Welcome to unstablemolecules.com, the discussion home for mightyavengers.net, uncanon.com and uncannyxmen.net!

X-Men Playlists

Level 03: Titles from other publishers, comic books in general and anything comic-related that doesn't fit into any of the other forums.
Anna Raven

Re: X-Men Playlists

Post by Anna Raven » 18 Jun 2017, 01:24

This thread started making me super nostalgic for N'Awlins and all the great music on Bourbon Street. I whipped up a Cajun Fiddle/Jazz/Blues/Rock playlist that I think would serve well as a Gambit soundtrack if the movie ever gets out of development hell.

Here's the Spotify link if anyone is interested.

https://open.spotify.com/user/ronaldpow ... O9eLHI9pIm
Editorial Draft Results: Rogue | Magneto | Mystique | Sabretooth | Madelyn Prior | Lady Deathstrike | Blink | Peggy Carter | Vanisher | Dead Girl | Jimmy Hudson | Wither | Guardian

Wings

Post by Wings » 24 Jun 2017, 20:35

I particularly love the last selection for that Gambit mix, Anna :D
Sign-ups for Betrayal Game 76: Murder in Manhattan now open! Help Jessica Jones solve the unexplained murder of a group of super-villains! Link to the thread here:
viewtopic.php?f=24&p=169031#p169031

Anna Raven

Post by Anna Raven » 25 Jun 2017, 10:43

Hehe, yup me too!
Editorial Draft Results: Rogue | Magneto | Mystique | Sabretooth | Madelyn Prior | Lady Deathstrike | Blink | Peggy Carter | Vanisher | Dead Girl | Jimmy Hudson | Wither | Guardian

unused_bagels

Post by unused_bagels » 12 Jul 2017, 02:40

Cable wrote:
17 Jun 2017, 13:59
Titanium by David Guetta for Emma Frost (considering her diamond form)
Wouldn't that be better for someone like Colossus, who has metal skin? Emma needs Diamonds are a Girl's Best Friend.

I think the song for Phoenix should be O Fortuna
Eighty percent of the time, it works every time.

Nu-D

Post by Nu-D » 10 Jul 2018, 11:22

manuel_mc89 wrote:
14 Jun 2017, 16:21
Kylie Minogue is Dazzler, Dazzler is Kylie Minogue.
I always thought Dazzler was Johnette Napolitano.

https://youtu.be/yOBPAwCCDEE

Or maybe Debbie Harry:

https://youtu.be/VoOG7LEyUJ0

das_boot

Post by das_boot » 16 Jul 2018, 22:06

I feel like “The Phoenix” by Fall Out Boy kind of fits Rachel, lyrically as well as the title... but could also work well for Quentin...

I feel like Chamber would literally only listen to stuff like The Cure or weird EDM/rock like IAMX.

Rogue’s hardcore country/southern rock.

I actually think that maybe Dazzler would have the most eclectic taste in music. She’d have to draw influenced from so many different genres to stay relevant. We’ve already seen her go from disco to pop to dance music to whatever the weird pink-haired phase was, to jumping around genres in that title she was jumping dimensions in.

I actually bet Colossus has the weirdest taste in music. I reckon he probably favours 80’s synth pop.
Marvel Fantasy League Team: Laura Kinney, James Howlett, Domino, Luke Cage, Magik, Black Bolt, Sentry, Dazzler, Nick Fury, Dazzler, Hawkeye (not the Hawkguy)

RingOtaku

Post by RingOtaku » 18 Jul 2018, 20:58

unused_bagels wrote:
12 Jul 2017, 02:40
Cable wrote:
17 Jun 2017, 13:59
Titanium by David Guetta for Emma Frost (considering her diamond form)
Wouldn't that be better for someone like Colossus, who has metal skin? Emma needs Diamonds are a Girl's Best Friend.

I think the song for Phoenix should be O Fortuna
I picture O Fortuna for Magneto. Epic, Classic, and with a sense of "choose poorly and you stop existing" dread. Something he would listen by the fireplace as he plans his next move and convinces himself it's the best choice. It's his self-hype piece.
D20 Roulette: A Podcast of Geeks and Raging. https://rouletteproductions.com

Nu-D

Post by Nu-D » 19 Jul 2018, 13:02

das_boot wrote:
16 Jul 2018, 22:06
I feel like “The Phoenix” by Fall Out Boy kind of fits Rachel, lyrically as well as the title... but could also work well for Quentin...

I feel like Chamber would literally only listen to stuff like The Cure or weird EDM/rock like IAMX.

Rogue’s hardcore country/southern rock.

