Welcome to unstablemolecules.com, the discussion home for mightyavengers.net, uncanon.com and uncannyxmen.net!

Random Thoughts

Level 01: Get to know the other posters better. What do they do when they don't read comics?
User avatar
Gibbering Fool
Posts: 3751
Joined: 09 Apr 2007, 03:10

Re: Random Thoughts

Post by Gibbering Fool » 11 Sep 2019, 05:11

I'm currently reviewing applicants for a position at my work. One applicant desribed themself as a perfectionist but spelt it "profectionist". This has me laughing more than it probably should

User avatar
Anna Raven
Posts: 4301
Joined: 28 Jun 2007, 22:53

Re: Random Thoughts

Post by Anna Raven » 11 Sep 2019, 05:34

They are a professional perfectionist.
Marvel vs DC Draft: Wonder Woman|Thor|Ares - DC|Shazam!|Hercules|Loki|Dream of the Endless|Valkyrie|Ares - Marvel
Thunderbolts Draft: Punisher|Black Cat|Moon Knight(as Kraven the Hunter)|Diamondback|Taskmaster|Domino|Nuke|Trickshot |Jolt|Troll

User avatar
tokenBG1009
Posts: 5117
Joined: 19 Jun 2007, 20:34

Re: Random Thoughts

Post by tokenBG1009 » 11 Sep 2019, 07:45

Nu-D wrote:
10 Sep 2019, 15:20
I just learned the word “voraphilia” the other day, from an article in Slate. People are weird, but whatever.
Anna Raven wrote:
10 Sep 2019, 15:08
I think when people are into gender bending it's just an exploration of "what it's like for the other side" you know? So there could be worse things for sure. Having said that, Pennywise is a really odd one to fetishize, considering he's a manifestation of evil that preys on children. I'd say that's the more disturbing part.
I think it’s a mistake to impute meaning to an individual person’s fantasies without talking directly to the person. The story of pennywise and the meaning given to the character by King or the readers/viewers may have nothing to do with this person’s fantasy. It may be that pennywise reminds him/her of some cherished childhood memory totally unrelated to the movie or book. Or maybe s/he has fetishized the feeling of being creeped out for him/herself, not the feeling of creeping someone else out. Whatever it is, we can’t know much without a more in depth discussion.
I honestly would say you're overcomplicating something that for a LARGE majority of people is extremely simple. There are a few people who probably fall into what you're saying, but for the majority of people? Nah.

I don't think I've met a single person, myself included, who's into genderbent cosplay because of some deep emotional connection with the character. It's almost entirely "that girl is hot and she's wearing nerdy things." The same rings true for the majority of ladies I've seen react to genderbent cosplay of female characters. Especially if the cosplayer sticks to the essence of a costume.

1% of people probably have some deep and emotional connection with the character.
99% find the cosplayer hot.
"Sometimes I do feel like I'm a failure. Like there's no hope for me. But even so, I'm not gonna give up. Ever!" -Izuku Midoriya

User avatar
Nu-D
Posts: 2569
Joined: 18 Dec 2013, 00:22
Location: Durham, NC
Contact:

Re: Random Thoughts

Post by Nu-D » 11 Sep 2019, 10:36

tokenBG1009 wrote:
11 Sep 2019, 07:45
Nu-D wrote:
10 Sep 2019, 15:20
I just learned the word “voraphilia” the other day, from an article in Slate. People are weird, but whatever.
Anna Raven wrote:
10 Sep 2019, 15:08
I think when people are into gender bending it's just an exploration of "what it's like for the other side" you know? So there could be worse things for sure. Having said that, Pennywise is a really odd one to fetishize, considering he's a manifestation of evil that preys on children. I'd say that's the more disturbing part.
I think it’s a mistake to impute meaning to an individual person’s fantasies without talking directly to the person. The story of pennywise and the meaning given to the character by King or the readers/viewers may have nothing to do with this person’s fantasy. It may be that pennywise reminds him/her of some cherished childhood memory totally unrelated to the movie or book. Or maybe s/he has fetishized the feeling of being creeped out for him/herself, not the feeling of creeping someone else out. Whatever it is, we can’t know much without a more in depth discussion.
I honestly would say you're overcomplicating something that for a LARGE majority of people is extremely simple. There are a few people who probably fall into what you're saying, but for the majority of people? Nah.

