Welcome to unstablemolecules.com, the discussion home for mightyavengers.net, uncanon.com and uncannyxmen.net!

Re: Random Thoughts

Level 01: Get to know the other posters better. What do they do when they don't read comics?
User avatar
bamf
Posts: 496
Joined: 11 Jun 2015, 16:52
Location: New York

Re: Re: Random Thoughts

Post by bamf » 19 Feb 2021, 04:46

I’ve watched some Critical Role and some Dimension20 which has really been the impetus for my forward steps. I would for sure be down to do something if people on the board had some interest. I also on a whim ordered the essentials kit earlier today. So maybe I’ll force my wife to play and some others Hahaha.
Avengers Generation Draft:
Avengers: Teen Hero Outreach System (ATHOS)
Spider-Man, Crystal, Valkyrie, Justice, Cannonball, Quake, Manifold, Smasher, Namorita (Captain America support)

User avatar
Spectral Knight
Posts: 2194
Joined: 14 Apr 2007, 21:00

Re: Re: Random Thoughts

Post by Spectral Knight » 19 Feb 2021, 09:58

Eleven months gone working from home, and our company still hasn't sorted our VPN out properly. FFS - it's really not making things any easier; trying to design with high-res image files when said files are on a server in the Middle East...! Aargh.

User avatar
Anna Raven
Posts: 4965
Joined: 28 Jun 2007, 22:53

Re: Re: Random Thoughts

Post by Anna Raven » 19 Feb 2021, 12:21

Spectral Knight wrote:
19 Feb 2021, 09:58
Eleven months gone working from home, and our company still hasn't sorted our VPN out properly. FFS - it's really not making things any easier; trying to design with high-res image files when said files are on a server in the Middle East...! Aargh.
Our company literally instituted a bunch of new draconian restrictions to Outlook and Office unless you have an official firm computer loaded with thier spyware and security "features" that block all the programs I need for my job. I can't even copy/paste from email anymore. So yeah, I feel ya.
Avengers Generations: Captain America | Rogue | Red Wolf | Shang Chi | Brawn | Storm | Stingray | Iron Man | Nova | Makkari |

User avatar
Spectral Knight
Posts: 2194
Joined: 14 Apr 2007, 21:00

Re: Re: Random Thoughts

Post by Spectral Knight » 19 Feb 2021, 13:04

Security features = basically offer no additional security whatsoever, but will throttle your bandwidth considerably, probably stop you doing what you're being paid to do, and almost certainly drive you to drink or become a nervous wreck...

I'm not an IT person, I'm a digi marketing person, but because our outsourced IT company are so horrendously useless, whereas I'm vaguely competent, I also get asked a load of questions about stuff that I have ZERO control over.

If I was ever to run my own company, I would NEVER hire external IT support, and NEVER hire anyone who doesn't understand that IT's job is to facilitate everyone else doing their job. Some of the changes that are made by our mob are designed to simply frustrate. (For my first three months I was blocked from FB, despite it being my job to maintain our FB channel...!)

User avatar
bamf
Posts: 496
Joined: 11 Jun 2015, 16:52
Location: New York

Re: Re: Random Thoughts

Post by bamf » 19 Feb 2021, 14:10

As someone who works as external IT support... heyyyyyy....c'..c'mon.... We're not all useless!
Avengers Generation Draft:
Avengers: Teen Hero Outreach System (ATHOS)
Spider-Man, Crystal, Valkyrie, Justice, Cannonball, Quake, Manifold, Smasher, Namorita (Captain America support)

User avatar
Spectral Knight
Posts: 2194
Joined: 14 Apr 2007, 21:00

Re: Random Thoughts

Post by Spectral Knight » 19 Feb 2021, 14:15

I'm sure you're fine, Bamf. It's just the idiots I've experienced over the last 15 years that make me despondent. Now I know who to turn to on tech problems though - so your card is marked :D

User avatar
EphemeristX
Posts: 5754
Joined: 09 Apr 2007, 16:50
Contact:

Re: Re: Random Thoughts

Post by EphemeristX » 19 Feb 2021, 15:52

Yeah, never admit to being an IT person. It's like people finding out you're a psychologist or a nurse.
http://dancehall-daze.tumblr.com

"Take your baby by the ears
And play upon her darkest fears"

User avatar
Spectral Knight
Posts: 2194
Joined: 14 Apr 2007, 21:00

Re: Random Thoughts

Post by Spectral Knight » 19 Feb 2021, 17:26

Or revenue and customs...

