Welcome to unstablemolecules.com, the discussion home for mightyavengers.net, uncanon.com and uncannyxmen.net!

Re: Random Thoughts

Level 01: Get to know the other posters better. What do they do when they don't read comics?
User avatar
EphemeristX
Posts: 5513
Joined: 09 Apr 2007, 16:50
Contact:

Re: Re: Random Thoughts

Post by EphemeristX » 14 Oct 2020, 18:55

That happened to me, only I received my original item the day after my replacement arrived.
http://dancehall-daze.tumblr.com

"Take your baby by the ears
And play upon her darkest fears"

User avatar
Anna Raven
Posts: 4854
Joined: 28 Jun 2007, 22:53

Re: Re: Random Thoughts

Post by Anna Raven » 15 Oct 2020, 00:12

Blackcyclops wrote:
14 Oct 2020, 16:42
That’s a very different experience than with UberEats or most of the ones here...

If you say they messed up, Uber will almost automatically give you your money back.
Uber eats is great about that. I didn't want to rag on your employer BC but I think I've only ever had one successful Door Dash order out of like 5 different tries. And it's a little harder to get your refund with them, but not impossible, you just have to go through more layers of customer service.
X-Men Generations: Rogue | X-23 | Colossus | Juggernaut | Bruiser | Blink | Scout
X-Men - Krakoa: Avalanche | Black Tom | Lila Cheney | Shadowcat | Outlaw | Blob | Puck II | Gin Genie | Dr. Nemesis | Banshee | Wolverine | Beast

User avatar
Blackcyclops
Posts: 20881
Joined: 12 Apr 2007, 21:03

Re: Re: Random Thoughts

Post by Blackcyclops » 15 Oct 2020, 00:17

Shoot I don’t care lol I just do it for extra money.
Morrison Era 2001-2005, Decimation Era from 2005-2012, Bendis Era 2012-2016, M-Pox era 2016-2017, and Resurrxion 2017-2019, Hickman Era 2019-?

User avatar
Anna Raven
Posts: 4854
Joined: 28 Jun 2007, 22:53

Re: Re: Random Thoughts

Post by Anna Raven » 15 Oct 2020, 00:51

Blackcyclops wrote:
15 Oct 2020, 00:17
Shoot I don’t care lol I just do it for extra money.
Haha, I figured! :lol:
X-Men Generations: Rogue | X-23 | Colossus | Juggernaut | Bruiser | Blink | Scout
X-Men - Krakoa: Avalanche | Black Tom | Lila Cheney | Shadowcat | Outlaw | Blob | Puck II | Gin Genie | Dr. Nemesis | Banshee | Wolverine | Beast

User avatar
Aeon
Posts: 1087
Joined: 30 Apr 2019, 12:05

Re: Random Thoughts

Post by Aeon » 16 Oct 2020, 21:59

I was working in our shop today near the street sided window, when suddenly a guy with grey/silvery hair and in a blue/silver running suit passed by. That must have been Aaron Johnson Taylor‘s stunt double. My heart was sending clear signals.


But so it did often before...

User avatar
EphemeristX
Posts: 5513
Joined: 09 Apr 2007, 16:50
Contact:

Re: Re: Random Thoughts

Post by EphemeristX » 17 Oct 2020, 06:25

You didn't see that coming?
http://dancehall-daze.tumblr.com

"Take your baby by the ears
And play upon her darkest fears"

User avatar
Aeon
Posts: 1087
Joined: 30 Apr 2019, 12:05

Re: Random Thoughts

Post by Aeon » 17 Oct 2020, 06:51

He passed by to fast..

User avatar
Aeon
Posts: 1087
Joined: 30 Apr 2019, 12:05

Re: Re: Random Thoughts

Post by Aeon » 17 Oct 2020, 21:17

Happy Birthday to our beloved Gremlin!

