Welcome to unstablemolecules.com!

"Song of Ice and Fire" Discussions

Head over to the bookshelf and take your pick. We want to hear your thoughts on any past, present or future novels.
Zefram

Re: "Song of Ice and Fire" Discussions

Post by Zefram » 09 Apr 2014, 22:44

WorldWideWade wrote:However, from his answer we were able to get a bit of an idea as to his schedule over the next few years. Anyone who has any hope of him even starting to write the books in the next couple years best squash it. While nothing is definitive it sounds like he is very backed up in projects and appearances for up until almost 2017! He said he won't get the kind of time he really wants to work on his books until his project load lightens. Again nothing is definitive but it looks like we are definitely in for the long haul. Here's to hoping the show can make the book content hold out for at least another 4 years.
Thats the ongoing problem, especially since he continues to add more and more projects even though he knows that TV Show putting pressure on him to finish.
Like how his 1 Egg and Dunk story for the "She-Wolves of the North" turned into 2+ historic summaries from Targ history each being a Novella size and that Egg and Dunk story still probably not finished and on his to-do list BEFORE Winds of Winter. And don't think it took him couple of days to write each one, with his speed it probably took him 1 month on average for each, so its 2month+ of pure Winds of Winter writing time gone for dry-bone summaries that didn't need to happen. That whole "History of Westeros" thats coming out (which I am glad for as it would make waiting easier) probably took good half -year from his writing time too. And THATS something that should have been done AFTER the LAST book was done! And each chapter that he releases, it was written ages ago for the Dance of Dragons in 2011 which he decided to move to next book, the last Arya chapter released was written like 6yrs ago! He hasn't release any new chapter that he wrote AFTER Dance of Dragons was released. What does it say to you?

GRRM just doesn't know how to say No to unrelated projects and appearances. However small the convention is, if he is invited he will say Yes, and each one will take out 1-2 weeks of his time - couple of days for travel and appearance and the rest for him to relax because he gets so tired after Plane travel.

tokenBG1009

Post by tokenBG1009 » 31 Jan 2015, 11:25

This continues to validate me not bothering with the books after the first. It's one thing to read a book series and have to wait a year or two for the next. It's another thing to have no earthly idea when the book will ever come out.
When I spy my third eye
it’s extremely high voltage
That’s why I need ruby quartz glasses
cause when I glance at the chest
Then I might blast the masses…
- Linkin Park feat. Pharoah Monche- “High Voltage (Remix)”

XtremeOne1

Post by XtremeOne1 » 31 Jan 2015, 22:51

Honestly, if the quality was worth the wait, I wouldn't mind. But book 4 and book 5 just don't really measure up to book 1-3. There is so much that goes on that could just be cut. In fact, book 4 and 5 could be combined(they were originally supposed to be only one book) and have all the fat and filler cut from it, and it would probably be less pages than book 3!

So I'm never a fan of the excuse, "He's writing because it's so long and complex..." because it hasn't been worth it.

medium13

Post by medium13 » 02 Feb 2015, 02:20

I was disappointed to read that news the other day as well. I was hoping with the number of preview chapters that have been released, we'd get a book this year. I wish it were so. I wouldn't go as far to stop reading the series or even classify portions as filler. We don't really know what they will add to the story at this point and after having re-read this series, I think that he has a much tighter grasp on this story then we realized. I'm optimistic.

EvilMonkeyPope

Post by EvilMonkeyPope » 05 Feb 2015, 12:27

If Daenerys doesn't cross the Narrow Sea in the next book I'll send Martin to the Seven Hells myself.

Douglas Mangum

Post by Douglas Mangum » 05 Feb 2015, 16:23

I think we should prepare ourselves to the possibility that she will not. The most *obvious* thing is that the three main stories (Iron Throne, White Walkers & Daenerys) will all come together and resolve each other. At the end of the 1st season (before I read the books), I thought it was obvious that Daenerys would bring her dragons to Westeros and join Jon Snow against the White Walkers.

Every other writer picking up the story after the first book/season would do the same. That's why I think it won't happen.

I have come to believe that each story will resolve on its own and not interact more than superficially. I think Bran will replace the Three-Eyed Raven and resolve the White Walker story. I think Daenerys will stay in Essos and found "New Valyria." Not sure about the Iron Throne, but if I absolutely had to guess... it's Littlefinger, with Tyrion somehow becoming lord of Casterly Rock and/or being his Hand.

