Pretty good book. Better than Shadow Hunter.

User avatar
EvilMonkeyPope
Posts: 5212
Joined: 07 Apr 2007, 22:07
Contact:

Re: what are you reading?

Post by EvilMonkeyPope » 02 Jul 2018, 05:03

Since I started reading Needful Things in the cellar today, the cat has jumped on my lap for pets five times! I tried to tell her it wasn't Kneadful Things.

User avatar
Gibbering Fool
Posts: 3424
Joined: 09 Apr 2007, 03:10

Re: what are you reading?

Post by Gibbering Fool » 05 Jul 2018, 09:12

I'm reading the Well of Ascension by Brandon Sanderson. It's the second book in the Mistborn series. My friend's been trying to get me to read them for ages. I havevto admit it's sucked me in. As soon as I finished the first book I went straight to the next. Allomancy (drawing difference powers from various metals) is just such an interesting concept

User avatar
EvilMonkeyPope
Posts: 5212
Joined: 07 Apr 2007, 22:07
Contact:

Re: what are you reading?

Post by EvilMonkeyPope » 19 Jul 2018, 20:59

I finished the rest of the Bond books, Nimona, & Needful Things! https://mattthecatania.wordpress.com/20 ... n-felines/

User avatar
RingOtaku
Posts: 1376
Joined: 17 Apr 2007, 17:12
Location: The Library Of Stories Never Written

Re: what are you reading?

Post by RingOtaku » 20 Jul 2018, 03:31

dusted off Jurassic Park.
D20 Roulette: A Podcast of Geeks and Raging. https://rouletteproductions.com

User avatar
Spectral Knight
Posts: 1000
Joined: 14 Apr 2007, 21:00

Re: what are you reading?

Post by Spectral Knight » 25 Jul 2018, 08:22

Sleeping Giants by Sylvain Neuvel
X-Editorial:
X-Nation: Psylocke, Siryn, Fantomex, Meggan, Toad, Motormouth, Micromax, Pete Wisdom
Uncanny X-Force: Psylocke, Siryn, Fantomex, Warpath, Maverick, Vindicator, Caliban, Omega Red, Pete Wisdom

User avatar
RingOtaku
Posts: 1376
Joined: 17 Apr 2007, 17:12
Location: The Library Of Stories Never Written

Re: what are you reading?

Post by RingOtaku » 07 Aug 2018, 15:42

Finished Lost World and about to break out Dracula.
D20 Roulette: A Podcast of Geeks and Raging. https://rouletteproductions.com

User avatar
tokenBG1009
Posts: 4672
Joined: 19 Jun 2007, 20:34

Re: what are you reading?

Post by tokenBG1009 » 08 Aug 2018, 04:41

RingOtaku wrote:
07 Aug 2018, 15:42
Finished Lost World and about to break out Dracula.
Dracula was a book I enjoyed so much more than I thought I would.
A League of Their Own!

I wish I could write fanfiction...

User avatar
RingOtaku
Posts: 1376
Joined: 17 Apr 2007, 17:12
Location: The Library Of Stories Never Written

Re: what are you reading?

Post by RingOtaku » 08 Aug 2018, 14:05

There are a few chapters that are kind of a dry read but on the whole it really is a classic. So much more interesting than any vampire story made in decades.
D20 Roulette: A Podcast of Geeks and Raging. https://rouletteproductions.com

User avatar
Gibbering Fool
Posts: 3424
Joined: 09 Apr 2007, 03:10

Re: what are you reading?

Post by Gibbering Fool » 12 Aug 2018, 04:49

I'm hooked on the Mistborn books by Brandon Sanderson at the moment. My friend recommended them in April and Ive nearly finished the second book in the first trilogy

sambadaemon
Posts: 373
Joined: 08 Apr 2011, 10:30

Re: what are you reading?

Post by sambadaemon » 11 Sep 2018, 21:26

Gibbering Fool wrote:
12 Aug 2018, 04:49
I'm hooked on the Mistborn books by Brandon Sanderson at the moment. My friend recommended them in April and Ive nearly finished the second book in the first trilogy
I love all of Sanderson's stuff. All of the magic systems from the different series are so well thought out. And I think it's a great idea to have the different series both stand-alone and intertwined at the same time. Allows for people who just want quick reads to enjoy the same things as people who want to dive way into it (like I did).

User avatar
Gibbering Fool
Posts: 3424
Joined: 09 Apr 2007, 03:10

Re: what are you reading?

Post by Gibbering Fool » 12 Sep 2018, 06:07

sambadaemon wrote:
11 Sep 2018, 21:26
Gibbering Fool wrote:
12 Aug 2018, 04:49
I'm hooked on the Mistborn books by Brandon Sanderson at the moment. My friend recommended them in April and Ive nearly finished the second book in the first trilogy
I love all of Sanderson's stuff. All of the magic systems from the different series are so well thought out. And I think it's a great idea to have the different series both stand-alone and intertwined at the same time. Allows for people who just want quick reads to enjoy the same things as people who want to dive way into it (like I did).
Early days for me but I have heard how all books are subtly linked. I'm excited to explore that further. The three metal magics are really well thought out and different

sambadaemon
Posts: 373
Joined: 08 Apr 2011, 10:30

Re: what are you reading?

