Welcome to unstablemolecules.com, the discussion home for mightyavengers.net, uncanon.com and uncannyxmen.net!

Random Thoughts

Level 01: Get to know the other posters better. What do they do when they don't read comics?
Wings

Re: Random Thoughts

Post by Wings » 11 Mar 2019, 19:57

Ejifor.

You know how there was all that talk about how renumbering/renaming books made things easier for entry level fans? I just did out a reading order for Thor since JMS' relaunch in 2007 for a friend who is interested in getting into comics (specifically focusing on Thor's own book and avoiding adjacent books like Journey Into Mystery and Agent of Asgard) and I am calling bull on that statement.
Sign-ups for Betrayal Game 76: Murder in Manhattan now open! Help Jessica Jones solve the unexplained murder of a group of super-villains! Link to the thread here:
viewtopic.php?f=24&p=169031#p169031

Blackcyclops

Post by Blackcyclops » 11 Mar 2019, 21:17

Better run of comedies during the height of their career: Eddie Murphy or Bill Murray?
I'm Team Remender, Waid, Hickman and Gillen

My X-Men Draft Picks:
Prof. X, Legion, Polaris, Quicksilver, Meggan, Deadpool, Pixie, and Danger

Anna Raven

Post by Anna Raven » 11 Mar 2019, 22:50

Bill's height was longer, but Eddie's height was higher.
Thunderbolts Draft: Punisher | Black Cat | Moon Knight (as Kraven the Hunter) | Diamondback

RingOtaku

Post by RingOtaku » 12 Mar 2019, 00:54

I have to go Bill just because I can't remember the last time I quoted an Eddie Murphy role but I am never far away from a Peter Venkman moment.
D20 Roulette: A Podcast of Geeks and Raging. https://rouletteproductions.com

Anna Raven

Post by Anna Raven » 12 Mar 2019, 03:05

RingOtaku wrote:
12 Mar 2019, 00:54
I have to go Bill just because I can't remember the last time I quoted an Eddie Murphy role but I am never far away from a Peter Venkman moment.
I quote Coming to America quite often, as well as Donkey from Shrek.
Thunderbolts Draft: Punisher | Black Cat | Moon Knight (as Kraven the Hunter) | Diamondback

Blackcyclops

Post by Blackcyclops » 12 Mar 2019, 03:36

i think anna hit it...Murray went longer but Eddie went higher.

Chris Rock vs Adam Sandler?

My X-Men Draft Picks:

RingOtaku

Post by RingOtaku » 12 Mar 2019, 03:51

Sandler

Gibbering Fool

Post by Gibbering Fool » 12 Mar 2019, 09:55

Sandler, I can't stand Chris Rock and I can't thinkof a good Chris Rock film. Sandler's not much better but he had some memorable films in the 90s.

Nu-D

Post by Nu-D » 12 Mar 2019, 10:00

Wings wrote:
11 Mar 2019, 19:57
You know how there was all that talk about how renumbering/renaming books made things easier for entry level fans? I just did out a reading order for Thor since JMS' relaunch in 2007 for a friend who is interested in getting into comics (specifically focusing on Thor's own book and avoiding adjacent books like Journey Into Mystery and Agent of Asgard) and I am calling bull on that statement.
Yep. When you tend to read in trades, and but them online, it’s often impossible to figure out which vol. 2 follows the vol. 1 you just read.

Blackcyclops

Post by Blackcyclops » 12 Mar 2019, 10:59

Meryl Streep vs Glenn Close?

My X-Men Draft Picks:

Magik84

Post by Magik84 » 12 Mar 2019, 12:19

Nu-D wrote:
12 Mar 2019, 10:00
Wings wrote:
Yep. When you tend to read in trades, and but them online, it’s often impossible to figure out which vol. 2 follows the vol. 1 you just read.
I was thinking about this recently, I use Marvel Unlimited app, and having years beside each title helps but when there's a title change (like Captain Marvel to The Mighty Captain Marvel) it's hard to know where to go next.

I think maybe a double numbering system could work, have a volume/series number small the a larger issue number. So you could have Uncanny X-Men Vol. 5 No. 1., then you can start at whatever volume you want and you know issue 6 or whatever belongs to that volume. They'd still be able to market a big new issue 1 too if they want to attract new readers. Or if you don't want to confuse it with tpb call it series 1 etc. (like tv show numbering)
X-Editorial Draft: Prodigy, Vange Whedon, lil' Iceman, Wallflower, Cecelia Reyes, Mimic, U-Go Girl, Doc Samson, Nature Girl

das_boot

Post by das_boot » 12 Mar 2019, 13:10

Blackcyclops wrote:
12 Mar 2019, 10:59
Meryl Streep vs Glenn Close?
Close, but i’d have to go with Meryl
Marvel Fantasy League Team: Laura Kinney, James Howlett, Domino, Luke Cage, Magik, Black Bolt, Sentry, Dazzler, Nick Fury, Dazzler, Hawkeye (not the Hawkguy)

Cable

Post by Cable » 12 Mar 2019, 14:03

Magik84 wrote:
12 Mar 2019, 12:19
Nu-D wrote:
12 Mar 2019, 10:00
Wings wrote:
I was thinking about this recently, I use Marvel Unlimited app, and having years beside each title helps but when there's a title change (like Captain Marvel to The Mighty Captain Marvel) it's hard to know where to go next.

