Welcome to unstablemolecules.com, the discussion home for mightyavengers.net, uncanon.com and uncannyxmen.net!

Re: Random Thoughts

Level 01: Get to know the other posters better. What do they do when they don't read comics?
Nu-D

Re: Re: Random Thoughts

Post by Nu-D » 24 Nov 2021, 18:45

EphemeristX wrote:
23 Nov 2021, 23:06
Yeah, I have a Health Savings Account with a High Deductible Health Plan, so basically it only really covers me if I spend more than 3000 a year, but I have a savings account to use in the meantime. The flip side is that everything I would have paid to pay for a PPO would instead go into this savings account that technically lasts until I die (but I can only use it for medical things), and I just pop in 50 bucks a month. At least I know if I fall down the stairs or need surgery, I'm good, but otherwise it sucks. US Healthcare is a sham.
Our HSA only rolls over a few hundred dollars a year. Anything over that is lost to the gov’ment.

It may vary state-to-state, but make sure you’re not putting more money in there than you’ll use and risking it evaporating someday.

Edit: looks like there are two different kinds. Those that are used with a high deductible insurance can roll over the full amount every year. The one we have is a different kind that doesn’t go with a high-deductible insurance plan, so we’re limited on how much we can roll over.
He/him/his

Crutey Anth

Post by Crutey Anth » 24 Nov 2021, 21:00

das_boot wrote:
23 Nov 2021, 10:51
tokenBG1009 wrote:
23 Nov 2021, 02:16
The joy of being a contract employee is I get paid a decent amount, but beenfits don't exist. Tried to sign up on healthcare.gov and after the tax rebate the cheapest plan is over $200.
A MONTH?! Jesus. Another timely reminder to never take the NHS for granted
In fairness the NHS probably costs you about the same. Its something like 2600 per person per year, assuming 80% comes from your tax and national insurance that'd be £174 per person monthly.

But we don't have to pay out of pocket copay, overpay stuff ontop of that

EphemeristX

Post by EphemeristX » 24 Nov 2021, 21:39

Nu-D wrote:
24 Nov 2021, 18:45
EphemeristX wrote:
23 Nov 2021, 23:06
Yeah, I have a Health Savings Account with a High Deductible Health Plan, so basically it only really covers me if I spend more than 3000 a year, but I have a savings account to use in the meantime. The flip side is that everything I would have paid to pay for a PPO would instead go into this savings account that technically lasts until I die (but I can only use it for medical things), and I just pop in 50 bucks a month. At least I know if I fall down the stairs or need surgery, I'm good, but otherwise it sucks. US Healthcare is a sham.
Our HSA only rolls over a few hundred dollars a year. Anything over that is lost to the gov’ment.

It may vary state-to-state, but make sure you’re not putting more money in there than you’ll use and risking it evaporating someday.

Edit: looks like there are two different kinds. Those that are used with a high deductible insurance can roll over the full amount every year. The one we have is a different kind that doesn’t go with a high-deductible insurance plan, so we’re limited on how much we can roll over.
Yeah, I have the one that rolls over. I've got over five grand in the account as of right now.
"You can leave your valuables here
with me," he smiled.

tokenBG1009

Post by tokenBG1009 » 24 Nov 2021, 23:12

Got my COVID booster and paid out of pocket, $20, for my flu shot today. This is all to avoid having to visit family for Thanksgiving.
"Sometimes I do feel like I'm a failure. Like there's no hope for me. But even so, I'm not gonna give up. Ever!" -Izuku Midoriya

BardicOne

Post by BardicOne » 25 Nov 2021, 05:06

Been reading old Fantastic Four and man, Sharon Ventura kind of got a raw deal. Really dragged through the ringer over and over. She deserves a happy retirement.
Formerly Known As RingOtaku
posting vlogs and game streams at: https://www.youtube.com/user/gotyoursomething/videos

