Welcome to unstablemolecules.com, the discussion home for mightyavengers.net, uncanon.com and uncannyxmen.net!

Random Thoughts

Level 01: Get to know the other posters better. What do they do when they don't read comics?
tokenBG1009

Re: Random Thoughts

Post by tokenBG1009 » 08 Oct 2019, 23:23

XtremeOne1 wrote:
08 Oct 2019, 19:53
das_boot wrote:
08 Oct 2019, 19:29
Blackcyclops wrote:
08 Oct 2019, 16:54
I just hate that flight prices change so much and so drastically...it’s frustrating.

Use a VPN. The websites save cookies of which flights you’re looking at and then up the price by a percentage next time you look
Whaaaat? That's messed up. Im with BC I use Google.
It's true! There's a tech YouTuber I watch that demonstrated this. They went even further by installing TOR as well as a VPN to further hide their identity and there was a pretty decent price difference in the identical flights. It really should be illegal.
"Sometimes I do feel like I'm a failure. Like there's no hope for me. But even so, I'm not gonna give up. Ever!" -Izuku Midoriya

RingOtaku

Post by RingOtaku » 09 Oct 2019, 14:18

Yeah I most likely have to buy a ticket to Haiwaii next year. DId it once before and that length of time (east cost U.S.) means you need to spend for every little advantage first class gives you.
D20 Roulette: A Podcast of Geeks and Raging. https://rouletteproductions.com

Gremlin

Post by Gremlin » 09 Oct 2019, 22:22

I fly A LOT for work. Probably do 20+flights a year, mostly around Europe. I’m quite blasé about it all now and take the bad with the good. Although I seriously hate Ryanair. As a previous poster mentioned it’s more about the service.

I have a lot of annoyances about flying but it’s mostly about other passengers. Cabin baggage space is seriously limited at the best of times but often I see people with bags so big they barely fit in the overhead lockers. That super annoys me. I take a laptop bag with me due to work, and I’ve had people try to take it out of the storage space because they couldn’t fit their giant-size bag in it. When I was younger I would have totally folded, but now I’m almost 36 I’m way grumpier and I stand my ground.
Everybody is entitled you their opinion...but yours is wrong.

Oldmanlogan79

Post by Oldmanlogan79 » 09 Oct 2019, 23:10

Gremlin wrote:
09 Oct 2019, 22:22
I fly A LOT for work. Probably do 20+flights a year, mostly around Europe. I’m quite blasé about it all now and take the bad with the good. Although I seriously hate Ryanair. As a previous poster mentioned it’s more about the service.

I have a lot of annoyances about flying but it’s mostly about other passengers. Cabin baggage space is seriously limited at the best of times but often I see people with bags so big they barely fit in the overhead lockers. That super annoys me. I take a laptop bag with me due to work, and I’ve had people try to take it out of the storage space because they couldn’t fit their giant-size bag in it. When I was younger I would have totally folded, but now I’m almost 36 I’m way grumpier and I stand my ground.
When you fly with Ryanair around Europe...

As soon as you land, if everybody applaud..sometimes it is not a tacky or a silly thing...I promise :?
Lee-Claremont-Morrison-Bendis-Hickman

UrbanExplorer

Post by UrbanExplorer » 09 Oct 2019, 23:17

Happy birthday OldmanLogan!

Oldmanlogan79

Post by Oldmanlogan79 » 09 Oct 2019, 23:22

@UrbanExplorer Thanks a lot broda! you´re so cool and one of the reasons I like these boards the most! very kind!
Lee-Claremont-Morrison-Bendis-Hickman

UrbanExplorer

Post by UrbanExplorer » 09 Oct 2019, 23:36

No problem, I hit the 40 next year...

And to all the others:

Lavettye

Post by Lavettye » 09 Oct 2019, 23:43

40? And you wore that Jesse Aaaronson styled leather outfit in public? Kudos, I wouldn't dare to…. then again, I'm the better part of a decade older than you.
[PL_2.0]

UrbanExplorer

Post by UrbanExplorer » 09 Oct 2019, 23:47

That was waaaay back in 2004 in Düsseldorf. They all thought I was a Sith because I had a cape too :lol:

Lavettye

Post by Lavettye » 09 Oct 2019, 23:48

Oh, okay. At age 24, that's definitely easier to pull off.
[PL_2.0]

UrbanExplorer

Post by UrbanExplorer » 09 Oct 2019, 23:58

But I think the most embarrassing thing was, that I had Sage‘s eye tattoos painted on me, with stage quality tattoo like ink. I wore those over the whole weekend, even when our group was walking through the city and going for lunch. Those McDonald’s staff didn’t know what was going on. :lol: :lol:

EvilMonkeyPope

Post by EvilMonkeyPope » 10 Oct 2019, 23:47

I was without Interwuzzle for thirty-six owls.

das_boot

Post by das_boot » 11 Oct 2019, 09:21

I’m confused. I could have sworn it was JazzKantine who did that exact, oddly specific cosplay
ASPIRING WRITERS!

