Welcome to unstablemolecules.com!

Random Thoughts

Level 01: Get to know the other posters better. What do they do when they don't read comics?
RingOtaku

Re: Random Thoughts

Post by RingOtaku » 27 Sep 2017, 21:58

I always imagined Logan's claws to be dual-edged like a European sword. So he can slash at various angles.
Check Out Recruitment Drive: https://www.createspace.com/6339770

D20 Roulette: A Podcast of Geeks and Raging. https://soundcloud.com/d20roulette

Pro Wrestling: Everything awesomely camp about super-hero fights, but with aging and music.

Anna Raven

Post by Anna Raven » 28 Sep 2017, 03:20

Every artist draws them a little different, but this is traditionally how I think of them. Notice the flat edge that runs on top, making the bottom the "cutty-side".

X-Men 1872: Rogue|Deadpool|Old Man Logan|Moonstar|San Francisco(HQ)|Thunderbird I|Cecilia Reyes|Stacy X|Lady Deathstrike|Mariko Yashida|Scorpion Boy

Exiles: Nocturne|Ultimate Thor|1602 Matthew Murdoch|Kurt Waggoner|Colossus (BotA)|BB-8

tokenBG1009

Post by tokenBG1009 » 28 Sep 2017, 07:28

^ This is how I've always interpreted them
eXiles Draft: Frenzy (Age of X), Basilisk (Age of X), Howlett (XXM), Hercules (XXM), Longshot (Mojoverse), Mojo (Free Agent)

Nu-D

Post by Nu-D » 28 Sep 2017, 16:18

Most artists draw them with the sharp edge on the palm side, and the squared edge on the top, but curving down on the palm side like a curved machete (the opposite of a scimitar).

However, bitd, lots of artists drew them like they were round stock, tapered to a point and curved down palmward. Mike Zeck in particular made them look round. It never made much sense, since slashing was more common than piercing, but there you have it.
Screen Shot 2017-09-28 at 12.19.27.png
Screen Shot 2017-09-28 at 12.19.27.png (124.5 KiB) Viewed 331 times
Or Ron Lim’s rendition of the skeleton from What If the X-men Lost Inferno:
Screen Shot 2017-09-28 at 12.22.54.png
Screen Shot 2017-09-28 at 12.22.54.png (762.29 KiB) Viewed 329 times

RingOtaku

Post by RingOtaku » 28 Sep 2017, 17:11

I cringe everytime "Hank hit Janet" is brought up. Everytime it's held against him. Really Secret Empire? I've read the issue, I've seen the scene in context. It was an accidental single blow from a guy who was not in his right mind. It is not the equivalent of a man repeatedly hitting his wife over and over because "my dinner was on the table five minutes late". I just want that piece of history to die off. Just ONCE I want the major Avengers to look at Pym and be like "Honestly, we're assholes for holding this against you all these years. No wonder you have self-esteem issues, everyone you care about treats you like shit while we all do far worse things on the moral scale."

Pro Wrestling: Everything awesomely camp about super-hero fights, but with aging and music.

Blackcyclops

Post by Blackcyclops » 28 Sep 2017, 17:34

Nu-D wrote:
28 Sep 2017, 16:18
Most artists draw them with the sharp edge on the palm side, and the squared edge on the top, but curving down on the palm side like a curved machete (the opposite of a scimitar).

However, bitd, lots of artists drew them like they were round stock, tapered to a point and curved down palmward. Mike Zeck in particular made them look round. It never made much sense, since slashing was more common than piercing, but there you have it.Screen Shot 2017-09-28 at 12.19.27.png

Or Ron Lim’s rendition of the skeleton from What If the X-men Lost Inferno:Screen Shot 2017-09-28 at 12.22.54.png
Yeah the top is how I always envision them...making hnem like skewers just seems weird.

