Welcome to unstablemolecules.com, the discussion home for mightyavengers.net, uncanon.com and uncannyxmen.net!

Re: Random Thoughts

Level 01: Get to know the other posters better. What do they do when they don't read comics?
EphemeristX

Re: Re: Random Thoughts

Post by EphemeristX » 23 Jun 2020, 15:47

I'd just settle for proper scanners that could instantly tell who was sick.
http://dancehall-daze.tumblr.com

"Take your baby by the ears
And play upon her darkest fears"

Spectral Knight

Post by Spectral Knight » 23 Jun 2020, 15:56

I've barely left the house as still been working (from home) through quarantine.

EphemeristX

Post by EphemeristX » 23 Jun 2020, 16:26

I'd been venturing out a bit but there's been a recent surge in my area, so it's back in the bunker.
http://dancehall-daze.tumblr.com

"Take your baby by the ears
And play upon her darkest fears"

Blackcyclops

Post by Blackcyclops » 23 Jun 2020, 16:30

We take drives and walk in the woods with masks.
Morrison Era 2001-2005, Decimation Era from 2005-2012, Bendis Era 2012-2016, M-Pox era 2016-2017, and Resurrxion 2017-2019, Hickman Era 2019-?

das_boot

Post by das_boot » 23 Jun 2020, 16:46

Meanwhile, I’ve been back at work since last week, preparing to re open on the 4th of July.

I’m keeping quiet on social media because I have people from the company on there, but I really really really hate this. I absolutely think that our government are more bothered about the economy than people’s health, and the company that I work for CLEARLY don’t care about their staff since they think that a small drop of PPE should be enough for us for at least a month. This is absolutely stupid and to be asking people to risk their health for the sake of pouring some beers is just beyond appalling, especially when we can’t guarantee that customers will listen to guidance or think that it applies to them after they’ve had a few pints.

The job hunt continues... when things re-open, at least...
ASPIRING WRITERS!

Check out the “Writing Challenges” thread in the Uncanon Mess Hall!

P-90

Post by P-90 » 23 Jun 2020, 16:48

Blackcyclops wrote:
23 Jun 2020, 16:30
We take drives and walk in the woods with masks.
It shows how crazy the world is at the moment that that sentence isn't seen as weird.
'A shared universe, like any fictional construct, hinges on suspension of disbelief. When continuity is tossed away, it tatters the construct. Undermines it'

RingOtaku

Post by RingOtaku » 23 Jun 2020, 17:02

My work duties never changed. I just wear the mask at work. My Boring COVID stories lol
D20 Roulette: Vlogs. Game Streams. Geekness. https://www.youtube.com/user/gotyoursomething/videos

Magik84

Post by Magik84 » 23 Jun 2020, 19:04

While nothing confirmed our manager told us not to expect to be back in office for work until January. As it is a job that can be worked from home, other people in university will get back earlier but they are aiming to try and limit the number of people on campus to just those necessary.
X-Editorial Draft: Prodigy, Vange Whedon, lil' Iceman, Wallflower, Cecelia Reyes, Mimic, U-Go Girl, Doc Samson, Nature Girl

das_boot

Post by das_boot » 23 Jun 2020, 20:27

Apparently Durham university have had conflicting advice depending on which department they work in— some are saying that it’ll be final year students only, whilst some are saying that everything will be taught online until at least January, and some have been told that they needn’t bother to try and plan to teach any first year students the next academic year
ASPIRING WRITERS!

Gibbering Fool

Post by Gibbering Fool » 24 Jun 2020, 09:23

das_boot wrote:
23 Jun 2020, 07:43
Gibbering Fool wrote:
21 Jun 2020, 10:19
I'm currently watching my way through The Legend of Korra whilst reading Brandon Sanderson's Wax and Wayne Mistborn novels. Both have a steampunk setting and people with magical abilities so it seems like a nice parallel.

KORRA! The SUPERIOR Avatar.
I've never watched it. I'm really enjoying it

das_boot

Post by das_boot » 24 Jun 2020, 19:51

Because she’s far superior to Aang in every way
ASPIRING WRITERS!

Crutey Anth

Post by Crutey Anth » 25 Jun 2020, 07:07

das_boot wrote:
24 Jun 2020, 19:51
Because she’s far superior to Aang in every way
You talking about just the character or as a series? I love both but an issue is how them as characters are all wrapped up in the problems of their series. I think Korra's series has more 'issues' than Aangs....it's more complex which is great, but also has more weaknesses

One thing I do love about Korra is she learns from the villains she fights- each one teaches her something which helps her grow as a character (after initially challenging her in a different way). It's a lot more nuanced (except series 2....that one had problems!- which I will talk about if wanted but its a massive tangent)

I suppose we can argue that Korra is more 'three dimensional' as a character....but that comes from the fact that she is an older character (19-20?) whereas Aang is 12-13 and grew up in an idlyic setting so therefore is a bit 'blander'.