User avatar
Anna Raven
Posts: 4965
Joined: 28 Jun 2007, 22:53

Re: Re: Random Thoughts

Post by Anna Raven » 19 Feb 2021, 22:08

Can any of you DC lovers out there help me remember a comic from the 2000-2005 time period? It was about Superman and Lois on an alien world (it seemed to be another continuity) and the art style was extremely cartoony, it almost looked 3D animated style (although it was definitely a 2D illustration). I don't remember exactly who the artist would have been, but it kind of reminded me either of Sean "Cheeks" Galloway or Nick Bradshaw. Thanks.
Avengers Generations: Captain America | Rogue | Red Wolf | Shang Chi | Brawn | Storm | Stingray | Iron Man | Nova | Makkari |

User avatar
EvilMonkeyPope
Posts: 5745
Joined: 07 Apr 2007, 22:07
Contact:

Re: Re: Random Thoughts

Post by EvilMonkeyPope » 20 Feb 2021, 01:38

I got a survey from DC that asked if I liked Gail Simone's art style & would like merchandise featuring it. I'm not sure if it's a trick, but I gave her top marks anyway. If everybody who takes the Iconic DC Artists survey clicks they want to buy products featuring her art, DC Comics will be obligated to produce merchandise of Gail Simone's artwork. Don't fail; vote Gail!
https://project.tolunastart.com/tqsrunt ... m/tIVJ/PuS

User avatar
tokenBG1009
Posts: 6146
Joined: 19 Jun 2007, 20:34

Re: Re: Random Thoughts

Post by tokenBG1009 » 20 Feb 2021, 01:56

EphemeristX wrote:
19 Feb 2021, 15:52
Yeah, never admit to being an IT person. It's like people finding out you're a psychologist or a nurse.
I work IT for a hospital. Whenever I'm walking around the hospital and trying to get somewhere I tuck my badge beneath my shirt because if someone notices they're going to ask me to fix 50 things. Heaven forbid I'm carrying a cart of equipment.

"Is that for me?" is the "Well, I guess it's free!" of the cashier world.
"Sometimes I do feel like I'm a failure. Like there's no hope for me. But even so, I'm not gonna give up. Ever!" -Izuku Midoriya

User avatar
Anna Raven
Posts: 4965
Joined: 28 Jun 2007, 22:53

Re: Re: Random Thoughts

Post by Anna Raven » 20 Feb 2021, 02:45

EvilMonkeyPope wrote:
20 Feb 2021, 01:38
I got a survey from DC that asked if I liked Gail Simone's art style & would like merchandise featuring it. I'm not sure if it's a trick, but I gave her top marks anyway. If everybody who takes the Iconic DC Artists survey clicks they want to buy products featuring her art, DC Comics will be obligated to produce merchandise of Gail Simone's artwork. Don't fail; vote Gail!
https://project.tolunastart.com/tqsrunt ... m/tIVJ/PuS
Yeh that survey is very strange. Are you sure you aren't being phished?
Avengers Generations: Captain America | Rogue | Red Wolf | Shang Chi | Brawn | Storm | Stingray | Iron Man | Nova | Makkari |

User avatar
bamf
Posts: 496
Joined: 11 Jun 2015, 16:52
Location: New York

Re: Re: Random Thoughts

Post by bamf » 20 Feb 2021, 03:28

tokenBG1009 wrote:
20 Feb 2021, 01:56
EphemeristX wrote:
19 Feb 2021, 15:52
Yeah, never admit to being an IT person. It's like people finding out you're a psychologist or a nurse.
I work IT for a hospital. Whenever I'm walking around the hospital and trying to get somewhere I tuck my badge beneath my shirt because if someone notices they're going to ask me to fix 50 things. Heaven forbid I'm carrying a cart of equipment.

