unstablemolecules.com & uncannyxmen.net are proud to present....mightyavengers.net!

Random Thoughts

Level 01: Get to know the other posters better. What do they do when they don't read comics?
RingOtaku

Re: Random Thoughts

Post by RingOtaku » 08 Apr 2018, 01:07

It wasn't. I think the odd X-men Forever and the bad Exiles book is what sours people on CC and make some fans want to believe the Urban Legend. I liked his last run on UXM.
D20 Roulette: A Podcast of Geeks and Raging. https://rouletteproductions.com

Gibbering Fool

Post by Gibbering Fool » 08 Apr 2018, 07:58

I didn't mind Claremont's last Uncanny run. He did a much better job of acknowledging continuity and stories by other writers than any other writer did at the time. We might not have X-23 now it he hadn't picked her up and used her (though yes he did a pretty awful interpretation of her). His dialogue was really stilted though. "What the devil!". It was forgivable though.

It was his butchering of Exiles that ruined Claremont for me though.

Blackcyclops

Post by Blackcyclops » 08 Apr 2018, 10:40

You have the “purists”/nostalgia-hawks who definitely hated CC’s last run. But they also hate alot of stuff.

His last run wasn’t a favorite of mine but it wasn’t the worst either. Now his Exiles was the worst thing CC wrote. Nighycrawler though was very fun. I didn’t read Forever though cause I knew it would make me upset.
I'm Team Remender, Waid, Hickman and Gillen

My X-Men Draft Picks:
Prof. X, Legion, Polaris, Quicksilver, Meggan, Deadpool, Pixie, and Danger

Nu-D

Post by Nu-D » 09 Apr 2018, 00:46

Didn’t he write “The End”? I really liked that. I thought is was a fitting coda on his X-Men career. It wasn’t great, but it sort of fulfilled his characters arcs.

RingOtaku

Post by RingOtaku » 09 Apr 2018, 14:57

Yep. CC wrote "The End". Ultimately I just find the truth of it more interesting than the legend based on the hate. Marvel pays him to stay exclusive even if they aren't handing him work outside of the rare one-off. Kind of thing that with the shake-up of upper management recently could change. Imagine if he's cut free. Would he go to DC or Image? Or just quietly retire?

Cyke

Post by Cyke » 09 Apr 2018, 22:34

Does CC's last UXM run start with #444? If so, then I'm just starting my first read through of that period and have enjoyed it quite much so far.

Gomurr the Ancient

Post by Gomurr the Ancient » 10 Apr 2018, 03:58

Yeah, I think that's where it begins. I enjoyed all his X-Men runs, though I was not a fan of his X-Men Forever series. Honestly, if they've got him in retainer I don't understand why they wouldn't have him writing something. Seems like paying him to produce something, even if it doesn't sell great, is better than paying him for nothing. Maybe just digitally release it to reduce costs further?

Jumping topic, figured I'd drop this here since it doesn't merit a whole thread, but people here might be interested in checking out projectalpha.com. It's a site that does comic and gaming related programming, and I've really enjoyed a number of the shows there. Of particular interest are the Alpha Comic Book Club, which does a weekly read and discussion about it, the Wednesday Club, which is more a deep dive on various comic topics each week, and Ask Your Black Geek Friend, which does weekly pop culture news and topic discussion, along with fielding viewer questions. Don't know why it took until now for you to dawn on me that there were people here who might also like these shows I've been loving for the last year or so. Currently you can get two free months viewing with the sign up code QUESTION, so if any of that piques your interest it might be worth a look.
Take it from me -- One doesn't become Gomurr the Ancient by keeping one's eyes clenched shut. First and foremost, you have to be named Gomurr. Then you have to get really, really old.