I don't think I've met a single person, myself included, who's into genderbent cosplay because of some deep emotional connection with the character. It's almost entirely "that girl is hot and she's wearing nerdy things." The same rings true for the majority of ladies I've seen react to genderbent cosplay of female characters. Especially if the cosplayer sticks to the essence of a costume.

1% of people probably have some deep and emotional connection with the character.
99% find the cosplayer hot.
That’s exactly my point, though. You can’t assume someone’s into hot Pennywise because terrorizing children is what turn them on. Whatever it is, its personal to them, and quite often not thematically linked to the character’s stories. My hypothetical examples were just examples.

User avatar
tokenBG1009
Posts: 5117
Joined: 19 Jun 2007, 20:34

Re: Random Thoughts

Post by tokenBG1009 » 11 Sep 2019, 10:43

Yeah, I guess that makes sense.

I'm not into Sexy Punisher because of Frank Castle's morals and convictions. I'm just into attractive women in costumes. It's almost always an extremely shallow reason for being into a look of things from a visual perspective.
"Sometimes I do feel like I'm a failure. Like there's no hope for me. But even so, I'm not gonna give up. Ever!" -Izuku Midoriya

User avatar
Nu-D
Posts: 2569
Joined: 18 Dec 2013, 00:22
Location: Durham, NC
Contact:

Re: Random Thoughts

Post by Nu-D » 11 Sep 2019, 19:18

Well, today I successfully installed a replacement hard drive and memory expansion into my Mac. All those hours of tinkering with the insides of VIC-20s, C-64s, Tandys and Ataris finally paid off! Pretty proud of myself.

Hopefully, with the new hard drive and expanded memory the machine will run smoothly again. It was getting super bogged down lately. I missed a whole day of work and three hours of sleep last night trying to get this done. Hopefully I can make that time up by not waiting for the computer to open files and spin its wheels.

User avatar
tokenBG1009
Posts: 5117
Joined: 19 Jun 2007, 20:34

Re: Random Thoughts

Post by tokenBG1009 » 12 Sep 2019, 00:08

Nice work, Nu-D!
"Sometimes I do feel like I'm a failure. Like there's no hope for me. But even so, I'm not gonna give up. Ever!" -Izuku Midoriya

User avatar
Lavettye
Posts: 284
Joined: 22 Feb 2016, 18:33
Location: Germany

Re: Random Thoughts

Post by Lavettye » 12 Sep 2019, 04:52

Gibbering Fool wrote:
11 Sep 2019, 05:11
I'm currently reviewing applicants for a position at my work. One applicant desribed themself as a perfectionist but spelt it "profectionist". This has me laughing more than it probably should
Anna Raven wrote:
11 Sep 2019, 05:34
They are a professional perfectionist.
I would ask this applicant in for an interview and tell them about this typo somewhere during the interview. If they are as quickminded as Anna and come up with a similar explanation - AND can pull it off without bursting into laughter or coming across as arrogant, then they are hired. :-)
[PL_2.0]

User avatar
tokenBG1009
Posts: 5117
Joined: 19 Jun 2007, 20:34

Re: Random Thoughts

Post by tokenBG1009 » 12 Sep 2019, 08:23

Did anyone watch the old MTV show Fear?

I remember it scared the hell out of me as 13-year-old. Was thinking about it tonight and was curious if it was all faked. By all records, I can see it was all legitimate and I'm surprised it got cancelled for being too expensive when it was so popular. I'd love to see a revival where they continue to just have genuine terrifying encounters without the producers creating more fear.
"Sometimes I do feel like I'm a failure. Like there's no hope for me. But even so, I'm not gonna give up. Ever!" -Izuku Midoriya

User avatar
RingOtaku
Posts: 1561
Joined: 17 Apr 2007, 17:12
Location: The Library Of Stories Never Written

Re: Random Thoughts

Post by RingOtaku » 12 Sep 2019, 20:39

Being old sucks. I had to call in to work because I was waken from a surreal dream by what felt like the muscle pull from hell. 90 minutes of doing everything I could think of to get it from a sharp stabbing pain to a dull throb. And since my job involves lots of lifting and bending.... yeah I wasn't going to risk making it worse. So I sit here with some prescription-strength pain meds borrowed from my Dad and hope it doesn't do that again anytime soon.
D20 Roulette: A Podcast of Geeks and Raging. https://rouletteproductions.com

