Welcome to unstablemolecules.com, the discussion home for mightyavengers.net, uncanon.com and uncannyxmen.net!

Re: Random Thoughts

Level 01: Get to know the other posters better. What do they do when they don't read comics?
das_boot

Re: Re: Random Thoughts

Post by das_boot » 18 Nov 2022, 17:32

Cable wrote:
18 Nov 2022, 17:05
I am super excited, even if I think the US is going nowhere. In fact I was so excited that I couldn't wait and signed up to play Champions League fantasy football for the first time despite knowing little about most of the teams. I am currently in 1,204,118th place if you are wondering how that is going (but 17,544th place in the US! Out of 28,000...) Rubbish tournament anyway as I'm a proper Arsenal fan.
Cable everything you said here blew my mind just because you’re American

I don’t care about it at all, especially given the controversy over Qatar hosting (and no beer at the games? That won’t go down well with most of the European fans although they probably should have expected that). However I’ve somehow been nominated to put together the scores for our office prediction competition… and I know NOTHING about football 🤣
Sinister’s Lab now secretly altering other player’s posts in the RPG section

Spectral Knight

Post by Spectral Knight » 18 Nov 2022, 17:47

Cable wrote:
18 Nov 2022, 17:05
I am super excited, even if I think the US is going nowhere. In fact I was so excited that I couldn't wait and signed up to play Champions League fantasy football for the first time despite knowing little about most of the teams. I am currently in 1,204,118th place if you are wondering how that is going (but 17,544th place in the US! Out of 28,000...) Rubbish tournament anyway as I'm a proper Arsenal fan.
I reckon the US has a good chance of getting out the group. On paper, Wales are better but I can see them being up for the England game (as usual) but I can see them potentially having a banana skin against you.

I think the group will end:

England 7 (wins against the US and Iran, draw the Welsh game)
US 6 points
Wales 4 points
Iran - whipping boys.

I hope we get to face Portugal and Slabhead two foots CR7 into retirement after his nonsense.
das_boot wrote:
18 Nov 2022, 17:32

I don’t care about it at all, especially given the controversy over Qatar hosting (and no beer at the games? That won’t go down well with most of the European fans although they probably should have expected that).
The thing about no alcohol in the grounds is so ridiculous, not least because of the hypocrisy of it. I've been to Qatar, and the hotels that "cater to Western audiences" were full of locals on the piss. Oh and the brass that they'll use despite the bullshit way they treat women enforcing their idea of "modesty". Awful fucking place, it really is.

das_boot

Post by das_boot » 18 Nov 2022, 22:44

And the fact that players wearing any kind of “we support the LGBTQ” arm bands are going to be fined…

Spectral Knight

Post by Spectral Knight » 19 Nov 2022, 12:09

Honestly? The fine for the arm bands is a side issue compared to the way the country actually treats LGBT+ people. Footballers and the associations can pay fines at a drop of the hat, but it's everyday people whose rights are being infringed, y'know

das_boot

Post by das_boot » 19 Nov 2022, 16:33

Oh I know that— I just mean it’s really bad when players were wearing those bands in Russia, and the Russian World Cup had signs promoting LGBTQ+ inclusivity within the sport, yet Qatar will fine players for wearing them to show support and won’t show signs at all.

Don’t get me wrong, I fully get your point— but there’s also the issue of visible support during events being important and when an anti LGBTQ+ country like Russia will allow support when they host, but Qatar won’t? It’s several steps backwards.

Spectral Knight

Post by Spectral Knight » 19 Nov 2022, 19:40

Yeah, I get your point completely.

I honestly think the idiots that run FIFA are completely devoid of principles. It's obvious that both Russia and Qatar only won the right to host the tournaments based on bribery and corruption. At least Russia had a football pedigree but Qatar is obviously using this for sportswashing and that they back peddle on prior commitments and still continue to abuse basic human rights...eugh, makes me mad.

I mean, I'm a United fan, so I totally get the influence money has on the sport, but I'm still so pissed off at this BS.

Cable

Post by Cable » 21 Nov 2022, 15:11

Well congrats to Team England for doing exactly what you were expected to do against Iran.

I am of two minds on the US facing Wales today. I wish this game wasn't first because if we lose then we have to go through the other games pretty dispirited. I would rather we play England and Iran first and get an expected W-L and then give everything we have against Wales.
But then of course is the other thought that if this is the most important game in the group for us then I suppose it is best we do it first fresh without possible injuries, cards, etc

If I have to guess I think we and Wales get a draw today and getting out of the group becomes all about goal differential. Unless Iran could get a draw against Wales too but I'm not sure I could bring myself to cheer for Iran lol (not a knock against the people of that country, many who have bravely taken the streets this year despite risk of death, but rather not wanting the regime to have any kind of propaganda victory opportunity)
Best Comics of Week 47

X-titles: X-Men #17 by Gerry Duggan (8) and Joshua Cassara (2)
Non-X titles: Deadly Neighborhood Spider-Man #2 by B. Earl (1), Taboo (1) and Juan Ferreyra (1)

In parentheses number of times creator had best comic this year

Anna Raven

Post by Anna Raven » 21 Nov 2022, 15:37

If England got eliminated early somehow, would you guys root for (support?) the other teams from the British Isles instead? Or is it too heated to be able to cheer for your rival ever?
Savage Avengers Draft: She-Hulk | Elektra | Echo | Gamora | Rogue | Chun Li | White Widow | Shuri

Spectral Knight

Post by Spectral Knight » 21 Nov 2022, 15:56

Cable wrote:
21 Nov 2022, 15:11
Well congrats to Team England for doing exactly what you were expected to do against Iran.