"Is that for me?" is the "Well, I guess it's free!" of the cashier world.
I do it for a school district, and I know these feels hahaha. Ducking into buildings through side doors and between classes. Getting caught means the whole day is gone.
Avengers Generation Draft:
Avengers: Teen Hero Outreach System (ATHOS)
Spider-Man, Crystal, Valkyrie, Justice, Cannonball, Quake, Manifold, Smasher, Namorita (Captain America support)

User avatar
tokenBG1009
Posts: 6146
Joined: 19 Jun 2007, 20:34

Re: Re: Random Thoughts

Post by tokenBG1009 » 20 Feb 2021, 04:02

bamf wrote:
20 Feb 2021, 03:28
tokenBG1009 wrote:
20 Feb 2021, 01:56
EphemeristX wrote:
19 Feb 2021, 15:52
Yeah, never admit to being an IT person. It's like people finding out you're a psychologist or a nurse.
I work IT for a hospital. Whenever I'm walking around the hospital and trying to get somewhere I tuck my badge beneath my shirt because if someone notices they're going to ask me to fix 50 things. Heaven forbid I'm carrying a cart of equipment.

"Is that for me?" is the "Well, I guess it's free!" of the cashier world.
I do it for a school district, and I know these feels hahaha. Ducking into buildings through side doors and between classes. Getting caught means the whole day is gone.
It's rough right now for us because the hospital is transitioning away from a managed IT group and is instead going in house. Which is fine for me because we're all keeping our jobs, but we're stuck in this "one foot in and one foot out" space where some of the stuff is managed by us and other stuff isn't. On top of that inventory has been a pain and every time someone sees an IT person they're like "I put in a request for XXX over a month ago. When can I get that?"

Then there's the fact we have a staff of 12 for 2.5 hospitals and all their extra buildings. Shit just doesn't get done in a timely manner because there's so much to get done.
"Sometimes I do feel like I'm a failure. Like there's no hope for me. But even so, I'm not gonna give up. Ever!" -Izuku Midoriya

User avatar
das_boot
Posts: 4126
Joined: 07 Apr 2007, 15:24

Re: Re: Random Thoughts

Post by das_boot » 20 Feb 2021, 08:28

Spectral Knight wrote:
19 Feb 2021, 13:04
(For my first three months I was blocked from FB, despite it being my job to maintain our FB channel...!)
TRIGGERED

When we were first made to do Facebook for our venues, we had Facebook blocked from the office computers, and the WiFi in our venues was terrible... oddly that got changed when managers started putting dongles and data packages onto expenses...
X-Centric podcast: coming soon!

User avatar
BardicOne
Posts: 71
Joined: 11 Jul 2020, 06:00

Re: Re: Random Thoughts

Post by BardicOne » 20 Feb 2021, 19:34

The worst part is of the "I guess its free" crowd is when they say it as a joke because they LEGIT think it is witty and isn't something a cashier has heard a thousand times.

On another note while I have nothing against fan service and "sex sells" when it is done with some context and somewhat tasteful, when it fails those two checkmarks I just feel sad. Like when someone tries their hardest but it just comes off patronizing and desperate. And yes there is a specific image I saw today that caused this thought.
Formerly Known As RingOtaku
posting vlogs and game streams at: https://www.youtube.com/user/gotyoursomething/videos

User avatar
tokenBG1009
Posts: 6146
Joined: 19 Jun 2007, 20:34

Re: Re: Random Thoughts

Post by tokenBG1009 » 20 Feb 2021, 20:42

BardicOne wrote:
20 Feb 2021, 19:34
The worst part is of the "I guess its free" crowd is when they say it as a joke because they LEGIT think it is witty and isn't something a cashier has heard a thousand times.

On another note while I have nothing against fan service and "sex sells" when it is done with some context and somewhat tasteful, when it fails those two checkmarks I just feel sad. Like when someone tries their hardest but it just comes off patronizing and desperate. And yes there is a specific image I saw today that caused this thought.
Now I'm curious what the image is. I am an ardent defender of cheesecake/beefcake art I can completely understand when it becomes pointless.