Blackcyclops

Post by Blackcyclops » 25 Jun 2020, 11:52

I enjoyed more of Korra’s series than I did Aang’s, which is saying alot because I loved his! So it isn’t a dig at him. I really loved Aang’s series finale BUT Korra’s final moments left me feeling way more satisified.
Morrison Era 2001-2005, Decimation Era from 2005-2012, Bendis Era 2012-2016, M-Pox era 2016-2017, and Resurrxion 2017-2019, Hickman Era 2019-?

das_boot

Post by das_boot » 25 Jun 2020, 14:15

Here’s my thing: Aang had no choice in anything he did, really. He HAD to learn all the forms of bending as quickly as possible and a lot of the character development felt rushed due to this. Katara can’t master a scroll but after a day at the North Pole she’s taking on masters and then a few days later becoming one herself? Aang masters the elements ridiculously quickly even for an Avatar (and we know it took Roku nearly 12 years to master all four elements, but granted, his time was one largely of peace until the last decade or so which he spent... doing nothing helpful). Kyoshi (the Avatar prior to Roku) spent years being denied that she was the Avatar and she lived to be 200+. The Avatar before her was Kuruk the water tribe Avatar who admitted that he was a slacker of an Avatar. Aang had a lot to do, but out of the rest of his Avatar cycle (apparently air is canonically the end of the cycle, as far as cycles have an end), he only had Kyoshi who did anything noteworthy (United the Earth Kingdom, established the Dai Li)— Kuruk was a slacker and Roku was paralysed by the thought of fighting his former best friend/raising a family.

Korra isn’t just the start of a new Avatar cycle, but she has a LOT to live up to. Aang returned from the dead and ended a century-long war whilst a teenager, set up Republic City and under his rule, a new sub-set of Earth-Bending gained such prominence that it almost ALMOST becomes a fifth kind of common bending.

Korra was an Avatar that was born into a time of peace but actually, was probably more suited to be an Avatar during war time. She still mastered all four elements quickly (by the age of 19/20), but she also wasn’t even given exposure to an air master until that point. Furthermore, she was coddled by the white lotus, and never really knew how much danger she, as a person, was in until the Red Lotus escaped their prisons. She had to deal with the biggest threat to the status of Avatar (an ideological one, no less), facing four incredibly skilled benders, two of which had incredibly rare sub-skills, one with a unique fighting style, and one who had embraced the philosophies of air-bending (albeit by corrupting those philosophies), and they came close to killing her... and by that point she had NONE of her past lives to aid or guide her, and had to do it by instinct.

Ugh. That was my TEDtalk on why Korra is such an underrated Avatar whilst Aang seemingly is universally adored
ASPIRING WRITERS!

Crutey Anth

Re: Random Thoughts

Post by Crutey Anth » 25 Jun 2020, 15:55

Aang Vs Korra...my essay.

Character: Aang is much more likeable- Korra has a clear sense of entitlement and angst (a sulkyness almost)- possibly this is because of the structure of the series. Pretty much every conflict is 'does the world need an avatar'- where she's being told she's worthless...or she sucks as the avatar (partially because of her headstrongness). I'll be honest I like Korra and her series but it suffers from too many characters- it has 26 or so characters who feature in 10+ episodes vs about 12 in the original series so it ends up giving each one of them less development. It's also plot driven much more- Aang has 'episodic TV in a world at war- easy to have side adventures, stories, character moments...even just them hanging out' whereas Korra's series is plot point after plot point and nothing gets time to breathe! (compare the likes of Mako and Asami to the supporting characters in Last airbender). Aang is given the time to let things breath like S1- he hurts Katara with fire bending and then clearly has a fear of using it for the next 2 series.

Motivation: Aang is a kid forced to grow up when he doesn't want to. He ran away from responsibility and in doing so he allowed the rise of the fire nation and all of the stuff they did. He feels responsible for everything because he sees it as his fault. He's a kid forced to deal with the weight of the world where only he can solve the issues. Korra is the avatar but it's weird it's almost played like she's just a celebrity or something- all of the power brokers in the world just want her to butt out- a whole plot (abandoned in series 2) about the civil war is literally how she isn't equipped to deal with the problems of the world- what really is the role of the avatar? I always just get the impression that she is doing avatar things because she feels she's meant to because that is her role- not that she has any great calling or responsibility- hence when she decides to give it up and be a street fighter for a bit- when the world clearly decided she wasn't necessary.