User avatar
EphemeristX
Posts: 5513
Joined: 09 Apr 2007, 16:50
Contact:

Re: Re: Random Thoughts

Post by EphemeristX » 19 Oct 2020, 16:17

My new PC came today! So excited! Now I need to check and make sure they didn't stiff me on internals.
http://dancehall-daze.tumblr.com

"Take your baby by the ears
And play upon her darkest fears"

User avatar
BardicOne
Posts: 24
Joined: 11 Jul 2020, 06:00

Re: Re: Random Thoughts

Post by BardicOne » 21 Oct 2020, 06:22

I use DoorDash a lot here and I have only had one problem which was quickly refunded without problems. Guess my local branch is just cool.
Formerly Known As RingOtaku
posting vlogs and game streams at: https://www.youtube.com/user/gotyoursomething/videos

User avatar
Anna Raven
Posts: 4854
Joined: 28 Jun 2007, 22:53

Re: Re: Random Thoughts

Post by Anna Raven » 21 Oct 2020, 14:53

I figured as much Ring. I probably have just bad luck.
X-Men Generations: Rogue | X-23 | Colossus | Juggernaut | Bruiser | Blink | Scout
X-Men - Krakoa: Avalanche | Black Tom | Lila Cheney | Shadowcat | Outlaw | Blob | Puck II | Gin Genie | Dr. Nemesis | Banshee | Wolverine | Beast

User avatar
das_boot
Posts: 3753
Joined: 07 Apr 2007, 15:24

Re: Re: Random Thoughts

Post by das_boot » 21 Oct 2020, 22:57

https://www.theguardian.com/education/2 ... dApp_Other

So this article is about the university in the city I live in.

For those of you (mainly SK, admittedly) who maybe don’t understand why I get so angry at the privileged and rich, trust and believe when I say that this article barely scratched the surface of the kind of behaviour that myself and my staff face on a daily basis from at least 50% of the student population of Durham (most of whom are privately educated at the most prestigious schools in the country)
X-Centric podcast: coming soon!

User avatar
Anna Raven
Posts: 4854
Joined: 28 Jun 2007, 22:53

Re: Re: Random Thoughts

Post by Anna Raven » 21 Oct 2020, 23:20

das_boot wrote:
21 Oct 2020, 22:57
https://www.theguardian.com/education/2 ... dApp_Other

So this article is about the university in the city I live in.

For those of you (mainly SK, admittedly) who maybe don’t understand why I get so angry at the privileged and rich, trust and believe when I say that this article barely scratched the surface of the kind of behaviour that myself and my staff face on a daily basis from at least 50% of the student population of Durham (most of whom are privately educated at the most prestigious schools in the country)
I have a story about this kind of thing and I will share it because I feel like this is a safe space.

When I was in college, I had a group of friends who really thought it was hilarious that I could mimic various voices and accents from tv and movies. So of course I yukked it up as much as possible thinking I was really funny. Then one of my friends convinced me it would be hilarious for me to prank call one of his friends and do one of the voices. What he didn't tell me is that that student's roommate was Indian, and that's why he wanted me to the Apu voice from the Simpsons. Well sure enough the roommate was the one who answered the phone, only I had no idea.

It was super easy for the guy to use *69 to figure out who had called him and of course we got called to the rug. I almost got expelled for what I thought was an innocent prank. To this day it's probably the most ashamed I have ever been in my life of something I've done. Not ashamed for the consequences, but literally ashamed for my thoughtlessness.

So when people say white people have privilege its absolutely true. I had never realized that performing an accent of another culture would be perceived as hurtful to someone from that culture until that moment. That was because of my privilege. I was a really dumb, stupid 19 year old kid, but we need to be better about educating kids about how this kind of mocking is unacceptable. The problem is, these days just under half the United States (and I'm assuming there's a similar backlash in the UK too) are telling people that no, those people being mocked are just too sensitive, go right on ahead.

I'm not saying we should throw the kids out of college, I was super grateful the administrator at my school gave me another chance. But education is the key.