Also, I haven't been around much due to not really getting into the comics lately, but I love and miss the vast majority of you all. Hope you're all staying safe and healthy in these times.
"Sometimes I do feel like I'm a failure. Like there's no hope for me. But even so, I'm not gonna give up. Ever!" -Izuku Midoriya

User avatar
Nu-D
Posts: 2950
Joined: 18 Dec 2013, 00:22
Location: Durham, NC
Contact:

Re: Re: Random Thoughts

Post by Nu-D » 21 Feb 2021, 00:33

tokenBG1009 wrote:
20 Feb 2021, 20:42
BardicOne wrote:
20 Feb 2021, 19:34
The worst part is of the "I guess its free" crowd is when they say it as a joke because they LEGIT think it is witty and isn't something a cashier has heard a thousand times.

On another note while I have nothing against fan service and "sex sells" when it is done with some context and somewhat tasteful, when it fails those two checkmarks I just feel sad. Like when someone tries their hardest but it just comes off patronizing and desperate. And yes there is a specific image I saw today that caused this thought.
Now I'm curious what the image is. I am an ardent defender of cheesecake/beefcake art I can completely understand when it becomes pointless.

Also, I haven't been around much due to not really getting into the comics lately, but I love and miss the vast majority of you all. Hope you're all staying safe and healthy in these times.
Not reading comics is even more reason to hang around. It helps you keep up with what’s going on and what might be worth checking out.
He/him/his

User avatar
tokenBG1009
Posts: 6146
Joined: 19 Jun 2007, 20:34

Re: Re: Random Thoughts

Post by tokenBG1009 » 21 Feb 2021, 02:47

Nu-D wrote:
21 Feb 2021, 00:33
tokenBG1009 wrote:
20 Feb 2021, 20:42
BardicOne wrote:
20 Feb 2021, 19:34
The worst part is of the "I guess its free" crowd is when they say it as a joke because they LEGIT think it is witty and isn't something a cashier has heard a thousand times.

On another note while I have nothing against fan service and "sex sells" when it is done with some context and somewhat tasteful, when it fails those two checkmarks I just feel sad. Like when someone tries their hardest but it just comes off patronizing and desperate. And yes there is a specific image I saw today that caused this thought.
Now I'm curious what the image is. I am an ardent defender of cheesecake/beefcake art I can completely understand when it becomes pointless.

Also, I haven't been around much due to not really getting into the comics lately, but I love and miss the vast majority of you all. Hope you're all staying safe and healthy in these times.
Not reading comics is even more reason to hang around. It helps you keep up with what’s going on and what might be worth checking out.
Yeah, for some reason X of Swords just overloaded me to the point I didn't even have the energy to think of X-Comics anymore. I need to sit down and read it now that it's over so I can get caught up on the books I enjoyed prior.
"Sometimes I do feel like I'm a failure. Like there's no hope for me. But even so, I'm not gonna give up. Ever!" -Izuku Midoriya

User avatar
BardicOne
Posts: 71
Joined: 11 Jul 2020, 06:00

Re: Random Thoughts

Post by BardicOne » 21 Feb 2021, 06:13

Immortal Hulk has been my anchor comic. I enjoy every issue and it has had minimal crossovers. The image was a cover art for the Street Fighter II comic with Cammy in a tiny red bikini doing a typical model pose. I think what broke me was her nipple clearly poking out under the top. Made it feel silly to me.
Formerly Known As RingOtaku
posting vlogs and game streams at: https://www.youtube.com/user/gotyoursomething/videos

User avatar
Spectral Knight
Posts: 2194
Joined: 14 Apr 2007, 21:00

Re: Re: Random Thoughts

Post by Spectral Knight » 23 Feb 2021, 13:02

So with the roadmap outta lockdown, I now know I've got to wait until the 12th April before I can visit the barbers.

My barnet is an absolute state. Any of my fellow UK posters taken the clippers into their own hands yet.

User avatar
das_boot
Posts: 4126
Joined: 07 Apr 2007, 15:24

Re: Re: Random Thoughts

Post by das_boot » 23 Feb 2021, 13:38

Spectral Knight wrote:
23 Feb 2021, 13:02
So with the roadmap outta lockdown, I now know I've got to wait until the 12th April before I can visit the barbers.

