unstablemolecules.com & uncannyxmen.net are proud to present....mightyavengers.net!

Random Thoughts

Level 01: Get to know the other posters better. What do they do when they don't read comics?
Spectral Knight

Re: Random Thoughts

Post by Spectral Knight » 10 Jul 2018, 12:20

I know there was plenty of xenophobic / racism in the arguments for leave. The benefits or negatives of free movement is an important topic that should have been considered regardless of which way anyone voted but the way it was discussed was pretty shambolic. At no point should anyone have made the derogatory statements against migrants that were cast, against people who are essentially wishing to improve their lot in life, which is what we're all after really, but the policy of migration with respect to EU rules should have been discussed with much more relation to the facts of the matter, and the true impact free movement both pluses and minus (economic advantages of migration vs strain on public services that weren't funded to cope with such migration, and couldn't be budgeted for regardless because it was a complete unknown...).

Don't get me wrong, on the whole an economic downturn is bad for EVERYONE. What my feelings were that the short, sharp shock would also facilitate the foundations for a much better, global approach to trade, that in the long-term would bring about the opportunity for much more peak than trough. Being able to manage our own national tariffs would allow for far greater, and nuanced approach to driving the split on imports / exports (as required) rather than trying to base our national economy around the duties that are applied for the well-being of 28 different countries, all with completely different economic realities. Not to mention we were still a net contributor to the EU finances, so we were putting in more cash than we were getting out... which is a fundamentally simple economic question of preference. Were those benefits of EU membership (of which there were many) worth the contributions that we paid in?

For me, nope they weren't. When you look at it on the whole, there were countries who were net beneficiaries of the EU, who received the same open market benefits, which fundamentally meant we as a nation were paying for their access to the trading block. On a macro-economic level, that's ludicrous, let alone when you look at the flow of migration essentially went from poorer countries in the Union to richer countries in the Union, meaning the whole ambition of the differing financial contributions and beneficiaries of the EU funds was to level out those markets was lost.
MCU Draft
Heroes - Jessica Jones|Rocket|Ghost Rider|Leo Fitz|Sif|Howard Stark|Gert + Old Lace
Villains: Loki|Killgrave|Ego

Wings

Post by Wings » 10 Jul 2018, 12:31

I would argue that on the point of the EU's red lines, they don't have much of an incentive to pull back on them. While the same could be said for the UK, the EU weren't the ones who made the decision. It's why Leo Varadkar and Simon Coveney have been so adamant about it being the British government's responsibility to come up with a way to solve the Northern Ireland border issue. Why should it be the responsibility of the Irish or of the EU to solve a problem they didn't cause?
Sign-ups for Betrayal Game 76: Murder in Manhattan now open! Help Jessica Jones solve the unexplained murder of a group of super-villains! Link to the thread here:
viewtopic.php?f=24&p=169031#p169031

Nu-D

Post by Nu-D » 10 Jul 2018, 12:43

All I know is that it's been a blessed relief for the media to be focused on the shitshow of UK politics instead of the shitshow of US politics.

Spectral Knight

Post by Spectral Knight » 10 Jul 2018, 12:55

Sure, there's no incentive beyond that EU signed the Good Friday agreement and Britain is currently a massive trading partner to the other 27. re: the Irish situation, Britain could well say we'll open our borders to Ireland as per the terms of the CTA that was in place prior to both ROI and UK joining the EU, but would that be reciprocal and allow goods that haven't gone through customs entry into the EU?

The point is, Article 50 makes clear it's a negotiation. Both the departing and the remaining states should be putting forward proposals. The obvious incentive for the EU to come up with a solution is that without an agreed solution, it'll be no deal. And no deal is far riskier than anything else.
MCU Draft
Heroes - Jessica Jones|Rocket|Ghost Rider|Leo Fitz|Sif|Howard Stark|Gert + Old Lace
Villains: Loki|Killgrave|Ego

Anna Raven

Post by Anna Raven » 10 Jul 2018, 14:42

Nu-D wrote:
10 Jul 2018, 12:43
All I know is that it's been a blessed relief for the media to be focused on the shitshow of UK politics instead of the shitshow of US politics.
This.^