'Feats': Das you bring up Series 3 which is no doubt *chef kiss* a spectacular series- the best of Korra (3,4,1,2- should anyone wonder, 2 especially because of what it did to all the lore of the series)- an issue is they set Korra up to be 'a loser'/less than Aang a lot. Series 1- she had her bending taken away and Aang has to give it back, series 2- she is basically beaten at every step until she can go big and blue to do stuff...and then Jinorah basically helps, series 3- The team take out the villains whilst Korra acts as a distraction- she then leaves to hide from the world because she's sees the world doesn't need her, Series 4- She beats Kuvira.

In a fight?- I might have to give this one to Korra- though I think Aang is much more creative in his offence/how he would fight. Korra clearly has the advantage in raw skill.

Again don't get me wrong- I love both of them. I end up watching them as a full run through every year but I do think the writers set Korra up to be in the shadow of Aang by the structure of the series/the plots used etc Korra was always dealing with some self-doubt/angst about who she really was far too much too.

Can we all agree at least that Zuko is the most complicated 4 dimensional character ever made for children's TV?

das_boot

Post by das_boot » 25 Jun 2020, 16:23

ZUKO IS PRECIOUS. ALSO TOPH. AND LIN AND SUYIN.

You want a chef’s kiss moment? The Beifong sisters Vs P’Li. I have NEVER been so stunned by something on a kids tv show before, and whilst they didn’t show IT, oh LORDY were you ever left without any doubt of the outcome, especially when you see what Combustion Man did to himself in Aang’s series
ASPIRING WRITERS!

RingOtaku

Post by RingOtaku » 25 Jun 2020, 16:28

This is all I need or want to know about Avatar in any format: https://youtu.be/ojhTu9aAa_Y
The lack of other knowledge and context makes it more lulzy
D20 Roulette: Vlogs. Game Streams. Geekness. https://www.youtube.com/user/gotyoursomething/videos

Lavettye

Post by Lavettye » 25 Jun 2020, 16:56

das_boot wrote:
25 Jun 2020, 16:23

You want a chef’s kiss moment? The Beifong sisters Vs P’Li. I have NEVER been so stunned by something on a kids tv show before, and whilst they didn’t show IT, oh LORDY were you ever left without any doubt of the outcome, especially when you see what Combustion Man did to himself in Aang’s series
I have absolutely no idea what this post means. I seem to recognize a few single words, but actually I'm not even sure that this is supposed to be English.
[PL_2.0]

Aeon

Post by Aeon » 25 Jun 2020, 16:59

Me think they talking about child tv series.

das_boot

Post by das_boot » 25 Jun 2020, 18:24

Lavettye wrote:
25 Jun 2020, 16:56
das_boot wrote:
25 Jun 2020, 16:23

I have absolutely no idea what this post means. I seem to recognize a few single words, but actually I'm not even sure that this is supposed to be English.
Zuko= the son of a tyrannical pyrokinetic king, who is himself pyrokinetic but has a severely burned face as a result of his father duelling him and banishing him until his honour was restored. He goes from being a major antagonist to being an incredibly relatable character.

Toph= a blind geo kinetic whose parents raised her in seclusion, unaware that she actually is somewhat of a master due to being able to “see” her surroundings via vibrations in the earth. She also invents metal-bending (manipulation of metal) which was something considered impossible.

Lin and Suyin are Toph’s daughters in the sequel series who have the same powers as her (but nowhere near as strong, but arguably more finessed).

P’Li is a pyrokinetic but also possesses a rare sub-skill of it, being that she can literally create explosions from her third-eye. She does not have a fun time. https://youtu.be/VMO70D16dG4
ASPIRING WRITERS!

Lavettye

Post by Lavettye » 25 Jun 2020, 18:54

Apparently we need [sarcasm] [/sarcasm] tags.
[PL_2.0]

das_boot

Post by das_boot » 25 Jun 2020, 19:04

Lavettye wrote:
25 Jun 2020, 18:54
Apparently we need [sarcasm] [/sarcasm] tags.
Or, to be educated in excellence 😎
ASPIRING WRITERS!

Aeon

Post by Aeon » 25 Jun 2020, 19:10

Bwaaahahahaaaaa!!!

Lavettye

Post by Lavettye » 25 Jun 2020, 19:40

So what are you applauding? Going by your previous post, you are apparently among the "uneducated" just the same....
[PL_2.0]

Aeon

Post by Aeon » 25 Jun 2020, 19:41

No, I pretended it.