Check out the “Writing Challenges” thread in the Uncanon Mess Hall!

Spectral Knight

Post by Spectral Knight » 11 Oct 2019, 09:36

...I did say mention that I thought Urban Explorer and JazzKantine were the same poster...

Crutey Anth

Post by Crutey Anth » 12 Oct 2019, 18:34

Today I overthought about the X-Men/Superheroes:

1) How many of them can fly these fighter jey like aircraft...do they have licences? Is there anyone who can't fly the jets because they didn't pass the test?
2) How much money does Charles Xavier actually have (apparently Fantomex once said 3.5 billion...similar to the estimated wealth of Donald Trump)...where has he made his money from? (his jets will cost 35 million each)
3) Surely Cyclops can't fly a jet legally if the only colour he can see is red?
4) Has Beast ever lost his contact lenses during a fight?

das_boot

Post by das_boot » 12 Oct 2019, 21:53

1) I assume they just have the knowledge telepathically implanted into their brain— and perhaps even legally take a pilot’s license?
2) all the money
3) any form of colour blindness precludes you from being allowed to be a pilot, I believe. I’m pretty sure George Michael was colour blind and rejected from the airforce as a result
4) He strikes me as the kind of person who would lose contacts all the time and just pray that he hits the right person
ASPIRING WRITERS!

Blackcyclops

Post by Blackcyclops » 12 Oct 2019, 23:43

I sat for 35 minutes thinking about how much Stark has lost and gained over the decades...thinking too hard about this stuff can be draining
Morrison Era 2001-2005, Decimation Era from 2005-2012, Bendis Era 2012-2016, M-Pox era 2016-2017, and Resurrxion 2017-2019, Hickman Era 2019-?

tokenBG1009

Post by tokenBG1009 » 13 Oct 2019, 04:10

1. They have a simulator that allows them to train in all sorts of situations. I doubt there's a lot of effort to get people trained in flying a jet. Also telepathic implanting of knowledge as booty says.

2. He's old money. He's got a metric f***ton and the X-Men also have multiple other multi-millionaire, potentially billionaire, investors. Xavier, Warren, and Emma are all stupid rich. Warren and Emma are both owners of businesses so they're constantly bringing in more money. Even if Xavier DOESN'T have a business that is bringing in money if he's, for some terrible reason, only got his money in a savings account the interest alone is probably 6M a year.

3. The ability to cheat on a color blindness test is probably child's play. Jean/Xavier/Emma piggy backs on the examiner and feed Scott the necessary answers. The rest he can handle on his own.

4. Probably. I've never worn contacts, or any kind of corrective lenses, but I assume getting thrown around would cause one to get dislodged.
"Sometimes I do feel like I'm a failure. Like there's no hope for me. But even so, I'm not gonna give up. Ever!" -Izuku Midoriya

P-90

Post by P-90 » 13 Oct 2019, 13:28

I doubt they all have licences given they're a vigilante hero group, though some of those who have worked as pilot's in their personal lives (such as Cyclops and Psylocke) will have them.

I think it's weird that Hank still needs glasses in the first place, especially since his other senses have been enhanced, even so you can get permanent lenses now IRL so I'm surprised given his intelligence and access to futuristic tech he hasn't corrected the problem.

As for Moira's married name, I'd just say that she kept it because she wanted to have the same name as Kevin when he was growing up.
'A shared universe, like any fictional construct, hinges on suspension of disbelief. When continuity is tossed away, it tatters the construct. Undermines it'

RingOtaku

Post by RingOtaku » 13 Oct 2019, 14:47

Hit up my annual haunted house attraction last night with my best bud. It really is the traditions that re-energize your soul.
D20 Roulette: A Podcast of Geeks and Raging. https://rouletteproductions.com

tokenBG1009

Post by tokenBG1009 » 18 Oct 2019, 06:39

Anyone else watch seasonal anime? I'm so excited for My Hero S4 starting up last week. Finally getting around to watching the movie tonight.

das_boot

Post by das_boot » 18 Oct 2019, 19:41

I’m already getting mad at the amount of stuff on social media from people who think they’re a witch because they know that Halloween was originally called Samhain, and people posting “we are the daughters of the witches you couldn’t burn” stuff. BEHAVE YOURSELF, BECKY, ITS THE “LIVE LAUGH LOVE” OF THE GOTH SCENE YOU BASIC WITCH.

