Welcome to unstablemolecules.com, the discussion home for mightyavengers.net, uncanon.com and uncannyxmen.net!

Re: Random Thoughts

Level 01: Get to know the other posters better. What do they do when they don't read comics?
Blackcyclops

Re: Re: Random Thoughts

Post by Blackcyclops » 04 Aug 2022, 03:52

SK I just imagined you with a pint and enjoying yourself lol..

Sorry in my head you’re the most British blue-collar man I can imagine lol…
So on one hand we have the existence of a being who can reset the entire timeline, destroying everything…, and on the other hand we have a few mind wipes and some gaslighting. You're right, totally evenly weighted.
-Cly

das_boot

Post by das_boot » 04 Aug 2022, 07:10

Crutey Anth wrote:
03 Aug 2022, 19:23
@BC: Congratualtions! I got married last week--when did you? (maybe we're wedding day twins!)
WHOOP WHOOP! Congratulations!
Sinister’s Lab now secretly altering other player’s posts in the RPG section

Spectral Knight

Post by Spectral Knight » 04 Aug 2022, 07:38

Blackcyclops wrote:
04 Aug 2022, 03:52
SK I just imagined you with a pint and enjoying yourself lol..

Sorry in my head you’re the most British blue-collar man I can imagine lol…
Lol, there were certainly a few pints drunk :lol:
I was alright (despite the drinks mixing) but half the guests were slaughtered.My best man went home a couple hours before the end of the evening as he was... fucked, to use the technical term, and he normally drinks me under the table, but he'd had 5 pints before the ceremony itself let alone the drinks reception and the meal.

It's funny you think I'm blue-collared though, since entering the world of employment I've always had an office job, and I work in marketing (or the "colouring-in department", as its often referred to by our sales team), which is like anything but manual labour...!
I guess I still carry a lot of my "class" from my upbringing, my dad worked as market stall owner in London, and as a kid/teenager that was my "Saturday job". Meant I was exposed to "industrial" language long before some of my peers.

Cable

Post by Cable » 04 Aug 2022, 09:48

As the World Cup approaches I need to know which UK folk are from Scotland or Northern Ireland, and thus can remain dear friends, and which are from England and Wales and thus are the bitterest of enemies.

We aren't getting out of the group...
Could be worse though. I could be from Italy.
Best Comics of Week 31

X-titles: Immortal X-Men #5 by Kieron Gillen (4) and Michele Bandini (2)
Non-X titles: Moon Knight #14 by Jed MacKay (2) and Alessandro Cappuccio (1)

In parentheses number of times creator had best comic this year

Spectral Knight

Post by Spectral Knight » 04 Aug 2022, 11:08

Bitterest enemies, Cable, sorry.

Cable

Post by Cable » 04 Aug 2022, 13:50

I would of course love if we won the World Cup, it would be an amazing accomplishment for the US soccer organization, but it also feels almost wrong to knock out countries that care about it so much lol. England (or Wales!) winning the World Cup would mean a lot more to the British people than the US winning would mean to most Americans. Football, which we don't even call football, is like the 6th biggest sport in the US (I would guess the order is American football, baseball, basketball, hockey, golf, soccer. And actually if you included motor sports it would drop even lower because NASCAR is huge). But then again the US getting to a World Cup final might be what we need for the sport to break through. There is kind of a self-perpetuating cycle where we aren't very good at it, so it isn't popular, so the best young athletes don't consider it a primary option, so we aren't very good at it, and so on. If we could get a big boost in recognition and popularity for the sport perhaps a new generation could change things.
Best Comics of Week 31

X-titles: Immortal X-Men #5 by Kieron Gillen (4) and Michele Bandini (2)
Non-X titles: Moon Knight #14 by Jed MacKay (2) and Alessandro Cappuccio (1)

In parentheses number of times creator had best comic this year

Spectral Knight

Post by Spectral Knight » 04 Aug 2022, 15:35

I wouldn't say the US aren't very good at football, it's just they're not world-beaters. But they're miles ahead of some European teams that we have to play against in qualifying, and there's been decent American players for years, often playing in Europe, though.

