Welcome to unstablemolecules.com, the discussion home for mightyavengers.net, uncanon.com and uncannyxmen.net!

Random Thoughts

Level 01: Get to know the other posters better. What do they do when they don't read comics?
Crutey Anth

Re: Random Thoughts

Post by Crutey Anth » 23 Sep 2018, 10:29

Important question: If Superman/Cyclops was 'cockeyed' would they fire beams in two different directions?

Gibbering Fool

Post by Gibbering Fool » 23 Sep 2018, 22:39

Cyclops no, Superman yes IMHO.

As I understand Cyclops his eyes are basically portals so when he opens his eyelids the beams shoot out. They're not linked to his pupils. I think Superman can direct his heat vision at whatever he's looking at, so I guess if one pupil pointed the wrong way it could go wonky

tokenBG1009

Post by tokenBG1009 » 24 Sep 2018, 03:37

There are few things more facepalm worthy than someone who claims to know so much about comics trying to school the person who wrote the comic.

Currently watching as Gail Simone talks about the possibility of a black Black Canary, she doesn't care either way. People are telling her that Dinah can't be black because she's blonde.
A League of Their Own!

I wish I could write fanfiction...

RingOtaku

Post by RingOtaku » 24 Sep 2018, 03:59

That... that's just... bad logic. Just like "Um... hold on I need visual aids to point out how lame that logic is" it hurts my brain to think that's someones idea of an intelligent point.
D20 Roulette: A Podcast of Geeks and Raging. https://rouletteproductions.com

Blackcyclops

Post by Blackcyclops » 24 Sep 2018, 16:10

tokenBG1009 wrote:
24 Sep 2018, 03:37
There are few things more facepalm worthy than someone who claims to know so much about comics trying to school the person who wrote the comic.

Currently watching as Gail Simone talks about the possibility of a black Black Canary, she doesn't care either way. People are telling her that Dinah can't be black because she's blonde.
Didn’t one version of BC wear a blonde wig? Lol
I'm Team Remender, Waid, Hickman and Gillen

My X-Men Draft Picks:
Prof. X, Legion, Polaris, Quicksilver, Meggan, Deadpool, Pixie, and Danger

tokenBG1009

Post by tokenBG1009 » 24 Sep 2018, 16:12

Blackcyclops wrote:
24 Sep 2018, 16:10
tokenBG1009 wrote:

Yup, but wigs don't exist in the DCU I guess?
A League of Their Own!

RingOtaku

Post by RingOtaku » 25 Sep 2018, 04:24

Blackcyclops wrote:
tokenBG1009 wrote:

Yep. When Kevin Smith brought back Oliver Queen that was a post-coitus joke "Sorry about all the hair pulling. Thought you were still wearing the wig"

das_boot

Post by das_boot » 28 Sep 2018, 14:56

I’d kind of LIKE a black woman to fight Canary for the title. CULTURAL APPROPRIATION
Marvel Fantasy League Team: Laura Kinney, James Howlett, Domino, Luke Cage, Magik, Black Bolt, Sentry, Dazzler, Nick Fury, Dazzler, Hawkeye (not the Hawkguy)

RingOtaku

Post by RingOtaku » 28 Sep 2018, 15:02

can we do it in a steel cage match? But the old WWE style ones with the big baby-blue bars instead of the chainlink fence style?

tokenBG1009

Post by tokenBG1009 » 29 Sep 2018, 05:00

tokenBG1009 wrote:
24 Sep 2018, 16:12
Blackcyclops wrote:
tokenBG1009 wrote:

Yup, but wigs don't exist in the DCU I guess?
The madmen actually did it. They cast a black woman as Black Canary.
A League of Their Own!

EvilMonkeyPope

Post by EvilMonkeyPope » 29 Sep 2018, 20:56

In addition to BOP's Jurnee Smollett-Bell, Arrow also a multiracial Black Canary in Juliana Harkavy.

tokenBG1009

Post by tokenBG1009 » 29 Sep 2018, 21:24

EvilMonkeyPope wrote:
29 Sep 2018, 20:56
In addition to BOP's Jurnee Smollett-Bell, Arrow also a multiracial Black Canary in Juliana Harkavy.
Who, coincidentally, doesn't even wear a wig.

Though I honestly believe that's because everyone has given up on Arrow by the time she arrived.
A League of Their Own!

EvilMonkeyPope

Post by EvilMonkeyPope » 29 Sep 2018, 21:45

Jurnee Smollet-Bell is the sister of Jojo Smollett, Jazz Smollett, Jussie Smollett, Jake Smollett, and Jocqui Smollett. She married Josiah Bell. Then she named her son Hunter.

Blackcyclops

Post by Blackcyclops » 30 Sep 2018, 14:03

Because she’s a Black actress with roots in the 90s, my fiancee has almost literally said EmP’s post almost verbatim before lol
I'm Team Remender, Waid, Hickman and Gillen

My X-Men Draft Picks:
Prof. X, Legion, Polaris, Quicksilver, Meggan, Deadpool, Pixie, and Danger

Wings

Post by Wings » 01 Oct 2018, 23:34

Studying abroad for a semester from January. Have to have my classes picked by the first of next month and, I remain confused, bricking it and on the verge of complete panic.
Sign-ups for Betrayal Game 76: Murder in Manhattan now open! Help Jessica Jones solve the unexplained murder of a group of super-villains! Link to the thread here:
viewtopic.php?f=24&p=169031#p169031