... apologies if that’s offensive to anyone it just really grinds my gears that people are boiling my actual spiritual beliefs into a goddamn aesthetic because they’ve listens to too much Lana Del BORE
ASPIRING WRITERS!

Blackcyclops

Post by Blackcyclops » 18 Oct 2019, 19:44

das_boot wrote:
18 Oct 2019, 19:41
I’m already getting mad at the amount of stuff on social media from people who think they’re a witch because they know that Halloween was originally called Samhain, and people posting “we are the daughters of the witches you couldn’t burn” stuff. BEHAVE YOURSELF, BECKY, ITS THE “LIVE LAUGH LOVE” OF THE GOTH SCENE YOU BASIC WITCH.

... apologies if that’s offensive to anyone it just really grinds my gears that people are boiling my actual spiritual beliefs into a goddamn aesthetic because they’ve listens to too much Lana Del BORE
Trust me, I understand... see: “Jamaican”, “Geisha”, “Rapper”, “Leprechaun”,all ethnic minorities based costumes...
Morrison Era 2001-2005, Decimation Era from 2005-2012, Bendis Era 2012-2016, M-Pox era 2016-2017, and Resurrxion 2017-2019, Hickman Era 2019-?

Nu-D

Post by Nu-D » 18 Oct 2019, 20:15

das_boot wrote:
18 Oct 2019, 19:41

Can I ask a question? It’s a genuine question out of a desire to learn, not an excuse to be judgmental or dismissive or to try to argue with you. If you don’t want to answer, I respect that. Also, I’m using terms like “Wiccan” and “pagan” and “witch” without really knowing much about what they mean to you or other folks who adhere to this stuff. I really don’t know how to use the vocabulary, so apologies in advance if I’m flubbing up and making ignorant assumptions.

A few weeks ago on a Slate advice column, one of the letter writers wanted permission to brush off a friend who claimed that dressing as a witch for Halloween was culturally insensitive. In the comments section, several of the anonymous posters took the position that Wicca was an “invented” religion, and therefore not worthy of respect or consideration. One in particular seemed to have some knowledge about the modern history, tracing it back to the early 20th Century and contrasting aspects of the modern idea with various strains of paganism from ancient Europe to argue it’s not really a continuous ancient tradition, but a purely new creation.

I don’t know anything about the history, and that’s not important to me. I take the position that people’s religious/spiritual beliefs don’t need a historical pedigree to be legitimate. But that’s not my question.

My question is whether you, and folks in your circle, view your practice as being part of an unbroken ancient tradition, or whether you see it as a modern innovation on ancient ideas, or something new altogether? Do you see your practice as syncretic (i.e. pulling together strands of related spiritual traditions) or pure (i.e. a true recreation or perpetuation of an unbroken tradition)? I’m interested in your personal beliefs, and how you experience it. Or maybe the question isn’t really meaningful, in which case I’d like to understand that too.

Again, I understand you’re not a spokesperson, and have no duty to tell me anything. So I’ll piss off if you prefer. I’m just curious, is all.

das_boot

Post by das_boot » 18 Oct 2019, 21:23

NU-D: okay so...

I’m not Wiccan. Wicca traces its roots to the mid 20th century where it just plucked from whatever it felt like— various ancient faiths and customs and practices, but mostly folklore from the UK. If there are people who find comfort and faith in Wicca, I do not and will not judge them for that.

I suppose realistically you could call witchcraft the anthropromorphic personificationism of nature. Each of the larger festivals symbolise life and death and the seasons. Some witches will choose to use deities that speak to them— some don’t. Some families can trace their roots back generations to the witch trials and hid their faith through “converting” to Catholicism and using various saints in their ritual work, as opposed to spirits and deities.

Pagan is basically a catch-all term for any kind of nature based faith— Wicca, witchcraft, Druidic faiths etc.

I wouldn’t say that dressing up as a witch would be cultural appropriation. After all, the witches that most people are dressing as are from folklore and myth. It’s not some white chick dressing up as a First Nation woman, or a white dude thinking he’s clever by painting his face a dark colour and saying that he’s Obama. There’s no more or less harm in that than someone dressing up as a super hero or a cartoon character 🤷‍♂️

EDIT TO ACTUALLY ANSWER THE QUESTION:
I see myself as both. I’m a millennial. I have access to information and technologies that my ancestors didn’t. I have the figurative world at my finger tips. I can find references or symbols without having to learn them by heart. But I wouldn’t have the knowledge to take what I can find online and apply it to the way that I practice without what i’ve been taught by family members with more experience than me
ASPIRING WRITERS!