Regarding the publication of the final two books, I'm also hoping that Martin is much, much farther along than we suspect and that he's going to finish writing book 7 before book 6 is published. As it is, the writers of the TV series have to know right about NOW, what's in book 6. The 6th season will begin filming in the summer and they are almost certainly writing it right now. If the gods are good, the 6th book will be released the same day as season 6 begins with book 7 replicating this the following year.

XtremeOne1

Post by XtremeOne1 » 06 Feb 2015, 02:14

Some of those ideas are terrible and one is just gross...

medium13

Post by medium13 » 06 Feb 2015, 17:16

So, first you have your cousins, and then you have your first cousins, and then your second cousins. That's not right is it?

acolyte47

Post by acolyte47 » 05 May 2015, 02:33

After a friend mentioned it to me re-reading the books, A Dance With Dragons is massive turning point in regards to the plot if you read it looking for a specific theory.
Spoiler: show
Dany already is or is in the process of going insane. Her arc is the tragic story of the villain.
The idea really gains some traction when you consider the peculiarities of her arc versus the rest and the established writing tricks of using POV.
Dany has several characteristics that set her apart from the other POV characters.

Her actions until the late stages of the time in Meereen are entirely described by her and thus cannot truly be trusted as Cersei's POV has shown repeatedly. Dany undoubtedly has noble intentions but more often than not has caused massive destruction and death. Her goal to end slavery was righteous but it has yet to actually benefit any of the cities she has liberated. Her brother had similar noble intentions and even ADWD lends credence to the theory that her father King Aery's was not in fact crazy when fearing a usurpation, evidence suggests the Starks/Arryns/Tully/Baratheons were in fact plotting, he just handled it terribly.

Characters have stated repeatedly House Targaeyan has a long history of madness and by their own admission it was two sides of the same coin.
Her brother was clearly established as insane, his ideas merely failed contrasted to Dany whose ideas have worked out in the end. Dany has at different times believed her unborn son would conquer the world (in a vision), placed her husbands life in the hands of a woman who hated him and then decided to step into a funeral pyre of her dead husband/priceless dragon eggs despite the fact anyone else would have died.

ADWD has her outright hallucinating and embracing her families legacy of conquering through Fire and Blood. Granted the hallucination may be the result of dehydration and exhaustion.

Dany (in her POV) has thought of herself as a god or at the very least above normal people several times.

With the exception of Bravoos who make it a point to stay neutral and Pentos who is in line with Aegon, we know the free cities are actively massing to stop the Mother of Dragons. Whatever Dany belives, the people of Essos largely do not agree with her actions.

Finally it just seems like a Martin thing to do.

Zefram

Post by Zefram » 05 May 2015, 19:58

acolyte47 wrote:After a friend mentioned it to me re-reading the books, A Dance With Dragons is massive turning point in regards to the plot if you read it looking for a specific theory.
Dany already is or is in the process of going insane. Her arc is the tragic story of the villain.
The idea really gains some traction when you consider the peculiarities of her arc versus the rest and the established writing tricks of using POV.
Dany has several characteristics that set her apart from the other POV characters.

Her actions until the late stages of the time in Meereen are entirely described by her and thus cannot truly be trusted as Cersei's POV has shown repeatedly. Dany undoubtedly has noble intentions but more often than not has caused massive destruction and death. Her goal to end slavery was righteous but it has yet to actually benefit any of the cities she has liberated. Her brother had similar noble intentions and even ADWD lends credence to the theory that her father King Aery's was not in fact crazy when fearing a usurpation, evidence suggests the Starks/Arryns/Tully/Baratheons were in fact plotting, he just handled it terribly.

Characters have stated repeatedly House Targaeyan has a long history of madness and by their own admission it was two sides of the same coin.
Her brother was clearly established as insane, his ideas merely failed contrasted to Dany whose ideas have worked out in the end. Dany has at different times believed her unborn son would conquer the world (in a vision), placed her husbands life in the hands of a woman who hated him and then decided to step into a funeral pyre of her dead husband/priceless dragon eggs despite the fact anyone else would have died.

ADWD has her outright hallucinating and embracing her families legacy of conquering through Fire and Blood. Granted the hallucination may be the result of dehydration and exhaustion.

Dany (in her POV) has thought of herself as a god or at the very least above normal people several times.