Funnily enough, football's not the most popular of sports in Wales, either. Rugby (Union) is FAR bigger there than football. The best Welsh league teams tend to play in the English league (Cardiff, Swansea, and Newport, although the latter are crap). Oddly, there's a nominally English team that carries the name of an English town, plays in the English league system, but has a stadium that actually crosses the border of England + Wales (Chester City).
You should also be aware, inter-British rivalries are strong, basically the Welsh and the Scots hate the English, the English hate the Scots, but aren't as bothered about the Welsh (except when we're against them). And Ireland... it's complicated.
There's all sorts of odd things too - as you'll have players born and bred in England but will choose to represent one of the other nations in Britain instead (you can play for the country of your grandparents or parents, as well as the one you were born in).

I do think the way the MLS doesn't really have the league pyramid system, and US team sports is very 'franchise-driven' doesn't help it's development of the national team - I mean, correct me if I'm wrong, but don't you draft players in from the College teams each year, and College sports offers a scholarship opportunity too?
None of that happens in the English or Welsh leagues, where you have academies which can start from kids, that feed into the club as they get older - usually reaching the first team in their late teens, but sometimes players may make their professional debuts as early as 16. It means youngsters are training with world class athletes from a very young age. And often younger players who are struggling to make the first team at their club will get loaned out to teams further down the pyramid to play against physically stronger, older players to build them up and give them an experience of first team football.

das_boot

Post by das_boot » 04 Aug 2022, 16:42

Cable wrote:
04 Aug 2022, 09:48
As the World Cup approaches I need to know which UK folk are from Scotland or Northern Ireland, and thus can remain dear friends, and which are from England and Wales and thus are the bitterest of enemies.

English but have Scottish and Irish ancestry 🤷‍♂️

I also think it’s just one of those things where the US has so many sports that are distinct and unique to them (American football, basketball, baseball) that it doesn’t REALLY make sense why they would be so concerned about football where there’s a global event that they’re part of once every four years or so… as opposed to the Superb Owl, and the things that the other sports have 🤷‍♂️

Spectral Knight

Post by Spectral Knight » 04 Aug 2022, 16:53

Haha I'm certain most English people can claim Irish and/or Scots ancestry. I know there's definitely Irish mixed in with my melting pot, and pretty sure some Scots too (alongside, German, French, American and Lord knows what else).

EphemeristX

Post by EphemeristX » 04 Aug 2022, 17:22

das_boot wrote:
04 Aug 2022, 16:42
Cable wrote:
04 Aug 2022, 09:48

English but have Scottish and Irish ancestry 🤷‍♂️

I also think it’s just one of those things where the US has so many sports that are distinct and unique to them (American football, basketball, baseball) that it doesn’t REALLY make sense why they would be so concerned about football where there’s a global event that they’re part of once every four years or so… as opposed to the Superb Owl, and the things that the other sports have 🤷‍♂️
Baseball: World Series
Basketball: NBA Finals (boringest of names)
Hockey: Stanley Cup
I really wanna blow your mind
but I haven't got the time.

Anna Raven

Post by Anna Raven » 04 Aug 2022, 18:06

I'm on both sides. I have Welsh and Irish ancestry. But I of course I am just one of those lame Americans who doesn't really follow soccer.
Savage Avengers Draft: She-Hulk | Elektra | Echo | Gamora | Rogue | Chun Li | White Widow | Shuri

Blackcyclops

Post by Blackcyclops » 04 Aug 2022, 20:12

Not trying to be too nosey or insensitive but for my fellow posters who are single and do enjoy an occasional naked frolic with men, has the monkeypox situation put any added anxiety to dating?

I’m old enough that AIDS and stuff still struck fear into me when I started having sex, so I remember it being a very long time before I did anything unprotected and even then it’s only been with four women in my entire almost 40 years.

It’s like mind-blowing to me how my teenage/young adult sons have zero fear of getting HIV/AIDS. And not because of the treatments for the diease or because they’re both virgins and haven’t had gf’s yet but because it’s just not in their risk assessment. For them the scary thing is having a baby.
So on one hand we have the existence of a being who can reset the entire timeline, destroying everything…, and on the other hand we have a few mind wipes and some gaslighting. You're right, totally evenly weighted.
-Cly

das_boot

Post by das_boot » 04 Aug 2022, 21:14

Blackcyclops wrote:
04 Aug 2022, 20:12
Not trying to be too nosey or insensitive but for my fellow posters who are single and do enjoy an occasional naked frolic with men, has the monkeypox situation put any added anxiety to dating?

