Welcome to unstablemolecules.com!

Random Thoughts

Level 01: Get to know the other posters better. What do they do when they don't read comics?
EphemeristX

Re: Random Thoughts

Post by EphemeristX » 02 Feb 2018, 04:11

You get really really cold, and then you get really really hot and start taking your clothes off. And then you get sleepy. Not the worst, honestly.
http://dancehall-daze.tumblr.com

"Take your baby by the ears
And play upon her darkest fears"

Nu-D

Post by Nu-D » 02 Feb 2018, 16:04

EphemeristX wrote:
02 Feb 2018, 04:11
You get really really cold, and then you get really really hot and start taking your clothes off. And then you get sleepy. Not the worst, honestly.
Maybe not the worst, but don’t minimize the miserable suffering of severe hypothermia. It is a horrible way to die that can drag on for hours and days and involve excruciating pain.

Gomurr the Ancient

Post by Gomurr the Ancient » 03 Feb 2018, 06:15

The Onion's take a certain type of comic reader:

https://local.theonion.com/man-prefers- ... ssion=true
Take it from me -- One doesn't become Gomurr the Ancient by keeping one's eyes clenched shut. First and foremost, you have to be named Gomurr. Then you have to get really, really old.

Anna Raven

Post by Anna Raven » 03 Feb 2018, 07:12

Gomurr the Ancient wrote:
03 Feb 2018, 06:15
The Onion's take a certain type of comic reader:

https://local.theonion.com/man-prefers- ... ssion=true
That was great!! :lol:
Guardians Draft Results: Silver Surfer|Groot|Lockjaw|Nova (Sam)|Smasher|The Uranian|The Beyonders (nemesis)|Korg|Miek|Deathcry

Nu-D

Post by Nu-D » 03 Feb 2018, 12:07

I watched the first half of the first X-men movie last night. It’s really very terrible. The acting, directing, writing and effects are b-movie throughout, hardly better than a 90’s TV show. Hell, the current slate of CW shows are better in just about every dimension. And some of the continuity changes are gratuitous. Why is Jean a doctor? I didn’t like it much when it was released, haven’t rewatched it since, and then I’m not sure I’ll finish watching this second time. Just garbage.

EvilMonkeyPope

Post by EvilMonkeyPope » 03 Feb 2018, 13:22

Jean was a doctor because they didn't have a budget for Beast.

_Rick_

Post by _Rick_ » 03 Feb 2018, 18:58

Nu-D wrote:
03 Feb 2018, 12:07
I watched the first half of the first X-men movie last night. It’s really very terrible. The acting, directing, writing and effects are b-movie throughout, hardly better than a 90’s TV show. Hell, the current slate of CW shows are better in just about every dimension. And some of the continuity changes are gratuitous. Why is Jean a doctor? I didn’t like it much when it was released, haven’t rewatched it since, and then I’m not sure I’ll finish watching this second time. Just garbage.
Well, the movie was literally made last century. Of course it shows its age. Not only that, at the time, the genre wasn't taken very seriously. Remember... it released only 3 years after "Batman and Robin", a movie that was slammed so hard by everyone that many people thought superhero movies were non-viable investments and proclaimed the genre to be dead. Say what you will about the first x-men movie, but historically, the superhero genre has a lot to thank it for. I doubt that we would be where we are right now without it. It was a really steep hill to climb.

Plus, it's a bit unfair to compare the effects to modern day. If you want to compare it to CW shows you'd have to compare it to the shows that were airing at the time (those would be the early seasons of Buffy or Charmed). Compared to those, the movie is a wonder in terms of special effects. We tend to underplay how much the technology has evolved in the last 2 decades.

EvilMonkeyPope

Post by EvilMonkeyPope » 03 Feb 2018, 21:15

Blade never gets its due.

tokenBG1009

Post by tokenBG1009 » 03 Feb 2018, 22:10

EvilMonkeyPope wrote:
03 Feb 2018, 21:15
Jesus, Blade came out in 1998. I agree with EMP.

Then again I think Blade succeeded because people really weren't aware it was a comic book movie. X-Men was the first modern Marvel comic book movie that was a popular franchise.

Looking at movies that came out within a year of X-Men the biggest live-action movies were probably Star Wars: Episode I and The Matrix. Mystique's shape-shifting alone was more impressive than just about anything in the Matrix and TPM was visually impressive but was 90% CGI.