With the exception of Bravoos who make it a point to stay neutral and Pentos who is in line with Aegon, we know the free cities are actively massing to stop the Mother of Dragons. Whatever Dany belives, the people of Essos largely do not agree with her actions.

Finally it just seems like a Martin thing to do.
I can't say her hallucination (due entirely to her having some kind of stomach flu/plague-type illness after drinking bad water and bout of starving) is indication of her going insane/paranoid, but she will definitely turn a corner here. She will change from all mysa and freedom lover to dragon-mother rage. And frankly, unless she does that she has no chance to getting out of Maureen and conquering Westeros.
The funny thing is, it looks like it would be too later for her, most of her supporters and possible allies will have turned against her. Both freed slaves - who feel betrayed by her, Martells who lost eldest son to her dragons and she will turn on Young Griff due to her (justified ) distrust of him and jealousy.

She will resdiscover herself as a Targ and Dragon Rider but looses all her potential/current allies and friends in that process.

Douglas Mangum

Post by Douglas Mangum » 06 May 2015, 00:55

I also doubt GRRM is going the insanity route. I think he is writing about how good people don't necessarily make good leaders. In an interesting interview, he noted that in Lord of the Rings, it's assumed that Aragorn is going to be a great king just because he's a good man. "What's his tax policy?" Martin asked. We don't know anything about how he would rule or if he's capable of doing so. He then went to say something to the effect that if a good man would automatically be a good leader, then Jimmy Carter would have been very successful, when he wasn't.

I believe, like Rhaegar, that Danny's coin landed on the side of sane. However, while she's definitely shrewd and has a good grasp on manipulating things, ultimately the situation is too large to control. She has upturned an entire economy based on slavery and replaced it with nothing. Slaver's Bay is like Las Vegas. It's a region built in a desert and people come there for one thing, gambling for Las Vegas & slavery for Slaver's Bay. There's nothing there otherwise to support an economy needed for the three main cities' populations... and she's ended that. Hence her problems.

I still have this nagging suspicion that Danny will never make it to Westeros. It's what everyone expects and Martin never does what people expect. However, if she does, I think it's convenient that an Ironborn fleet is about to arrive at Meereen, bringing the means to transport an army back to Westeros.

EvilMonkeyPope

Post by EvilMonkeyPope » 06 May 2015, 03:59

They'll use the dragon horn to take her babies from her because locking them up is proof she's an unfit mother.

acolyte47

Post by acolyte47 » 13 Jun 2015, 23:59

So spoiler.......
Martin confirmed Shireen is to be burned in Winds of Winter, though obviously in a different fashion to the show.

EvilMonkeyPope

Post by EvilMonkeyPope » 15 Jun 2015, 01:00

Book spoiler or TV spoiler?

sixhoursoflucy

Post by sixhoursoflucy » 15 Jun 2015, 01:17

Future book spoiler, and a spoiler from last week's episode. I suspected as much.
"Why am I even listening to you to begin with? You're a virgin who can't drive."

medium13

Post by medium13 » 11 Jul 2016, 16:46

Does anyone else think that Ashara Dane had a baby with Brandon Stark?

EvilMonkeyPope

Post by EvilMonkeyPope » 19 Jul 2017, 01:55

Varys being a Merling is my new favorite theory.

medium13

Post by medium13 » 11 Sep 2017, 18:27

I stopped by the local B&N to see if I could find anymore Westeros short stories on Saturday but have not been able to find any. Are the only existing volumes Dunk & Egg? I just have one ( A knight of the 7 kingdoms) so far. I wasn't really interested in expanding to GRRM's other short stories. I also read that after ASOIAF is concluded, he's supposed to release a history of the Targaryens which I'm really interested in. I read a lot about their history on AWOIAF when I can.

Quick and Dead

Post by Quick and Dead » 14 Sep 2017, 06:48

There's always been a lot of talk about a film on Robert's Rebellion but does anyone else think a mini-series or short season would be better. I would hate to have things rushed. I want an entire episode just on the Tourney at Harrenhal. The actual timeline could be thrown out the window and we can even have Littlefinger on the show and see his duel with Brandon.

Or do you think I'm just desperate for more content and any kind of adaptation of pre-thrones stuff would ruin fans imaginations of those events?
Check out my comic reviews and articles! http://www.comicosity.com/author/anthonyblackwood/