Welcome to unstablemolecules.com, the discussion home for mightyavengers.net, uncanon.com and uncannyxmen.net!

Random Thoughts

Level 01: Get to know the other posters better. What do they do when they don't read comics?
EphemeristX

Re: Random Thoughts

Post by EphemeristX » 13 Mar 2019, 21:08

There was a definite period of decline in quality after the departure of Walt from the company. The late 70s/early 80s are often dubbed the 'Dark Ages' by Disney aficionados. Personally, I enjoy the Black Cauldron -- most of it. The comic relief character was... really dumb. But the big bad was truly wicked and I liked the darker tone.
http://dancehall-daze.tumblr.com

"Take your baby by the ears
And play upon her darkest fears"

Cable

Post by Cable » 13 Mar 2019, 22:42

If anyone is into Disney or card/board games the Disney Villainous game is fun. My wife likes Disney and so I got it for us to play; she doesn't often play my other board games because I like the kind that take like 5 hours lol. But this has a decent amount of strategy yet takes only an hour or so. It isn't for kids, someone younger than a teen would probably struggle to play against an adult. There are six villains and they just released an expansion back with three more. Unconscionably none of these have been Scar from Lion King. But maybe he hasn't been included because he wasn't really a villain, he was trying to end hyena apartheid.
Best X-Comic last week: X-Force #4

Best non X-Comic last week: Amazing Spider-Man #17

Anna Raven

Post by Anna Raven » 13 Mar 2019, 23:00

Cable wrote:
13 Mar 2019, 22:42
If anyone is into Disney or card/board games the Disney Villainous game is fun. My wife likes Disney and so I got it for us to play; she doesn't often play my other board games because I like the kind that take like 5 hours lol. But this has a decent amount of strategy yet takes only an hour or so. It isn't for kids, someone younger than a teen would probably struggle to play against an adult. There are six villains and they just released an expansion back with three more. Unconscionably none of these have been Scar from Lion King. But maybe he hasn't been included because he wasn't really a villain, he was trying to end hyena apartheid.
I have heard good things about it. I love tabletop games and RPGs.
Thunderbolts Draft: Punisher | Black Cat | Moon Knight (as Kraven the Hunter) | Diamondback

Nu-D

Post by Nu-D » 14 Mar 2019, 02:00

Watched “An American Tale” with my six-year-old niece the other day, and she hasn’t stopped singing “There are NOOOOO cats in America” since.

I thought it held up great!

Gibbering Fool

Post by Gibbering Fool » 14 Mar 2019, 06:43

Nu-D wrote:
14 Mar 2019, 02:00
Watched “An American Tale” with my six-year-old niece the other day, and she hasn’t stopped singing “There are NOOOOO cats in America” since.

Loved that film, and Feivel Goes West, as a kid!

Blackcyclops

Post by Blackcyclops » 14 Mar 2019, 11:36

Nu-D wrote:

Well that wasn’t Disney...now you talking some of the other stuff from the 80s, then we get some great animation.
I'm Team Remender, Waid, Hickman and Gillen

My X-Men Draft Picks:
Prof. X, Legion, Polaris, Quicksilver, Meggan, Deadpool, Pixie, and Danger

tokenBG1009

Post by tokenBG1009 » 14 Mar 2019, 12:02

I didn't realize until I was a teenager that Anastasia wasn't a Disney Princess. Same with Thumbelina.
A League of Their Own!

I wish I could write fanfiction...

Anna Raven

Post by Anna Raven » 14 Mar 2019, 14:14

Blackcyclops wrote:
14 Mar 2019, 11:36
Nu-D wrote:

Well that wasn’t Disney...now you talking some of the other stuff from the 80s, then we get some great animation.
It was made by Don Bluth though, who was a Disney animator who left to spin up his own company. A lot of the great 80s animated movies that weren't Disney were Bluth films, such as Land Before Time, Anastasia, Secret of Nymh, Titan AE, Thumbelina, All Dogs Go to Heaven, Bartok, and even the video games Dragons Lair and Space Ace.