At least his claws are more consistent than Batman’s ears or Spidey’s web.
I'm Team Remender, Waid, Hickman and Gillen

My X-Men Draft Picks:
Prof. X, Legion, Polaris, Quicksilver, Meggan, Deadpool, Pixie, and Danger

Nu-D

Post by Nu-D » 28 Sep 2017, 19:30

Well, looking back, Cockrum's take right from the beginning was actually the opposite of the modern version. A cross-section profile is almost D-shaped, with the round side facing up and the flat side facing the same as the palm. Two panels from the same page of GSXM #1:
Screen Shot 2017-09-28 at 15.23.11.png
Screen Shot 2017-09-28 at 15.23.11.png (155.97 KiB) Viewed 316 times
Screen Shot 2017-09-28 at 15.23.02.png
Screen Shot 2017-09-28 at 15.23.02.png (218.26 KiB) Viewed 316 times
There are plenty of similar examples.

What's interesting is that this is essentially the shape of my dog's claws. They're flat on the bottom, curved on top, and come to a not-very-sharp point.

Cat's claws are more like pointed skewers, with a round profile. Maybe that's what John Byrne was thinking of...

Nu-D

Post by Nu-D » 28 Sep 2017, 19:32

Screen Shot 2017-09-28 at 15.20.00.png
Screen Shot 2017-09-28 at 15.20.00.png (269.3 KiB) Viewed 314 times
Screen Shot 2017-09-28 at 15.26.30.png
Screen Shot 2017-09-28 at 15.26.30.png (552.3 KiB) Viewed 314 times

Nu-D

Post by Nu-D » 28 Sep 2017, 19:33

But by the late 80's we had Art Adams drawing knives, like we all expect these days:
Screen Shot 2017-09-28 at 15.21.05.png
Screen Shot 2017-09-28 at 15.21.05.png (151.57 KiB) Viewed 314 times

tokenBG1009

Post by tokenBG1009 » 29 Sep 2017, 02:23

RingOtaku wrote:
28 Sep 2017, 17:11
I cringe everytime "Hank hit Janet" is brought up. Everytime it's held against him. Really Secret Empire? I've read the issue, I've seen the scene in context. It was an accidental single blow from a guy who was not in his right mind. It is not the equivalent of a man repeatedly hitting his wife over and over because "my dinner was on the table five minutes late". I just want that piece of history to die off. Just ONCE I want the major Avengers to look at Pym and be like "Honestly, we're assholes for holding this against you all these years. No wonder you have self-esteem issues, everyone you care about treats you like shit while we all do far worse things on the moral scale."
Is there anything that has detailed a character so hard?
eXiles Draft: Frenzy (Age of X), Basilisk (Age of X), Howlett (XXM), Hercules (XXM), Longshot (Mojoverse), Mojo (Free Agent)

Blackcyclops

Post by Blackcyclops » 29 Sep 2017, 02:38

I kinda do like the curved claws too

My X-Men Draft Picks:

RingOtaku

Post by RingOtaku » 29 Sep 2017, 03:09

tokenBG1009 wrote:
29 Sep 2017, 02:23
RingOtaku wrote:
28 Sep 2017, 17:11
Is there anything that has detailed a character so hard?
Dunno about comics at large but I don't know anyone in Marvel who seems to always get derailed whenever they get a good buildup by a writer. It's like editorial hates Hank Pym. "Yes he's inspired several other heroes and passed on identities to them... but remind folks he's the second-rate scientist of the team and prone to wife-beating and nervous breakdowns!" I actually thought Ultron-Pym was right in Secret Empire there and Tony was the jerk. Hank didn't wreck the family, them being unable to give him the forgiveness every other Avenger has gotten wrecked the family.

tokenBG1009

Post by tokenBG1009 » 29 Sep 2017, 05:01

Hank is the eternal punching bag of the Avengers it seems. I keep thinking of the panel where Hank is talking to Reed and defending himself with his creation of Pym Particles, only for Reed to state that they both know Reed knows Pym Particles better than Hank.

Blackcyclops

Post by Blackcyclops » 29 Sep 2017, 11:32

So besides Gifted, any new tv shows anybody looking forward to?

I can’t wait to see who’s going to be on this season of The Feud (last season was soooo good).

