Welcome to unstablemolecules.com, the discussion home for mightyavengers.net, uncanon.com and uncannyxmen.net!

Random Thoughts

Level 01: Get to know the other posters better. What do they do when they don't read comics?
Crutey Anth

Re: Random Thoughts

Post by Crutey Anth » 10 Aug 2018, 08:53

The autograph question reminds me of a convo I've had numerous times about things like holiday photos.

I tend not to take photos on holiday etc People argue that its so they've got something to remind them of the holiday...I don't think I need a photo of he eiffel tower to remind me I've been there. If I'm in the photo with friends/loved ones/girlfriend then yeah I can buy that but the amount of people who take photos of landmarks etc I never fully understand (especially when I can download much better ones).

I often think the same when people get photos with celebrities. I remember seeing them/meeting them/saying hi....a photo of me and a stranger I've seen on a screen doesn't do anything for me.

Blackcyclops

Post by Blackcyclops » 10 Aug 2018, 09:15

Well it’s similar, for me anyway, to why it feels better when I build something/fix something myself versus getting a professional to do it...(this might sound very Marxist lol) but the act of doing it myself and being involved in the labor feels much more satisfying and connects me to the events of that place than just downloading someone else’s pic online.

When I took a photo of Sacre Coeur I knew that was due to me walking all them damn stairs and getting the right angle and lighting...I feel much more invested in the completed photo than if I just googled an image.
I'm Team Remender, Waid, Hickman and Gillen

My X-Men Draft Picks:
Prof. X, Legion, Polaris, Quicksilver, Meggan, Deadpool, Pixie, and Danger

tokenBG1009

Post by tokenBG1009 » 10 Aug 2018, 09:20

I have a photo with Jim Butcher, writer of the Dresden Files, that I enjoy seeing because his books are some of the best books I've ever read. It's the same reason I had him sign a couple of books. There's an emotional connection to these things instead of them being collectables.
A League of Their Own!

I wish I could write fanfiction...

Blackcyclops

Post by Blackcyclops » 10 Aug 2018, 09:43

Same as my grandfather’s photo with Jack Kirby...it’s literally my most priZed possession.

My X-Men Draft Picks:

tokenBG1009

Post by tokenBG1009 » 10 Aug 2018, 12:04

Blackcyclops wrote:
10 Aug 2018, 09:43
Same as my grandfather’s photo with Jack Kirby...it’s literally my most priZed possession.
Yeah, that's pretty cool.

Signatures and photos are like souvenirs. I'm not even sure I'd get a signature at a convention. When I met Jim Butcher it was during a small Q&A. It was specifically to meet him, I was able to ask him questions, and it was maybe 50 people. If I went to Comic-Con I don't think I'd get a signature from someone unless I was able to interact with them in some way.

"This is my copy of Star Wars #1 signed by Mark Hamill."
"Oh, what was he like?"
"I don't actually know. I just stood in line until it was my turn."

Keep in mind, everyone collects their own way so if that's what you like then more power to you. Some people collect signatures anyways.
A League of Their Own!

RingOtaku

Post by RingOtaku » 10 Aug 2018, 12:46

Yeah I'm not a big autograph person. Pictures for something truly special? Yeah because it is something you might want the memories to be stirred up regularly. Hence my Facebook profile pic being from a wrestling show I went to. Never been to a Con but I would go to a smaller one where I can have a chance to talk to the famous folks.
D20 Roulette: A Podcast of Geeks and Raging. https://rouletteproductions.com

tokenBG1009

Post by tokenBG1009 » 10 Aug 2018, 15:34

I hate when I make a reference I know no one will get. It's compulsive.
A League of Their Own!

Nu-D

Post by Nu-D » 10 Aug 2018, 17:15

tokenBG1009 wrote:
10 Aug 2018, 12:04
Blackcyclops wrote:
10 Aug 2018, 09:43
Yeah, that's pretty cool.

Signatures and photos are like souvenirs. I'm not even sure I'd get a signature at a convention. When I met Jim Butcher it was during a small Q&A. It was specifically to meet him, I was able to ask him questions, and it was maybe 50 people. If I went to Comic-Con I don't think I'd get a signature from someone unless I was able to interact with them in some way.

"This is my copy of Star Wars #1 signed by Mark Hamill."
"Oh, what was he like?"
"I don't actually know. I just stood in line until it was my turn."

Keep in mind, everyone collects their own way so if that's what you like then more power to you. Some people collect signatures anyways.
+1.

As I get older, I’ve come to understand the value of mementos more and more. I was home visiting my folks a few weeks ago, and spent some time rummaging through old boxes. Various items brought to mind old memories and old friends I hadn’t thought of in years. It’s not like I “forgot” these people and events, but they had just been filed away. The memento was a way to trigger the memory.