I am of two minds on the US facing Wales today. I wish this game wasn't first because if we lose then we have to go through the other games pretty dispirited. I would rather we play England and Iran first and get an expected W-L and then give everything we have against Wales.
But then of course is the other thought that if this is the most important game in the group for us then I suppose it is best we do it first fresh without possible injuries, cards, etc

If I have to guess I think we and Wales get a draw today and getting out of the group becomes all about goal differential. Unless Iran could get a draw against Wales too but I'm not sure I could bring myself to cheer for Iran lol (not a knock against the people of that country, many who have bravely taken the streets this year despite risk of death, but rather not wanting the regime to have any kind of propaganda victory opportunity)
Iran are NOT getting a draw against Wales. Not a chance.

I hope the US win today. Whilst the Welsh are next-door neighbours, I've got (some) yank blood, so I'm up for tonight's game.

Iran's second goal? What on Earth did VAR see that they didn't see when Slabhead got pulled down in the first half.

Cable

Post by Cable » 21 Nov 2022, 15:58

When US gets knocked out I'll probably switch to just cheering for a team to be champions who has never gotten to before (Belgium, Netherlands, or Portugal are deserving). Though I would be happy for England if they could given its been a lifetime since they did :P
Best Comics of Week 47

Non-X titles: Deadly Neighborhood Spider-Man #2 by B. Earl (1), Taboo (1) and Juan Ferreyra (1)

EphemeristX

Post by EphemeristX » 21 Nov 2022, 18:53

FIFA is threatening to issue yellow cards to any players wearing rainbow armbands in solidarity with the LGBTQ+ community.
I really wanna blow your mind
but I haven't got the time.

Spectral Knight

Post by Spectral Knight » 21 Nov 2022, 19:56

Decent first half for the US. Glad they hit the opener as their possession deserved it, could be better in the final third, mind.
Wales look proper leggy. They need to be using Dan James more. He's super quick and if the balls are released with room to run he'll have most defenders for breakfast.

And they took James off at half time :lol:

Cable

Post by Cable » 21 Nov 2022, 21:03

Well it went exactly as I expected. At least every game will be exciting now as goals scored and conceded are really going to matter.
Best Comics of Week 47

Spectral Knight

Post by Spectral Knight » 21 Nov 2022, 21:16

Lots to play for and from a selfish English fan's view, a draw puts the pressure on both the US and the Welsh to perform. I still think Iran will be lucky to get a point in the group. What's the chances all three teams end up on 5 points?

Blackcyclops

Post by Blackcyclops » 22 Nov 2022, 05:09

So like how does everybody pronounce Sauron (Dino-dude) and Sauron (LotR baddie)? The same? Differently?
So on one hand we have the existence of a being who can reset the entire timeline, destroying everything…, and on the other hand we have a few mind wipes and some gaslighting. You're right, totally evenly weighted.
-Cly

Anna Raven

Post by Anna Raven » 22 Nov 2022, 07:48

To me the first is Saw-ron and the second is Sow-ron. The first like dino-saur, and the latter seems to be the pronunciation used in all the films and shows.
Savage Avengers Draft: She-Hulk | Elektra | Echo | Gamora | Rogue | Chun Li | White Widow | Shuri

Spectral Knight

Post by Spectral Knight » 22 Nov 2022, 09:11

Blackcyclops wrote:
22 Nov 2022, 05:09
So like how does everybody pronounce Sauron (Dino-dude) and Sauron (LotR baddie)? The same? Differently?
Oh, BC, you've just given me a massive case of self-doubt. I just don't know. I kinda thought I did the same as Anna, but now I'm not sure.

Magnus

Post by Magnus » 22 Nov 2022, 17:45

Sauron dino-dude - SARR-on
Sauron LOTR - SOW-ron

I think it would make sense to make Sauron dino-dude like "dinosaur", which I pronounce the last half of like soar/sore, but when I find myself reading the name I instinctively pronounce it more as sarr (like "czar" without the z, or SARS).

Blackcyclops

Post by Blackcyclops » 23 Nov 2022, 00:21

Okay cool…I feel less weird now.

The English language is so fascinating lol…

Also, I watched Amy Jo Johnson’s IG video about Jason David Frank and I started bawling like a baby.
So on one hand we have the existence of a being who can reset the entire timeline, destroying everything…, and on the other hand we have a few mind wipes and some gaslighting. You're right, totally evenly weighted.
-Cly

Anna Raven

Post by Anna Raven » 23 Nov 2022, 06:14

Blackcyclops wrote:
23 Nov 2022, 00:21
Okay cool…I feel less weird now.

The English language is so fascinating lol…

Also, I watched Amy Jo Johnson’s IG video about Jason David Frank and I started bawling like a baby.
To be fair the LotR Sauron isn't exactly English, it's a form of Elvish called Black Speech. But yeh, I get that Tolkien derived it from Old English.

Spectral Knight

Post by Spectral Knight » 23 Nov 2022, 15:19

I wish I could've watched the Germany Japan game. With Spain also in their group, it really puts Germany at risk. If Costa Rica get a point this afternoon (unlikely, but possible) we could see one of the big favourites out easily.

Cable

Post by Cable » 23 Nov 2022, 15:30

Be glad you are in the UK. The early game in the US starts at 5am. (On the east coast. On the west coast it's 2am with the second game at 5am!)
Best Comics of Week 47

Spectral Knight

Post by Spectral Knight » 23 Nov 2022, 16:40

Yeah, but you've got the World Cup next ;)

I hope that means we'll get an early evening game, then two night games for UK timings, which as far as World Cups go, isn't bad at all.

das_boot

Post by das_boot » 23 Nov 2022, 22:03

Oh? And the next one’s only in three and a half years, right?

Spectral Knight

Post by Spectral Knight » 24 Nov 2022, 10:16

June - July in '26, so yeah, pretty much.