I actually think that maybe Dazzler would have the most eclectic taste in music. She’d have to draw influenced from so many different genres to stay relevant. We’ve already seen her go from disco to pop to dance music to whatever the weird pink-haired phase was, to jumping around genres in that title she was jumping dimensions in.

I actually bet Colossus has the weirdest taste in music. I reckon he probably favours 80’s synth pop.

Peter’s definitely a Joy Division/New Order kind of guy. Something arty, impenetrable and modernist.

In her youth, Rogue must have been a punk rock fan, classic stuff from the Stooges to Sex Pistols. These days she’s mellowed, embraced her southern roots, and prefers a range from Alison Krause to Merle Haggard.

Kurt is a U2 aficionado. Clean, energetic, soaring and spiritual. Likes the classics.

Kitty bores everyone to tears with her James Taylor and Joni Mitchell albums.

Logan’s a Johnny Cash kinda guy, but when nobody’s around he listens to Chet Atkins and Les Paul/Mary Ford. Even a little Everly Brothers. Logan and Rogue’s tastes overlap enough that they’re the two most musically compatible.

Scott’s never outgrown his hair metal days. He rarely listens to music because his taste is so undeveloped. But on the rare occasion that he does, it’s Twisted Sister, Queensryche, Journey, Van Halen, Aerosmith, Guns n Roses and Boston. Maybe Rush. He just can’t get in to Led Zeppelin AC/DC or Black Sabbath, though. Too unpolished and raw.

Jean Grey likes jazz standards and broadway musicals. Gershwin to Andrew Lloyd Weber.

Rachel doesn’t listen to music because her formative years were spent in a concentration camp. She tends to like 90’s garbage like Oasis and Green Day, but really doesn’t care that much.

Storm likes spirituals and gospel, but also classic R&B and Jazz. Odetta, Nina Simone, Tina Turner, BB King, Howlin’ Wolf, Sarah Vaughn. Stuff that speaks to your gut and your heart, not so much to your head. But when she’s feeling playful, she’s also up for anything with a serious beat.

Before she was a ninja, Betsy was an Elton John, David Bowie, Billy Joel kinda gal. These days, if she told you she’d have to kill you.

Longshot likes They Might Be Giants.

Havok likes similar music to Scott, but more discerning. He disdains Twisted Sister and Queensryche, and prefers AC/DC and Sabbath. His tastes reach into some of the deep metal roots like Deep Purple, Blind Faith, and stretch all the way up into grunge with Soundgarden. And in fact, he’s a pretty big fan of Clapton, Jeff Beck and the other blues guitarists of that era.

Hank listens to classical music.

Bobby and Warren like The Beach Boys and Steve Miller Band, bland college rock from the sisxties and seventies. Warren secretly likes disco, but he pretends to listen to John Coltrane on vinyl. Bobby tries really hard to like whatever is most popular with the kids these days, but is perpetually three years behind. OutKast! Lady Gaga!

Alison, of course, has the broadest appreciation for good music. But at her heart she’s a blues rocker. Her passion is in punk, new wave and 80’s college rock. Basically, anything that rocks from 1976 to 1989, and the music that built into that era, like the Stones and Velvet Underground. She’s turned off by the over the top performative aspects of prog and metal.

Geez, it’s clear from this post that I haven’t progressed past 1989 in music or in my views of the X-Men.
Last edited by Nu-D on 19 Jul 2018, 14:07, edited 3 times in total.

EphemeristX

Post by EphemeristX » 19 Jul 2018, 13:44

Betsy totally listens to punk and new wave.
http://dancehall-daze.tumblr.com

"Take your baby by the ears
And play upon her darkest fears"

Cable

Post by Cable » 19 Jul 2018, 14:07

Nu-D wrote:
19 Jul 2018, 13:02

Storm likes spirituals and gospel, but also classic R&B and Jazz. Odetta, Nina Simone, BB King, Howlin’ Wolf, Sarah Vaughn. Stuff that speaks to your gut and your heart, not so much to your head. But when she’s feeling playful, she’s also up for anything with a serious beat.
I have seen others suggest similar (on the previous page jazz was suggested for Storm), but how does that square with this

Rank your favorite characters in the X-Men Character Sorter! Share your results!

"If life were a picnic, you'd be a family. Since life is war, you're soldiers. You'd do well to start accepting that fact."--Nathan Summers

Nu-D

Post by Nu-D » 19 Jul 2018, 14:11

Cable wrote:
19 Jul 2018, 14:07
Nu-D wrote:
19 Jul 2018, 13:02

Storm likes spirituals and gospel, but also classic R&B and Jazz. Odetta, Nina Simone, BB King, Howlin’ Wolf, Sarah Vaughn. Stuff that speaks to your gut and your heart, not so much to your head. But when she’s feeling playful, she’s also up for anything with a serious beat.
I have seen others suggest similar (on the previous page jazz was suggested for Storm), but how does that square with this

It’s a pretty short step from Willie Dixon and Howlin’ Wolf to VU and the Sex Pistols. Storm’s punk phase was pretty short lived anyhow. From time to time she’ll indulge, but that hasn’t been her go-to for most of her life.