I’m old enough that AIDS and stuff still struck fear into me when I started having sex, so I remember it being a very long time before I did anything unprotected and even then it’s only been with four women in my entire almost 40 years.

It’s like mind-blowing to me how my teenage/young adult sons have zero fear of getting HIV/AIDS. And not because of the treatments for the diease or because they’re both virgins and haven’t had gf’s yet but because it’s just not in their risk assessment. For them the scary thing is having a baby.
Bold of you to assume I’m even considered a dating prospect to be honest.

Honestly? It feels a little like covid 2. I was just about getting my head around the fact that it’s safe to date again in the last year or so and this has kind of put me off a bit, even though I know (think?) I’m not in a high risk area 🤷‍♂️

AIDS and HIV— all I’m going to say is that anyone— straight, gay, bi, questioning, pan— EVERYONE— should watch “It’s a Sin”. I watched it and it prompted a really candid conversation about HIV and AIDS with my parents. One of my earliest memories is of a TV advert that was a flaming tombstone telling you about AIDS. It aired on all tv channels, including the BBC which doesn’t typically show adverts for anything other than their own programming. I distinctly remember that being on TV when my brother was a newborn so I really can’t have been much older than about 3, but I remember being terrified about it. Even my parents who are straight were scared of it because of the lack of information about it, or at least, the fact that information wasn’t easy to come by.

I might have told this story before so if I have then whoops sorry not sorry. When I was in the midlands one of the other managers in my area was this absolute Angel of an older gay man— he was in his early sixties and had moved to London in his early twenties. We got talking about Pride and stuff like that and he said he only ever attended the vigils, and one of the other managers asked him why. I’m genuinely getting a bit choked up typing this btw, but he told us that he used to run one of the gay bars in London, and he told us that at the height of the AIDS crisis, it wasn’t unheard of for certain regulars to start looking sick, and then a few months later they’d find out that they’d passed away. In the early days they didn’t know what it was or what was happening, just that it was hitting the gay community hard. He said that he honestly couldn’t count how many of his friends he’d lost due to it, or how many of these men would die alone, without their family, and how scary that must have been and ugh. I can’t even.

Blackcyclops

Post by Blackcyclops » 04 Aug 2022, 21:32

I remember very vividly having lessons in elementary school where we’d watch a video and it would be like “You don’t get AIDS from holding hands, sharing a water fountain or hugging our friends” and that shit stuck with me forever.

I listened to a podcast Slow Burn season 6 about the AIdS epidemic’s beginning and damn that shit was powerful. I highly recommend it.
-Cly

Magik84

Post by Magik84 » 04 Aug 2022, 21:34

@dasboot can't imagine how terrible that would have been. It's a Sin is an excellent show that from what I can tell really captured that time, thought it was really well done like in the first 2 episodes it's only background conversations and stuff that address it until it starts becoming a bigger thing.
X-Editorial Draft: Prodigy, Vange Whedon, lil' Iceman, Wallflower, Cecelia Reyes, Mimic, U-Go Girl, Doc Samson, Nature Girl

tokenBG1009

Post by tokenBG1009 » 05 Aug 2022, 21:37

I didn't realize it how the Inhumans failed SO HARD that they didn't just lose their show. They've been basically wiped from the comics and the X-Men took their shtick back so hard they took the Inhumans' thing as well.
"Sometimes I do feel like I'm a failure. Like there's no hope for me. But even so, I'm not gonna give up. Ever!" -Izuku Midoriya

Jindianajonz

Post by Jindianajonz » 05 Aug 2022, 23:53

tokenBG1009 wrote:
05 Aug 2022, 21:37
I didn't realize it how the Inhumans failed SO HARD that they didn't just lose their show. They've been basically wiped from the comics and the X-Men took their shtick back so hard they took the Inhumans' thing as well.
I'm guessing you've been browsing reddit today?