And if anyone here is of Indian ancestry on this forum, I will also apologize to you directly for my shameful actions.
X-Men Generations: Rogue | X-23 | Colossus | Juggernaut | Bruiser | Blink | Scout
X-Men - Krakoa: Avalanche | Black Tom | Lila Cheney | Shadowcat | Outlaw | Blob | Puck II | Gin Genie | Dr. Nemesis | Banshee | Wolverine | Beast

User avatar
das_boot
Posts: 3753
Joined: 07 Apr 2007, 15:24

Re: Re: Random Thoughts

Post by das_boot » 21 Oct 2020, 23:36

It’s absolutely that. Absolutely.

Anna, while I’m sorry that you went through that for what was meant to be a harmless prank, but also, I’m kind of glad that the process of going through it made you aware of why it wasn’t necessarily harmless.

The “rolling in the muck” parties that they’ve referenced in the article are being massively downplayed. One of the sports teams of one of the more traditionally upper class colleges have “bingo cards” that they were given during fresher’s week last year. One of the squares was “f*** the most common barmaid you can find”— and one of the female members of staff found that card after three of those guys had tried to give her their number over the bar. The same week, we hosted a quiz for a different college (one where, I kid you not, the halls of residence/dorms are LITERALLY a castle), where the host (one of the third year students of that college) called out three of their freshers and pointed out that they’re the “locals” so they’re the new college translators for when the rest of the students AND DIRECT QUOTE HERE— “can’t make the locals understand their instructions”.

It’s rife, it’s endemic, and as much as this is a beautiful city and IS NOT representative of everyone who studies here, it makes me so angry that in this day and age, there are people who can *STILL* hold the belief that due to the economic status you were born into, it somehow makes you superior to others.

I’m damn proud to be northern and working class, and how dare these entitled children try to take that from me and people like me?

(For those who need some context, think GoT. The Starks would be Northern. These children are absolutely Lannisters.)
X-Centric podcast: coming soon!

User avatar
Anna Raven
Posts: 4854
Joined: 28 Jun 2007, 22:53

Re: Re: Random Thoughts

Post by Anna Raven » 21 Oct 2020, 23:40

das_boot wrote:
21 Oct 2020, 23:36
It’s absolutely that. Absolutely.

Anna, while I’m sorry that you went through that for what was meant to be a harmless prank, but also, I’m kind of glad that the process of going through it made you aware of why it wasn’t necessarily harmless.

The “rolling in the muck” parties that they’ve referenced in the article are being massively downplayed. One of the sports teams of one of the more traditionally upper class colleges have “bingo cards” that they were given during fresher’s week last year. One of the squares was “f*** the most common barmaid you can find”— and one of the female members of staff found that card after three of those guys had tried to give her their number over the bar. The same week, we hosted a quiz for a different college (one where, I kid you not, the halls of residence/dorms are LITERALLY a castle), where the host (one of the third year students of that college) called out three of their freshers and pointed out that they’re the “locals” so they’re the new college translators for when the rest of the students AND DIRECT QUOTE HERE— “can’t make the locals understand their instructions”.

It’s rife, it’s endemic, and as much as this is a beautiful city and IS NOT representative of everyone who studies here, it makes me so angry that in this day and age, there are people who can *STILL* hold the belief that due to the economic status you were born into, it somehow makes you superior to others.

I’m damn proud to be northern and working class, and how dare these entitled children try to take that from me and people like me?

(For those who need some context, think GoT. The Starks would be Northern. These children are absolutely Lannisters.)
Oh yeh, no need to feel sorry for me, in the end it worked out fine for me (terrifying in the moment, but still worked out fine) and meanwhile I learned an extremely valuable lesson.
X-Men Generations: Rogue | X-23 | Colossus | Juggernaut | Bruiser | Blink | Scout
X-Men - Krakoa: Avalanche | Black Tom | Lila Cheney | Shadowcat | Outlaw | Blob | Puck II | Gin Genie | Dr. Nemesis | Banshee | Wolverine | Beast

User avatar
Spectral Knight
Posts: 1924
Joined: 14 Apr 2007, 21:00

Re: Re: Random Thoughts

Post by Spectral Knight » 22 Oct 2020, 08:20

das_boot wrote:
21 Oct 2020, 22:57
https://www.theguardian.com/education/2 ... dApp_Other

So this article is about the university in the city I live in.