User avatar
Anna Raven
Posts: 4301
Joined: 28 Jun 2007, 22:53

Re: Random Thoughts

Post by Anna Raven » 12 Sep 2019, 20:59

RingOtaku wrote:
12 Sep 2019, 20:39
Being old sucks. I had to call in to work because I was waken from a surreal dream by what felt like the muscle pull from hell. 90 minutes of doing everything I could think of to get it from a sharp stabbing pain to a dull throb. And since my job involves lots of lifting and bending.... yeah I wasn't going to risk making it worse. So I sit here with some prescription-strength pain meds borrowed from my Dad and hope it doesn't do that again anytime soon.
Ouch! I've had those before wake me up at night but never one that lasted that long. I had a knee issue though a few months ago where I couldn't put any weight on it at all,I spent a week and a half hobbling around home using a broom for a crutch. The worst part was that the position of laying down was the most painful besides actually standing, so I could hardly sleep at all during that period. I feel your pain for sure.
Marvel vs DC Draft: Wonder Woman|Thor|Ares - DC|Shazam!|Hercules|Loki|Dream of the Endless|Valkyrie|Ares - Marvel
Thunderbolts Draft: Punisher|Black Cat|Moon Knight(as Kraven the Hunter)|Diamondback|Taskmaster|Domino|Nuke|Trickshot |Jolt|Troll

User avatar
Nu-D
Posts: 2569
Joined: 18 Dec 2013, 00:22
Location: Durham, NC
Contact:

Re: Random Thoughts

Post by Nu-D » 12 Sep 2019, 20:59

One hour layover at National Airport has turned into five hours. Six other flights also delayed at the same gate, so it’s standing room only. It smells like a locker room, and we aren’t allowed to walk around the terminal to go to one of the restaurants or bars because they won’t tell us when they might call our flight to board.

And to top it off, there are only eight outlets for 300+ people.

User avatar
Blackcyclops
Posts: 18928
Joined: 12 Apr 2007, 21:03

Re: Random Thoughts

Post by Blackcyclops » 12 Sep 2019, 21:25

Fact: you can say what you want but President Trump is right about our air travel: it sucks in comparison to so many other things we actually don’t suck at.

And don’t even get me started at ticket prices and how they go up and down seemingly random! (Or is it “randomly”?)
Morrison Era 2001-2005, Decimation Era from 2005-2012, Bendis Era 2012-2016, M-Pox era 2016-2017, and Resurrxion 2017-2019, Hickman Era 2019-?

User avatar
tokenBG1009
Posts: 5117
Joined: 19 Jun 2007, 20:34

Re: Random Thoughts

Post by tokenBG1009 » 12 Sep 2019, 22:16

The fact it's somehow legal for air companies, I legitimately forgot the word, to changes rates based on your browsing history is bonkers. Just because I'm researching a trip to Disneyland before booking my flight doesn't mean I should be charged more. It's so damn stupid.
"Sometimes I do feel like I'm a failure. Like there's no hope for me. But even so, I'm not gonna give up. Ever!" -Izuku Midoriya

User avatar
RingOtaku
Posts: 1561
Joined: 17 Apr 2007, 17:12
Location: The Library Of Stories Never Written

Re: Random Thoughts

Post by RingOtaku » 12 Sep 2019, 23:28

Anna Raven wrote:
12 Sep 2019, 20:59
RingOtaku wrote:
12 Sep 2019, 20:39
Being old sucks. I had to call in to work because I was waken from a surreal dream by what felt like the muscle pull from hell. 90 minutes of doing everything I could think of to get it from a sharp stabbing pain to a dull throb. And since my job involves lots of lifting and bending.... yeah I wasn't going to risk making it worse. So I sit here with some prescription-strength pain meds borrowed from my Dad and hope it doesn't do that again anytime soon.
Ouch! I've had those before wake me up at night but never one that lasted that long. I had a knee issue though a few months ago where I couldn't put any weight on it at all,I spent a week and a half hobbling around home using a broom for a crutch. The worst part was that the position of laying down was the most painful besides actually standing, so I could hardly sleep at all during that period. I feel your pain for sure.
Yeah if it had been more like a Charley Horse (which I have gotten in my sleep) where it fades in a couple minutes I would have just gutted out work today. But this was something else, so I'm being cautious. My knees tend to get stiff after a hard day of work but that is the worst I get from mine. Hot shower/bath does wonders though.
D20 Roulette: A Podcast of Geeks and Raging. https://rouletteproductions.com