I think maybe a double numbering system could work, have a volume/series number small the a larger issue number. So you could have Uncanny X-Men Vol. 5 No. 1., then you can start at whatever volume you want and you know issue 6 or whatever belongs to that volume. They'd still be able to market a big new issue 1 too if they want to attract new readers. Or if you don't want to confuse it with tpb call it series 1 etc. (like tv show numbering)
They already do that. It is called Legacy numbering. See here is latest cover of Uncanny X-Men. In the top left is #13 representing the current volume. Underneath is Lgy# 632 representing the order in all the volumes combined.

Best X-Comic last week: Uncanny X-Men #14

Best non X-Comic last week: Meet the Skrulls #2

Magik84

Post by Magik84 » 12 Mar 2019, 14:58

@Cable, I didn't realize probably because I don't get single issues. Though it still makes things difficult to order prior to that, it is good change.
X-Editorial Draft: Prodigy, Vange Whedon, lil' Iceman, Wallflower, Cecelia Reyes, Mimic, U-Go Girl, Doc Samson, Nature Girl

Nu-D

Post by Nu-D » 12 Mar 2019, 15:41

Cable wrote:
12 Mar 2019, 14:03
They already do that. It is called Legacy numbering. See here is latest cover of Uncanny X-Men. In the top left is #13 representing the current volume. Underneath is Lgy# 632 representing the order in all the volumes combined.
Well, they began doing it because folks were complaining about confusion after 10+ years of not doing it. Also, are they doing it on comics that don’t really have a legacy? For example, if they published a Wonder Man series, would they put some kind of legacy numbering on it even though he’s only ever had a handful of his own comics, and they’ve mostly been LS?

The best solution is to put the original publication dates clearly visible on every cover. That means the Trade should have on the cover the months and years that the contained issues were initially published. Often, the blurb on the back says, “Originally Published in TITLE, vol. no.” But that’s not always adequate. A date would be easily added and really valuable.

This helps not only with sequencing the issues in a title, and between sequential titles, but also helps with looking across the MU to see what events were occurring simultaneously in other titles. Even though the in-universe events may not be perfectly synched up across titles by real-world date, it does help establish a general timeline.

Marvel did this through the ‘70’s and ‘80’s, and into the ‘90’s. It was invaluable as a collector. I could quickly and easily figure out which X-Factor back issue corresponded to the “Casket of Winters” issues in Thor, give or take a month, just by looking at the cover. When you’re buying online and can’t look inside at the indicia, that’s essential. Or a story like the Mutant Massacre, which didn’t have a banner on the covers. If I’m browsing Amazon right now for the Thor tie-in, and I don’t have the “read order” image readily available, it’s hard for me to know for certain what comic to buy unless I have dates.

Blackcyclops

Post by Blackcyclops » 12 Mar 2019, 15:52

Anybody watch The Expanse? How is it?

My X-Men Draft Picks:

P-90

Post by P-90 » 12 Mar 2019, 23:47

Blackcyclops wrote:
12 Mar 2019, 15:52
If I didn't know that was a TV show that would've been a really surreal question :)

EvilMonkeyPope

Post by EvilMonkeyPope » 13 Mar 2019, 10:09

Blackcyclops wrote:
The Expanse is stupendous! I'm mad I'll have to get Prime to find out how the series continues!

The X-Men Celebrate National Pancake Day!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sIMu7V5lXyk

manuel_mc89

Post by manuel_mc89 » 13 Mar 2019, 14:05

Ok, so have you read on X-Men Twitter how there's a rumour that Hickman is probably going to be the, or a, next X-Men writer? https://twitter.com/XavierFiles/status/ ... 11718?s=19

I have to say I agree with some of the comments floating around, and even though I would enjoy a Hickman written X-Men story, I want to keep reading the current writers books, so hopefully this will be in a book like Astonishing. Let him roam there, and Rosenberg, Thompson, et al, continue their books.

Edit: I wrote Morrison instead of Rosenberg lol
Legion: I will circle around you until the stars die an the world has forgotten what makes us different, and I will shatter any future that dares to divide us.

Blackcyclops

Post by Blackcyclops » 13 Mar 2019, 14:22

EvilMonkeyPope wrote:
13 Mar 2019, 10:09
Blackcyclops wrote:
The Expanse is stupendous! I'm mad I'll have to get Prime to find out how the series continues!

The X-Men Celebrate National Pancake Day!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sIMu7V5lXyk
I trust you EmP. I know if you like it, that it’s at least worth a shot.

My X-Men Draft Picks:

Blackcyclops

Post by Blackcyclops » 13 Mar 2019, 14:23

Which Disney animated films pre-little mermaid you think have aged the best?

My X-Men Draft Picks:

RingOtaku

Post by RingOtaku » 13 Mar 2019, 14:38

Bambi, Oliver and Company, The Aristocats

Anna Raven

Post by Anna Raven » 13 Mar 2019, 16:13

Blackcyclops wrote:
13 Mar 2019, 14:23
Which Disney animated films pre-little mermaid you think have aged the best?
I mean pretty much all of them, except the ones that have something egregiously racist or sexist. But Disney films are still the greatest animated treasures this country has ever produced.

I guess my top picks would be Pinnochio, Sleeping Beauty, and Fantasia.

EphemeristX

Post by EphemeristX » 13 Mar 2019, 18:58

Sleeping Beauty for sure. Cinderella too.
http://dancehall-daze.tumblr.com

"Take your baby by the ears
And play upon her darkest fears"

Blackcyclops

Post by Blackcyclops » 13 Mar 2019, 19:21

I think alot of the 80s ones difn’t age as well being honest.

My X-Men Draft Picks: