Welcome to unstablemolecules.com!

Random Thoughts

Level 01: Get to know the other posters better. What do they do when they don't read comics?
grief

Re: Random Thoughts

Post by grief » 13 Oct 2017, 03:21

One of my local shops - and thank God there's many - will pull from another person's file if you need an issue and they haven't picked it up yet. It's been super helpful to me, but it definitely discourages me from having a box anywhere.
Official member of the Mighty Avengers fan club. "You want Avengers, lady? Take a good look. We're the Avengers."

See what happens after AoA Apocalypse dies in the Age After. http://uncanon.com/fiction/ageafter/

RingOtaku

Post by RingOtaku » 13 Oct 2017, 03:39

See that wouldn't bother me in the short term. I only get up there once a month so I could see a short term loss on my box. But he doesn't seem to be able to refill my box. I got issues from three months ago that I still haven't gotten.
Check Out Recruitment Drive: https://www.createspace.com/6339770

D20 Roulette: A Podcast of Geeks and Raging. https://soundcloud.com/d20roulette

Pro Wrestling: Everything awesomely camp about super-hero fights, but with aging and music.

Cable

Post by Cable » 14 Oct 2017, 12:33

I have always used Comixology's Pull List service to organize my comics every month. They have announced they are discontinuing it :( . Does anyone know of another digital tool that can be used to organize a pull list that is very user-friendly?
Rank your favorite characters in the X-Men Character Sorter! Share your results!

"If life were a picnic, you'd be a family. Since life is war, you're soldiers. You'd do well to start accepting that fact."--Nathan Summers

Anna Raven

Post by Anna Raven » 16 Oct 2017, 18:30

I doubt anyone but me watched it but the show Halt and Catch Fire was one of the most brilliant shows ever. It was a masterclass at how to do character development.
X-Men 1872: Rogue|Deadpool|Old Man Logan|Moonstar|San Francisco(HQ)|Thunderbird I|Cecilia Reyes|Stacy X|Lady Deathstrike|Mariko Yashida|Scorpion Boy

Exiles: Nocturne|Ultimate Thor|1602 Matthew Murdoch|Kurt Waggoner|Colossus (BotA)|BB-8

Blackcyclops

Post by Blackcyclops » 16 Oct 2017, 19:07

I’m still in season 1...
I'm Team Remender, Waid, Hickman and Gillen

My X-Men Draft Picks:
Prof. X, Legion, Polaris, Quicksilver, Meggan, Deadpool, Pixie, and Danger

Anna Raven

Post by Anna Raven » 16 Oct 2017, 22:57

Blackcyclops wrote:
16 Oct 2017, 19:07
I’m still in season 1...
It just improves as you go through the series.
X-Men 1872: Rogue|Deadpool|Old Man Logan|Moonstar|San Francisco(HQ)|Thunderbird I|Cecilia Reyes|Stacy X|Lady Deathstrike|Mariko Yashida|Scorpion Boy

Exiles: Nocturne|Ultimate Thor|1602 Matthew Murdoch|Kurt Waggoner|Colossus (BotA)|BB-8

MartijnB

Post by MartijnB » 19 Oct 2017, 13:19

for the hell of it,

I am working on my graduation project and I need input from users of inhalers, be it for Asthma or COPD or otherwise, some background:
Dear Lung Foundation Experience Expert,

A problem among a large group of inhalers, the metered-dose inhaler specifically, is the lack of a counter that counts how many doses have been used and how many are left in the inhaler. The Lung Foundation Netherlands is working on an external counter for this task.

This survey aims to generate insight in the use of inhalers in general, the use of counters, and the problems that occur when counters are not present. The questions you'll get will depend on whether your own inhaler has a counter or not.

This survey will take roughly 10 minutes.

If you participate in this survey as a caregiver of an inhaler user, try to answer the questions from the perspective of the user.

This research is, other than being a project of the Lung Foundation Netherlands, part of my own graduation project for the academic bachelor Industrial Design at Twente University. At the end of the survey you will be able to say whether or not you want to be kept up to date about the results of this project, and whether you want to participate in future steps.

