Welcome to unstablemolecules.com, the discussion home for mightyavengers.net, uncanon.com and uncannyxmen.net!

Re: Random Thoughts

Level 01: Get to know the other posters better. What do they do when they don't read comics?
Spectral Knight

Re: Re: Random Thoughts

Post by Spectral Knight » 27 Sep 2022, 16:08

I still haven't watched Mad Men, but I know I definitely want to get through it.

Yeah, Lost was definitely 'event TV' - particularly all the rumours / ideas / easter egg discussion online each week (shouout Lostpedia). Now THAT was a show that was rife with inconsistencies - they struggled after the writer's strike affected their momentum a bit and the 4th season was a bit patchy, pulled it back for five and then 6 was...not great.

das_boot

Post by das_boot » 27 Sep 2022, 16:16

I’m still super annoyed with how bad Heroes got after the writer’s strike.

From “no we’ve never read any comics so any resemblance to X-Men characters is total coincidence” to JUST how terrible it got? Ugh. Awful.

Also, to anyone British who went to Uni an indeterminate time ago to preserve the mystery of my actual age… I present… the “it’s a Scream” pig costume https://www.instagram.com/p/CjBDUOXNIXS ... MyMTA2M2Y=
Sinister’s Lab now secretly altering other player’s posts in the RPG section

EphemeristX

Post by EphemeristX » 27 Sep 2022, 16:30

The Heroes writers literally cribbed entire characters and power sets from a chat RP I was part of. "Empathic mimicry" my ass. The term did not exist until we coined it.
I really wanna blow your mind
but I haven't got the time.

Blackcyclops

Post by Blackcyclops » 27 Sep 2022, 16:42

EphemeristX wrote:
27 Sep 2022, 16:30
The Heroes writers literally cribbed entire characters and power sets from a chat RP I was part of. "Empathic mimicry" my ass. The term did not exist until we coined it.
WOW…

Heroes definitely had one of the worst dropoffs in TV history though.

It also spawned soooo many weak superpowered folks shows…like the one with Michael Chiklas and a fake Wolverine lol…although I did like that one one on scifi with Malik Yoba.
So on one hand we have the existence of a being who can reset the entire timeline, destroying everything…, and on the other hand we have a few mind wipes and some gaslighting. You're right, totally evenly weighted.
-Cly

Blackcyclops

Post by Blackcyclops » 27 Sep 2022, 22:32

I know this is a safe space…so I’m prepping myself to have a conversation with my daughter because today she found out one of her best friends committed suicide. She was just 13 yrs old…like I can’t imagine her parents’ pain right now. I’m trying to give my daughter time but we’re going to talk in a lil. But damn…and she was in the process of transitioning so I pray bullying wasn’t involved.
Last edited by Blackcyclops on 27 Sep 2022, 22:49, edited 1 time in total.
So on one hand we have the existence of a being who can reset the entire timeline, destroying everything…, and on the other hand we have a few mind wipes and some gaslighting. You're right, totally evenly weighted.
-Cly

EphemeristX

Post by EphemeristX » 27 Sep 2022, 22:37

Oh man. Dude, that's horrible. I'm so sorry.

Blackcyclops

Post by Blackcyclops » 27 Sep 2022, 22:50

Yeah…I see and know the statistics for suicidal tendencies and ideation for trans youth, particularly Black trans girls but stuff like that makes it so very tangible. And they were very best friends…and at that age, friends are like almost more important to you than family at times.
-Cly

Cable

Post by Cable » 27 Sep 2022, 23:04

I'm very sorry to hear that BC.

----------

Guess who is currently at Disney World while the parks are closed and the airport is closed due to a big hurricane smashing Florida?
<<<<<This guy.

Housekeeping just handed me a flashlight "for when the power goes out." They also said to put my balcony furniture in my room or else it will blow away. Awesome.
Best Comics of Week 48

X-titles: X-Terminators #3 by Leah Williams (1) and Carlos Gomez (1)
Non-X titles: Strange #8 by Jed MacKay (6) and Stefano Landini (3)

In parentheses number of times creator had best comic this year

Anna Raven

Post by Anna Raven » 28 Sep 2022, 03:53

One of my friends committed suicide when I was about 14 or 15. It's a pretty terrible experience. :(
Savage Avengers Draft: She-Hulk | Elektra | Echo | Gamora | Rogue | Chun Li | White Widow | Shuri

Spectral Knight

Post by Spectral Knight » 28 Sep 2022, 08:35

News of any suicide is horrid. Thoughts are with your daughter BC - hope she's as well as can be expected in hearing of such a tragedy.

das_boot

Post by das_boot » 28 Sep 2022, 12:00

Oh BC. I hate this for you and your daughter.

I experienced this slightly older than your daughter and totally different circumstances and while I’m going to give pointers, please don’t take this as me critiquing or teaching you how to parent.

