Welcome to unstablemolecules.com, the discussion home for mightyavengers.net, uncanon.com and uncannyxmen.net!

Re: Random Thoughts

Level 01: Get to know the other posters better. What do they do when they don't read comics?
Crutey Anth

Post by Crutey Anth » 30 Jun 2020, 08:11

Spectral Knight wrote:
29 Jun 2020, 21:18
EvilMonkeyPope wrote:
29 Jun 2020, 21:13
Is "Rock The Boat" as big a deal at Irish weddings as Derry Girls makes it out to be?
I've been to a few weddings in Ireland, and a fair few more weddings of people of Irish descent in the UK, and I have no idea what you are talking about, so guessing probably not..!
You must have seen this somewhere Spec- I've never been to an Irish wedding but seen it at enough parties etc

I've never done a DNA test but given my family have lived in the same city for a couple of hundred years (my sister did the whole family tree and there are wedding records of my less than common name here like 200 hundred years ago...there was some stupid census stat I found before about surnames where it said 90% of people with my surname in the UK live in my city. I have a feeling we're like the 'first men' and have just been here through the vikings and the romans and stuff.

Edit: did a little google and apparently there are only 860 of us in the USA in total (and it's pretty mmuch 50% black and 50% white), 280 in the UK (which given our relevant sizes should tell you about how many of us just like staying here)....and about the same in Oz. I remember when my sister was doing the geneology thing her and my dad were saying 'oh a lot of us emigrated to Australia didn't we'....and I just sighed 'convict deportation'.

here find out about your own name:
https://forebears.io/surnames/crute

Lavettye

Re: Re: Random Thoughts

Post by Lavettye » 30 Jun 2020, 08:55

Yeah, not gonna help me.... I'm adopted. And on top of that, I have one of the most common names (since adoption) I get red and orange hits on every continent for that name.

I do know the last names of my birth parents, and they too get lots of hits, with my biological father's it is red and dark-red in the USA, Canada, the UK, South Africa, Austrialia, new Zealand, Belgium and the Netherlands, orange only in Germany and Mexico, and yellow pretty much everywhere else. The last name of my biological mother seems rarer, deep-red in Germany, red in the USA and Switzerland, orange Poland, Russia, Canada, Australia, and then just two more yellows and the rest of the world is grey.

Maybe I should do an enthicity test, but it wouldn't surprise me at all, if I was some mix of Central Europe and Eastern Europe, maybe even a Little bit jewish in there.
[PL_2.0]

Spectral Knight

Post by Spectral Knight » 30 Jun 2020, 09:16

I have been to Irish weddings where there's like a boat drinking game - each of the wedding couple 'draft' their side of the family's "best" drinkers in a boat-like formation - each 'rower' has a pint that they can only start once the preceding rower has finished their pint.

But I think this was called something completely different though.

Zero point doing my actual surname either because no-one had in my family in my grandparents' generation. Basically my surname was inherited through my nan's common law marriage with her then husband, who died before she met my granddad, but she kept it out of respect to him (I think...the story's a little muddled, and she's been dead for more than 30 years so it's a little tricky to get clarity on). She never married my granddad, and my dad took that name (although my granddad also 'borrowed' it occasionally for... tax reasons).

My mum's maiden name is most prevalent in the US, but has the highest density in Austria (which isn't a little surprising, given my maternal grandfather was US born, with his paternal line (I think his grandfather - so my great, great grandfather) emigrating from Germany to the US, though we've traced other parts of his ancestry in other parts of his family tree to pre-1066 Normandy, so it's all a bid muddled.
Last edited by Spectral Knight on 30 Jun 2020, 10:25, edited 2 times in total.

Aeon

Post by Aeon » 30 Jun 2020, 10:05

Does anyone know what’s up with token?

Spectral Knight

Post by Spectral Knight » 30 Jun 2020, 10:12

I know he said that with his new job he was a lot busier, and less likely to be on here as regularly.

Other than that, don't know of anything else specific.

das_boot

Post by das_boot » 30 Jun 2020, 11:51

P-90 wrote:
29 Jun 2020, 21:17
das_boot wrote:
29 Jun 2020, 21:03
P-90 wrote:
29 Jun 2020, 19:46

Talking about mixed backgrounds, aren't Geordies what you get when the Scottish and English cross breed? :P

Seriously though I can see why you would hate Geordie Shore.
Are you a Brit too?

Also, kind of. But also what happens when you’re the part of land almost directly over from Norway and vikings land 🤷‍♂️
Yeah I'm British, all my family and I are originally from south-east London but I've lived in east Sussex since I was about ten years old.
Ohhhhh so you’re French? (Sorry, running joke with my uni mates, anything south of the Watford gap is France, since she says that anything north of Manchester is basically Scotland)
ASPIRING WRITERS!

Check out the “Writing Challenges” thread in the Uncanon Mess Hall!

Magik84

Post by Magik84 » 30 Jun 2020, 12:40

EvilMonkeyPope wrote:
29 Jun 2020, 21:13
Is "Rock The Boat" as big a deal at Irish weddings as Derry Girls makes it out to be?
It depends on the area, never been a big thing where I was from, but I've been in weddings in other parts of Ireland where it was. I think it was a thing at Debs night too (Grad/Prom type ball).
X-Editorial Draft: Prodigy, Vange Whedon, lil' Iceman, Wallflower, Cecelia Reyes, Mimic, U-Go Girl, Doc Samson, Nature Girl

Aeon

Post by Aeon » 02 Jul 2020, 08:21

The Gambit & Rogue fan film

I have no idea how to insert an url into a text, so: https://youtu.be/NegUHlzn_qs

Nu-D

Post by Nu-D » 02 Jul 2020, 14:28

I would never do a DNA test for ancestry. Heaven forbid I find out I’m not who I think I am.
He/him/his

Aeon

Post by Aeon » 02 Jul 2020, 17:52

Haha, yeah, like example A last week :lol:

RingOtaku

Post by RingOtaku » 02 Jul 2020, 18:10

I'm just going to tell everyone I got the results I wanted. "I'm 20% Tiger Shark. On my father's side."
D20 Roulette: Vlogs. Game Streams. Geekness. https://www.youtube.com/user/gotyoursomething/videos

Aeon

Post by Aeon » 02 Jul 2020, 18:12

And the other 80%?