My barnet is an absolute state. Any of my fellow UK posters taken the clippers into their own hands yet.
Absolutely. Although living alone, I really struggle with sorting the back out, so I guess maybe I’ll be to blame if the mullet makes a come back? I’m also my natural colour for the first time in over three years and I’m so far massively unimpressed at the amount of white hair. I’m considering just doing a full Britney (#freebritney) and shaving off the lot, where I’ll look like the youngest and most attractive Mitchell brother 🤷‍♂️

Also as throw back to a conversation we had a while ago, learning how to do digital art is challenging— I’m currently working on a modernisation of the cover of X-Men #1 and between Jean’s damselling on the original image, to the WEIRD 60’s art proportions masked by heavy shading, there is WORK to be done 😂
X-Centric podcast: coming soon!

User avatar
Spectral Knight
Posts: 2194
Joined: 14 Apr 2007, 21:00

Re: Re: Random Thoughts

Post by Spectral Knight » 23 Feb 2021, 13:59

The Mitchell brother look is the one I'm aiming for when I see the first sign of balding...! (If I inherit the genes of my dad on this, as I have his colouring, I should be fine for the next twenty years or so)

I'm terrified at trying to sort my own mess out, so I've decided I'm just going to re-grow my 90s curtains instead :lol:
I'm making up for it by growing some spectacular facial hair during lockdown, - having already shaved a rather bushy full beard off at the end of last summer (an epic clean-up that I since referred to an epic tragedy in 6 parts) I've since grown a splendid 'tash and goatee. If I actually bother within investing in some wax, it'll be handlebars time :D

Haha, I'm STILL working on my first image from the Drafts of Vengeance draft, where I'm doing my tribute to Avengers #1 with the updated cast. Whilst Kirby's creativity was genius in terms of character designs, a lot of his work is full of REALLY weird proportions and posing, so my homage just looks a bit shit (or more accurately, there's bits I like, and there's bits I find just horrible!). I hope I'll be in a position to share by the end of this week, but not sure if I'll dump it on my Learn to Draw thread or the game thread yet.

If you're using Clip Studio, have you messed with dropping 3d reference models so you can get your scene set-up yet? I used them when planning my character designs for the last Warp draft, and it helped me a lot with getting the proportions right.

User avatar
das_boot
Posts: 4126
Joined: 07 Apr 2007, 15:24

Re: Re: Random Thoughts

Post by das_boot » 23 Feb 2021, 14:28

I haven’t messed with that yet, but I think that’s next on the agenda. At the moment while I’m not straight up tracing, I’m definitely using references and kind of working on layer one being the sketch, then moving onto defining the outline in layer two, then detail layer three... aware that’s making more work for myself, but I’m just trying to figure out the basics of the program, as well as trying to remember everything I’ve forgotten about art in the *coughs over the number* years since I’ve left school 🤷‍♂️
X-Centric podcast: coming soon!

User avatar
Spectral Knight
Posts: 2194
Joined: 14 Apr 2007, 21:00

Re: Re: Random Thoughts

Post by Spectral Knight » 23 Feb 2021, 14:43

If it's any help, this is how I've set up my layers and ways of working if I'm doing it all on digital.

Folder - Special Effects (this can normally involve a few different layers)
Final Inks
Folder - Painted Colours (this folder is a duplicate of the flats with shading applied)
Folder - Flats (each layer is a base colour)
Folder - Roughs - this contains a few layers, starting the from bottom, and usually set to blue coloured, as if it's in non-photocopy blue so it's easier to ink over
- Draft Inks - this is where I get a lot of the costume details in place and firm up the face
- Detailed pencils - still using the pencil tool but start adding the shapes of the costume design.
- Rough sketch - this is essentially 'framing' the body according to the reference model - super loose at this stage.
3d reference model - for scale / proportions

The below is the Roughs folder of the Union Division drawing I did of EphX's characters to explain how loose it is at that stage :)
Spoiler: show
Image

Post Reply