Welcome to unstablemolecules.com, the discussion home for mightyavengers.net, uncanon.com and uncannyxmen.net!

Random Thoughts

Level 01: Get to know the other posters better. What do they do when they don't read comics?
Blackcyclops

Re: Random Thoughts

Post by Blackcyclops » 05 Nov 2018, 15:36

As an American hetero Black guy who’s even remotely connected to popular urban culture, Beards or at least some facial are like a must lol...I havrn’t been without at least a mustache since the US invaded Iraq lol

I currently have a low beard
I'm Team Remender, Waid, Hickman and Gillen

My X-Men Draft Picks:
Prof. X, Legion, Polaris, Quicksilver, Meggan, Deadpool, Pixie, and Danger

Nu-D

Post by Nu-D » 05 Nov 2018, 16:38

Are we comparing facial hair?

I grew a goatee in high school, sideburns by senior year. In college it became a full beard and kept it in varied degrees of trimmedness for the next 20-years. I think I shaved once, for Halloween.

Then I moved to the South. I spent three years clean shaven, then bought a house out in the woods. Now I spend winter bearded, and the rest of the year clean shaven.

This is weird. Why are we talking about this?

tokenBG1009

Post by tokenBG1009 » 05 Nov 2018, 17:00

I'm usually pretty lazy with facial hair growth and let it do what it wants until it starts bothering my nose. I think I'm going to make an effort for once to keep it tame. Just not sure how yet.
A League of Their Own!

I wish I could write fanfiction...

RingOtaku

Post by RingOtaku » 05 Nov 2018, 17:12

Nu-D wrote:
05 Nov 2018, 16:38

I grew a goatee in high school, sideburns by senior year. In college it became a full beard and kept it in varied degrees of trimmedness for the next 20-years. I think I shaved once, for Halloween.

Then I moved to the South. I spent three years clean shaven, then bought a house out in the woods. Now I spend winter bearded, and the rest of the year clean shaven.

Because none of us really wants to ask the question on everyone's minds. "Canned Cranberry sauce on Thanksgiving or home-made? Or Neither cause that stuff nasty no matter what."
D20 Roulette: A Podcast of Geeks and Raging. https://rouletteproductions.com

tokenBG1009

Post by tokenBG1009 » 05 Nov 2018, 17:19

My girlfriend makes amazing cranberry sauce. I hated the canned stuff for years and thought I just hated it.

...I still bring canned to my family gatherings and just don't eat it. It's much cheaper and more convenient. I'm also pretty sure my family wouldn't appreciate the work put into it and would bad mouth it for not being what they're used to.
A League of Their Own!

Nu-D

Post by Nu-D » 05 Nov 2018, 17:31

RingOtaku wrote:
05 Nov 2018, 17:12
Nu-D wrote:
05 Nov 2018, 16:38

Because none of us really wants to ask the question on everyone's minds. "Canned Cranberry sauce on Thanksgiving or home-made? Or Neither cause that stuff nasty no matter what."
Both.

I make a magnificent cranberry sauce with orange peel and Lilet, a white wine aperitif. Goes well with turkey, but also on apple pie and vanilla ice cream. But the kids (including my sister-in-law) won’t touch it, so there will be a can on hand.

EphemeristX

Post by EphemeristX » 05 Nov 2018, 17:50

I can't grow facial hair. It's genetic. I get about a week's worth of stubble before I go from "bohemian" to "homeless". My dad has the exact same facial hair patterns and still can't grow a beard in his 60s. Plus, about 60% of my facial hair is blond, same as my body hair, so you can't even see it. I'm the envy of alot of women because of it.

I like cranberry relish and cranberry salsa (with jalapenos!) but I do not like cranberry sauce. I might like yours, though, Nu-D.
http://dancehall-daze.tumblr.com

"Take your baby by the ears
And play upon her darkest fears"

Nu-D

Post by Nu-D » 05 Nov 2018, 18:09

EphemeristX wrote:
05 Nov 2018, 17:50
I can't grow facial hair. It's genetic. I get about a week's worth of stubble before I go from "bohemian" to "homeless". My dad has the exact same facial hair patterns and still can't grow a beard in his 60s. Plus, about 60% of my facial hair is blond, same as my body hair, so you can't even see it. I'm the envy of alot of women because of it.

I like cranberry relish and cranberry salsa (with jalapenos!) but I do not like cranberry sauce. I might like yours, though, Nu-D.
Looks like a pretty respectable beard you have going in your avatar! :lol:

EphemeristX

Post by EphemeristX » 05 Nov 2018, 18:10

Ha. Yeah, if that was me, I'd be Human Torch Chris instead.

