Welcome to unstablemolecules.com, the discussion home for mightyavengers.net, uncanon.com and uncannyxmen.net!

Random Thoughts

Level 01: Get to know the other posters better. What do they do when they don't read comics?
Blackcyclops

Re: Random Thoughts

Post by Blackcyclops » 01 Jun 2019, 17:08

Not to sound snide, but thats' always easy to say when basic needs are met.

Like my grandma says "only people with money, say money can't buy happiness. When you worried about putting actual food in you mouth, money sure can buy that happiness".
I'm Team Remender, Waid, Hickman and Gillen

My X-Men Draft Picks:
Prof. X, Legion, Polaris, Quicksilver, Meggan, Deadpool, Pixie, and Danger

tokenBG1009

Post by tokenBG1009 » 02 Jun 2019, 01:33

Blackcyclops wrote:
01 Jun 2019, 17:08
Not to sound snide, but thats' always easy to say when basic needs are met.

Like my grandma says "only people with money, say money can't buy happiness. When you worried about putting actual food in you mouth, money sure can buy that happiness".
"Money doesn't buy happiness? Well it buys a jet ski. Have you ever seen a sad person on a jet ski?"
"Sometimes I do feel like I'm a failure. Like there's no hope for me. But even so, I'm not gonna give up. Ever!" -Izuku Midoriya

Milkshake08

Post by Milkshake08 » 02 Jun 2019, 18:39

I'm so lucky, because at my new job (that I LOVE), I get unlimited PTO plus all the paid holidays, and I'm salaried with potential for overtime and work from home once a week, so I kind of hit the jackpot right now. I mean, I'd love to be making more, but it's still double the salary I was making a year ago. It makes work so much better when you know you can take a day (or a vacation) whenever as long as you get your s*** done.

tokenBG1009

Post by tokenBG1009 » 02 Jun 2019, 20:45

Milkshake08 wrote:
02 Jun 2019, 18:39
I'm so lucky, because at my new job (that I LOVE), I get unlimited PTO plus all the paid holidays, and I'm salaried with potential for overtime and work from home once a week, so I kind of hit the jackpot right now. I mean, I'd love to be making more, but it's still double the salary I was making a year ago. It makes work so much better when you know you can take a day (or a vacation) whenever as long as you get your s*** done.
As a supervisor we were salaried, but it never mattered. The company only used salary to prevent supervisors from getting overtime. If we missed work we had to go unpaid. If we worked over 40, we didn't get OT. Which eventually led to every night shift supervisor to just taking off early Friday nights because there was no way to track our time and the head of the department didn't work on Saturdays.
"Sometimes I do feel like I'm a failure. Like there's no hope for me. But even so, I'm not gonna give up. Ever!" -Izuku Midoriya

Spectral Knight

Post by Spectral Knight » 03 Jun 2019, 05:21

Milkshake08 wrote:
02 Jun 2019, 18:39
What do you do for a living Milkshake, as I definitely want your job!

(I'm on a flat salary with no OT, but we can claw back half/full days if we're travelling for work at weekends)

das_boot

Post by das_boot » 03 Jun 2019, 13:28

RingOtaku wrote:
01 Jun 2019, 14:22
True. A lot of it is based on the occupation you have and the company you work for.
I work for a large pub company, so our contracts are fairly standard— 48 hour working weeks, including a higher rate of pay than most retail due to working public holidays and unsociable hours... I suppose the only thing that really irritates me is that in recent years they realised that the “do you feel you have a good work/life balance” and the follow up of “do you feel this is something that the company can help more with?” questions have been removed from annual appraisals...
Marvel Fantasy League Team: Laura Kinney, James Howlett, Domino, Luke Cage, Magik, Black Bolt, Sentry, Dazzler, Nick Fury, Dazzler, Hawkeye (not the Hawkguy)

tokenBG1009

Post by tokenBG1009 » 03 Jun 2019, 15:16

das_boot wrote:
03 Jun 2019, 13:28
RingOtaku wrote:
01 Jun 2019, 14:22
True. A lot of it is based on the occupation you have and the company you work for.
I work for a large pub company, so our contracts are fairly standard— 48 hour working weeks, including a higher rate of pay than most retail due to working public holidays and unsociable hours... I suppose the only thing that really irritates me is that in recent years they realised that the “do you feel you have a good work/life balance” and the follow up of “do you feel this is something that the company can help more with?” questions have been removed from annual appraisals...
Pub as in alcohol? Cause I'd love to work in the liquor industry. What do you do if you don't mind my asking?

das_boot

Post by das_boot » 04 Jun 2019, 11:41

I’m a deputy/manager of a pub :)

So, basically, I took a step back from running a pub at the start of the year and the place I work at now, I’m a deputy (mental health, nothing to do with the job). I mean... it differs from here to the US, but if you want to get in the trade, I know that over your side of the pond, the pay is dirt, but the tips are great.