I think the 70s/80s Disney "dark period" is a little overblown. Some of my favorite Disney movies come from this period like Fox and the Hound, Robin Hood, The Rescuers, and the aforementioned Black Cauldron. I think there was a small decline in quality that came with them wanting to suddenly save money on animation, but overall it's still very good work.

If anything I'd say the movies of the 2000s, right after the Renaissance are Disney's worst output: Treasure Planet, Atlantis, The Emperor's New Groove, Brother Bear, Chicken Little, Meet the Robinsons, and Bolt are all pretty forgettable. I may be forgetting one or two in fact. Even The Princess and the Frog was a good attempt, but fell a little flat. Lilo and Stitch is the only movie from the decade I would call good.
Last edited by Anna Raven on 14 Mar 2019, 14:25, edited 1 time in total.
Thunderbolts Draft: Punisher | Black Cat | Moon Knight (as Kraven the Hunter) | Diamondback

Blackcyclops

Post by Blackcyclops » 14 Mar 2019, 14:24

See I think there’s a difference between what holds a special place in out heart from our past and things that hold up well in modern terms.

Like I love Fox and the Hound but I don’t think it’s as timeless say Sleeping Beauty for example. Alot of that Bluth stuff had more of a maturity to it that I think allows it to hold up better over time. Secret of Nimh is a movie that is greatly underrated.

I will say though that overall disney’s animation from the 1970s and 80s holds up alot better than their most of their 90s live-action stuff lol...

My X-Men Draft Picks:

Anna Raven

Post by Anna Raven » 14 Mar 2019, 14:29

Blackcyclops wrote:
14 Mar 2019, 14:24
See I think there’s a difference between what holds a special place in out heart from our past and things that hold up well in modern terms.

Like I love Fox and the Hound but I don’t think it’s as timeless say Sleeping Beauty for example. Alot of that Bluth stuff had more of a maturity to it that I think allows it to hold up better over time. Secret of Nimh is a movie that is greatly underrated.

I will say though that overall disney’s animation from the 1970s and 80s holds up alot better than their most of their 90s live-action stuff lol...
Sure I know I have some nostalgia goggles going on, and Black.Cauldron was definitely a flop (although I think a lot of people would tell you it was actually a pretty good movie that was too dark for it's time), but other than the dip in animation quality to save money, I would fight you if you said Fox and the Hound had an inferior story to most other Disney films hehe.

Blackcyclops

Post by Blackcyclops » 14 Mar 2019, 14:59

Oh far from it! You all know I love platonic friendships being given respect on film. And that film does that.

I think the problem with the 90s live-action kids films were the “Antz” (or Dreamworks) problem. Which I mean the idea that to be relevant to the youth you gotta “talk” like kids and do alot of pop culture references. That may work in that time period but it always feels forced and ends up dating the film.

Like I loved Blank check as a kid but I rewatched it with my kids and they were embarrassed for me lol

My X-Men Draft Picks:

RingOtaku

Post by RingOtaku » 14 Mar 2019, 15:15

It takes a rare mind that can grow to adulthood and yet still craft child characters that are actual children and not caricatures. That is what made Calvin and Hobbes iconic. Bill Watterson didn't create an idealized kid, Calvin WAS that kid we all knew and either loved or hated depending on the day. I find most live-action based family movies don't hold up well to me because of that: The main kids aren't kids but mini-adults.
D20 Roulette: A Podcast of Geeks and Raging. https://rouletteproductions.com

Blackcyclops

Post by Blackcyclops » 14 Mar 2019, 16:43

RingOtaku wrote:
14 Mar 2019, 15:15
It takes a rare mind that can grow to adulthood and yet still craft child characters that are actual children and not caricatures. That is what made Calvin and Hobbes iconic. Bill Watterson didn't create an idealized kid, Calvin WAS that kid we all knew and either loved or hated depending on the day. I find most live-action based family movies don't hold up well to me because of that: The main kids aren't kids but mini-adults.