Post by sambadaemon » 12 Sep 2018, 13:10

Gibbering Fool wrote:
12 Sep 2018, 06:07
sambadaemon wrote:
11 Sep 2018, 21:26
Gibbering Fool wrote:
12 Aug 2018, 04:49
I'm hooked on the Mistborn books by Brandon Sanderson at the moment. My friend recommended them in April and Ive nearly finished the second book in the first trilogy
I love all of Sanderson's stuff. All of the magic systems from the different series are so well thought out. And I think it's a great idea to have the different series both stand-alone and intertwined at the same time. Allows for people who just want quick reads to enjoy the same things as people who want to dive way into it (like I did).
Early days for me but I have heard how all books are subtly linked. I'm excited to explore that further. The three metal magics are really well thought out and different
Just wait until you get to the second trilogy and he throws in a new wrinkle to how the 3 magics interact.

User avatar
Magnus
Posts: 1218
Joined: 14 Nov 2013, 00:54

Re: what are you reading?

Post by Magnus » 07 Oct 2018, 23:47

I've been reading the third book (Oathbringer) and... to be honest it's sat on my nightstand closed for a little while now. I like fantasy epics but his book just feel a bit overstuffed to me, and the plot moving too slowly because of it, to give me that feeling I often get where I can't wait to read the next chapter. The idea that it's linked with his other stuff like Mistborn and such just makes me groan.

User avatar
Gibbering Fool
Posts: 3424
Joined: 09 Apr 2007, 03:10

Re: what are you reading?

Post by Gibbering Fool » 09 Oct 2018, 11:48

I've just finished Alloy of Law. I really enjoyed how Sanderson's changed things up and jumped from a medieval setting to a wild west setting. I also liked that it was a smaller story. After three epics books about wars and god emperors its nice to read a smaller story about a lawman trying to stop some criminals.

That's all the Mistborn books I have currently but I also got Sanderdon's Warbreaker and the first Stormlight Archive book for my birthday to read

User avatar
grief
Posts: 2018
Joined: 08 Apr 2007, 06:19
Location: Florida
Contact:

Re: what are you reading?

Post by grief » 10 Oct 2018, 22:54

Stormlight Archives is dope.
Official member of the Mighty Avengers fan club. "You want Avengers, lady? Take a good look. We're the Avengers."

See what happens after AoA Apocalypse dies in the Age After. http://uncanon.com/fiction/ageafter/

User avatar
Spectral Knight
Posts: 1000
Joined: 14 Apr 2007, 21:00

Re: what are you reading?

Post by Spectral Knight » 08 Nov 2018, 12:37

Currently reading The First Fifteen Lives of Harry August. It's a very interesting premise 150 pages in, but I think I'm a bit confused on the science at this point in the novel. Hope it's ironed out as there's lots of positives in what I've read so far.
X-Editorial:
X-Nation: Psylocke, Siryn, Fantomex, Meggan, Toad, Motormouth, Micromax, Pete Wisdom
Uncanny X-Force: Psylocke, Siryn, Fantomex, Warpath, Maverick, Vindicator, Caliban, Omega Red, Pete Wisdom

User avatar
EvilMonkeyPope
Posts: 5212
Joined: 07 Apr 2007, 22:07
Contact:

Re: what are you reading?

Post by EvilMonkeyPope » 09 Dec 2018, 00:24

Babayaga by Toby Barlow was keen.

User avatar
Gibbering Fool
Posts: 3424
Joined: 09 Apr 2007, 03:10

Re: what are you reading?

Post by Gibbering Fool » 14 Dec 2018, 11:42

I finished ready Warbreaker by Brandon Sanderson. I liked it. Its less "epic" than the Mistborn series but the magic concept for that world is genius.

Now I'm reading Terry Brooks's The First King of Shanarra. The prequel to his original Shanarra books. I've been watching the show (which is...not great) and its renewed interest in the Shanarra series. Ive only ever read the Sword and Elfstones of Shanarra books. Sword was a blatant LOTR rip off but I quite liked Elfstones

User avatar
Anna Raven
Posts: 3890
Joined: 28 Jun 2007, 22:53

Re: what are you reading?

Post by Anna Raven » 14 Dec 2018, 14:41

I kind of liked the tv series. I'll concede maybe it's just im a sucker for pulp fantasy, and that the show quality wasn't really up to snuff. I read Sword and Elfstones a looooong time ago and really liked them as well. Im not sure why I never went back to read more of the books honestly.
Editorial Draft Results: Rogue | Magneto | Mystique | Sabretooth | Madelyn Prior | Lady Deathstrike | Blink | Peggy Carter | Vanisher | Dead Girl | Jimmy Hudson | Wither | Guardian

User avatar
Gibbering Fool
Posts: 3424
Joined: 09 Apr 2007, 03:10

Re: what are you reading?

Post by Gibbering Fool » Yesterday, 10:58

I didn't hate the tv series but the writing seemed to focus a bit too much of love triangles and melodrama. However the first time I watched the show and saw the ruined post apocalyptic architecture I was confused and looked it up. Learning that as the series went on Terry Brooks introduced the concept that the Shanarra books are set in a post apocalyptic Earth made me want to revisit them.

Post Reply