At least Theresa May (to my knowledge) hasn't ordered any innocent kids separated from their families. :(

@Token: Does every story/song/anecdote about unrequited love have to be "nice guy-ism"? Can't some things just be oh I like that girl, but she doesn't like me so I'm sad? It doesn't make you a creepy stalker unless you start acting like a creepy stalker right?
DC Draft Results: Martian Manhunter | Zatanna | GL (John Stewart) | Shazam! | Flash (Barry Allen)| Katana
Legion of Doom: Sinestro | Black Adam | Flash's Rogues

Nu-D

Post by Nu-D » 10 Jul 2018, 17:20

Nu-D wrote:
Sadly, it appears to have lasted just one day. We’re back to our 24/7 Trump-a-thon.

EphemeristX

Post by EphemeristX » 10 Jul 2018, 19:43

Anna Raven wrote:
10 Jul 2018, 14:42
@Token: Does every story/song/anecdote about unrequited love have to be "nice guy-ism"? Can't some things just be oh I like that girl, but she doesn't like me so I'm sad? It doesn't make you a creepy stalker unless you start acting like a creepy stalker right?
I'm of two minds on this. One, I feel like it could be lifted from one of those "it's not you, it's me" breakup speeches someone gave to him (or someone else).

"You're good to me, you're sweet, you're smart, but I just can't be with you."

Also, it could be a guy watching a girl get with a bunch of assholes and wishing she'd see the perfect guy standing right there. Art is subjective, and there's more to art than creator intent, so I feel like both interpretations are correct.
http://dancehall-daze.tumblr.com

"Take your baby by the ears
And play upon her darkest fears"

das_boot

Post by das_boot » 10 Jul 2018, 20:31

Anna Raven wrote:
Nu-D wrote:
This.^

At least Theresa May (to my knowledge) hasn't ordered any innocent kids separated from their families. :(
I wouldn’t put it past her. She’s vile. She should never have been made Minister for Women and Equality when her stance at the time was 100% anti-gay marriage. In fact, she opposed it with such vitriol and saying that gay marriage was “abhorrent” (I believe that was her choice of words) and when asked why she suddenly started to vote in favour of marriage equality after being given that post, she simply stated that she had “changed her mind”. She’s horrific, political bedfellows with anti-abortionists and people who are 100% anti-gay and she bought them off with money that wasn’t available to go towards our health system. She said there was no “magic money tree” except that there IS when she needs to rustle up seats in Parliament to secure her position, after a snap election that SHE called and subsequently lost a majority on.

In any other kind of career, that kind of a rapid downward spiral would be considered a sackable offence, yet apparently it’s okay for the most powerful woman in our current political landscape. Vile vulture-faced shitheel of a woman.
Marvel Fantasy League Team: Laura Kinney, James Howlett, Domino, Luke Cage, Magik, Black Bolt, Sentry, Dazzler, Nick Fury, Dazzler, Hawkeye (not the Hawkguy)

EphemeristX

Post by EphemeristX » 10 Jul 2018, 21:02

das_boot wrote:
10 Jul 2018, 20:31
In any other kind of career, that kind of a rapid downward spiral would be considered a sackable offence, yet apparently it’s okay for the most powerful woman in our current political landscape. Vile vulture-faced shitheel of a woman.
Wow. Tell us how you really feel, booty.
http://dancehall-daze.tumblr.com

"Take your baby by the ears
And play upon her darkest fears"

RingOtaku

Post by RingOtaku » 10 Jul 2018, 22:10

I could watch the Tongans lay out the rest of the Bullet Club everyday for the rest of my life. I have been waiting for someone to drop Omega and the Bucks like this since they took over the BC.
D20 Roulette: A Podcast of Geeks and Raging. https://rouletteproductions.com

das_boot

Post by das_boot » 10 Jul 2018, 22:35

EphemeristX wrote:
10 Jul 2018, 21:02
das_boot wrote:
10 Jul 2018, 20:31
Wow. Tell us how you really feel, booty.
We have literally no good choices in our current political landscape and somehow, one of the worst of a woeful bunch is in power.
Marvel Fantasy League Team: Laura Kinney, James Howlett, Domino, Luke Cage, Magik, Black Bolt, Sentry, Dazzler, Nick Fury, Dazzler, Hawkeye (not the Hawkguy)

tokenBG1009

Post by tokenBG1009 » 11 Jul 2018, 05:45

EphemeristX wrote:
10 Jul 2018, 19:43
Anna Raven wrote:
I'm of two minds on this. One, I feel like it could be lifted from one of those "it's not you, it's me" breakup speeches someone gave to him (or someone else).