Kind regards,

Martijn Benschop
if there are any inhaler users here that want to fill in my survey, it'd be awesome if you could let me know through PM or by posting here or whatever, it would be of great help :)

tokenBG1009

Post by tokenBG1009 » 20 Oct 2017, 05:22

I used to have an inhaler like 20 years ago, but as an adult I look back on it and realize "shit, a counter would have been super helpful"
eXiles Draft: Frenzy (Age of X), Basilisk (Age of X), Howlett (XXM), Hercules (XXM), Longshot (Mojoverse), Mojo (Free Agent)

MartijnB

Post by MartijnB » 20 Oct 2017, 08:03

well, yeah, I knew nothing about inhalers before I started this assignment, but now that I've been doing this for a bit I am left wondering why on earth not all inhalers have these counters integrated

Milkshake08

Post by Milkshake08 » 25 Oct 2017, 06:16

UGGGHHH I'm so angry I could Hulk right now. I placed an preorder on Amazon, was notified two days later I wouldn't get it until January despite the item being released next week, and then put in a cancellation request. Per Amazon, the seller would respond within 2 days. I contacted them four times over the course of two weeks with no response, and put in a complaint with Amazon. Also found the item now for preorder through Amazon directly for less than half the cost. Then I get an email it shipped but won't deliver til January anyway! Guess what's getting straight returned. I'm so pissed. Has anyone else had this kind of experience with sellers on Amazon? I mean, it's honestly ridiculous. I should be able to cancel an order for an item that hasn't been released yet two weeks in advance.

Anna Raven

Post by Anna Raven » 25 Oct 2017, 13:49

Generally if you order straight thru Amazon as opposed to a 3rd Party dealer I’ll get the item 1-2 Days after release. This must be a crazily in demand item to be pushed that far back.

EvilMonkeyPope

Post by EvilMonkeyPope » 26 Oct 2017, 04:12

I'm going to an 80's themed Halloween party but I don't have any 80's clothes that would form a cohesive costume.

RingOtaku

Post by RingOtaku » 26 Oct 2017, 14:10

EvilMonkeyPope wrote:
26 Oct 2017, 04:12
I'm going to an 80's themed Halloween party but I don't have any 80's clothes that would form a cohesive costume.
I recall the 80s. I don't recall the clothes being "cohesive".

Pro Wrestling: Everything awesomely camp about super-hero fights, but with aging and music.

Anna Raven

Post by Anna Raven » 26 Oct 2017, 14:51

RingOtaku wrote:
26 Oct 2017, 14:10
EvilMonkeyPope wrote:
26 Oct 2017, 04:12
I recall the 80s. I don't recall the clothes being "cohesive".
Go out and buy a cheap pair of white clip on suspenders. Wear a pink or yellow t-shirt underneath. Apply liberal amounts of hair gel. Costume done.

EphemeristX

Post by EphemeristX » 26 Oct 2017, 16:42

Hahaha, I'm with RingOtaku. There are definite eras within the 80s that you could pull inspiration from, though. There's like, hair-metal 80s where you've got spandex on under torn up jeans, a leather jacket and no shirt. Or you could do, like, four-color neon and go with bright yellow, magenta, electric blue, and black. Or you could bedazzle the shit out of a denim jacket. Or you could go athletic and get a loose tank and wind-breaker pants. Or you could feather the hell out of your hair and put on a geometric sweater and sweatpants.
http://dancehall-daze.tumblr.com

"Take your baby by the ears
And play upon her darkest fears"

EvilMonkeyPope

Post by EvilMonkeyPope » 26 Oct 2017, 18:24

I have a Members' Only jacket & choice of vintage TMNT or Real Ghostbusters caps.

Milkshake08

Post by Milkshake08 » 26 Oct 2017, 21:13

EvilMonkeyPope wrote:
26 Oct 2017, 18:24
I have a Members' Only jacket & choice of vintage TMNT or Real Ghostbusters caps.
I'm disappointed, EMP. I was hoping you were going to go in some acid wash ripped jeans, neon suspenders, and a mesh midriff top.

EvilMonkeyPope

Post by EvilMonkeyPope » 26 Oct 2017, 22:22

I HAVE FAILED THIS SAN JUNIPERO!