I will watch White Famous to see if it can replace the Carmichael Show in my heart. The Carmichael Show is the sociopolitical sitcom for people of all stripes and is stunningly hilarious

My X-Men Draft Picks:

Cable

Post by Cable » 29 Sep 2017, 11:42

Blackcyclops wrote:
29 Sep 2017, 11:32
So besides Gifted, any new tv shows anybody looking forward to?

I can’t wait to see who’s going to be on this season of The Feud (last season was soooo good).

I will watch White Famous to see if it can replace the Carmichael Show in my heart. The Carmichael Show is the sociopolitical sitcom for people of all stripes and is stunningly hilarious
I notice you left off Inhumans...
Rank your favorite characters in the X-Men Character Sorter! Share your results!

"If life were a picnic, you'd be a family. Since life is war, you're soldiers. You'd do well to start accepting that fact."--Nathan Summers

Blackcyclops

Post by Blackcyclops » 29 Sep 2017, 11:44

Cause I know you all hate them lol...

I left off Runaways and Cloak and Dagger too but I just disnt feel like listing all the comic book shows lol

My X-Men Draft Picks:

_Rick_

Post by _Rick_ » 29 Sep 2017, 13:57

I've been pleasantly surprised by The Orville. I thought it was just going to be a cringy parody... and it certainly has its moments... but the show actually captures a lot of the optimistic elements of the early Star Trek better than most recent attempts have done. Star Trek (ish) shows always have shaky starts and tend to take a while to find their groove so if the current trend of improving with each episode continues, it can actually become really good. Hopefully Fox doesn't nix it.

Also... I know BC said other than the Gifted... but I'm really excited for that. The stuff coming out recently looks really good. They're digging deep into X-men lore.
Cable wrote:
29 Sep 2017, 11:42
I notice you left off Inhumans...
Blackcyclops wrote:
29 Sep 2017, 11:44
Honestly, not liking the Inhumans might be the better position to enjoy the show. I dislike them and that had a lot to do why I enjoyed the way they were portayed. YMMV of course. Can't say I'm excited for it though. It has problems. Lots of problems. I'll probably give it a 3 episode try just to be fair. They've already said they'll add a couple of scenes after the poor reception on IMAX so my opinion might change (though some of the problems can't be fixed by adding stuff).

Blackcyclops

Post by Blackcyclops » 29 Sep 2017, 14:13

I just hate Seth McFarlen (sp) too much to even watch it lol

Yeah I do look forward to The Gifted.

I want to give Dynasty a shot...I really like Riverdale and always love a little primetime soap opera (see: Jane the Virgin.

Speaking of new shows that have already premiered: The Deuce is really good. I love the grit and how it depicts sex, in a very non-glamourized (but not necessarily puritanical judgey vibe either) way.

Ken Burn’s Vietnam War doc is also amazing so far...

My X-Men Draft Picks:

RingOtaku

Post by RingOtaku » 29 Sep 2017, 14:25

I dont' hate the Inhumans. I'll give the show a fair chance. Honestly though I just want confirmation on season 4 of Lucha Underground. I mean we just started the multi-part season finale. If 3 is the end I'll be so sad.

tokenBG1009

Post by tokenBG1009 » 29 Sep 2017, 15:36

Definitely The Gifted, but I'm excited for Inhumans tonight. I honestly think if they hadn't been so BIG about it that it would receive a warmer reception.

I also think a more "Gotham" style show would have been better. Marvel's own GoT where we get some political intrigue involving the Inhumans past would have been better. I think Inhumans, books and show, has the best chance at Marvel of doing that. It would make it more than a replacement X-Men franchise.

Nu-D

Post by Nu-D » 29 Sep 2017, 16:22

I hate The Orville.

It’s too straight to be a good parody, and too goofy to be taken straight.

It’s telling that so many of the reviews refer to it as an “homage” and then criticize it for being too campy or silly.