Acting wise? Halle Berry and James Marsden constantly got the short end of the stick, so this can be blamed on poor writing. At no point in the almost 20 years of X-Men has anyone ever said: "Ian McKellen and Patrick Stewart were terrible as Magneto and Professor X" and most of us are begging for Hugh Jackman to return as Wolverine in an Avengers movie.

It's probably just out of my top 10 superhero movies of all time and is far from perfect, but I don't think we have all of the amazing comic book movies we have today without X-Men showing it was even popular. (This again going with the theory Blade was successful because most weren't even aware it was a comic movie.)
eXiles Draft: Frenzy (Age of X), Basilisk (Age of X), Howlett (XXM), Hercules (XXM), Longshot (Mojoverse), Mojo (Free Agent), Scottius Summerisle (1602), John Grey (1602), Ultimate Wasp and Giant-Man

Cable

Post by Cable » 04 Feb 2018, 02:33

Rumors that Sony might be selling its own movie assets, and so Disney could be there to buy up more of its lost properties
Rank your favorite characters in the X-Men Character Sorter! Share your results!

"If life were a picnic, you'd be a family. Since life is war, you're soldiers. You'd do well to start accepting that fact."--Nathan Summers

RingOtaku

Post by RingOtaku » 04 Feb 2018, 17:03

tokenBG1009 wrote:
03 Feb 2018, 22:10
EvilMonkeyPope wrote:
03 Feb 2018, 21:15
Jesus, Blade came out in 1998. I agree with EMP.

Then again I think Blade succeeded because people really weren't aware it was a comic book movie. X-Men was the first modern Marvel comic book movie that was a popular franchise.

Looking at movies that came out within a year of X-Men the biggest live-action movies were probably Star Wars: Episode I and The Matrix. Mystique's shape-shifting alone was more impressive than just about anything in the Matrix and TPM was visually impressive but was 90% CGI.

Acting wise? Halle Berry and James Marsden constantly got the short end of the stick, so this can be blamed on poor writing. At no point in the almost 20 years of X-Men has anyone ever said: "Ian McKellen and Patrick Stewart were terrible as Magneto and Professor X" and most of us are begging for Hugh Jackman to return as Wolverine in an Avengers movie.

It's probably just out of my top 10 superhero movies of all time and is far from perfect, but I don't think we have all of the amazing comic book movies we have today without X-Men showing it was even popular. (This again going with the theory Blade was successful because most weren't even aware it was a comic movie.)
True. Blade was a comic book movie masquerading as an action/horror movie. Which is fine. I enjoy the trilogy. They are camp fun to watch. But because it wasn't hyped as "the comic book characters you know and love as REAL as it gets" you can't give Blade the nod for setting up the sub-genre we have now.
D20 Roulette: A Podcast of Geeks and Raging. https://rouletteproductions.com

Gibbering Fool

Post by Gibbering Fool » 05 Feb 2018, 10:41

Nu-D wrote:
03 Feb 2018, 12:07
Jean can't be a doctor? That's just sexist :-p. Seriously though I get that there's no basis in the comics but I van undersrand why. In the comic world we can let it slide that the X-men don't have jobs but in the real world charactets need careers. I guess they are teachers though. Budget and storywise they couldn't introduce another character simply to cover the doctor role needed to explain Wolverine and Senatie Kelly's mutation.

As for your review, I respect your opinion but disagree on everything

Gremlin

Post by Gremlin » 06 Feb 2018, 09:40

They switched Jean to the doctor because they originally wanted to use Beast but the budget wouldn't allow for him.
Everybody is entitled you their opinion...but yours is wrong.

Cable

Post by Cable » 06 Feb 2018, 11:34

How could this be too much for the budget?

Rank your favorite characters in the X-Men Character Sorter! Share your results!

"If life were a picnic, you'd be a family. Since life is war, you're soldiers. You'd do well to start accepting that fact."--Nathan Summers

Gibbering Fool

Post by Gibbering Fool » 06 Feb 2018, 11:37

Cable wrote:
06 Feb 2018, 11:34
How could this be too much for the budget?

It's a whole extra actor to pay for. Plus, who wants boring hairless Beast? Blue fur or nothing baby!

