Welcome to unstablemolecules.com!

Random Thoughts

Level 01: Get to know the other posters better. What do they do when they don't read comics?
Blackcyclops

Re: Random Thoughts

Post by Blackcyclops » 11 Nov 2017, 07:18

https://www.cbr.com/warner-bros-suspend ... legations/

Sheesh...

Honestly, Brett Ratner is literally the only one I’m not shocked about...George Takei on the other hand? Damn...I guess I do have to contextualize his with history and the social climate toward homosexuality at the time. Still though, if true that sucks.

Speaking of, how do you as an individual take accusations like that against a person of power? Do you without question believe any accuser (be it 1 or 100) regardless of sex/gender? Does timing have anything to do with it (like if a guy came out and said Michelle Obama sexually harassed her as soon as she announced running in 2020)? And does it instantly change how you view their art or politics?
I'm Team Remender, Waid, Hickman and Gillen

My X-Men Draft Picks:
Prof. X, Legion, Polaris, Quicksilver, Meggan, Deadpool, Pixie, and Danger

tokenBG1009

Post by tokenBG1009 » 11 Nov 2017, 11:40

I see the accusation and wait for more evidence.
eXiles Draft: Frenzy (Age of X), Basilisk (Age of X), Howlett (XXM), Hercules (XXM), Longshot (Mojoverse), Mojo (Free Agent)

RingOtaku

Post by RingOtaku » 11 Nov 2017, 15:56

Yep. Our legal system is built on "innocent until proven guilty". Now if the accuser comes forward with evidence, well now that's hard to brush away. But at this point so many are coming forward about so varied a group, I find myself unable to rage. I'm more like "Really? This one too? Well I mean okay but there better be some pictures or something."
Check Out Recruitment Drive: https://www.createspace.com/6339770

D20 Roulette: A Podcast of Geeks and Raging. https://soundcloud.com/d20roulette

Pro Wrestling: Everything awesomely camp about super-hero fights, but with aging and music.

_Rick_

Post by _Rick_ » 11 Nov 2017, 19:29

Having dealt in real life with situations where accusations were being made that turned out to have no basis in truth, I've learned to be very cautious about these things. I've seen how easily a bunch of people can be lead to believe certain stuff no matter how implausible and the chaos that can ensue. Ironically, my experience was that the more implausible and serious the accusation, the more adamantly some people believed it because "why would someone make up such a stupid lie". The sad truth is that some people don't need much justification to make up lies.

The "innocent until proven guilty" is not just a solid principle to use in courts but also a good thing to keep in mind in day to day life. This, of course, doesn't mean that one should assume every accusation is untruthful either. Keep an eye out and offer support. But at the same time, people should be weary of spreading along mere rumours and not let themselves be pulled into a witch hunt that has little to no evidence behind it. Some things can't be taken back.

I will say though, when it comes to Takei, the only thing that shocks me is that there finally seems to be a change in the cultural zeitgeist that allows male victims to be taken a bit more seriously. The guy has had a reputation for being the "creepy innapropriate gay uncle" for ages. And not just because of "rumours" (aka the many stories of him making male coworkers/staff unconfortable) but from things he himself has said and done on tape (which are far more damning IMHO). For one of the latest examples, check this stuff out: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AJYb0Yom5UQ
Even in the middle of these scandals, the fact that he can't stop himself from laughing as he kind of silently admits he has grabbed men's genitals against their will says a lot. His further clarification that he uses such tactics as "persuasion" techniques for the "skittish" and "afraid" is even worse. This wouldn't fly if they were women. However, until now, pretty much everytime he says or does stuff like this people have been taking it as funny because it's men on the receiving end.

Blackcyclops

Post by Blackcyclops » 14 Nov 2017, 17:14

Just watch this week's Death Battle on Youtube...man Naruto and Bleach got really really really really ridiculous LOL...

My X-Men Draft Picks:

Cable

Post by Cable » 14 Nov 2017, 17:33

Mad Max Fury Road was great and I have been waiting for a sequel but it looks like that isn't happening now considering the director is suing the studio :/
Rank your favorite characters in the X-Men Character Sorter! Share your results!

"If life were a picnic, you'd be a family. Since life is war, you're soldiers. You'd do well to start accepting that fact."--Nathan Summers

Blackcyclops

Post by Blackcyclops » 14 Nov 2017, 17:38

Well that friggin sucks...

Batman Beyond Vs Spider-man 2099? Miguel's going to lose, I know it...

My X-Men Draft Picks:

EphemeristX

Post by EphemeristX » 14 Nov 2017, 21:58

I'm very weary of the words "witch hunt". It's been well documented that Hollywood has cultivated a culture of sexual harassment. I've heard things about Brett Ratner for years, as I have for George Takei, Kevin Spacey, Harvey Weinstein, and Louis CK. Could they be wrong? Sure. But there's a pattern here, and even if some of these are false, the over all movement is just and this has needed to happen for a long time.

I get that any one random person claiming so could be lying, but the statistics for false accusations for rape and related crimes are no higher than false claims for anything else. Yet, somehow, nobody wants to believe the accuser when it's about sexual misconduct.