P-90

Post by P-90 » 25 Nov 2021, 13:21

BardicOne wrote:
25 Nov 2021, 05:06
Been reading old Fantastic Four and man, Sharon Ventura kind of got a raw deal. Really dragged through the ringer over and over. She deserves a happy retirement.
I don't own many issues featuring her but I prefer her in her Ms. Marvel identity to her being She-Thing.
'A shared universe, like any fictional construct, hinges on suspension of disbelief. When continuity is tossed away, it tatters the construct. Undermines it'

Cable

Post by Cable » 25 Nov 2021, 13:27

BardicOne wrote:
Didn't she later become the governor of Minnesota?
Best Comics of Week 47

X-titles: X-Men #5 by Gerry Duggan (3) and Javier Pina (1), Ze Carlos (1)
Non-X titles: Black Panther #1 by John Ridley (1) and Juann Cabal (1)

In parentheses number of times creator has had best comic this year

Blackcyclops

Post by Blackcyclops » 25 Nov 2021, 13:29

House of Gucci tonight!
Morrison Era 2001-2005, Decimation Era from 2005-2012, Bendis Era 2012-2016, M-Pox era 2016-2017, and Resurrxion 2017-2019, Hickman Era 2019-?

BardicOne

Post by BardicOne » 25 Nov 2021, 19:47

Cable wrote:
25 Nov 2021, 13:27
BardicOne wrote:
Didn't she later become the governor of Minnesota?
Not quite.At least not in this reality. Maybe in a What If
Formerly Known As RingOtaku
posting vlogs and game streams at: https://www.youtube.com/user/gotyoursomething/videos

das_boot

Post by das_boot » 26 Nov 2021, 12:32

Crutey Anth wrote:
24 Nov 2021, 21:00
das_boot wrote:
23 Nov 2021, 10:51
tokenBG1009 wrote:
23 Nov 2021, 02:16
The joy of being a contract employee is I get paid a decent amount, but beenfits don't exist. Tried to sign up on healthcare.gov and after the tax rebate the cheapest plan is over $200.
A MONTH?! Jesus. Another timely reminder to never take the NHS for granted
In fairness the NHS probably costs you about the same. Its something like 2600 per person per year, assuming 80% comes from your tax and national insurance that'd be £174 per person monthly.

But we don't have to pay out of pocket copay, overpay stuff ontop of that
Yeah, that’s what I mean— like, we don’t ever see that money. It isn’t money that we get on our earnings, so it’s not like we miss it, and it’s not like we ever have to worry about “can I afford to go to see the doctor or am I just praying that whatever’s making me sick isn’t something serious”
Sinister’s Lab now secretly altering other player’s posts in the RPG section

Blackcyclops

Post by Blackcyclops » 28 Nov 2021, 14:33

Just finished Cowboy Bebop the series…I have mixed feelings on it but overall I recommend it for fans of the anime, Westerns and noirs and action films overall…
Morrison Era 2001-2005, Decimation Era from 2005-2012, Bendis Era 2012-2016, M-Pox era 2016-2017, and Resurrxion 2017-2019, Hickman Era 2019-?

Spectral Knight

Post by Spectral Knight » 29 Nov 2021, 15:09

Thoughts on tribute acts?

I ask as I went to a Manchester tribute night (Clone Roses, Oasish and These Smiths) at the Shepards Bush Empire on Saturday night and I must admit, it was storming good fun. The Smiths cover act was probably the busiest I've seen an opener for a long, long time.

Having seen the actual Roses twice, Oasis on the Don't Believe the Truth tour, and chief misery guts Morrisey himself all live before, the tribute bands did a decent attempt at getting the favourites in... but there's something a little Phoenix Nights about tribute acts, isn't there? I mean the whole dressing up as someone else to play said someone else's songs and that. I'm conflicted.

Blackcyclops

Post by Blackcyclops » 29 Nov 2021, 16:16

What the hell is a Phoenix Nights?