For those of you (mainly SK, admittedly) who maybe don’t understand why I get so angry at the privileged and rich, trust and believe when I say that this article barely scratched the surface of the kind of behaviour that myself and my staff face on a daily basis from at least 50% of the student population of Durham (most of whom are privately educated at the most prestigious schools in the country)
Only because you referenced me specifically... but I just checked the most recent Durham uni intake stats. 62% of registrants are state educated. Looking back through the last four or five years, that's fairly consistent too.

I'm not disputing that what you or the report details happen at all, and the behaviour reported is vile, but I think the reports demonstrate more than just privileged vs working class, there's also the North vs South divide. There's overlaps but it is certainly not the same thing. When you get to serious money, north / south geography is almost an irrelevance anyway, with multiple houses and education in boarding dotted around the country.

There's prejudices on both sides with the geographic divide - there is still an assumption from some that London's streets are paved with gold and it's easy street, without factoring in the cost of how fecking expensive it is to live in London! My colleague who is Darlington based (and being from a working class background myself, I make no apologies for calling that town a complete shithole) couldn't believe what I was paying for a one-bed flat in the outskirts of London - she was renting a three bed house for less, so who is more privileged? You'll also get some anti-local prejudices in unis across the country.

There's also some beautiful (and wealthy) towns and cities in the North, Durham being one, but I was also in Harrogate last year, and my God, that was bleeding cash in terms of lifestyle (you only had to look at the retail profile to see this!). Check Zoopla though and there's four bed semi's there with off street parking going for 75 grand less than my two bed terrace in Herts. (Where I am now, Watford, isn't bad, mind, but you can put that budget into the shitholes you can find in London and you would only get a flat - and trust me, these are total dives!).

The other thing, don't know about you, but it is a lack of understanding of the working class. Whether it is from some parts of the media or from privileged groups. It's used to refer to the non-working (which doesn't even make sense on a logical ground) - and my personal pet peeve - it is seen to be a constant limiter of life chances. Sure, I've faced class based prejudice in the past and there have been barriers but there's still opportunity.

Not sure if you know of Katharine Birbalsingh? She's an educator, I think you might hate her as she's very old school small c conservative (not Tory per se), but she runs a school in Wembley in a deprived community (parts of which are rough as fuck trust me!) but she has initiated a very traditional system in her free school (seriously old fashioned, almost public school in its stylings). She is all about personal responsibility and that circumstances of birth should not be a limiter on attainment, which current political orthodoxy would dismiss, yet her school results are well above the national standards so I think there's something in that.

User avatar
das_boot
Posts: 3753
Joined: 07 Apr 2007, 15:24

Re: Re: Random Thoughts

Post by das_boot » 22 Oct 2020, 10:14

I only referenced you specifically because we often clash on my I HATE THE TORIES stance, and there was absolutely no malice intended, which I wasn’t clear about, so apologies for that ❤️

I totally agree that Darlo is awful. I’ve done a few shifts covering a site over that way and it’s just Satan 😂

EDIT:

I totally agree that the divide is insane, but it very much depends on the city/town. I think it’s very difficult here especially due to Durham being a university mentioned in the same breath as Oxford and Cambridge, and there’s certainly a huge sense of that here, too... yet you talk about Newcastle or Sunderland and property prices drop comparatively despite it only being a difference of 15 miles or so, and dropping again when you look at Teesside where, as recently as ten years ago, you could have bought a three bed terrace for under £40k... the economics are staggering and it’s definitely a case of which areas have the more money funnelled into them in terms of development (which, Middlesbrough’s had a LOT in the last decade which has seen that reflected in a dramatic rise in property prices), but let’s get real— London as a tourist destination and the capital, of COURSE it’ll have more money spent on it than a tiny former pit village in the North East. It just makes sense.