Gibbering Fool

Post by Gibbering Fool » 06 Nov 2018, 03:05

Well I hit my $250 target for Movember but that means I have to grow a mo that joins my sideburns. I think most people are expecting muttonchops but I've trimmed it a little so I don't look entirely like an 1890s bank robber.
Attachments
IMG_20181106_064030_381.jpg
IMG_20181106_064030_381.jpg (451.68 KiB) Viewed 199 times

Gibbering Fool

Post by Gibbering Fool » 06 Nov 2018, 03:13

Damn, that's a massive photo of my already large head. I didn't expect it to come out that large lol

tokenBG1009

Post by tokenBG1009 » 06 Nov 2018, 05:58

Gibbering Fool wrote:
06 Nov 2018, 03:13
Damn, that's a massive photo of my already large head. I didn't expect it to come out that large lol
View it on mobile and feel less guilty about how large it is, lol
A League of Their Own!

Milkshake08

Post by Milkshake08 » 08 Nov 2018, 02:29

Facebook and Twitter have ruined hyperbole.

I mean like you can't even jokingly say anything (Like GOD MEN SUCK or WHY ARE PEOPLE REPUBLICANS or even BEING A WOMAN SUUUUCKS referring to your period) without 20 people condescendingly starting an argument with you as if you were 100% serious.

EphemeristX

Post by EphemeristX » 08 Nov 2018, 03:02

Concern Trolls are a reeking pustule on the ass of humanity.

Milkshake08

Post by Milkshake08 » 08 Nov 2018, 03:10

Lol YES. And half the time they don't even KNOW you or it's always that high school person who you haven't seen in 10 years or your uncle that talks to you in greeting once a year at Christmas and then you don't hear from again until he concern trolls you. Like, get a life people.

Nu-D

Post by Nu-D » 08 Nov 2018, 12:39

Milkshake08 wrote:
08 Nov 2018, 02:29
Facebook and Twitter have ruined hyperbole.

I mean like you can't even jokingly say anything (Like GOD MEN SUCK or WHY ARE PEOPLE REPUBLICANS or even BEING A WOMAN SUUUUCKS referring to your period) without 20 people condescendingly starting an argument with you as if you were 100% serious.
The other day an acquaintance posted on facebook, “White.Men.Are.By.Far.The.Worst.Terrorists.In.America.”

I understood she was being hyperbolic, and that her point was actually that most terrorism in America is committed by white men [not Muslims or other classes]. She wasn’t actually blaming white men as a class for terrorism, though that was the content of the statement.

But I got all lawyer-y and argued the categorical error she was making. On one hand, I do think when it comes to these kinds of political pronouncements, we ought to be precise. On the other hand, yeah, I was being pedantic.

In the long run, it worked out to be a constructive dialogue with about a half-dozen people; including some who I think learned a little bit and may have changed some minds.

There’s been a spate of articles about how all this focus on right speech remains very alienating to a large portion of the public. I think it may be the root of some reaction against progressive policies that would otherwise have more public support. While as a lawyer and a leftist I recognize the importance of words, I’m also sympathetic to folks who don’t want to police their own language all the time and don’t feel able or willing to keep up with the latest.

As an aside, I’m not a fan of the over-use of the period that has developed in our written language in the past couple of years. I. don’t. find. it. particularly. expressive. And I think it lends itself to sloppy communication hiding sloppy thinking.

Back on topic, I think the problem is that social media is a very ambiguous psychic space. It feels solitary because you’re typing alone; it also feels like a relaxed space of friends and family because those are the people you interact with the most; but really it’s a public forum. I try to calibrate my speech on social media as though it is public speech, to an unknown audience. Even though I feel like I “know” most of the regulars around here, and we have enough of a history and rapport for me to get away with some shorthand, I need to keep in mind that really it’s a public space and there are people who may read my words more literally than I intend them.

Milkshake08

Post by Milkshake08 » 08 Nov 2018, 15:45

Welp, Nu, you woulda annoyed the crap out of me then. Sure, it's a public forum, but if you have it so only your "friends" can see something, then you are not putting it out to all the public. Also, you as a viewer who disagrees or doesn't get the joke or hyperbole can just scroll on past. It's an exercise in ego to comment and try to get into it with a person on social media. Or you also have the options to block, unfollow, unfriend or hey PRIVATE MESSAGE someone. And some girl on Facebook saying MEN SUCK doesn't need a "not all men!" from someone she hasn't talked to in ten years.

This was sparked by a male friend of mine jokingly saying "Why do people vote Republican?" on his wall, which of course brought a bunch of Republicans to him saying liberals are the REAL racists blah blah blah and then a bunch of self described 'liberals' who thought it would be fun to play 'devil's advocate.' Facebook and Twitter aren't news sites or even blogs, they are places you post memes and pictures and whatever the hell you want. Are you inviting challenge by putting something on there? Sure. But intentional hyperbole or sarcasm is getting killed by people either purposely taking it literally or intentionally misinterpreting so they can feel superior. That's annoying af.