User avatar
Gibbering Fool
Posts: 3751
Joined: 09 Apr 2007, 03:10

Re: Random Thoughts

Post by Gibbering Fool » 13 Sep 2019, 09:00

I mentioned a while back that we were fostering a new kitten named Freddy. On day 1 I thought I was in over my head as he was petrified of everything. Well after one month of care, mostly consisting of lots of cuddles, he's a completely different cat. He's still nervous around strangers but he was confident enough, and adorable enough, to impress someone and he's going to his forever home tomorrow. I'm so proud.
Attachments
Screenshot_20190913-184828_Instagram.jpg
Screenshot_20190913-184828_Instagram.jpg (863.35 KiB) Viewed 163 times

User avatar
tokenBG1009
Posts: 5117
Joined: 19 Jun 2007, 20:34

Re: Random Thoughts

Post by tokenBG1009 » 13 Sep 2019, 09:37

He's adorable!
"Sometimes I do feel like I'm a failure. Like there's no hope for me. But even so, I'm not gonna give up. Ever!" -Izuku Midoriya

User avatar
Gibbering Fool
Posts: 3751
Joined: 09 Apr 2007, 03:10

Re: Random Thoughts

Post by Gibbering Fool » 13 Sep 2019, 10:06

tokenBG1009 wrote:
13 Sep 2019, 09:37
He's adorable!
He's flooded my Instagram (@scratchthatmitch) for weeks. He's very cute.

User avatar
Cable
Posts: 4116
Joined: 07 Apr 2007, 18:31
Location: Pennsylvania
Contact:

Re: Random Thoughts

Post by Cable » 13 Sep 2019, 17:10

Watching the Primary debates and as someone who bailed on the Republican Party in 2016 the Democratic Party is not doing a good job of catering to new Independents like myself that they will need to win in 2020. 10 candidates and I would not feel good voting for any of them. It is actually kind of sad that right now Joe Biden is definitely the best candidate. Runner-up would be Amy Klobuchar. Probably Cory Booker in third. O'Rourke and Harris would be the worst choices though.
Best X-Comic last week: Powers of X #4
Best non X-Comic last week: Silver Surfer Black #4

User avatar
Anna Raven
Posts: 4301
Joined: 28 Jun 2007, 22:53

Re: Random Thoughts

Post by Anna Raven » 13 Sep 2019, 18:50

Why do you not like Beto?
Marvel vs DC Draft: Wonder Woman|Thor|Ares - DC|Shazam!|Hercules|Loki|Dream of the Endless|Valkyrie|Ares - Marvel
Thunderbolts Draft: Punisher|Black Cat|Moon Knight(as Kraven the Hunter)|Diamondback|Taskmaster|Domino|Nuke|Trickshot |Jolt|Troll

User avatar
Blackcyclops
Posts: 18928
Joined: 12 Apr 2007, 21:03

Re: Random Thoughts

Post by Blackcyclops » 13 Sep 2019, 20:03

I’m more curious why you’d put Harris in the bottom? She isn’t as progressive as Bernie or Warren, who I think would be in your bottom easily.
Morrison Era 2001-2005, Decimation Era from 2005-2012, Bendis Era 2012-2016, M-Pox era 2016-2017, and Resurrxion 2017-2019, Hickman Era 2019-?

User avatar
das_boot
Posts: 3130
Joined: 07 Apr 2007, 15:24

Re: Random Thoughts

Post by das_boot » 13 Sep 2019, 20:52

It’s exactly the same over here, Cable.

I cannot in good conscience cast a vote for the Labour Party whilst they have a leader who won’t fight harder against prejudice in his party, nor someone who seemingly can’t control his own party. I’ll never vote Conservative and the centrist party... no. Just no.

