Welcome to unstablemolecules.com, the discussion home for mightyavengers.net, uncanon.com and uncannyxmen.net!

Random Thoughts

Level 01: Get to know the other posters better. What do they do when they don't read comics?
Nu-D

Re: Random Thoughts

Post by Nu-D » 19 May 2020, 15:41

Anna Raven wrote:
19 May 2020, 02:22
EvilMonkeyPope wrote:
19 May 2020, 02:11
Kuvira has the same eyebrows as Sarah Yarkin.
What are two people I've never heard of before, Alex?
Ditto.

I do find it striking how the shape of her eyebrows and nose are paralleled with the shape of the collar on her jacket. It’s a very effective look for her, if she would only get her finger out of the way.
He/him/his

RingOtaku

Post by RingOtaku » 21 May 2020, 04:46

R.I.P. Shad Gaspard. You went out a true hero.
D20 Roulette: Vlogs. Game Streams. Geekness. https://www.youtube.com/user/gotyoursomething/videos

das_boot

Post by das_boot » 21 May 2020, 08:12

RingOtaku wrote:
21 May 2020, 04:46
Just googled because I knew I recognised the name... glad he managed to get his kid to safety but damn...
ASPIRING WRITERS!

Check out the “Writing Challenges” thread in the Uncanon Mess Hall!

RingOtaku

Post by RingOtaku » 21 May 2020, 18:04

das_boot wrote:
21 May 2020, 08:12
RingOtaku wrote:
21 May 2020, 04:46
Just googled because I knew I recognised the name... glad he managed to get his kid to safety but damn...
Yep. Followed the story for the past few days. It was kinda surreal.
D20 Roulette: Vlogs. Game Streams. Geekness. https://www.youtube.com/user/gotyoursomething/videos

Lavettye

Post by Lavettye » 25 May 2020, 11:52

tokenBG1009 wrote:
15 May 2020, 00:55
You've been rather quiet these past few days... How is the new job going, or haven't you started yet ?
[PL_2.0]

tokenBG1009

Post by tokenBG1009 » 25 May 2020, 16:16

Lavettye wrote:
25 May 2020, 11:52
tokenBG1009 wrote:
15 May 2020, 00:55
You've been rather quiet these past few days... How is the new job going, or haven't you started yet ?
It's going well. I've put in more walking in the last week than I have in the last year it feels like. My schedule feels more cramped as I'm normally busy at work and I come home to spend time with my girlfriend who gets home shortly after I do. Weekends actually have meaning again because it's where all my real free time is.

Overall, it's just a real big change that I'm trying to get used to. I miss all of you though!
"Sometimes I do feel like I'm a failure. Like there's no hope for me. But even so, I'm not gonna give up. Ever!" -Izuku Midoriya

Cable

Post by Cable » 25 May 2020, 16:32

So comics come back this week? Is there a definitive release schedule going forward listed somewhere? I used to do my pull list by looking at the upcoming month's solicits and deciding what I want but obviously the solicits are all wrong now :/
No Comics Last Week

Weekly Best Rankings
X-Writer--Gerry Duggan, Jonathan Hickman, Chip Zdarsky
X-Artist--Terry Dodson, Matteo Lolli, Mahmud Asrar

Non-X Writer--Jed MacKay, Greg Pak, Matthew Rosenberg
Non-X Artist--Ario Anindito, Otto Schmidt, Kris Anka

das_boot

Post by das_boot » 25 May 2020, 16:47

Cable wrote:
25 May 2020, 16:32
So comics come back this week? Is there a definitive release schedule going forward listed somewhere? I used to do my pull list by looking at the upcoming month's solicits and deciding what I want but obviously the solicits are all wrong now :/
I think there’s an article in the solicitations section maybe?

@Token— glad you’re enjoying your new job and getting used to a change in lifestyle :)
ASPIRING WRITERS!

Cable

Post by Cable » 25 May 2020, 19:14

das_boot wrote:
25 May 2020, 16:47
Cable wrote:
Ah ok thanks. I didnt see it as I try to avoid that section of the forums
No Comics Last Week

Weekly Best Rankings

das_boot

Post by das_boot » 25 May 2020, 19:14

Cable wrote:
25 May 2020, 19:14
das_boot wrote:
25 May 2020, 16:47
Cable wrote:
Ah ok thanks. I didnt see it as I try to avoid that section of the forums
No problem :)
ASPIRING WRITERS!

