Welcome to unstablemolecules.com, the discussion home for mightyavengers.net, uncanon.com and uncannyxmen.net!

Random Thoughts

Level 01: Get to know the other posters better. What do they do when they don't read comics?
Blackcyclops

Re: Random Thoughts

Post by Blackcyclops » 06 Feb 2019, 18:54

I think ringO meant dating as in being with someone as a couple (like this my boo)...like a status, not an action.
I'm Team Remender, Waid, Hickman and Gillen

My X-Men Draft Picks:
Prof. X, Legion, Polaris, Quicksilver, Meggan, Deadpool, Pixie, and Danger

RingOtaku

Post by RingOtaku » 07 Feb 2019, 02:38

Nu-D wrote:
06 Feb 2019, 17:53
RingOtaku wrote:
05 Feb 2019, 16:34
Romance confuses me. Can I just like roll a natural 20 and skip straight to steady dating with an understanding of expectations?
Dates are overrated. Just invite people who interest you to go do fun and interesting things. If you both have fun, do it again. Eventually, if you keep having fun, one of the things you might start doing for fun is romance. Another might be sex. Roll with it.
I did that once before. It worked for a while but not being in the same town messed it up when it got to the BF/GF stage.
D20 Roulette: A Podcast of Geeks and Raging. https://rouletteproductions.com

Nu-D

Post by Nu-D » 10 Feb 2019, 00:12

I installed a dishwasher today. Pretty pleased with myself.

RingOtaku

Post by RingOtaku » 10 Feb 2019, 01:19

Congrats Nu-D

tokenBG1009

Post by tokenBG1009 » 13 Feb 2019, 10:17

I read a single Harry Potter fanfic this weekend and my entire week has been devoted to "Why did Harry end up with boring Ginny instead of the far superior Parvarti Patil?"

This is why I can't have nice things.
A League of Their Own!

I wish I could write fanfiction...

Anna Raven

Post by Anna Raven » 13 Feb 2019, 15:16

tokenBG1009 wrote:
13 Feb 2019, 10:17
I read a single Harry Potter fanfic this weekend and my entire week has been devoted to "Why did Harry end up with boring Ginny instead of the far superior Parvarti Patil?"

Yeh I never got the Ginny thing. I see it from her side, but not from his. I didn't read the books so I don't know the merits of Parvarti Patil though.
Thunderbolts Draft: Punisher | Black Cat | Moon Knight (as Kraven the Hunter)

RingOtaku

Post by RingOtaku » 13 Feb 2019, 17:22

tokenBG1009 wrote:

Because the simple truth is Rowling leaned way too heavy on cliches so the "sweet nice younger sister of the best friend with the obvious crush" got the boy in the end. Like Ron ending up with Hermoine because "Oh people who are close friends but opposites and snipe at each other a lot secretly love each other super much". Still not as bad as the asinine revelation about Dumbledore's actions and the prophecy. Worse Wise Old Man Ever.

tokenBG1009

Post by tokenBG1009 » 13 Feb 2019, 20:45

Anna Raven wrote:
13 Feb 2019, 15:16
tokenBG1009 wrote:

Yeh I never got the Ginny thing. I see it from her side, but not from his. I didn't read the books so I don't know the merits of Parvarti Patil though.
Other than to to the ball with Harry, not much. Maybe if she'd been the love interest we would have been given better characterization. Not that it helped Ginny much.
A League of Their Own!

I wish I could write fanfiction...

EvilMonkeyPope

Post by EvilMonkeyPope » 13 Feb 2019, 23:04

I’m greatly displeased by Facebook deleting most of my posts & photos from my page. Whenever I write a new blog (weekly), I post the link & any images to the page specifically created for this purpose. So FB has retroactively deleted things I'd had posted there for years without notifying me. An album of 293 photos now only has three.