Real talk? If you want to run a pub/bar, you have to have a bit of a head for... figures/finances, HR, Health and safety, legal stuff legal stuff LEGAL STUFF, social responsibilities, become a face of the local community, be able to switch from fun-time party dude to badass-takenoshit-savage in the snap of a finger, hide resting bitch face, fake apologies, genuine apologies, time management... like... my favourite thing when I tell people that I manage pubs is when they ask about what I REALLY want to do for a living...

Bitch. Come talk to me when you’re facilitating in the running of a business that generates £100k profit per annum after overheads, expenditures, repairs, rent in the building and STILL manages to win local awards for charity events and basically being responsible retailers 😘
Marvel Fantasy League Team: Laura Kinney, James Howlett, Domino, Luke Cage, Magik, Black Bolt, Sentry, Dazzler, Nick Fury, Dazzler, Hawkeye (not the Hawkguy)

Spectral Knight

Post by Spectral Knight » 04 Jun 2019, 15:51

Are you still working for the Scream chain, Das? Our local has ditched the Scream branding and it's gone all hipster with craft ales and not very sticky tables at all. Thankfully the staff in there are as utterly slow and useless as they've ever been, just so it's not too much of a shock to the system to the regulars

tokenBG1009

Post by tokenBG1009 » 05 Jun 2019, 10:18

#1stWorldProblems

I was looking into Sailor Moon because I started watching it today and I looked up Usagi Tsukino, her name, in Google. Now when I hit "U", which I normally do to get to these lovely forums, I hit Enter and it takes me to the Google search instead of here now.

EphemeristX

Post by EphemeristX » 05 Jun 2019, 15:34

You can delete it from your search history and fix the problem.
http://dancehall-daze.tumblr.com

"Take your baby by the ears
And play upon her darkest fears"

Anna Raven

Post by Anna Raven » 05 Jun 2019, 16:03

Just don't ever search for Umbrellas or Usagi Yojimbo or Uruguay after you fix it.
Thunderbolts Draft: Punisher|Black Cat|Moon Knight(as Kraven the Hunter)|Diamondback|Taskmaster|Domino|Nuke|Trickshot |Jolt|Troll
Avengers International Draft: France|Spectrum|Capt. Universe|Swordsman|Batroc|M|Finesse|Deadpool

RingOtaku

Post by RingOtaku » 05 Jun 2019, 17:32

or Undertale or Uncouth
D20 Roulette: A Podcast of Geeks and Raging. https://rouletteproductions.com

Spectral Knight

Post by Spectral Knight » 05 Jun 2019, 17:52

More #1stWorldProblems

Ending up on a holiday resort with OAP Brits moaning about other holiday resorts that have turned into "real Brits abroad places". Oh the irony.

Also, me and the missus were genuinely asked by one of the holiday resort crew if we were "with Saga". I mean, I know age has had its cruel way with its grasping claws across my brow, but even so. I'm still in my mid-thirties FFS.

RingOtaku

Post by RingOtaku » 05 Jun 2019, 18:06

I'd have to troll and be like "I'm with the Black Knights of The Holy Order Of Latter-Day Abductee Ninjas Orthodox. Tomorrow is our holy day so I am on a Sobriety Fast today"

UrbanExplorer

Post by UrbanExplorer » 05 Jun 2019, 18:14

Is everyone here having a girlfriend, boyfriend, husband, wife? The hell..

I propose a thread for singles searching for other singles.

das_boot

Post by das_boot » 05 Jun 2019, 19:17

Spectral Knight wrote:
04 Jun 2019, 15:51
Are you still working for the Scream chain, Das? Our local has ditched the Scream branding and it's gone all hipster with craft ales and not very sticky tables at all. Thankfully the staff in there are as utterly slow and useless as they've ever been, just so it's not too much of a shock to the system to the regulars

Which one is your regular— I can NEVER remember where you live in relation to me!

So, five years ago, we basically ditched Scream as a Bran because it just wasn’t working anymore. The new brand is called Common Room, very millennial-focused but actually, the amount of creativity we get to do our own thing is pretty cool.