State schools at Durham... there’s been suggestions (and I’m not denying you’ve done your research), but that this number is fudged by the university, due to not taking into account differences in international schooling systems, nor taking into account where those schools are in the country— the 7% referred to in the article is the number of graduates from the local area, not the number of graduates from state schools.
X-Centric podcast: coming soon!

User avatar
Cable
Posts: 4633
Joined: 07 Apr 2007, 18:31
Location: Pennsylvania
Contact:

Re: Re: Random Thoughts

Post by Cable » 22 Oct 2020, 11:14

For my UK friends I am wondering if you can help me out. I am currently employed in a project that does fact-checking (what a year to sign up for this...) and I have to consult various sources and sometimes regarding things in other countries. Obviously I know about some outlets like the BBC but what in your opinion is the credibility of these UK newspapers as good sources of fair reporting?

the Guardian
the Independent
the Sun
Daily Mail
Daily Mirror
Telegraph
Best Comics of Week 43

Best X-Comic: Juggernaut #2 by Fabian Nicieza (2) and Ron Garney (2)
Best Non-X Comic: Guardians of the Galaxy # 7 by Al Ewing (10) and Marcio Takara (2)

In parentheses number of times creator has had best comic of week this year

User avatar
Spectral Knight
Posts: 1924
Joined: 14 Apr 2007, 21:00

Re: Re: Random Thoughts

Post by Spectral Knight » 22 Oct 2020, 11:50

das_boot wrote:
22 Oct 2020, 10:14
I only referenced you specifically because we often clash on my I HATE THE TORIES stance, and there was absolutely no malice intended, which I wasn’t clear about, so apologies for that ❤️

I totally agree that Darlo is awful. I’ve done a few shifts covering a site over that way and it’s just Satan 😂

EDIT:

I totally agree that the divide is insane, but it very much depends on the city/town. I think it’s very difficult here especially due to Durham being a university mentioned in the same breath as Oxford and Cambridge, and there’s certainly a huge sense of that here, too... yet you talk about Newcastle or Sunderland and property prices drop comparatively despite it only being a difference of 15 miles or so, and dropping again when you look at Teesside where, as recently as ten years ago, you could have bought a three bed terrace for under £40k... the economics are staggering and it’s definitely a case of which areas have the more money funnelled into them in terms of development (which, Middlesbrough’s had a LOT in the last decade which has seen that reflected in a dramatic rise in property prices), but let’s get real— London as a tourist destination and the capital, of COURSE it’ll have more money spent on it than a tiny former pit village in the North East. It just makes sense.

State schools at Durham... there’s been suggestions (and I’m not denying you’ve done your research), but that this number is fudged by the university, due to not taking into account differences in international schooling systems, nor taking into account where those schools are in the country— the 7% referred to in the article is the number of graduates from the local area, not the number of graduates from state schools.
No need to apologise at all. I do think you must imagine me as a true blue, Jerusalem singing, signed up Tory donor though ;)

Cambridge Uni probably has very similar experiences to Durham - my cousins are based in Cambridgeshire (around Peterborough) and a good friend of mine is from that way, but while the uni is obviously iconic the surrounding areas are full of... well, we have to check the number of fingers and toes they have when we see them :lol:

Thing is all parts of the country have mad irregularities in property. Radlett, which is no more than 5 miles from where I am, is one of the most expensive places to live in the UK outside of London.