Cable

Post by Cable » 14 Feb 2019, 03:05

I'm reading the original X-Factor Annuals and after I complete them and Archie Goodwin's Wolverine run then I will have achieved a longstanding goal of mine: I will have read every X-Men issue published previous to 1990 (including Alpha Flight and Captain Britain)

I would of course like to go on and read all of the 90s issues too but man the number of titles starts really exploding that decade.
Best X-Comic last week: Uncanny X-Men #11

Best non X-Comic last week: Immortal Hulk #13

Nu-D

Post by Nu-D » 14 Feb 2019, 07:30

Cable wrote:
14 Feb 2019, 03:05
I'm reading the original X-Factor Annuals and after I complete them and Archie Goodwin's Wolverine run then I will have achieved a longstanding goal of mine: I will have read every X-Men issue published previous to 1990 (including Alpha Flight and Captain Britain)

I would of course like to go on and read all of the 90s issues too but man the number of titles starts really exploding that decade.
Pretty cool. Are you including arcs in books like Marvel Fanfare and Marvel Comics Presents?

You could be a little more incremental from here. Perhaps everything up to the end of the Claremont era, then through the x-odus, then up to the cancellation of all the books for AoA. Those are all reasonably doable steps.

Cable

Post by Cable » 14 Feb 2019, 11:30

Nu-D wrote:
14 Feb 2019, 07:30
Cable wrote:
14 Feb 2019, 03:05

Pretty cool. Are you including arcs in books like Marvel Fanfare and Marvel Comics Presents?

You could be a little more incremental from here. Perhaps everything up to the end of the Claremont era, then through the x-odus, then up to the cancellation of all the books for AoA. Those are all reasonably doable steps.
I actually have not read the stories in Fanfare and Presents! Are they worth adding on?

Nu-D

Post by Nu-D » 14 Feb 2019, 12:08

Of course! Some stories are better than others, but as a completist and a fan, you’ll want to read them.

I recently began reading those early Marvel Fanfare books and really enjoyed them. It’s a rare pleasure to discover new (to me) classic Claremont tales of the X-Men.

Also, you’ll want to lay hands on the Classic X-Men reprints for the backup stories and added pages.

Did you also include Champions and New Defenders? Those can be skipped, IMO, but I don’t think everyone agrees with me.

Cable

Post by Cable » 14 Feb 2019, 17:29

Nu-D wrote:
14 Feb 2019, 12:08
Of course! Some stories are better than others, but as a completist and a fan, you’ll want to read them.

I recently began reading those early Marvel Fanfare books and really enjoyed them. It’s a rare pleasure to discover new (to me) classic Claremont tales of the X-Men.

Also, you’ll want to lay hands on the Classic X-Men reprints for the backup stories and added pages.

Did you also include Champions and New Defenders? Those can be skipped, IMO, but I don’t think everyone agrees with me.
I was so close to my goal but alas a comic readers' work is never done...

I have read the Classic X-Men versions as well as Champions and Defenders. I actually recommend reading the stuff with Iceman and Cloud in hindsight as his 'retcon' to being a closeted homosexual adds a whole new layer to his expressed discomfort over being attracted to someone who is not really a female.

Nu-D

Post by Nu-D » 14 Feb 2019, 18:24

Cable wrote:
14 Feb 2019, 17:29
Nu-D wrote:
14 Feb 2019, 12:08

I was so close to my goal but alas a comic readers' work is never done...

I have read the Classic X-Men versions as well as Champions and Defenders. I actually recommend reading the stuff with Iceman and Cloud in hindsight as his 'retcon' to being a closeted homosexual adds a whole new layer to his expressed discomfort over being attracted to someone who is not really a female.
I’ve read some New Defenders and Champions. They’re good enough for what they are. I only say they “can be skipped” because I don’t view them as X-books for the purposes of being a completist. If I did, then Hank’s time on the Avengers would also have to be included.

More important, IMO, are the other Claremont stories of that early era that crossed over into X-Men. His Spider Woman and Ms. Marvel stories, for example. Or the X-Men appearances in Powerman and Iron Fist. Those flesh out the happenings in Uncanny and I think they’re part of a completists agenda. (I’m intermittently working on some of that stuff now).