Welcome to unstablemolecules.com, the discussion home for mightyavengers.net, uncanon.com and uncannyxmen.net!

Re: Random Thoughts

Level 01: Get to know the other posters better. What do they do when they don't read comics?
Cable

Re: Re: Random Thoughts

Post by Cable » 11 Sep 2022, 15:27

Is anyone else here a 4townie?
Best Comics of Week 48

X-titles: X-Terminators #3 by Leah Williams (1) and Carlos Gomez (1)
Non-X titles: Strange #8 by Jed MacKay (6) and Stefano Landini (3)

In parentheses number of times creator had best comic this year

EphemeristX

Post by EphemeristX » 11 Sep 2022, 16:14

What's a 4townie?
I really wanna blow your mind
but I haven't got the time.

Cable

Post by Cable » 11 Sep 2022, 16:28

Fans of the boy band 4Town. Which isn't a real band. But they are in the movie Turning Red and my daughter has made me listen to these songs so many times that I find myself singing them more than her now.
Best Comics of Week 48

Blackcyclops

Post by Blackcyclops » 11 Sep 2022, 16:30

I know what it is...but I like the way this conversation is going...

If this was a TV show, it would be a swipe cut and then everything would be revealed but in a hilarious way...
So on one hand we have the existence of a being who can reset the entire timeline, destroying everything…, and on the other hand we have a few mind wipes and some gaslighting. You're right, totally evenly weighted.
-Cly

Cable

Post by Cable » 11 Sep 2022, 16:38

They only have three songs, that one and this one and this one. The songs were actually written by Billy Eilish and her brother in an intentional (and I would say completely successful) attempt to emulate boy bands of the early 2000s.
Best Comics of Week 48

EvilMonkeyPope

Post by EvilMonkeyPope » 11 Sep 2022, 17:50

4Town is fine but it's no DuJour.

Please participate in this Petsch Phoenix poll: https://twitter.com/MattTheCatania/stat ... 8044268546

das_boot

Post by das_boot » 11 Sep 2022, 20:37

I voted but I don’t know who she is
Sinister’s Lab now secretly altering other player’s posts in the RPG section

tokenBG1009

Post by tokenBG1009 » 12 Sep 2022, 04:57

So, I've been on vacation since 9/1 and boy will I never go on vacation again. I tried edibles/weed for the first time. Took entirely too much for a first time and ended up just fucked up out of my mind the entire night and most of the next day. We stayed at a night B&B a few hours away for our anniversary. We were there three days and it was basically laying in bed as I tried to get back to being a functional person. There was a brief period the second morning I felt fine, but then I got hit HARD again. If you're ever curious, a first timer is recommended to take 5 mg. I took 25 mg. My girlfriend was okay after the first night, but damn was I just done. Anyways, our time at the B&B was basically spent in bed and trying to sleep because I also forgot my CPAP.

Anyways, we get home Saturday afternoon and Sunday the girlfriend starts feeling unwell. Scratchy throat and all those fun things. Both of us got COVID tests on Tuesday, both came back negative so yay. We've both taken a few at home ones as well. Regardless, she's been sick since Monday which made all our day trip plans just a wash. Then Friday I start getting sick and I've been floating between functional and dead.

Oh, also, our outside cat went outside Saturday night and hasn't been back. Normally he returns the next morning for breakfast, but didn't show up for any meals so now we're worried that he might be dead.
"Sometimes I do feel like I'm a failure. Like there's no hope for me. But even so, I'm not gonna give up. Ever!" -Izuku Midoriya

EphemeristX

Post by EphemeristX » 12 Sep 2022, 06:25

Dude, that's basically everyone's first mistake on edibles. Glad you don't have Covid; hope the cat's okay.

But hell, dude, you got quite a story out of this little misadventure.

tokenBG1009

Post by tokenBG1009 » 12 Sep 2022, 06:33

I say I'd try edibles again, but that first experience was BAD. Rationally, I know part of it was I was already tired from the drive and I hadn't eaten anything in hours and wouldn't for almost another two hours after. Drinking on an empty stomach will fuck anyone up. Getting high on one probably isn't helping anyone.
"Sometimes I do feel like I'm a failure. Like there's no hope for me. But even so, I'm not gonna give up. Ever!" -Izuku Midoriya

EvilMonkeyPope

Post by EvilMonkeyPope » 12 Sep 2022, 06:50

das_boot wrote:
11 Sep 2022, 20:37
I voted but I don’t know who she is
She's an acting person.

tokenBG1009

Post by tokenBG1009 » 12 Sep 2022, 07:48

I voted for Madalyne. She'd be fantastic as Goblin Queen in my opinion.

das_boot

Post by das_boot » 12 Sep 2022, 17:47

tokenBG1009 wrote:
12 Sep 2022, 06:33
I say I'd try edibles again, but that first experience was BAD. Rationally, I know part of it was I was already tired from the drive and I hadn't eaten anything in hours and wouldn't for almost another two hours after. Drinking on an empty stomach will fuck anyone up. Getting high on one probably isn't helping anyone.
Oh you sweet summer child.

Speaking of idiot mistakes, I walked my dog today and left my glasses (which I need for my eyes to work) at home, and as such did not manage to avoid my demonic ex and ended up convening dog walking paths for a good mile and a half.