I can definitely believe the 7% figure, in part because of its reputation it'll attract students / punters from all over the UK. And it is bloody nice :)
Cable wrote:
22 Oct 2020, 11:14
For my UK friends I am wondering if you can help me out. I am currently employed in a project that does fact-checking (what a year to sign up for this...) and I have to consult various sources and sometimes regarding things in other countries. Obviously I know about some outlets like the BBC but what in your opinion is the credibility of these UK newspapers as good sources of fair reporting?
You're just about to trigger another argument with me and Das, aren't you? :twisted:

In my view:


The Guardian - Not bad factual reporting but their commentary often overshadows the news and is pretty poor...as long as you can separate the two you're okay.
the Independent - Not actually read it in years.
the Sun - populist centre right rag. Sports sections have a fair reputation on scoops, only because they print EVERY possible transfer rumour ever. I wouldn't count on it
Daily Mail - Amusing diversion. Entertaining in how outraged they are about everything. Factually questionable.
Daily Mirror - populist centre left rag. As questionable as the Sun.
Telegraph - probably the best reporting, but annoying pay wall online.

I say use the Beeb as the benchmark - gets hate from the left and right, so probably doing something right :lol:

User avatar
das_boot
Posts: 3753
Joined: 07 Apr 2007, 15:24

Re: Re: Random Thoughts

Post by das_boot » 22 Oct 2020, 12:45

LOL. No, I agree with you on most of those. The Guardian tends to be filled with columnists who have an over-inflated sense of self worth so you kind of have to dig a little to get to what they’re actually saying.

I’m pretty sure the Mail is the prime source of the content for “Angry people in Newspapers” groups on Facebook.

I actually feel like now that the left have a more centrist leader, the BBC are far more unbiased, to me. For some reason, Sky News, which used to be Murdoch owned, has started going IN on the right, especially Kay Burley (but I appreciate that, frankly, because they absolutely ought to be held to account for the disaster of this last year).

The Independent I tend to read a lot more often now because I really do feel like it sticks more to facts than to conjecture, but your mileage may vary.

The Times is just for people who want to say they read The Times and complete their crossword.

The Sun and the Mirror are awful. Just awful.

We used to have a Sunday newspaper called the News of the World but that went under after they were exposed hacking the mobile phone and listening to the voice mails of a girl who had been murdered. Also, I don’t know why because I never read it, but one of my great aunts used to refer to it as “The Whore’s Gazette”, which I thought was amazing.
X-Centric podcast: coming soon!

User avatar
_Rick_
Posts: 813
Joined: 02 Aug 2011, 18:56

Re: Re: Random Thoughts

Post by _Rick_ » 22 Oct 2020, 14:11

Cable wrote:
22 Oct 2020, 11:14
For my UK friends I am wondering if you can help me out. I am currently employed in a project that does fact-checking (what a year to sign up for this...) and I have to consult various sources and sometimes regarding things in other countries. Obviously I know about some outlets like the BBC but what in your opinion is the credibility of these UK newspapers as good sources of fair reporting?

the Guardian
the Independent
the Sun
Daily Mail
Daily Mirror
Telegraph
This question immediately made me think of this old gem:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DGscoaUWW2M
Spectral Knight wrote:
22 Oct 2020, 11:50
I say use the Beeb as the benchmark - gets hate from the left and right, so probably doing something right :lol:
Honestly, while I get what you're saying, this line of thinking is literally one of the main issues with British media to me. "Oh we have to discuss gender issues? Let's invite an asshole misogynist who thinks women are inferior to men and only good to serve and a radical feminist who thinks all men are evil and are always guilty even when proven innocent. That's neutral, right?" Granted the BBC isn't the worse at that, but they still fall into that trap too often to maintain "balance".

User avatar
Spectral Knight
Posts: 1924
Joined: 14 Apr 2007, 21:00

Re: Random Thoughts

Post by Spectral Knight » 22 Oct 2020, 16:53

I get what you mean Rick.

If I think of the purpose of the BBC though there should be a separation between journalism that shouldn't be "balanced" at all but should be neutral. Tell me the facts.

Then the commentary / punditry / comedy should be balanced in that it should offer a range of voices. Not necessarily on the same show, but across their content / output as a whole. It wouldn't make sense to force someone like Frankie Boyle to have someone like Leo Kearse on his show as that's heavy handed editorial for me but you could give someone like Leo Kearse their own platform instead.