EvilMonkeyPope

Post by EvilMonkeyPope » 26 May 2020, 10:29

I need a specific head for a custom. The only loose one I found was in a lot with other heads I don't want. I asked the seller about just buying the one & they declined. Then the lot was relisted with even more fodder.

Lavettye

Post by Lavettye » 26 May 2020, 10:54

Contact them again and ask to just buy the one head..... and offer less than what you did last time. :-)

And once the lot gets sold, you could try contacting the actual buyer about that head.
[PL_2.0]

RingOtaku

Post by RingOtaku » 26 May 2020, 15:21

EvilMonkeyPope wrote:
26 May 2020, 10:29
I need a specific head for a custom. The only loose one I found was in a lot with other heads I don't want. I asked the seller about just buying the one & they declined. Then the lot was relisted with even more fodder.
Use the other heads for voodoo rituals. Or just randomly leave them in places around town. "Why is there a tiny head of Wolverine staring at me while I use the restroom? What a weird store."

das_boot

Post by das_boot » 26 May 2020, 17:26

RingOtaku wrote:
26 May 2020, 15:21
EvilMonkeyPope wrote:
26 May 2020, 10:29
Use the other heads for voodoo rituals. Or just randomly leave them in places around town. "Why is there a tiny head of Wolverine staring at me while I use the restroom? What a weird store."
I approve both of these messages

So I ordered a microphone with the intention of starting a couple podcasts... I’m going to bug you all to listen when they’re done 😘
ASPIRING WRITERS!

RingOtaku

Post by RingOtaku » 26 May 2020, 17:32

I use a Snowball Ice Blue USB microphone for my podcasts and game streams. It picks up the audio pretty good.

Cable

Post by Cable » 27 May 2020, 00:35

Everyone who has not voted in the Marvel Battle Royale should go do so for Jean Grey. She is just barely losing the final

https://www.marvel.com/tournaments/marv ... oyale-2020
No Comics Last Week

Weekly Best Rankings

Blackcyclops

Post by Blackcyclops » 27 May 2020, 01:29

And another one...sheesh Minneapolis Police...RIP George Llyod.
Morrison Era 2001-2005, Decimation Era from 2005-2012, Bendis Era 2012-2016, M-Pox era 2016-2017, and Resurrxion 2017-2019, Hickman Era 2019-?

RingOtaku

Post by RingOtaku » 27 May 2020, 02:44

Blackcyclops wrote:
27 May 2020, 01:29
And another one...sheesh Minneapolis Police...RIP George Llyod.
Things like this are why I am glad I know some law enforcement personally and can attest not everyone of them is this evil.

EphemeristX

Post by EphemeristX » 28 May 2020, 07:05

Does anybody else feel like this stuff has gotten worse since the pandemic started? I mean, maybe it's that I'm noticing it more because I'm online so much more, but it seems like not having to be in polite society is making these people more overtly racist.
http://dancehall-daze.tumblr.com

"Take your baby by the ears
And play upon her darkest fears"

Crutey Anth

Post by Crutey Anth » 28 May 2020, 07:34

I was wondering this morning when USA and UK diverged so much in terms of...I don't know 'culture/attitude''?

UK: Government aide drives up the country when he had coronavirus...and went for a drive when he recovered to check his eyesight hadn't been effected. It's a HUGE story.

US: Citizens being killed by police, President accusing newsreaders of murder, threatens to go after social media companies....I was reading quite a few people worried about a coup after the upcoming election.

'Two nations separated by a common language' and all that.

It's almost like Izzard's UK vs US drama sketch but in real life https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N0onquIv89g

das_boot

Post by das_boot » 28 May 2020, 08:59

EphemeristX wrote:
28 May 2020, 07:05
Does anybody else feel like this stuff has gotten worse since the pandemic started? I mean, maybe it's that I'm noticing it more because I'm online so much more, but it seems like not having to be in polite society is making these people more overtly racist.
I got really annoyed just watching the video of that woman in Central Park, she knew EXACTLY what she was doing and she was trying to get a man shot, FOR ASKING HER TO PUT HER DOG BACK ON HER LEASH. If that isn’t reaching boiling point of Karenheit, I don’t know what is.