_Rick_

Post by _Rick_ » 02 Oct 2018, 01:09

Wings wrote:
01 Oct 2018, 23:34
Studying abroad for a semester from January. Have to have my classes picked by the first of next month and, I remain confused, bricking it and on the verge of complete panic.
Erasmus? It's usually a great experience. There's really no need to panic. A semester goes by really fast. What country/city?
If you want some advice for the class picking, just be completely honest with yourself. What are your priorities for that semester? Think of how much time you want to spend on experiencing life in another country, meet new people, party and travel versus how important it is to do well in your studies and choose your classes accordingly. It's hard to do it all and since it's a limited timeframe and everyone want to make the most out of the experience, so it's no use wasting time feeling crappy because you're not dominating that really complex class that even the locals are failing. If you really want to travel, then travel and pick easier classes. If you really want to take advantage of an opportunity to take a specific class that is offered there, then do it and don't feel guilty that you won't be able to make every party.

If you want more specific advice about picking classes, IMHO the 2 most important things are:
- Language: Depending on the country, some or most of the classes might not be in English (even if the syllabus is accessible in English, the Professors might lecture in the local language especially if there aren't many foreign students). If the course is in English, being a native English speaker you have an advantage but ironically, sometimes monolingual English speakers actually have a lot of problems understanding people with really thick foreign accents (don't know if that's your case but it's something that I have observed multiple times).
- Evaluation: My personal experience is that Erasmus students do better at classes that are graded based on some paper, presentation or lab work rather than some exam or group project (might depend on your field of study of course). Also bear in mind that, in certain cases, Professors actually make special rules for Erasmus students. I knew an engineering Professor that allowed the foreign students to choose to be evaluated solely on the more math heavy part of the exam (whilst everyone else had complex theoretical questions they also had to answer). It made the exam super easy but only a couple people actually took advantage of it because everyone else didn't bother to ask beforehand and gave up midway through the course.

tokenBG1009

Post by tokenBG1009 » 02 Oct 2018, 09:15

There's an image I saw once of, I think, Storm explaining the complicated nature of the Summers family. Does anyone else remember this and possibly what comic it was from?
A League of Their Own!

_Rick_

Post by _Rick_ » 02 Oct 2018, 12:28

tokenBG1009 wrote:
02 Oct 2018, 09:15
There's an image I saw once of, I think, Storm explaining the complicated nature of the Summers family. Does anyone else remember this and possibly what comic it was from?
Uncanny x-men 339 perhaps? Storm and Joseph are in the Blackbird and she's explaining Cable to him. I remember a scene like that from the comic that had Havok and his brotherhood attacking a plane with J Jonah Jameson.

tokenBG1009

Post by tokenBG1009 » 03 Oct 2018, 05:08

_Rick_ wrote:
02 Oct 2018, 12:28
tokenBG1009 wrote:
02 Oct 2018, 09:15
Uncanny x-men 339 perhaps? Storm and Joseph are in the Blackbird and she's explaining Cable to him. I remember a scene like that from the comic that had Havok and his brotherhood attacking a plane with J Jonah Jameson.
Bless you! I've been looking for this forever after I saw it.
A League of Their Own!

EvilMonkeyPope

Post by EvilMonkeyPope » 03 Oct 2018, 08:58

I've been spending a lot of time fantasizing about customizing toys I don't own.

tokenBG1009

Post by tokenBG1009 » 03 Oct 2018, 09:16

EvilMonkeyPope wrote:
03 Oct 2018, 08:58
I've been spending a lot of time fantasizing about customizing toys I don't own.
I imagine a lot of us are doing similar things. I'd point you to the Warped draft.
A League of Their Own!

RingOtaku

Post by RingOtaku » 03 Oct 2018, 14:38

I hate those last few days of work before a vacation. You just don't want to be there. I just... I want to go.

tokenBG1009

Post by tokenBG1009 » 04 Oct 2018, 02:52

RingOtaku wrote:
03 Oct 2018, 14:38
I hate those last few days of work before a vacation. You just don't want to be there. I just... I want to go.
i'm going on a mini-cation next week. I understand this so much.
A League of Their Own!

RingOtaku

Post by RingOtaku » 04 Oct 2018, 20:54

tokenBG1009 wrote:
04 Oct 2018, 02:52
RingOtaku wrote:
03 Oct 2018, 14:38
i'm going on a mini-cation next week. I understand this so much.
Counting driving days and a "vacation hangover" day it's nine days off from work. first vacation since I dragged myself back to retail a year and a half ago.

Still at least all the expected downtime has inspired me to grab digital copies of several of the old 80s Marvel crossovers and finally read through them.

tokenBG1009

Post by tokenBG1009 » 05 Oct 2018, 11:01

How important are genetics to you? By this, I mean a healthy individual with no genetic quirks or flaws. I understand people with hereditary disorders might care more about such matters.

Was reading an article today and saw someone who donated eggs for money then found out a child was born from those eggs. Then they decided to reach out to the child. To me, this seems weird and kind of creepy. They're not your child. It's one thing if they reach out to you, but reaching out to them seems weird.

When I was younger and thought I would want kids later in life I always said I would adopt a kid instead of having one. My co-workers all thought this was crazy. They questioned why I wouldn't want a child of my own blood instead of someone else's kid. My argument was simply "because they'd be my kid." I never cared who birthed my hypothetical future child. I simply didn't see the point of having a child when there were so many already in the world, not that I blame people for doing so.
A League of Their Own!