_Rick_

Post by _Rick_ » 27 Oct 2017, 04:13

Has anyone listened to Jay and Miles live NYCC show with Chris Claremont and Louise Simonson? Claremont, egged on by Simonson, just lets loose and says his blunt opinion on several stuff, from the whole X-Factor debacle to many of Marvel's current practices. There's some major shade thrown. You can tell that some of it is them kidding around but there's a lot of truths being told. My jaw kind of dropped when a guy was asking about "Jim Shooter's rules" and how they worked or didn't and Claremont says:
Claremont: "Oh, you mean back in the days comics actually sold!?"
Guy:"Yeah!"
Claremont "That each issue sold more than the issue before?"
It was kind of mean towards the current editors ... but accurate. LOL

One interesting thing he mentions (that I never considered before) was that the modern way of going into "creative retreats" to map out stories for the next two years makes the story less organic than when it was an ongoing conversation at the offices. That a lot of the best ideas came from people jumping in exchanging ideas. He stresses the importance of stories always leading into the next and the next, providing jumping on points but never jumping off points to hook the audience since they'll always want to know what comes next if they are already invested in the plotline.

Anna Raven

Post by Anna Raven » 27 Oct 2017, 07:07

_Rick_ wrote:
27 Oct 2017, 04:13
Has anyone listened to Jay and Miles live NYCC show with Chris Claremont and Louise Simonson? Claremont, egged on by Simonson, just lets loose and says his blunt opinion on several stuff, from the whole X-Factor debacle to many of Marvel's current practices. There's some major shade thrown. You can tell that some of it is them kidding around but there's a lot of truths being told. My jaw kind of dropped when a guy was asking about "Jim Shooter's rules" and how they worked or didn't and Claremont says:
Claremont: "Oh, you mean back in the days comics actually sold!?"
Claremont "That each issue sold more than the issue before?"
It was kind of mean towards the current editors ... but accurate. LOL

One interesting thing he mentions (that I never considered before) was that the modern way of going into "creative retreats" to map out stories for the next two years makes the story less organic than when it was an ongoing conversation at the offices. That a lot of the best ideas came from people jumping in exchanging ideas. He stresses the importance of stories always leading into the next and the next, providing jumping on points but never jumping off points to hook the audience since they'll always want to know what comes next if they are already invested in the plotline.
Just curious but what was the “X-Factor debacle” to which they are referring? PAD’s most recent X-Factor run?

I’m always interested in what CC has to say, but good old days syndrome in comics reminds me a lot of good old days syndrome in the coal industry. The things that the “good old days” people complain about are not remotely close to the real reasons things are tanking. But it’s hard to refute them because things are tanking so badly.

Blackcyclops

Post by Blackcyclops » 27 Oct 2017, 10:01

Well just like with the coal industry you have alot more things (technological changez, changes in taste, cultural and social shifts) to consider just than “people did it better back when I was doing it”...so yeah I’ll make sure to get CC a Make Comics Great Again hat.
I'm Team Remender, Waid, Hickman and Gillen

My X-Men Draft Picks:
Prof. X, Legion, Polaris, Quicksilver, Meggan, Deadpool, Pixie, and Danger

RingOtaku

Post by RingOtaku » 27 Oct 2017, 13:54

Anna Raven wrote:
27 Oct 2017, 07:07

Just curious but what was the “X-Factor debacle” to which they are referring? PAD’s most recent X-Factor run?

I’m always interested in what CC has to say, but good old days syndrome in comics reminds me a lot of good old days syndrome in the coal industry. The things that the “good old days” people complain about are not remotely close to the real reasons things are tanking. But it’s hard to refute them because things are tanking so badly.
I believe CC refers to the original X-Factor series and how it's creative "dragged down" UXM with things like the way X-Factor handled Maddie Pryor leading into Inferno and that that series is the only reason they brought Jean Grey back which meant retconning CC's original Dark Phoenix story. In turn setting off many years of Phoenix stories that constantly change the concept away from what CC originally intended. He's talked about his dislike of it before.

_Rick_

Post by _Rick_ » 27 Oct 2017, 14:03

I agree that one shouldn't over indulge in the type of thinking of "back in my day everything was great" but what I see a lot these days is also "Everyone that came before me doesn't have useful insights and doesn't understand anything modern but I do". Problem is, in this case, the old timers at least have something to show that grants them credibility. In contrast, when your books aren't selling and you have declining sales, your hubris looks silly which is what is happening currently at Marvel. Brevoort's brash attitude isn't backed up by results.