Anna Raven

Post by Anna Raven » 10 Apr 2018, 05:08

Gomurr the Ancient wrote:
10 Apr 2018, 03:58
Jumping topic, figured I'd drop this here since it doesn't merit a whole thread, but people here might be interested in checking out projectalpha.com. It's a site that does comic and gaming related programming, and I've really enjoyed a number of the shows there. Of particular interest are the Alpha Comic Book Club, which does a weekly read and discussion about it, the Wednesday Club, which is more a deep dive on various comic topics each week, and Ask Your Black Geek Friend, which does weekly pop culture news and topic discussion, along with fielding viewer questions. Don't know why it took until now for you to dawn on me that there were people here who might also like these shows I've been loving for the last year or so. Currently you can get two free months viewing with the sign up code QUESTION, so if any of that piques your interest it might be worth a look.
I don't subscribe to Alpha because its a paid service, but I do watch Geek and Sundry, which is basically the free Twitch version. I think they stream some of that stuff on Geek and Sundry as well. I mostly watch G&S for Critical Role though to be honest. I watched one of their comic shows once and was kind of appalled by their basic lack of knowledge of a few topics, so I really haven't dived back in.
MCU Draft Results: Spider-Man | Cyclops | Black Panther II | Sister Grimm | Crystal and Lockjaw | The Strucker Twins | Killmonger | The Frost Sisters | Zemo

Gomurr the Ancient

Post by Gomurr the Ancient » 10 Apr 2018, 06:01

Yeah, Critical Role is how I stumbled across this stuff. Wednesday Club I think streams on G&S, don't think the others do. I never have time to watch things when they air, and between those shows and the CR shows I watch more hours of this than Netflix per month, so the sub is worth it to me. I've not found the hosts to be unknowledgeable, but I also didn't read many comics other than x-books until I started watching some of this stuff and getting exposed to what was out there, so whatever you found galling may have gone unnoticed by me.
Take it from me -- One doesn't become Gomurr the Ancient by keeping one's eyes clenched shut. First and foremost, you have to be named Gomurr. Then you have to get really, really old.

Blackcyclops

Post by Blackcyclops » 10 Apr 2018, 10:35

CC’s stuff during post M-Day was wayyy better than his Revolution stuff. That was Bendis level bad to me.

My X-Men Draft Picks:

tokenBG1009

Post by tokenBG1009 » 10 Apr 2018, 10:53

Project Alpha was basically what killed TableTop and that's a cardinal sin for me. I do appreciate Critical Role whenever I watch it though. I've heard the program that replaced it just wasn't as good either without Wil Wheaton.

Speaking of YouTube channels that I enjoy... Because Science might be one of my favorites. Kyle Hill goes into some crazy depth talking about the science of nerd plot points in movies and comics. I didn't even realize he's on Alpha until now though. I guess that's the good thing about it though? If you don't have Alpha and don't know it exists then you never really miss anything.
eXiles Draft: Frenzy (Age of X), Basilisk (Age of X), Howlett (XXM), Hercules (XXM), Longshot (Mojoverse), Mojo (Free Agent), Scottius Summerisle (1602), John Grey (1602), Ultimate Wasp and Giant-Man

Nu-D

Post by Nu-D » 10 Apr 2018, 11:32

Oddly, Marvel is marketing the Seagel/Kavenaugh run on Uncanny as X-Men Blue v.0.

Blackcyclops

Post by Blackcyclops » 10 Apr 2018, 12:37

Strangely enough, as I moved more into podcast I moved away from Youtube. I think because I can do more things while listening to a podcast, versus having to watch Youtube

My X-Men Draft Picks:

tokenBG1009

Post by tokenBG1009 » 11 Apr 2018, 00:35

Blackcyclops wrote:
10 Apr 2018, 12:37
Strangely enough, as I moved more into podcast I moved away from Youtube. I think because I can do more things while listening to a podcast, versus having to watch Youtube
YouTube is something that plays in the background for me. I don't often actively watch videos anymore.
eXiles Draft: Frenzy (Age of X), Basilisk (Age of X), Howlett (XXM), Hercules (XXM), Longshot (Mojoverse), Mojo (Free Agent), Scottius Summerisle (1602), John Grey (1602), Ultimate Wasp and Giant-Man

das_boot

Post by das_boot » 11 Apr 2018, 12:33

I love Kyle Hill. Intelligent and beautiful. He’s certainly a YouTube crush
Marvel Fantasy League Team: Laura Kinney, James Howlett, Domino, Luke Cage, Magik, Black Bolt, Sentry, Dazzler, Nick Fury, Dazzler, Hawkeye (not the Hawkguy)