Nu-D

Post by Nu-D » 08 Nov 2018, 16:18

But that’s the thing, if you’re getting responses from people you haven’t seen in 10 years and remote acquaintances, then your audience really is essentially the broad public. It’s not just family and friends. I think we have a tendency to feel that our social media presence is more closely held and personal than it really is.

In order for hyperbole to work it needs to be clear and that depends on who your audiences and how well they know you. This is particularly true in writing. Everybody knows that sarcasm doesn’t translate well on the Internet; hyperbole is essentially the same.

Milkshake08

Post by Milkshake08 » 08 Nov 2018, 18:53

Well you're assuming the audience doesn't get the hyperbole, when a lot of them do and are shitposting because they are condescending egomaniacs. And that also begs the question, does that person post on anything they see as positive or agree with? Do they regularly like/respond to your posts? Or do they normally scroll past? If the latter, then they have proven any response where they disagree or misinterpret (willfully or not) or argue to be entirely, as I said before, an exercise in ego rather than some sort of lofty conversation about the specificity of language. You admitted yourself you were being intentionally pedantic when you commented on a friend's post as such. What drove you to that? Was it necessary or important? If not, I don't see why anyone would start something on Facebook knowing that the medium is, as you seem to be inferring as well, not somewhere it can be honestly had, translated, or contribute to a meaningful discussion. Just scroll past.

(Nu, this is not to be a dick to you btw, you're great! I'm just making a point that indeed, hyperbole is dead on the internet BECAUSE of the same reasons you are arguing, but it doesn't have to be that way...it's the interpreters and not the posters, who are at fault here.)
Last edited by Milkshake08 on 08 Nov 2018, 18:55, edited 1 time in total.

Milkshake08

Post by Milkshake08 » 08 Nov 2018, 18:55

Oops double post sorry!

Anna Raven

Post by Anna Raven » 08 Nov 2018, 21:24

I'm going to side with NuD here, because I think hyperbole as a way to get your point across, especially on the internet, just comes across as trolling, like doing an impersonation of a "Shock jock" on the radio. "White men are just the worst" is really a fairly incendiary statement if you think about it, again when there is no context or inflection to go along with it.

But I will concede, my reaction, especially if I didn't know the person very well, would be to roll my eyes and keep on scrolling. I wouldn't react or post on it. If it was a really close friend, I might give them some grief back, but only if they are someone likely to get my "curmudgeonly sense of humor".

EDIT: And yes I get the irony that I didn't just "keep on scrolling" in this case lol. But I guess I felt it was ok to give my opinion, since I sort of agree with both of you? :P
Editorial Draft Results: Rogue | Magneto | Mystique | Sabretooth | Madelyn Prior | Lady Deathstrike | Blink | Peggy Carter | Vanisher | Dead Girl | Jimmy Hudson | Wither | Guardian

RingOtaku

Post by RingOtaku » 08 Nov 2018, 22:23

When Rogues collide
D20 Roulette: A Podcast of Geeks and Raging. https://rouletteproductions.com

Anna Raven

Post by Anna Raven » 08 Nov 2018, 22:50

RingOtaku wrote:
08 Nov 2018, 22:23
When Rogues collide
Milkshake knows I still love her, because we are the two best Rogue fans in the universe! (hyperbole!)
Editorial Draft Results: Rogue | Magneto | Mystique | Sabretooth | Madelyn Prior | Lady Deathstrike | Blink | Peggy Carter | Vanisher | Dead Girl | Jimmy Hudson | Wither | Guardian

das_boot

Post by das_boot » 09 Nov 2018, 11:26

Oh, I don’t care. My personal opinion is that if you’re in my social media and don’t like what I say, there’s a handy-dandy “unfriend” button and i’m not going to be salty about it nor am I going to take it as a commentary on how you feel about me as a person. If someone wishes to “concern troll” me, then okay, but i’m also going to defend my point and opinion with the same amount of bluntness with which I made my original point.

Y’all think I can be blunt here? Nope. Tip of the iceberg. I’m pretty moderate here.
Marvel Fantasy League Team: Laura Kinney, James Howlett, Domino, Luke Cage, Magik, Black Bolt, Sentry, Dazzler, Nick Fury, Dazzler, Hawkeye (not the Hawkguy)

EphemeristX

Post by EphemeristX » 09 Nov 2018, 13:51

I think most of us are pretty nice here even when we aren't. It's why I've stuck around so long. So many other places have gotten toxic over the years but we don't. We can disagree and not get namecally or dumb.

As Ive matured, I've found I actually don't like arguing, especially when everyone is refusing to hear each other. It's too much damn energy.