I even audibly “FFS”ed when I realised it was him and he STILL took that as a cue to try to be friendly to me EVEN WHEN I WAS GIVING ONE WORD ANSWERS AND BEING FROSTY.

tokenBG1009

Post by tokenBG1009 » 13 Sep 2022, 12:43

Good news! Our cat returned today. Fucker walks in like he hadn't been gone for two damn days, ate some food, and was ready to go back out again. Asshole.

EphemeristX

Post by EphemeristX » 13 Sep 2022, 14:22

He probably has a second home somewhere. Cats will do that.

Blackcyclops

Post by Blackcyclops » 13 Sep 2022, 15:06

EphemeristX wrote:
13 Sep 2022, 14:22

So you're saying cats are like ain't shit men? LOL
So on one hand we have the existence of a being who can reset the entire timeline, destroying everything…, and on the other hand we have a few mind wipes and some gaslighting. You're right, totally evenly weighted.
-Cly

tokenBG1009

Post by tokenBG1009 » 13 Sep 2022, 21:47

EphemeristX wrote:
13 Sep 2022, 14:22
This was my theory. My girlfriend didn't believe it.

EvilMonkeyPope

Post by EvilMonkeyPope » 13 Sep 2022, 23:50

Why are tomcats great until they gotta be great?

Spectral Knight

Post by Spectral Knight » 14 Sep 2022, 13:09

Bloody hell, us Brits are a morbid bunch. Miles of queues for a quick nod of the head to a coffin. Nope, not for me.

I think the longest I've ever queued for something was 2 and a bit hours, which is amateurish by our standards, but at least that was for something fun.

Blackcyclops

Post by Blackcyclops » 14 Sep 2022, 14:37

It was something similar to that here when FDR, JFK, and MLK Jr. all died.
-Cly

Spectral Knight

Post by Spectral Knight » 14 Sep 2022, 15:18

It reeks of performative grief and wanting to be part of something bigger for me.

Don't get me wrong, funerals are, by their nature, somewhat emotional, but I can't quite get my head around people doing that, and some of the inane commentary that goes along with it. Some eejit was saying on the TV something along the lines of, "I'd have regretted if I never came down for it, this is history".

Eeugh. I mean, seriously? What's wrong with watching it on the box for a bit and then getting on with your lives.

Blackcyclops

Post by Blackcyclops » 14 Sep 2022, 15:42

Well my grandparents (both sets)took my parents to watch MLK’s funeral parade. I can’t say they would say it was performative and there’s nothing inherently wrong with wanting to be part of something bigger.

My one grandmother also lined up to watch the train car transporting FDR’s remains. She said it was the first time she able to be that close to someone white and hold their hand because the lady next to her was crying alongside her mother. So I’m not going to poo-poo how people manifest grief. It seems reductive and kinda performative in a hipster too-cool-for-school kind of way. Obviously some people are doing something just to do it but communal feelings of grief (and outrage) can be useful.
-Cly

Spectral Knight

Post by Spectral Knight » 14 Sep 2022, 16:06

I WISH I was a hipster, though I am far too cool (well, old) for school. Unless it's the school of hard knocks at the university of life.

das_boot

Post by das_boot » 14 Sep 2022, 19:00

Blackcyclops wrote:
14 Sep 2022, 14:37
It was something similar to that here when FDR, JFK, and MLK Jr. all died.
Okay. But here’s the thing— it’s the most British thing ever.

THE QUEUE will not accept any more people once it reaches five miles in length. THE QUEUE has toilets and water stations and food vans. THE QUEUE has wrist bands. You may not leave THE QUEUE other than to use the toilet or get water. You may not hold a place for people within THE QUEUE. I believe THE QUEUE has a Twitter and a YouTube. You cannot bring sleeping bags or chairs to THE QUEUE so there is actually a real material risk of someone in THE QUEUE needing medical attention at some point due to lack of sleep or instantaneous development of galactic level varicose veins. One you reach the front of THE QUEUE you will walk around the queen’s coffin and you’ll be out again in around a minute. People are expected to be in THE QUEUE for upwards of two days.

THERE IS ONLY THE QUEUE NOW.

I honestly am so not okay with this forced period of mourning anymore. I’m all for showing respect but this is going crazy now. A popular holiday resort have had to issue a public statement saying that they’re no longer going to ask guests to leave their accommodation on the day of the funeral, find alternative places to stay, and then come back the next day to continue their holiday.

Supermarkets are going to close altogether or re-open at 5PM.

We’re in the middle of one of the biggest economic crises to face our country and FOODBANKS are going to be closed on the day of the funeral.

PEOPLE HAVE HAD TO BE TOLD TO STOP LEAVING MARMALADE SANDWICHES OUT ON THE STREETS BECAUSE THE RATS ARE EATING THEM.

I KNOW WE ARE MEANT TO BE A NATION OF ECCENTRICS BUT COME THE FUCK ON

Spectral Knight

Post by Spectral Knight » 14 Sep 2022, 19:10

What annoys me is the "showing of respect" borders the near-disrespectful too! The day old Big Ears found out the matriarch had passed and he'd got his promotion, he was out meeting the crowds outside Buckingham Palace, whilst obviously (and understandably) shook up and in mourning. The amount of "well-wishers" pushing to the front with their cameras right up his nose, it was seriously cringe. It was like paparazzi trying to grab an upskirt of some D list reality star. Just totally awful...
I mean, if you are that arsed about it, shake his hand, offer your condolences, and feck off... you really don't need video footage of his nostril hair the day after his mother died. So classless.

I'm convinced many of our fellow country men and women are actually INSANE.