While it's easy to dismiss him as a grumpy old man, Claremont picked up a cancelled title and nurtured it all the way into what is still, to this day, the Guinness record for the most issues ever sold for a comic. That is not a small feat so maybe he knows a thing or two about expanding audiences. Furthermore, the fact he gives credit not only to people he likes (like Ann Nocenti) but also to Shooter (that is a controversial figure with whom Claremont butted heads on occasion) indicates that he isn't just looking at stuff through rose-tinted glasses. Shooter by all indications was at times hard to work under but many of Marvel's most renowned runs were under his "rules" (Miller's Daredevil, Simonson's Thor, Byrne's Fantastic Four, Claremont's x-men, etc.)
And Claremont isn't just asserting "during my time it was better" without further insight. He (and Louise Simonson) are actually explaining the philosophy behind what they did... and it makes sense.

At the end of the day there's an incontestable truth: Something was working back then... something isn't working right now.

That alone is enough for me to listen and think critically on what he says. Unsurprisingly, I find myself agreing to a lot of it.
It was about the original X-Factor idea. It's pretty well known that Claremont was really upset at the time and Louise Simonson brings it up here to get him started. He initially is kind of diplomatic (for Claremontean standards) but Simonson says "They want names, Chris!" and Claremont indulges her.

There's a behind the scenes article about it in the main site if you want to take a look but long story short: he felt a blindsided by the fact that they were resurrecting Jean after making him kill her at the end of the Dark Phoenix Saga. He felt that reuniting the O5 in that way, not only cheapened the Dark Phoenix saga but also severely damaged Cyclops' character. He got really upset and wanted immediately to talk to Shooter about it but Ann Nocenti was smart enough to break the news by taking them out to dinner, on a Friday night, after office hours and refusing to provide Claremont with Shooter's number so he could calm down and process it. He spent the weekend figuring out alternatives so Shooter could have the title but not crap on his previous or current work (like bringing in Sara Grey as a mutant with Cerebro like abilities to replace Jean). Shooter liked his ideas, and said he should do them if he wanted, but the title was going out as planned. The only change Claremont (and Guice) managed to do was change a part of the Fantastic Four issue that described what happened during the Dark Phoenix storyline. Byrne was going to say that the Phoenix Force was an evil entity and anything positive was just Jean (basically the typical cop out that we have nowadays in the comics). Claremont changed it to Phoenix being benevolent and its corruption being based on human fallibility. Can't blame Claremont for this since Byrne's version effectively nullified the entire central metaphor of the Saga.

Cable

Post by Cable » 27 Oct 2017, 16:09

I like Claremont but he has said some weird things in the past. Like a few years ago he said the Disney rights thing meant Marvel told him he could not make any new mutant characters. This interview was while he was writing Nightcrawler. In which he introduced Scorpion Boy. A new mutant character. So WTF was he talking about?
Rank your favorite characters in the X-Men Character Sorter! Share your results!

"If life were a picnic, you'd be a family. Since life is war, you're soldiers. You'd do well to start accepting that fact."--Nathan Summers

Anna Raven

Post by Anna Raven » 27 Oct 2017, 16:47

Oh yeh, like I said I have interest in what he has to say, and I feel like you absolutely learn things from listening to the old guys. I think a lot of his advice toward creatives is well warranted and on the nose. If people can gleam wisdom form his words more power to them.

But then he says things like "oh you mean back when comics were selling...."

Or you said yourself above "Something was working back then... something isn't working right now."

And it's exactly like BC said above. The reason comics aren't selling really has nothing to do with the creatives. It has to do with the fact its a print industry in a day and and age where print media is dying. Kids, who were the backbone of comics readership are infinitely more likely to want to watch a movie, or TV, or play a video game, than read a comic. And all those things are readily available to them, often at a much cheaper cost. Do realize a mobile video game these days costs a quarter of the amount of a single comic book? And many of these video games are like crack. I'm not joking, they have addictive properties just like crack cocaine.

So all you have left propping up the industry is old-timers like us who keep buying comics for nostalgia and because we enjoy reading and art (crazy right?) and we love to indulge in these kinds of theoretical exercises where we hash out what's gone wrong with comics and how can we fix them. And of course the old creators indulge in that too, for the same reasons and because its also their livelihood.

But like the coal industry, which is dying not because of immigrants, or politics, but because they are an outdated energy source which is close to becoming fully automated, people want answers, but not the real ones.

So, I just say all that, because Claremont would be better off not bringing sales into it, but saying "I believe this is a better creative process". Overall, I trust CC, and I bet he does have some insight.

You just have to be careful, because you ALSO have guys like Chuck Dixon saying - well in the good old days we didn't try to diversify and our comics were all about white guys and THAT'S what's wrong with comics today. So again, saying something was working back then, and it's not working now - that can lead us down dangerous paths.