@Crutey— this thing with Dominic Cummings is making me so angry. Literally, the day before the story broke, my dad had offered to drive to Durham and have a socially distanced dog walk with me: I told him not to, due to the fact that my mam’s been working all the way through lockdown, and with them both being 60+, they’re high risk— even though it’s totally allowed for him to travel (context, non-Brits— my parents live in Newcastle and I live in Durham— it’s about a half hour drive away).

To then find out that a government advisor travelled here from London at the peak of lockdown, whilst infected, and then had days out for his wife’s birthday, travelled up and down the country a couple of times, broke guidelines about taking a suspected Covid-19 case to A+E (ER, if we were in America), LIED ABOUT IT ALL, and then has the base disrespect to not apologise, claim he hasn’t done anything wrong, and that absolute CLOWN running our country backs him up, along with a load of other spineless Tories? Get these awful creatures directly out of my government now thanks, because this isn’t just standard Tory disdain for the working class/ LGBTQ+/ POC anymore, this is them at their most elitist, living off the “do as I say, not as I do mentality”. Oh I’m about ready to riot.
ASPIRING WRITERS!

Spectral Knight

Post by Spectral Knight » 28 May 2020, 09:50

I thought you might've saw him over at the castle, Das :lol:

I honestly think the whole Cummings thing is a storm in a tea-cup. I REALLY don't like Cummings*, but other than the nonsense eye test thing, there's not a lot he's done wrong IF he's had no contact with anyone else. He should've fessed up to wanting to stretch his legs in a more scenic location... he'd still look like a tit, don't get me wrong, but a far more credible tit. And the attempts to force a sacking/resignation an official adviser are pretty naive - even if he wasn't on the Govt. payroll, do we really think Bojo won't be on the blower to him on a daily basis?

I do think some of the kerfuffle has a hint of a culture of jealousy around him having a place to go to self-isolate and have access to childcare and support... when many parents, particularly single parents don't have those luxuries. Sure, inequality isn't nice, but you can't front a guy for the circumstances of their birth. What he can help is be a bit more understanding of how it looks to everyone else though.

And Brexit divides are continuing to cast their shadows on it. Pro-remain media are all over him in a bit of a hatchet job (claims of the guy being back in Durham on the 19th April from the Mirror/Guardian 'anonymous sources' seem to have gone very, very quiet - as they were clearly false), whilst pro-leavers are trying to bury the story without recognising that's he's been lacking in any form of dignity with how he's dealt with the situation.

* Even if I have political agreements with him in some, but certainly not all, areas, I genuinely think he's a sociopathic lunatic lacking in empathy who's probably killed and buried countless people on his father's estate.

(RE: The A+E / Covid thing - it's not actually prohibited - if there's a serious threat to life, or if 111 / a medical practioner advise, you're perfectly entitled to go to casualty whilst symptomatic. They will advise you which hospitals / health facilities to go to, as some A+E departments are not admitting - from his statement, if true, the son was actually taken to hospital by ambulance following a 999 call and it was his wife who went with him - that's not his fault, presumably?).

EphemeristX

Post by EphemeristX » 28 May 2020, 10:17

Crutey Anth wrote:
28 May 2020, 07:34
I was wondering this morning when USA and UK diverged so much in terms of...I don't know 'culture/attitude''?

UK: Government aide drives up the country when he had coronavirus...and went for a drive when he recovered to check his eyesight hadn't been effected. It's a HUGE story.

US: Citizens being killed by police, President accusing newsreaders of murder, threatens to go after social media companies....I was reading quite a few people worried about a coup after the upcoming election.

'Two nations separated by a common language' and all that.