Cable

Post by Cable » 29 Sep 2017, 16:28

Blackcyclops wrote:
29 Sep 2017, 11:44

I left off Runaways and Cloak and Dagger too but I just disnt feel like listing all the comic book shows lol
Funny story...there is a girl I am sort of dating (we have been on one date) and I told her Inhumans was premiering and she asked what it is. I said a Marvel Comics show and her exact question was "Are they like mutants?" #triggered :x

But I don't really hate them! :P
Rank your favorite characters in the X-Men Character Sorter! Share your results!

"If life were a picnic, you'd be a family. Since life is war, you're soldiers. You'd do well to start accepting that fact."--Nathan Summers

_Rick_

Post by _Rick_ » 29 Sep 2017, 16:31

Blackcyclops wrote:
29 Sep 2017, 14:13
I just hate Seth McFarlen (sp) too much to even watch it lol
You hate the person or his work? I'm not a super fan of his previous stuff as well (I can only take so many cringy jokes), hence why I was skeptical at first, but while it has some of his typical humour, he actually keeps it somewhat restrained (the pilot being the exception). Ironically, a lot of critics felt negative about that: it doesn't feel like family guy enough for them. If that's the problem I'd say to give it a shot.

The marketing focused a lot on the comedy aspect but it's more a light hearted action adventure show. It's basically Star Trek if we were following one of the less important ships with a less professional crew. They all still have their talents... but most have flaws that make them not the first choice for the elite people that a flagship would need. They act more like normal coworkers who joke, gossip, get excited etc. rather than military personel in the sterile environment that Star Trek got us used to. There's a lot of little references for Trek fans as well.
Nu-D wrote:
29 Sep 2017, 16:22
I hate The Orville.

It’s telling that so many of the reviews refer to it as an “homage” and then criticize it for being too campy or silly.
Are you basing it on the pilot or have you seen the latest episodes? The pilot had a bit too much goofiness but the last 2 episodes in particular weren't that goofy. The formula seems to be a goofy joke to start then a couple of more subdued ones through the rest of the episode that mostly have to do with them not being the most professional.
tokenBG1009 wrote:
29 Sep 2017, 15:36
Definitely The Gifted, but I'm excited for Inhumans tonight. I honestly think if they hadn't been so BIG about it that it would receive a warmer reception.

I also think a more "Gotham" style show would have been better. Marvel's own GoT where we get some political intrigue involving the Inhumans past would have been better. I think Inhumans, books and show, has the best chance at Marvel of doing that. It would make it more than a replacement X-Men franchise.
The IMAX release didn't help for sure. People have different expectactions for something that you watch at home and something that you have to pay to watch at an IMAX movie theather. I get that IMAX payed for some of it, but Marvel shot themselves in the foot with that one. It's no wonder that critics went so strong against it. With that said, it doesn't deserve the 0% that it had on rotten tomatoes for a while. There are some redeeming qualities. I'm not sure if they're enough. I'm interested in how they edit it differently for TV though.
Last edited by _Rick_ on 29 Sep 2017, 16:36, edited 1 time in total.

Blackcyclops

Post by Blackcyclops » 29 Sep 2017, 16:32

Nu-D wrote:
29 Sep 2017, 16:22
I hate The Orville.

So one for and one against...both from people I almost always disagree with lol...so any other opinions on it?

@Rivk: I don’t mind him much but I just really dislike Family Guy, Ted and The Cleveland Show (I did enjoy American Dad).

My X-Men Draft Picks:

AntiBody

Post by AntiBody » 29 Sep 2017, 23:35

I have yet to see any episode past the pilot, but I like The Orville. I kind of like the balance of immature humor and genuine Star Trek spirit. For once, MacFarlane isn't being completely irreverent toward one of his childhood loves - he's actually honoring it in his own way.

I get the distaste for him, I really do, but his mindless, wantonly dirty stuff is great for decompressing after a long, tiring day/week/month for me lol
Avengers Draft: Adam Warlock, Nova (Richard Rider), Quasar, Alex Power, Mantis, Drax, Firelord, Starhawk, Dragon Man

X-Men Draft 2.0: Base: Celestial Ship; Team: Sunspot, Binary, Blink, Darkstar, Warlock, Korvus, Darwin, Lilandra, Guardian, Trance