_Rick_

Post by _Rick_ » 29 Nov 2021, 16:52

Blackcyclops wrote:
29 Nov 2021, 16:16
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jxCK7h2TBKM

@Spectral, I'm also a bit divided on it. My knee jerk reaction is that bands tend to make most of their money from shows so it does leave a bit of a bad taste to have someone just copy them. The lack of originality is grating. However, let's face it, most people won't be able to attend those big shows, either due to the price or due to the fact that big bands only perform in very selective venues. Of course, it's not as bad in London, but go to other cities/countries and the costs/logistics make it prohibitive to attend.

It should also be noted that not everyone can make it big in music especially outside of the English speaking world. Go to other countries and these tribute bands are extremely common (usually mixing some of their own songs). To be fair, they don't even try much to look like the originals. I have been to some shows where the bands were so good that, other than the scale, they genuinely outperform the experience of the originals. They need to do these acts to make a living since, no matter how good they are, they would never reach the heights of the bands they mimic.

Spectral Knight

Post by Spectral Knight » 29 Nov 2021, 17:43

Blackcyclops wrote:
29 Nov 2021, 16:16
Aww BC you're missing out. Phoenix Nights is a classic Peter Kay sitcom about a working men's club "oop north". Not sure if there's such a thing in the US, but a working man's club is like a pub come social club with a lounge area for "entertainment". It can host anything from bingo nights to small bands, to comedians. A lot of stand up acts got started in the working men's clubs. They'll also, through their committees, run days out (a day at the races or down on the coast or what have ya)

-----

Yeah Rick, I would've been bang against them in my younger, musical snobbery days... but some of the acts covered (like the weekend's) aren't even active anymore, or like you said, don't play anything but larger venues. And it was definitely an "old boys" audience (me and the missus were on the younger end of the punters and we're mid 30s) who kinda went all in on the retro element. I think I'm mostly against tribute acts of bands still performing..that seems quite a bit more lazy and capitalising on active performers

Bizarrely I was reading something the other day about how Australia is infamous for producing tribute acts as big bands often missed it as it was a pain to tour because of the distances involved. Oddly enough, there are more than a few examples of perforners in tribute bands that have ended up joining the band they covered. Probably because they tour the same tracks week in week out.

Cable

Post by Cable » 29 Nov 2021, 18:12

Spectral Knight wrote:
29 Nov 2021, 17:43

Not sure if there's such a thing in the US, but a working man's club is like a pub come social club with a lounge area for "entertainment". It can host anything from bingo nights to small bands, to comedians. A lot of stand up acts got started in the working men's clubs. They'll also, through their committees, run days out (a day at the races or down on the coast or what have ya)
This sounds very similar to a role filled in small town USA by what are called Moose clubs or VFW posts (which you don't have to be a veteran to join, just somehow related to one I think?) Comedians I don't think are common but local music acts, bingo, playing cards and such is. Mostly older folks drinking and socializing most of the time though.
Last edited by Cable on 29 Nov 2021, 18:14, edited 1 time in total.
Best Comics of Week 47

X-titles: X-Men #5 by Gerry Duggan (3) and Javier Pina (1), Ze Carlos (1)
Non-X titles: Black Panther #1 by John Ridley (1) and Juann Cabal (1)

In parentheses number of times creator has had best comic this year

Anna Raven

Post by Anna Raven » 29 Nov 2021, 18:13

Cable wrote:
29 Nov 2021, 18:12
Spectral Knight wrote:

Not sure if there's such a thing in the US, but a working man's club is like a pub come social club with a lounge area for "entertainment". It can host anything from bingo nights to small bands, to comedians. A lot of stand up acts got started in the working men's clubs. They'll also, through their committees, run days out (a day at the races or down on the coast or what have ya)
This sounds very similar to a role filled in small town USA by what are called Moose clubs or VFW posts (which you don't have to be a veteran to join, just somehow related to one I think?)
Or the Shriners.
Defenders Draft: Hulk | Scarlet Witch |Colossus | Valkyrie | She-Hulk | Iron Fist |
The Villain: Xemnu

Nu-D

Post by Nu-D » 29 Nov 2021, 18:14

Anna Raven wrote:
29 Nov 2021, 18:13
Cable wrote:
29 Nov 2021, 18:12
Spectral Knight wrote:

This sounds very similar to a role filled in small town USA by what are called Moose clubs or VFW posts (which you don't have to be a veteran to join, just somehow related to one I think?)
Or the Shriners.
Or the Elks.