Spectral Knight

Post by Spectral Knight » 05 Jun 2019, 19:38

UrbanExplorer wrote:
05 Jun 2019, 18:14

I don't think I could date another comics fan. I bicker enough with my missus without arguing the finer points of X-continuity.
das_boot wrote:
05 Jun 2019, 19:17
Spectral Knight wrote:

Which one is your regular— I can NEVER remember where you live in relation to me!

So, five years ago, we basically ditched Scream as a Bran because it just wasn’t working anymore. The new brand is called Common Room, very millennial-focused but actually, the amount of creativity we get to do our own thing is pretty cool.
I'm way South of you (you're Middlesbrough / Teeside way right?) I'm Harrow, so the Junction is my local. Eugh... "millennial"... I don't even know if that's my generation or not.

Blackcyclops

Post by Blackcyclops » 05 Jun 2019, 21:29

Spectral Knight wrote:
05 Jun 2019, 19:38
UrbanExplorer wrote:

I don't think I could date another comics fan. I bicker enough with my missus without arguing the finer points of X-continuity.
das_boot wrote:
Spectral Knight wrote:

I'm way South of you (you're Middlesbrough / Teeside way right?) I'm Harrow, so the Junction is my local. Eugh... "millennial"... I don't even know if that's my generation or not.
Imagine meeting a woman you think you love and finding out she thinks Barry Allen is the best Flash...
I'm Team Remender, Waid, Hickman and Gillen

My X-Men Draft Picks:
Prof. X, Legion, Polaris, Quicksilver, Meggan, Deadpool, Pixie, and Danger

tokenBG1009

Post by tokenBG1009 » 05 Jun 2019, 21:57

Blackcyclops wrote:
05 Jun 2019, 21:29
Spectral Knight wrote:
UrbanExplorer wrote:

das_boot wrote:

Imagine meeting a woman you think you love and finding out she thinks Barry Allen is the best Flash...
I get the joy of loving a woman who has been a Loki and Thanos fangirl since the first Avengers came out.

das_boot

Post by das_boot » 05 Jun 2019, 22:04

SK— Durham now :)

The Junction’s actually one of the few Scream pubs that Mitchell’s and Butler’s kept hold of... so they’re not part of the same company as us at all!

I’m also not sure if I could date a fellow comic fan. What if they have wrong opinions and like Kitty Pryde?

EphemeristX

Post by EphemeristX » 05 Jun 2019, 22:08

Spectral Knight wrote:
Are you between 39 and 19? Then you are.
http://dancehall-daze.tumblr.com

"Take your baby by the ears
And play upon her darkest fears"

Spectral Knight

Post by Spectral Knight » 06 Jun 2019, 01:17

Blackcyclops wrote:
05 Jun 2019, 21:29
I know very little about DC canon, so stupid question alert, but was the 90s Flash TV series Barry or Wally? That was the best Flash for me.
das_boot wrote:
05 Jun 2019, 22:04
SK— Durham now :)

The Junction’s actually one of the few Scream pubs that Mitchell’s and Butler’s kept hold of... so they’re not part of the same company as us at all!
Ahh, the wonderful (and oft confusing) world of breweries and their different banners.

Ooh you've moved down to Durham, then? Durham's pretty nice. Used to go there fairly regularly when I travelled up for work with a company whose UK headquarters were in Spennymoor (which is not so nice!). They still have that awesome Asian restaurant there? Something Budha? I remember they also had that dodge club nearby - can't remember the name of it but it had the reputation as being a complete meat market.
EphemeristX wrote:
05 Jun 2019, 22:08
Are you between 39 and 19? Then you are.
That's an unfortunately broad spectrum. So yep, I am :-( don't feel like one though. I work in marketing and all the generalisations about Millennials in our trade rags seem a million miles from who I am.

EvilMonkeyPope

Post by EvilMonkeyPope » 06 Jun 2019, 01:34

90's TV Flash was Barry.
Comic book character preferences are so hard to argue consistently because all the notable one have had at least one excellent story & one terrible story. So Character X is the best aside from this one thing or Characters Z is amazing here but only here.

RingOtaku

Post by RingOtaku » 06 Jun 2019, 04:17

I have nothing against Barry as he was a great Flash for his time. It is just that since Wally started as a teen sidekick and got to take over the Flash identity for a long-term thing instead of a few years (like Dick Grayson after Battle For The Cowl) Wally got to become a great character in his own right and show that with the right story to pass that torch you can move on from one character to another.

I stumbled into a good compromise: My female of romantic connections is comics-curious so I get to explain stories and stuff to her while we snuggle and she asks for more.