I shouldn’t be in a situation where I don’t actually see a valid option for leadership of the country.
ASPIRING WRITERS!

Check out the “Writing Challenges” thread in the Uncanon Mess Hall!

User avatar
Anna Raven
Posts: 4301
Joined: 28 Jun 2007, 22:53

Re: Random Thoughts

Post by Anna Raven » 13 Sep 2019, 21:16

boot, at least you have several options to choose from. In the US, you have exactly two choices. If you vote for a 3rd party candidate all you do is hurt one party or the other by stealing their votes, you don't actually have any hope of getting your choice in office. I really wish the US could develop a few more parties to give voters a few more options.

I don't think Beto is very electable unfortunately, he's going to get hammered for lack of experience and for not winning the Texas Senate race against Cruz. But I find him to be one of the most genuine, likable candidates overall, and I hope that if he gets eliminated fairly early he will try to run for Senate again against Cornyn. The two most important issues of the election to me are treating immigrant refugees humanely and implementing some kind of sane gun control on a federal level and those are the two issues he is strongest on.

I don't like Harris quite as much, just because like you said BC, she is a little too centrist. Biden is my LEAST wanted candidate, he might bring in a few independent voters but at what cost? Another 4 years of nothing getting done and babysitting the White House, plus plenty of embarrassing gaffes and lots of "he's just like Obama" talk. I really liked Obama as a president, but it would be nice to move on.

I'm willing to concede Warren and Sanders might be too far left for some independent voters, but I also wonder if at this point Democrats have to start playing the same game as Trump and the Republicans. I'd love to bring in moderates and centrists and build a consensus, but Trump proved that might not be the best way to win an election anymore.
Marvel vs DC Draft: Wonder Woman|Thor|Ares - DC|Shazam!|Hercules|Loki|Dream of the Endless|Valkyrie|Ares - Marvel
Thunderbolts Draft: Punisher|Black Cat|Moon Knight(as Kraven the Hunter)|Diamondback|Taskmaster|Domino|Nuke|Trickshot |Jolt|Troll

User avatar
das_boot
Posts: 3130
Joined: 07 Apr 2007, 15:24

Re: Random Thoughts

Post by das_boot » 13 Sep 2019, 22:30

As in Ted Cruz, the confirmed Zodiac Killer? (JOKES I KNOW THAT ISNT REAL)

Anna— we might as well only have two parties in England, but that’s absolutely not true for the rest of the UK. SNP do well in Scotland, and Plaíd Cymru in Wales due to the lack of consideration they feel that their constituent countries have in UK parliament, and I can see their point.
ASPIRING WRITERS!

Check out the “Writing Challenges” thread in the Uncanon Mess Hall!

User avatar
Anna Raven
Posts: 4301
Joined: 28 Jun 2007, 22:53

Re: Random Thoughts

Post by Anna Raven » 13 Sep 2019, 23:29

das_boot wrote:
13 Sep 2019, 22:30
As in Ted Cruz, the confirmed Zodiac Killer? (JOKES I KNOW THAT ISNT REAL)

Anna— we might as well only have two parties in England, but that’s absolutely not true for the rest of the UK. SNP do well in Scotland, and Plaíd Cymru in Wales due to the lack of consideration they feel that their constituent countries have in UK parliament, and I can see their point.
He's not the Zodiac killer but he's a twerp and a heartless human being who has done very little to help the state of Texas or the United States during his years as a US Senator. He also laid down like a dog to Trump after Trump said some of the nastiest things imaginable about his family and his wife. I'd call him a blobfish like Kimmell does, but that would be too cruel to blobfish.

It's too bad to hear that more parties doesn't necessarily equal more choices. I'm actually really in favor of ranked ballots, where you can vote for people in order of preference. Like give people more points for being ranked higher on your list.
Marvel vs DC Draft: Wonder Woman|Thor|Ares - DC|Shazam!|Hercules|Loki|Dream of the Endless|Valkyrie|Ares - Marvel
Thunderbolts Draft: Punisher|Black Cat|Moon Knight(as Kraven the Hunter)|Diamondback|Taskmaster|Domino|Nuke|Trickshot |Jolt|Troll

Post Reply