I can see that...they tend to fluctuate between mini-adults and moppets.

My X-Men Draft Picks:

Nu-D

Post by Nu-D » 14 Mar 2019, 16:48

Blackcyclops wrote:
14 Mar 2019, 11:36
Nu-D wrote:

Huh. I though Disney and Warner had a duopoly on animation until Pixar. ;)

P-90

Post by P-90 » 14 Mar 2019, 20:18

Anybody else like 'The Emperor's New Groove'
I saw it for the first time last year and while it's in no way near the best/most iconic Disney movie I often find myself watching it when it's shown on TV.

Blackcyclops

Post by Blackcyclops » 14 Mar 2019, 20:44

Best Stephen King Film/TV adaptation?

My X-Men Draft Picks:

Anna Raven

Post by Anna Raven » 14 Mar 2019, 23:17

P-90 wrote:
14 Mar 2019, 20:18
Anybody else like 'The Emperor's New Groove'
I saw it for the first time last year and while it's in no way near the best/most iconic Disney movie I often find myself watching it when it's shown on TV.
It's probably the best of that era after Lilo. Still not in my Top 10 or even 20 probably though.

UrbanExplorer

Post by UrbanExplorer » 14 Mar 2019, 23:36

Blackcyclops wrote:
14 Mar 2019, 20:44
Best Stephen King Film/TV adaptation?
Misery, undoubtably. I hate jumpscares, so this is the only King cinematography I can watch without heart attacks.

Blackcyclops

Post by Blackcyclops » 14 Mar 2019, 23:45

Okay...rank your top 10 Disney animated films! Pixar excluded

My X-Men Draft Picks:

Nu-D

Post by Nu-D » 15 Mar 2019, 00:08

Blackcyclops wrote:
14 Mar 2019, 23:45
Okay...rank your top 10 Disney animated films! Pixar excluded
Whoa.

I’m not sure I can name ten films I know are Disney.

1. Bambi?
2. ...uh...

#. Fantasia

That’s the best I got. I think the classic princesses are Disney: Snow White, Cinderellla, ...um...another two or three. But it’s been alomost 40 yeas since I saw any of them, so how could I rank them?

Blackcyclops

Post by Blackcyclops » 15 Mar 2019, 00:20

We get it, we get it NuD, you don’t have to suffer the agony of small humans forcing you to rewatch animated films over and over and over and over again. You get to watch artsy films, read novels on leisure trips and do adult things!

Just messing with you lol...You don’t gotta know who a Jojo Siwa is, so you are living a blessed life lol

My X-Men Draft Picks:

Anna Raven

Post by Anna Raven » 15 Mar 2019, 00:32

Ok here we go. These are just my personal favorites, not the "best" necessarily.

10. Fox and the Hound
9. Sword in the Stone
8. Moana
7. Jungle Book
6. Robin Hood
5. Frozen
4. Peter Pan
3. Alladin
2. The Lion King
1. Fantasia

RingOtaku

Post by RingOtaku » 15 Mar 2019, 02:35

No real order here but the top ten.

Aladdin, Jungle Book, Peter Pan, Lion King, Fantasia, Sleeping Beauty, Snow White, Bambi, Cinderella, Oliver and Company
D20 Roulette: A Podcast of Geeks and Raging. https://rouletteproductions.com

EvilMonkeyPope

Post by EvilMonkeyPope » 15 Mar 2019, 04:03

I finally saw the Scooby-Doo movie!

Gremlin

Post by Gremlin » 15 Mar 2019, 08:53

Ha, I saw it was on Netflix the other day and had to watch it again. It's actually quite good I think as a tongue-in-cheek kids film.
Everybody is entitled you their opinion...but yours is wrong.