Cable

Post by Cable » 06 Feb 2018, 12:26

I never realized how ironic it is that fans liked Beast more after his transformation. It is completely antithetical to the theme of that story lol!

tokenBG1009

Post by tokenBG1009 » 06 Feb 2018, 13:22

Cable wrote:
06 Feb 2018, 12:26
I never realized how ironic it is that fans liked Beast more after his transformation. It is completely antithetical to the theme of that story lol!
Completely unrelated, but did you ever see The Force Awakens or The Last Jedi?
eXiles Draft: Frenzy (Age of X), Basilisk (Age of X), Howlett (XXM), Hercules (XXM), Longshot (Mojoverse), Mojo (Free Agent), Scottius Summerisle (1602), John Grey (1602), Ultimate Wasp and Giant-Man

Cable

Post by Cable » 06 Feb 2018, 15:05

tokenBG1009 wrote:
06 Feb 2018, 13:22
Cable wrote:
No, though I am aware of most of the plot.

tokenBG1009

Post by tokenBG1009 » 07 Feb 2018, 00:39

Cable wrote:
06 Feb 2018, 15:05
tokenBG1009 wrote:
Cable wrote:
I was just curious. We were talking about EU fans at work who swore not to see the Disney movies and I was reminded of you. The only thing I've been able to swear off is my favorite Indian restaurant. I'm impressed with you not giving in.

das_boot

Post by das_boot » 07 Feb 2018, 10:42

Cable wrote:
tokenBG1009 wrote:
Cable wrote:

AH! Cable, it’s you that’s the unapologetic fan of the prequel Star Wars, right? I was having a conversation the other day with someone about the prequels and how they were the worst things ever, and i’m pretty sure I word for word quoted you whilst defending them.

Incidentally, after having that discussion with you, I rewatched the prequels myself to see if I could see your point of view, and I surprised myself by actually agreeing with you on some points. I still don’t like them as much as the original trilogy, or even the new ones so far, but yeah. So i guess i’m saying you had a point two years ago if it was you I was talking to about it, but if not, I just sound like a moron now. HA HA HA HA SHUT UP DASBOOT
UNCANON WRITERS-- Kick me for feedback

"After all these years, how do you not instinctively fear me?" -- Veronica Mars

Cable

Post by Cable » 07 Feb 2018, 12:22

das_boot wrote:
07 Feb 2018, 10:42
Cable wrote:
tokenBG1009 wrote:

AH! Cable, it’s you that’s the unapologetic fan of the prequel Star Wars, right? I was having a conversation the other day with someone about the prequels and how they were the worst things ever, and i’m pretty sure I word for word quoted you whilst defending them.

Incidentally, after having that discussion with you, I rewatched the prequels myself to see if I could see your point of view, and I surprised myself by actually agreeing with you on some points. I still don’t like them as much as the original trilogy, or even the new ones so far, but yeah. So i guess i’m saying you had a point two years ago if it was you I was talking to about it, but if not, I just sound like a moron now. HA HA HA HA SHUT UP DASBOOT
Haha that was definitely me! Thanks

RingOtaku

Post by RingOtaku » 07 Feb 2018, 15:23

Yeah I enjoy the prequel trilogy myself. It has a lot of strengths to it. Though I don't put the original trilogy on this high pedestal either that makes it "untouchable".
D20 Roulette: A Podcast of Geeks and Raging. https://rouletteproductions.com

tokenBG1009

Post by tokenBG1009 » 07 Feb 2018, 15:44

The only movie of the Prequels I flat out don't like is The Phantom Menace. Episodes II and III are decent enough movies that suffer from some poor dialog, but decent overall stories.

Anna Raven

Post by Anna Raven » 07 Feb 2018, 17:29

Guardians Draft Results: Silver Surfer|Groot|Lockjaw|Nova (Sam)|Smasher|The Uranian|The Beyonders (nemesis)|Korg|Miek|Deathcry

Nu-D

Post by Nu-D » 07 Feb 2018, 18:35

Anna Raven wrote:
07 Feb 2018, 17:29
Natalie Portman approves: https://www.maxim.com/entertainment/nat ... snl-2018-2
With the notable exception of The Professional, that SNL skit is the only thing I’ve ever seen Portman do that was any good.