Blackcyclops

Post by Blackcyclops » 06 Aug 2022, 00:05

Episode 1 of Sandman…wish me luck
-Cly

tokenBG1009

Post by tokenBG1009 » 06 Aug 2022, 00:26

Jindianajonz wrote:
05 Aug 2022, 23:53
tokenBG1009 wrote:
05 Aug 2022, 21:37
I'm guessing you've been browsing reddit today?
Huh, funny. Nah, I was listening to, weirdly, a World of Warcraft podcast and they were talking about X-Men.

Also, is Chris Claremont okay? Sounds like he went full "Old man yells at clouds" today at C2E2.
"Sometimes I do feel like I'm a failure. Like there's no hope for me. But even so, I'm not gonna give up. Ever!" -Izuku Midoriya

EphemeristX

Post by EphemeristX » 06 Aug 2022, 01:18

That's him every time anyone asks him about the X-Men these days. I wish he'd do like John Byrne is doing and just do a fan version of what he'd planned for the books before leaving. It's really cool. Just go all the way back to before editorial got involved and start fresh. Bring in Sara Grey, etc.

Gremlin

Post by Gremlin » 06 Aug 2022, 11:58

He did X-Men Forever didn't he. That was basically Marvel giving him free reign to do whatever the hell he liked in an alternate reality. It picked up after the initial arc of X-Men (2nd series). I remember he killed of Beast and Wolverine, there were multiple clones of Storm or something like that.
Everybody is entitled you their opinion...but yours is wrong.

EphemeristX

Post by EphemeristX » 06 Aug 2022, 14:47

Yeah, but even that started after X-Men #3. At that point, it'd been five or six years of editorial changes to his work. His plans for X-Factor were to include Jean's sister Sara instead and keep Jean dead, giving her Caliban-esque mutant tracking powers. I'd just like for the man to be able to excise those brain goblins because he seems to be really raw about it, even 30 years later.

BardicOne

Post by BardicOne » 06 Aug 2022, 16:54

I love CC's work but he strikes me as one of those writers who holds on to this stuff because he never believed he needed an editor and his ideas were brilliant because they were HIS ideas. Reminds me of wrestling and all these folks will leave WWE and talk about how "Vince held us back and wouldn't let us do what we felt like doing" then they get on the Indys or now AEW and "their creative freedom" is really dumb. Or worse highly self-destructive.

At least CC won't end up on the side of the road starring in "DUI Bodycam Idiots". That video of Jeff Hardy is hard to watch, bro should not have been driving at all.
Formerly Known As RingOtaku
posting vlogs and game streams at: https://www.youtube.com/user/gotyoursomething/videos

Blackcyclops

Post by Blackcyclops » 06 Aug 2022, 17:21

That sounds really depressing.
-Cly

_Rick_

Post by _Rick_ » 06 Aug 2022, 17:58

EphemeristX wrote:
06 Aug 2022, 01:18
That's him every time anyone asks him about the X-Men these days. I wish he'd do like John Byrne is doing and just do a fan version of what he'd planned for the books before leaving. It's really cool. Just go all the way back to before editorial got involved and start fresh. Bring in Sara Grey, etc.
Is Claremont allowed to do that?

Claremont has stated publicly in the past that he has an exclusivity contract at Marvel as a response for why he can't produce work for others like DC. Depending on how strict it is, he might not be able to do something like Byrne is doing.

What I've seen online is that Claremont entered a lifelong exclusivity contract with Marvel Comics when he suffered a stroke whilst writing New Excalibur. Don't know if that's accurate but, if so, it would explain a lot. What seemed like a kindness at the time (and was probably meant as such) has become a creative prison for him (hence the bitterness). People have asked why Marvel doesn't give him more books to write and his normal answer is "I don't know, ask them and tell me". His recent statements also show that, contrary to popular belief, he's not just interested in writing in the past. He flat out said he wanted to write stories in the Krakoan era:
“There’s so much to my eye that could be done [with the current comic book Marvel Universe] that would be interesting,” Claremont said, listing ideas relating to the current Krakoan set-up in the X-Men titles. (Primarily about how it would feel for mutants who didn’t want to leave their everyday existences to move into the mutant utopia and abandon their human relationships.) At another point during the panel, he said, “Part of me is thinking, I could have such fun playing in the back alleys of Krakoa… I’m like, I’m fine. I’ll play. I’ll play by your rules, for Christ’s sake!”
It's an angle that many fans have been asking for. I remember that many thought that Fallen Angels was going to be that.