RingOtaku

Post by RingOtaku » 11 Apr 2018, 14:39

tokenBG1009 wrote:
11 Apr 2018, 00:35
Blackcyclops wrote:
10 Apr 2018, 12:37
YouTube is something that plays in the background for me. I don't often actively watch videos anymore.
Yep. One of my regular channels is clips from a podcast so I just use them as background audio. Mostly so I can relisten to particularly good segments without having to backtrack the entire episode and search for that part.

EvilMonkeyPope

Post by EvilMonkeyPope » 14 Apr 2018, 22:00

I wanted a DST Edward Nygma to customize into the Gotham version of Riddler. I couldn't find the basic TRU edition, so I bought the deluxe version online. The day before it arrived, I found the TRU edition on clearance. Now I don't know which of my two Nygmas to open.

Anna Raven

Post by Anna Raven » 15 Apr 2018, 00:12

EvilMonkeyPope wrote:
14 Apr 2018, 22:00
I wanted a DST Edward Nygma to customize into the Gotham version of Riddler. I couldn't find the basic TRU edition, so I bought the deluxe version online. The day before it arrived, I found the TRU edition on clearance. Now I don't know which of my two Nygmas to open.
Are you saying it's a ... riddle?
MCU Draft Results: Spider-Man | Cyclops | Black Panther II | Sister Grimm | Crystal and Lockjaw | The Strucker Twins | Killmonger | The Frost Sisters | Zemo

RingOtaku

Post by RingOtaku » 15 Apr 2018, 16:00

EvilMonkeyPope wrote:
14 Apr 2018, 22:00
Whichever one drank all of the orange juice except a couple drops and put it back in the fridge.

Nu-D

Post by Nu-D » 17 Apr 2018, 15:36

When we began looking at houses it slowly dawned on me that I really missed having a shop, and that I wanted to buy a house that had space for one. Now that I have it, it’s beyond words how fantastic I find it to have a workshop. After all these years, the chance to build things again has been revelatory.

tokenBG1009

Post by tokenBG1009 » 18 Apr 2018, 07:47

Girlfriend and I are moving into our first (rental) house next month. It has a garage, but I don't know if we'll actually use it for anything. I imagine I'll figure out in time, but if we aren't putting one of the cars in it I imagine I'll turn it into something at some point.

Nu-D

Post by Nu-D » 18 Apr 2018, 12:12

Built this on Sunday so my wife can reach stuff.
7409F391-542D-441D-90F5-18CE58E19543.jpeg
7409F391-542D-441D-90F5-18CE58E19543.jpeg (1.72 MiB) Viewed 36 times
Pretty basic design, though the compound angles took some figuring. By choosing the weathered, rustic look I got a lot of leeway on the mortises, which is good because I’m 20-years out of practice with a chisel.

Spectral Knight

Post by Spectral Knight » 18 Apr 2018, 14:11

A garage? Pfft. I'd love a bit of grass to ourselves.

Alas London's property pricing seems to have knocked that on the head for the foreseeable future.
MCU Draft
Heroes - Jessica Jones|Rocket|Ghost Rider|Leo Fitz|Sif|Howard Stark|Gert + Old Lace
Villains: Loki|Killgrave|Ego

Cable

Post by Cable » 18 Apr 2018, 18:32

Today I learned that if someone online says "Can Goku destroy every Marvel hero? I say yes!", it is not worth actually engaging this person in a reasoned debate on the subject.

(It went something like this:
"He is physically strong, but Xavier can beat him from a wheelchair."
"Xavier's power doesn't work on aliens"
"It definitely does. He used a psychic attack to defeat the alien that originally broke his legs."
"That is an alien from his universe. It wouldn't work on an alien from the Dragonball universe."
😐)
Rank your favorite characters in the X-Men Character Sorter! Share your results!

"If life were a picnic, you'd be a family. Since life is war, you're soldiers. You'd do well to start accepting that fact."--Nathan Summers