The fact is, almost none of these accusers will be able to seek, or find, judicial justice. And many more of them suffer major backlash for speaking up. But if it shines a light on these dark, seedy places, it may save the next young person from suffering the same fate. And if they do, it can give them a voice. That's the important thing here.
http://dancehall-daze.tumblr.com

"Take your baby by the ears
And play upon her darkest fears"

Nu-D

Post by Nu-D » 15 Nov 2017, 02:04

First time homeowner here. :D

Blackcyclops

Post by Blackcyclops » 15 Nov 2017, 04:08

Nu-D wrote:
15 Nov 2017, 02:04
Well depending on if the tax bill passes, that smile might be alil smaller lol

My X-Men Draft Picks:

Milkshake08

Post by Milkshake08 » 15 Nov 2017, 05:15

EphemeristX wrote:
14 Nov 2017, 21:58
I'm very weary of the words "witch hunt". It's been well documented that Hollywood has cultivated a culture of sexual harassment. I've heard things about Brett Ratner for years, as I have for George Takei, Kevin Spacey, Harvey Weinstein, and Louis CK. Could they be wrong? Sure. But there's a pattern here, and even if some of these are false, the over all movement is just and this has needed to happen for a long time.

I get that any one random person claiming so could be lying, but the statistics for false accusations for rape and related crimes are no higher than false claims for anything else. Yet, somehow, nobody wants to believe the accuser when it's about sexual misconduct.

The fact is, almost none of these accusers will be able to seek, or find, judicial justice. And many more of them suffer major backlash for speaking up. But if it shines a light on these dark, seedy places, it may save the next young person from suffering the same fate. And if they do, it can give them a voice. That's the important thing here.
Slow clap.

I don't know if the Takei accusation referenced was real, however, since it wasn't reported by or to a reputable journalist and has no verification. Not that I wouldn't believe he's kind of creepy, but I don't know much about him. I think a lot more will be outed soon enough, but I hope it happens more than just in Hollywood. Hollywood hasn't just cultivated a culture of sexual harassment. The world has. Go to a comic convention as a woman. Ask female comic writers, video game creators, business executives, lawyers, writers, teachers. It's not just Hollywood. We deal with this everywhere.

tokenBG1009

Post by tokenBG1009 » 15 Nov 2017, 05:48

For some reason, I don't think the business world will see an outing like we're seeing in Hollywood. It's much too conservative. I think the comic book world has had a decent showing of it though. I wouldn't be surprised if we don't see Brian Wood back in Marvel.
eXiles Draft: Frenzy (Age of X), Basilisk (Age of X), Howlett (XXM), Hercules (XXM), Longshot (Mojoverse), Mojo (Free Agent)

Blackcyclops

Post by Blackcyclops » 15 Nov 2017, 11:53

Well you think it’s hard for women to come out about this, imagine being a man...so I could see the hesitation or lack of stuff about Takei. Only other men I know who spoke up were Terry Crews and that guy from Mean Girls (he was bullied like how Ellen Page was by Ratner...less pervy, more homophobic).

My X-Men Draft Picks:

tokenBG1009

Post by tokenBG1009 » 15 Nov 2017, 13:47

David Yost, the original Blue Ranger, was bullied when he was on Power Rangers for being gay. I haven't heard of many other men coming forward about harassment and bullying.

Spectral Knight

Post by Spectral Knight » 15 Nov 2017, 13:48

I'm still of the view that those accused of sexual assault and/or rape should get the right of anonymity up until the point of a guilty conviction. Both are such specifically horrendous crimes that are quite rightly condemned by all correctly-thinking people, that having accusations against you, whether proven or not, forever damages one's life. It would also stops trial by media / social networks, rather than trial by criminal court (the right place where such claims should result, regardless).
Exiles Draft
Recruits: Hyperion, Ultimate Hulk, Ultimate Nick Fury, Lady Spider, Earth X Captain America

Nu-D

Post by Nu-D » 15 Nov 2017, 14:28

Blackcyclops wrote:
15 Nov 2017, 04:08
Nu-D wrote:
15 Nov 2017, 02:04
Well depending on if the tax bill passes, that smile might be alil smaller lol
So, it kind of depends. If we lose the mortgage interest deduction, but they increase the standard deduction like they’re proposing, then I think it will make our lives easier, and probably amount to a tax cut for us. Even when you add other available deductions that we might take, (state property tax, student loan interest), we’re probably just in the neighborhood of the standard deduction as it it right now. An increased standard deduction will make it a lot easier and probably amount to a cut.

If they leave the standard deduction where it is, and eliminate the mortgage interest deduction, then we might lose a small benefit or it might make no difference.

Blackcyclops

Post by Blackcyclops » 15 Nov 2017, 14:49

Yeah but they’re talking of getting rid of the SALT deductions and jiggering with the student loan stuff too...btw: I love talking taxes!

My X-Men Draft Picks:

tokenBG1009

Post by tokenBG1009 » 15 Nov 2017, 15:05

Congratulations on buying a home, Nu-D!