Aeon

Post by Aeon » 02 Jul 2020, 18:34

Have you guys heard? Marvel went shopping..

EphemeristX

Post by EphemeristX » 03 Jul 2020, 00:36

Aeon wrote:
02 Jul 2020, 18:34
Have you guys heard? Marvel went shopping..
It was inevitable. Disney owns Marvel and Disney owns Aliens and Predator after the Fox deal. As soon as any comic licensing with other companies ran out, they were always going to move to Marvel, just like Star Wars.
EvilMonkeyPope wrote:
02 Jul 2020, 23:45
I gave my Ranger Slayer a new noggin.
I'm far outside of having relevant MMPR knowledge, but is that Kimberly?
http://dancehall-daze.tumblr.com

"Take your baby by the ears
And play upon her darkest fears"

Blackcyclops

Post by Blackcyclops » 03 Jul 2020, 00:57

Oh dude the current continuity of the MMPR is f***ing gnarly!
Morrison Era 2001-2005, Decimation Era from 2005-2012, Bendis Era 2012-2016, M-Pox era 2016-2017, and Resurrxion 2017-2019, Hickman Era 2019-?

EvilMonkeyPope

Post by EvilMonkeyPope » 03 Jul 2020, 01:39

Yep, Ranger Slayer is an altverse Kim Hart.

Aeon

Post by Aeon » 03 Jul 2020, 04:56

God, her face creeped me out. For a moment I thought it’s a cosplay.

Spectral Knight

Post by Spectral Knight » 03 Jul 2020, 07:59

A post from RingOtaku earlier this week has prompted me to revisit the original radio version of Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy. It feels like a step into an antique world where people used to listen to the radio for sci-fi orientated comedy. Still less than two minutes in and already pissing myself laughing, even though some of the jokes were recycled word-for-word by Adams for the novels.

Although 'the keep the change' after Ford hands over a fiver for six pint order seems funny in a totally different way than when it was first broadcast I'm sure. In a lot of places in London you'd struggle to get a pint for under a fiver.

Nu-D

Post by Nu-D » 03 Jul 2020, 14:50

Spectral Knight wrote:
03 Jul 2020, 07:59
A post from RingOtaku earlier this week has prompted me to revisit the original radio version of Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy. It feels like a step into an antique world where people used to listen to the radio for sci-fi orientated comedy. Still less than two minutes in and already pissing myself laughing, even though some of the jokes were recycled word-for-word by Adams for the novels.

Although 'the keep the change' after Ford hands over a fiver for six pint order seems funny in a totally different way than when it was first broadcast I'm sure. In a lot of places in London you'd struggle to get a pint for under a fiver.
I tried to watch an old-school televised version (BBC, probably?) a little while back, but it was too ... I dunno. Hokey? Low-budget? I have limited interest in the Dr. Who of that era too, even though I loved it as a kid.
He/him/his

RingOtaku

Post by RingOtaku » 03 Jul 2020, 16:59

Aeon wrote:
02 Jul 2020, 18:12
And the other 80%?
perverted old anime martial arts master
D20 Roulette: Vlogs. Game Streams. Geekness. https://www.youtube.com/user/gotyoursomething/videos

Aeon

Post by Aeon » 03 Jul 2020, 17:11

Really? Cool... turns me on.

Cable

Post by Cable » 03 Jul 2020, 17:24

So with the August Marvel solicitations are we "caught up?" As in those are the actual comics coming out in August?
Best Comics of Week 28

Best X-Comic: X-Force #10 by Benjamin Percy (1) and Joshua Cassara (1)
Best Non-X Comic: Dr. Strange #5 by Mark Waid (1) and Kev Walker (1)

In parentheses number of times creator has had best comic of the week this year

Spectral Knight

Post by Spectral Knight » 03 Jul 2020, 18:33

Nu-D wrote:
03 Jul 2020, 14:50
Spectral Knight wrote:
03 Jul 2020, 07:59

I tried to watch an old-school televised version (BBC, probably?) a little while back, but it was too ... I dunno. Hokey? Low-budget? I have limited interest in the Dr. Who of that era too, even though I loved it as a kid.
Oh yeah, the TV version definitely shows its age (not surprising given its vintage), but Simon Jones was wonderfully cast as Arthur, the flared nostrils of David Dixon as Ford was far preferable to Mos Def's version and a pre-Who Peter Davidson was an utter delight as the Dish of the Day in a latter episode. Surprisingly the prosthetics / FX were quite advanced for it's time, though you wouldn't know it now, with the production featuring in Tomorrow's World, the favourite of every British tech futurist born before 1990. Sandra Dickinson as Trillian was a horrible casting though. Martin Freeman and Stephen Fry were great picks for the movie version, it just didn't really click. Such a shame.

I said goodbye to by beard of three and a half months today, as I'm in the office on Monday. I feel naked.

Aeon

Post by Aeon » 03 Jul 2020, 18:41

In the category: „Cute guy of the week“:

Phil Oakey on the Human League „Human“ cover from 1986. He looks like the cute guy from the 2Can TV YouTube channel.

Nowadays, Phil is old and bold and I couldn’t care less for him.