I think my main criticism of the Beeb is their blurring of the lines between commentary and news. Not the worst outfit for this by far but their news homepage is still the go-to for actual news for me and it is a bit grating when you click on a baity headline and it's an opinion piece with very little news, but an opinion piece lacking in charm or wit by an essentially faceless correspondent. When I want opinion, I visit Guido, far funnier and with some real bite despite very obvious positioning (who still manages to blag some decent political scoops).

I don't really give too much consideration around the biases of every other media outlet, mainly because I'm not paying for them and they're businesses - the way I see it is they can run with whatever editorial slant they like. But with the charter and the tax of a license fee that the Beeb has I think they have a responsibility to be neutral. On the whole, while not perfect they're still better than most of the rabble.

User avatar
Blackcyclops
Posts: 20881
Joined: 12 Apr 2007, 21:03

Re: Re: Random Thoughts

Post by Blackcyclops » 22 Oct 2020, 17:13

_Rick_ wrote:
22 Oct 2020, 14:11
Cable wrote:
22 Oct 2020, 11:14
For my UK friends I am wondering if you can help me out. I am currently employed in a project that does fact-checking (what a year to sign up for this...) and I have to consult various sources and sometimes regarding things in other countries. Obviously I know about some outlets like the BBC but what in your opinion is the credibility of these UK newspapers as good sources of fair reporting?

the Guardian
the Independent
the Sun
Daily Mail
Daily Mirror
Telegraph
This question immediately made me think of this old gem:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DGscoaUWW2M
Spectral Knight wrote:
22 Oct 2020, 11:50
I say use the Beeb as the benchmark - gets hate from the left and right, so probably doing something right :lol:
Honestly, while I get what you're saying, this line of thinking is literally one of the main issues with British media to me. "Oh we have to discuss gender issues? Let's invite an asshole misogynist who thinks women are inferior to men and only good to serve and a radical feminist who thinks all men are evil and are always guilty even when proven innocent. That's neutral, right?" Granted the BBC isn't the worse at that, but they still fall into that trap too often to maintain "balance".
I get what you’re saying totally on that one...

Truthfully, I’m actually more annoyed at this idea that “balanced” means “both sides” even more than what you described. Where both sides of a topic must always be presented so as to not make one side feel like you’re biased toward them. Like in your example, if you’re talking about rape in the military for example and you have expert and survivors talking about the phenomenon but because you don’t want far right trolls getting upset, you have to showcase some alt-right PUA guy just to seem “balanced”. It happens alot with climate change and what it does is give credence to a side that is all but discredited. It was real bad on TV news in the early days of the Trump presidency.
Morrison Era 2001-2005, Decimation Era from 2005-2012, Bendis Era 2012-2016, M-Pox era 2016-2017, and Resurrxion 2017-2019, Hickman Era 2019-?

User avatar
Aeon
Posts: 1087
Joined: 30 Apr 2019, 12:05

Re: Random Thoughts

Post by Aeon » 22 Oct 2020, 17:17

There’s a new Dolly Parton Christmas musical Movie coming to Netflix, with Christine „Goddess“ Baranski.

https://youtu.be/M5anWrBFPmY

Now I can die in peace.

User avatar
das_boot
Posts: 3753
Joined: 07 Apr 2007, 15:24

Re: Re: Random Thoughts

Post by das_boot » 22 Oct 2020, 22:57

I think that’s the big area Sky News tends to fall down, for me. They tend to approach very vocal and extreme members of either side (Owen Jones for the left, for example— SK, did I just hear your blood pressure spike? 😂) and what SHOULD be a debate ends up in an argument, and a rather juvenile display which doesn’t appeal to me.

I actually think that whilst it’s hardly known for its hardcore political discourse, one of the worst for that is This Morning (a light entertainment morning show), especially when they used to bring on K*tie H*pkins every other week to argue whichever arbitrary point they needed her to be full of bile about that week— but especially because I hate the way she pronounces the word “tattoo”.
X-Centric podcast: coming soon!

Post Reply