-Let her know that whatever feelings she has about this are valid— except for perhaps the horrible voice in the back of her head telling her that she was either a terrible friend for not noticing, or that she should take similar actions. If she needs space, give her that. If she doesn’t, get a comfortable movie and comfort food and just let her know that you’re there.
-If she wants to talk, just listen. No matter how scary the things that she says are, you know that’s the anger and hurt talking, NOT your daughter. Don’t correct her. Don’t change the subject unless she wants to. Let her feel her feelings and acknowledge them (except for the two on my previous point).
-check whether her school has access to counsellors or therapists. Make her aware that those options are there and they’re there to help her if/when she’s ready
-however you and your wife are feeling about this? That’s for behind closed doors for now. It wouldn’t hurt to show your daughter that you empathise and feel her pain, but right now this needs to be all about her and her feelings.

Hugest of digital hugs to you and family BC.

AntiBody

Post by AntiBody » 28 Sep 2022, 15:01

Oh BC I am so sorry. That must be so hard for her, and also for you having to guide her through this. What a sad thing, my heart goes out to you friend. <3
he / him

📖: Morrison's New X-Men | DnA's Cosmic Saga | Hickman's New/Avengers & Secret Wars | Dawn/Reign/Destiny Of X
📺: Guardians | Black Panther | Ragnarok | Infinity War/Endgame | WandaVision | Loki | No Way Home | Multiverse Of Madness

EphemeristX

Post by EphemeristX » 28 Sep 2022, 16:12

Dude, Cable, the hurricane is heading straight for you. Stay safe.

Blackcyclops

Post by Blackcyclops » 28 Sep 2022, 16:17

Be safe Cable…like seriously dude
-Cly

BardicOne

Post by BardicOne » 28 Sep 2022, 16:55

Be safe Cable. Positive Energy for you and your daughter BC.
Formerly Known As RingOtaku
posting vlogs and game streams at: https://www.youtube.com/user/gotyoursomething/videos

Cable

Post by Cable » 28 Sep 2022, 19:23

Right now it is windy but not so much you can't walk around outside. Orlando is pretty far inland. It is the coast that will be hit bad.
Best Comics of Week 48

das_boot

Post by das_boot » 28 Sep 2022, 21:29

Yeah I saw on the news that all of Cuba’s power got taken out? Holy hell… stay safe Cable, that is an instruction not a suggestion!

Jindianajonz

Post by Jindianajonz » 29 Sep 2022, 16:51

BC, that's god damn heart wrenching. I'm hoping the best for your family and hers!

AntiBody

Post by AntiBody » 01 Oct 2022, 15:55

Anyone see Hocus Pocus 2? I enjoyed it! SJP was funnier than I thought she'd be, and although I wish it was a *little* more campy, I thought it was well done overall!
he / him

📖: Morrison's New X-Men | DnA's Cosmic Saga | Hickman's New/Avengers & Secret Wars | Dawn/Reign/Destiny Of X
📺: Guardians | Black Panther | Ragnarok | Infinity War/Endgame | WandaVision | Loki | No Way Home | Multiverse Of Madness

Spectral Knight

Post by Spectral Knight » 02 Oct 2022, 01:57

Yeah, we watched it Friday night. S'okay, but didn't quite have the charm of the original for me. Not sure coming back to it after 30 years was a good idea, felt like SJP and Najimy's sisters were sidelined a bit in this one, and whilst Middler still looked like she was having the time of her life in this, maybe she got a bit too much of the script...?

It's funny - the first one had a terrible critical reception, but built a legacy, whilst this had a much more positive review from critics and yet it felt a little flatter for me.

Blackcyclops

Post by Blackcyclops » 02 Oct 2022, 04:46

I saw Smile…jeezus what a terrifying film. First Barbarian and now that…horror is killing it!!!

Also, funny story: my mother-in-law has zero Marvel knowledge beyond Black panther (she’s a Black woman in her 50s so of course she saw that movie) but is loving She-Hulk…well after the latest episode she thinks Man-Bull and El Aguila are big Marvel characters lol…I don’t have the heart to correct her.
-Cly

Blackcyclops

Post by Blackcyclops » 03 Oct 2022, 04:40

Happy October everybody:
Attachments
6779CAAF-01BD-4864-BEC0-EF5EC790D82A.png
6779CAAF-01BD-4864-BEC0-EF5EC790D82A.png (1.2 MiB) Viewed 542 times
-Cly

das_boot

Post by das_boot » 04 Oct 2022, 19:56

Blackcyclops wrote:
03 Oct 2022, 04:40
Happy October everybody:
OMG HE IS

Anna Raven

Post by Anna Raven » 04 Oct 2022, 20:24

Kissimmee Galloway
Savage Avengers Draft: She-Hulk | Elektra | Echo | Gamora | Rogue | Chun Li | White Widow | Shuri

Cable

Post by Cable » 10 Oct 2022, 17:37

Has anyone watched the new Interview with a Vampire show and can tell me if I should too?
Best Comics of Week 48