Standing in line is not a memory I particularly relish, and so a signature from an event like that would be meaningless to me. Likewise, going to work while my friend goes and meets the author is not something to record with a memento.

Alternatively, if there was a real interaction with the author, that would be different (although, I would imagine I would remember the conversation every time I looked at the book itself, and the signature would be surplus).

Blackcyclops

Post by Blackcyclops » 12 Aug 2018, 02:41

The Death of Superman animated film (the new one) is like their best one yet, at least in their shared universe era. It almost perfectly captures the feel of one of my all time favorite DC stories. It definitely makes both Dawn of Justice and Justice League seem just like even more disappointments lol

Only quibble I have is how weak Hal came off...and it still feela like nobody outside comics know how to really portray how amazing the Flash should be.

My X-Men Draft Picks:

tokenBG1009

Post by tokenBG1009 » 13 Aug 2018, 11:53

Caught up on My Hero Academia after just starting it a couple weeks ag and All Might is legit my favorite hero ever. The fight between him and All for One had me choked up at moments.
A League of Their Own!

RingOtaku

Post by RingOtaku » 13 Aug 2018, 15:27

I am quietly becoming obsessed with "Danny Don't You Know" mostly because it still keeps the inherent humor of NSP while still sending an awesome message. Plus the video has Finn Wolfhard from Stranger Things as Young Danny.

Anna Raven

Post by Anna Raven » 13 Aug 2018, 16:06

These last two posts have included a lot of references to things I have never heard of or don't understand...
DC Draft Results: Martian Manhunter | Zatanna | GL (John Stewart) | Shazam! | Flash (Barry Allen)| Katana | Hawkman
Legion of Doom: Sinestro | Black Adam | Flash's Rogues

Blackcyclops

Post by Blackcyclops » 13 Aug 2018, 16:26

tokenBG1009 wrote:
13 Aug 2018, 11:53
Caught up on My Hero Academia after just starting it a couple weeks ag and All Might is legit my favorite hero ever. The fight between him and All for One had me choked up at moments.
Deku!!!!!!!!!

My X-Men Draft Picks:

EphemeristX

Post by EphemeristX » 13 Aug 2018, 17:02

"Danny Don't You Know" is hilarious. I enjoy the hell out of it. Ninja Sex Party is just a bunch of nerds about my age who grew up loving all the stuff I used to. It's exactly my demo.
http://dancehall-daze.tumblr.com

"Take your baby by the ears
And play upon her darkest fears"

Blackcyclops

Post by Blackcyclops » 13 Aug 2018, 20:15

EphX has used Chris Evans so long that in my mind he looks like him lol...

My X-Men Draft Picks:

RingOtaku

Post by RingOtaku » 14 Aug 2018, 03:38

EphemeristX wrote:
13 Aug 2018, 17:02
"Danny Don't You Know" is hilarious. I enjoy the hell out of it. Ninja Sex Party is just a bunch of nerds about my age who grew up loving all the stuff I used to. It's exactly my demo.
Yep. Have all their orignal albums, both of related band Starbomb's albums, and I saw them in concert.

EphemeristX

Post by EphemeristX » 14 Aug 2018, 03:48

I made pork dumplings for the first time. Other than using a little too much sesame oil and steaming the first batch in too much water, they turned out pretty damn good.

XtremeOne1

Post by XtremeOne1 » 14 Aug 2018, 04:42

Oh impressed. I've always wanted to try that. Got a recipe? Was it hard?

EphemeristX

Post by EphemeristX » 14 Aug 2018, 06:15

Uh, not really. You kinda just mix all the stuff and put it in wrappers. I just did the store-bought because there's no way I'm making dough too. You do have to juggle making sure the filling is cooked against overcooking the outside -- that's probably the hardest. And with pork, you really gotta make sure it gets done. I just pulled a recipe off Tasty that looked good. Cabbage, pork, green onions, garlic, ginger, soy sauce and sesame oil.

Blackcyclops

Post by Blackcyclops » Today, 10:19

I’m actually looking forward to season 2 of Iron Fist

My X-Men Draft Picks:

Nu-D

Post by Nu-D » Today, 11:57

Blackcyclops wrote:
Today, 10:19
I’m actually looking forward to season 2 of Iron Fist
Me too. I rewatched s.1 a little while back, and I think it got a bad rap. There were a few scenes in the early episodes where Finns acting was pretty hammy, but overall I enjoyed the season. In particular Danny and Colleen had good chemistry. As with all of the Netflix shows, 13 episodes it a little too much, forcing the writers to include one or two unnecessary and distracting subplots; but that problem was actually pretty minimal in IF compared to JJ s.2.