It's almost like Izzard's UK vs US drama sketch but in real life https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N0onquIv89g
When you run your election like a reality show, is it any surprise that a reality show host wins? We need serious election and campaign reform in the US.
http://dancehall-daze.tumblr.com

"Take your baby by the ears
And play upon her darkest fears"

das_boot

Post by das_boot » 28 May 2020, 11:22

@ Spectral, Sorry no. The advice was clear.
-if you think you have it, stay at home (which he’s failed to do on several counts— both travelling across the country, then going for a sight-seeing visit to Barnard Castle)
-don’t travel extreme distances
- advice previously stated that if a person needed to leave the house for an extended period (cool off after an argument, escape a situation where DV is a real threat) then that’s permissible— but he had a support network in London so that’s not acceptable.
-he and his wife both lied (him through his blog, her through her magazine article) about what they’d been up to
-lied and said that they hadn’t had contact with the police when it turns out that the police DID come to speak to his family

Not to mention that when he was previously up to activity that got him investigated, he took revenge on the whistle-blower by arranging that his sexual orientation be outed to the press, knowing that this man was from a family setting where his sexual orientation could have come with either being totally disowned. That’s vindictive casual racism and homophobia, and he’s just a vile human to consider that’s acceptable to someone who used to work for you who found what you were doing to be immoral and illegal.

At the end of the day, any person working for government has to be held to a higher standard. Whether you’re a politician, advisor, mayor or local councillor, you simply cannot look at a situation where the general public are being asked to sacrifice personal freedoms and think “that doesn’t apply to me”. My family and friends live within 15 miles of me and I haven’t broken lockdown to see them. Several Tory MPs were out for blood when it came out that Sturgeon’s advisor had breached lockdown by going to her second home. These SAME MPs are now defending Cummings. Every single person in a public office who have broken lockdown should lose their job. It’s that simple. This “do as we say, not as we do, because everything that we do to break advice, we’ll just create a loophole unless you’re on the opposite end of the political spectrum to us LOL”.

Spectral, I’m trying to be respectful of our political differences, but I absolutely cannot condone his behaviour and see it as nothing short of absolute contempt for the British public. His lack of apology, his absolute arrogance... no. He needs to get in the bin.
ASPIRING WRITERS!

Spectral Knight

Post by Spectral Knight » 28 May 2020, 11:55

Couple of things...

One, the advice while clear, also does contain the provisions that childcare needs can mean compliance with that guidance is not possible. If he's using that as a 'loophole', the loophole was clear from the outset, and is available for ALL OF US to use. Then it comes down to morality in using a defined loophole. For me, he breached the spirit of the rules, but not the rules themselves. So then it comes down to a moral consideration - is it right to breach the spirit of the rules? I'd still say no, but many would say if the rules have been designed with those explicit provisions, it's not a breach at all.

Like I said, I don't like the guy. I really don't. But it's one of these things where I think there's been a clamouring from so many people who haven't even read the government guidance that's been published and consequently being pushed as an 'us' and 'them' story.
If Joe Bloggs did the same actions and was penalised for it, then I'd have some sympathy, but I've not seen evidence that it's the case. In most instances, people are angry because they've complied with the guidance, not that they tried to use the loophole and were penalised for it.

I should add that have read in a couple of places that his son is autistic (though this doesn't appear to appear in the high profile press, potentially out of concern for privacy) adding to his vulnerability and therefore offering more leeway but if this is the case, dumping him on someone he doesn't know versus dumping him on his cousins should they be unable to have cared for him, cousins who he would presumably have known does sound more reasonable - albeit to a non-parent(!).

The contact with the police is a funny one. The Govt said the police hadn't been in contact regarding 'these matters' i.e. coronavirus breaches. Durham Constabulary admitted they were in contact with the family (but only because Dominic's father contacted them re: security concerns) but that they did NOT provide any guidance/feedback on the coronavirus or quarantine rules (leaking this out only just before Cummings was due to give his statement on Sunday). So yes, the police spoke to them, but not about a breach of lockdown, and only at the invitation of the family.

With all that in mind - yes, he clearly broke guidelines for wandering around the castle (though supposedly after 14 days of isolation, and no longer showing Covid symptoms), and yes, he was a fecking idiot going back into work for a day after showing symptoms initially, but I think, as with most of these things, such a partisan division on prior political grounds that it's either overblown or simply brushed under the carpet. He should've made a grovelling apology on those errors, but there should also be a degree of sense about what was primarily parental instincts in the initial move up north. This isn't him wanting to cop off with a mistress or anything.

The lack of dignity and admission of the errors he did make means that there's far more critique of errors that aren't actually errors, unless you're arguing the spirit of the rules vs the actual rules.