Nu-D

Post by Nu-D » 15 Nov 2017, 15:23

Blackcyclops wrote:
15 Nov 2017, 14:49
Yeah but they’re talking of getting rid of the SALT deductions and jiggering with the student loan stuff too...btw: I love talking taxes!
As a preliminary matter, I’m not anxious to have my tax bill reduced at the expense of domestic spending programs. I’m willing to pay my share for education, infrastructure and poverty alleviation. I don’t want a “tax cut” so much as I want better spending priorities. I do believe our tax system has a lot of perverse incentives that need fixing, and I also believe it is not progressive enough. I am concerned about growing debt but the solution I would like to see is restoring a progressive tax code, limiting defense spending, and not cutting domestic spending.

Putting aside policy questions, I still think the new tax plan will amount to a tax cut for us. We have never itemized because the sum of all our available deductions has always been less than the standard deduction. I think that even with the new mortgage payments, we’ll still be very close to the old standard deduction. We might be a little over it, in case we’d itemize, or a little under in which cas we would not. If they eliminate any applicable deductions, we’d just take the standard and pay a little more.

But if they really do increase the standard deduction, it’s almost certainly going to far exceed any list of itemizable deductions we might otherwise have had.

Odds are, in our case, we’ll either get a cut, or a very, very small increase (in the case of eliminating itemizable deductions but not raising the standard).

Anna Raven

Post by Anna Raven » 15 Nov 2017, 15:34

Nu-D wrote:
15 Nov 2017, 15:23
Blackcyclops wrote:
15 Nov 2017, 14:49
As a preliminary matter, I’m not anxious to have my tax bill reduced at the expense of domestic spending programs. I’m willing to pay my share for education, infrastructure and poverty alleviation. I don’t want a “tax cut” so much as I want better spending priorities. I do believe our tax system has a lot of perverse incentives that need fixing, and I also believe it is not progressive enough. I am concerned about growing debt but the solution I would like to see is restoring a progressive tax code, limiting defense spending, and not cutting domestic spending.
More importantly, I want billionaires and mega-corps to pay there fair share. Trickle down doesn't work. And these guy are already dodging the taxes currently on the books with shell companies and off shore accounts and declaring losses. Start paying the taxes you have now, then maybe I'd be willing to have a talk about tax reform for the wealthy (although probably not tbh).
X-Men 1872: Rogue|Deadpool|Old Man Logan|Moonstar|San Francisco(HQ)|Thunderbird I|Cecilia Reyes|Stacy X|Lady Deathstrike|Mariko Yashida|Scorpion Boy

Exiles: Nocturne|Ultimate Thor|1602 Matthew Murdoch|Kurt Waggoner|Colossus (BotA)|BB-8

Cable

Post by Cable » 16 Nov 2017, 15:15

I don't understand why Marvel isn't more open with their fans as to why they make certain business decisions. Like I just read that Marvel's contract with Fox requires them to pay Fox a portion of sales from every Fantastic Four comic sold. I have never heard this before now and that is because I don't think Marvel has ever disclosed it. This makes the reasoning behind cancelling FF comics way more understandable. So why don't they just come right out and say so? Instead they hem and haw and give excuses as to why they manage their books in a certain way and just make their fans angry. Just tell us what these rights agreements say. People will still complain but at least we will understand more.
Rank your favorite characters in the X-Men Character Sorter! Share your results!

"If life were a picnic, you'd be a family. Since life is war, you're soldiers. You'd do well to start accepting that fact."--Nathan Summers

Anna Raven

Post by Anna Raven » 16 Nov 2017, 15:20

Source on that FF news Cable?
X-Men 1872: Rogue|Deadpool|Old Man Logan|Moonstar|San Francisco(HQ)|Thunderbird I|Cecilia Reyes|Stacy X|Lady Deathstrike|Mariko Yashida|Scorpion Boy

Exiles: Nocturne|Ultimate Thor|1602 Matthew Murdoch|Kurt Waggoner|Colossus (BotA)|BB-8

tokenBG1009

Post by tokenBG1009 » 16 Nov 2017, 16:42

There's probably language in the contracts that Marvel couldn't cancel F4 explicitly for that reason. If it got out that Marvel had to pay for each F4 book sold then any cancelation of the book is super suspicious. Especially if the title is doing well.

Anna Raven

Post by Anna Raven » 16 Nov 2017, 16:53

Except that they did cancel it, so there must not have been that language?

Spectral Knight

Post by Spectral Knight » 16 Nov 2017, 17:03

Not for certain, the contract may forbid cancelling for explicitly that reason. If they cancelled it with the justification that it wasn't selling, if they were going with a different direction etc they may be protected.

However, more likely is that the contract is suspect to NDAs, it benefits both companies not to reveal this (if it were true) - Marvel appear tied to Fox, Fox appear like leeches capitalising off profits which may have nowt do with their films.
Exiles Draft
Recruits: Hyperion, Ultimate Hulk, Ultimate Nick Fury, Lady Spider, Earth X Captain America