"You're good to me, you're sweet, you're smart, but I just can't be with you."

Also, it could be a guy watching a girl get with a bunch of assholes and wishing she'd see the perfect guy standing right there. Art is subjective, and there's more to art than creator intent, so I feel like both interpretations are correct.
Part of me is 100% certain I hate that song because it reminds me so much of a similar situation I went through. I was the guy saying "I'm everything you want" and she never could feel the same way about me. Eventually, I just came to realize it doesn't matter if I think I'm perfect for her because she doesn't believe that.

To me, that song is basically trying to get across that her decisions are bad and she should make the right one instead. It doesn't necessarily have to be "nice guy-ism" though. The dude could legitimately be a good friend to her. It still doesn't sound great when you're telling someone "I'm what you want. Why won't you choose me?"
A League of Their Own!

I wish I could write fanfiction...

tokenBG1009

Post by tokenBG1009 » 11 Jul 2018, 12:53

My Hero Academia might be my favorite anime in the last 15 years...

Fate/Stay is probably the closest, but MHA is just. so. good.
A League of Their Own!

RingOtaku

Post by RingOtaku » 11 Jul 2018, 14:06

Has it been 15 years yet for Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood? The first one is great but Brotherhood kicks it up a notch.
D20 Roulette: A Podcast of Geeks and Raging. https://rouletteproductions.com

bamf

Post by bamf » 11 Jul 2018, 16:31

Hey guys/gals? A buddy of mine and myself started a podcast called Drunk Guys on Chick Flicks (available on most platforms or at www.drunkguysonchickflicks.com) and I would love some feedback! Don't feel pressured at all but I'd love an opportunity to improve!
MFL: Captain America, Iron Man, Storm, Daredevil, Nightcrawler, Ant-Man, Wasp, Scarlet Witch, Quicksilver, Iron Fist

tokenBG1009

Post by tokenBG1009 » 11 Jul 2018, 21:59

RingOtaku wrote:
11 Jul 2018, 14:06
Has it been 15 years yet for Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood? The first one is great but Brotherhood kicks it up a notch.
Brotherhood really is good, it's a top 3 for sure, but as a dude who generally seeks more positivity, I'd honestly give it to My Hero Academia. Brotherhood makes me sad a lot.
A League of Their Own!

Blackcyclops

Post by Blackcyclops » 11 Jul 2018, 22:58

I have yet to watch the anime...I do read the manga. It’s my third favorite right now...Dr. stone is my fave!
I'm Team Remender, Waid, Hickman and Gillen

My X-Men Draft Picks:
Prof. X, Legion, Polaris, Quicksilver, Meggan, Deadpool, Pixie, and Danger

Cable

Post by Cable » 12 Jul 2018, 18:26

Well England is was fun while it lasted...

I am cheering for Croatia over France. Everyone loves an underdog story.
Rank your favorite characters in the X-Men Character Sorter! Share your results!

"If life were a picnic, you'd be a family. Since life is war, you're soldiers. You'd do well to start accepting that fact."--Nathan Summers

Anna Raven

Post by Anna Raven » 12 Jul 2018, 18:30

DC Draft Results: Martian Manhunter | Zatanna | GL (John Stewart) | Shazam! | Flash (Barry Allen)| Katana
Legion of Doom: Sinestro | Black Adam | Flash's Rogues

EvilMonkeyPope

Post by EvilMonkeyPope » 13 Jul 2018, 00:45

I ghoulishly photographed TRU as it died: https://mattthecatania.wordpress.com/20 ... tru-death/