Or the Rotary.

These days, most Masons chapters too.

Knights of Columbus?

Lots of fraternal organizations for men to drink beer, play bingo and occasionally run a charity auction or whatnot.
He/him/his

P-90

Post by P-90 » 29 Nov 2021, 18:18

I've never seen any tribute acts in person, I assume it's a great chance for pun band names. Oh and I loved Phoenix Nights.
'A shared universe, like any fictional construct, hinges on suspension of disbelief. When continuity is tossed away, it tatters the construct. Undermines it'

Spectral Knight

Post by Spectral Knight » 29 Nov 2021, 18:48

Yeah tribute acts are ALL about pun names... do you remember "No Way Sis"? They were a massive Oasis tribute act. Amusingly they even got a top 40 track with I'd Like to Teach the World to Sing, after the original band were sued for Shakermaker's shameless rip off of the track.

There's a quality named ABBA one called "Bjorn Again" which makes me chuckle... there's also that weird thing with tribute acts who cover bands in a totally different style. Hayseed Dixie and Dread Zeppelin are fairly well l
known examples.

Anna Raven

Post by Anna Raven » 29 Nov 2021, 19:05

I saw Live Voltage - an AC/DC tribute band and Unchained - a Van Halen tribute band back in the early 00's. The VH tribute band was the best, just because the David Lee Roth analog kept ordering whiskey shots and was wasted about halfway through the show.
Defenders Draft: Hulk | Scarlet Witch |Colossus | Valkyrie | She-Hulk | Iron Fist |

Crutey Anth

Post by Crutey Anth » 29 Nov 2021, 19:29

Spectral Knight wrote:
29 Nov 2021, 18:48
Yeah tribute acts are ALL about pun names... do you remember "No Way Sis"? They were a massive Oasis tribute act. Amusingly they even got a top 40 track with I'd Like to Teach the World to Sing, after the original band were sued for Shakermaker's shameless rip off of the track.

There's a quality named ABBA one called "Bjorn Again" which makes me chuckle... there's also that weird thing with tribute acts who cover bands in a totally different style. Hayseed Dixie and Dread Zeppelin are fairly well l
known examples.
You ever seen Elvana? (What if Elvis was the lead singer of Nirvana essentially)

Anna Raven

Post by Anna Raven » 29 Nov 2021, 22:21

I thought it was going to be what if Elvira was the lead singer of Nirvana, and honestly I think I'd prefer that.

das_boot

Post by das_boot » 29 Nov 2021, 23:02

Crutey Anth wrote:
29 Nov 2021, 19:29
Spectral Knight wrote:
29 Nov 2021, 18:48

known examples.
You ever seen Elvana? (What if Elvis was the lead singer of Nirvana essentially)
They’re AMAZING. I’ve also seen the Red Hot Chilli Pipers, which were a band who did RHCP covers but with bagpipes.

The venue I used to work at once had a Lady Gaga tribute act, who told us that she also did an Amy Winehouse tribute because they basically have the same voice. I absolutely didn’t believe her until she did, for her sound check, a ten minute medley of Gaga and Winehouse mashups and holy shit
Sinister’s Lab now secretly altering other player’s posts in the RPG section

EvilMonkeyPope

Post by EvilMonkeyPope » 29 Nov 2021, 23:34

The greatest working man's club is The Ancient & Benevolent Order Of The Lynx thanks to its international assortment of lodges. Its most famous US branch is Lodge 49.