Of the 30 or so bands and genres I listed above, I probably listen to 85% of them. Some are my go-to music taste (Stones, Clapton) and some just represent an occasional mood (Gershwin, Sarah Vaughn, Howlin’ Wolf). Some were a phase I like to revisit from time to time (Joy Division, Soundgarden). For Storm, punk music is a phase that she revisits from time to time.

das_boot

Post by das_boot » 19 Jul 2018, 14:21

Nu-D, I’m going to have to call you out on proclaiming 90’s Green Day as garbage. 90’s Green Day is the BEST Green Day, and 00’s Green Day is garbage (I joke, everyone’s allowed their preferences).

I could totally see Beast switching out from Classical when he’s concentrating on something academic, to some total 70’s rock when he’s building stuff.

I also think Forge would listen to anything psychedelic when he’s working
Marvel Fantasy League Team: Laura Kinney, James Howlett, Domino, Luke Cage, Magik, Black Bolt, Sentry, Dazzler, Nick Fury, Dazzler, Hawkeye (not the Hawkguy)

Anna Raven

Post by Anna Raven » 19 Jul 2018, 15:07

Slight tangent here.

I was discussing Green Day with a friend of mine the other day, on how it was weird it was that they survived to be such a popular rock band when the grunge bands of the 90's were all dying out.

I think some of it was just that, the musicians in those bands were literally dying ie. Kurt Cobain, Layne Staley, Shannon Hoon, etc. But also, they were unique in that they were still kind of gen-X and emo, but their sound was more tightly produced, punk sounding, and that became the predominant rock style in the 2000's.

Still why were they the ones to flourish instead of say The Offspring I wonder. And if it was just that they had anti-establishment, anti-Bush lenaings, why wasn't it Rage Against the Machine? Kind of a perfect storm of factors I guess.

Nu-D

Post by Nu-D » 19 Jul 2018, 15:22

das_boot wrote:
19 Jul 2018, 14:21
Nu-D, I’m going to have to call you out on proclaiming 90’s Green Day as garbage. 90’s Green Day is the BEST Green Day, and 00’s Green Day is garbage (I joke, everyone’s allowed their preferences).
All ‘90’s music is garbage, IMHO. ;)

The only worse decade for popular music we’re the aughts. And if I knew any music from the aughts, I might think it was better than the 1990s.

Anna Raven

Post by Anna Raven » 19 Jul 2018, 15:26

Nu-D wrote:
19 Jul 2018, 15:22
das_boot wrote:
19 Jul 2018, 14:21
All ‘90’s music is garbage, IMHO. ;)

The only worse decade for popular music we’re the aughts. And if I knew any music from the aughts, I might think it was better than the 1990s.
Boy, I could not disagree more haha. I feel like we are currently living in the worst decade for music. :P But I am willing to accept that that may just be because I am getting old and crotchety. :lol:

Nu-D

Post by Nu-D » 19 Jul 2018, 15:51

I’m no apologist for the 2010s, but there have been some highlights, and some modest improvements over the aughts. The crappy pop of the aughts—Spears, Aguilera, Clarkson—has given way to some so-so pop like Sia and a few others. And there’s been a renaissance in the country/roots/folk rock with bands like the Lumineers and Sarah Jarosz, though that can be traced back to the aughts too, I suppose with Crooked Still and a few others.

Anna Raven

Post by Anna Raven » 19 Jul 2018, 16:18

I started out liking some of the folky rock bands like Mumford early on, but its devolved into nothing but the same routine of "kick drum plus someone yelling 'hey' 'ho' in the background, and a guy who only knows one banjo riff." To the point I cannot stand it anymore, thus I cannot comment on Lumineers except to say they are one of those bands.

And then don't get me started on the Imagine Dragons, Twenty-One Pilots, Cage the Elephants of the world. I swear I would take Nickelback over them any day.

Nu-D

Post by Nu-D » 19 Jul 2018, 16:48

Anna Raven wrote:
19 Jul 2018, 16:18
I started out liking some of the folky rock bands like Mumford early on, but its devolved into nothing but the same routine of "kick drum plus someone yelling 'hey' 'ho' in the background, and a guy who only knows one banjo riff." To the point I cannot stand it anymore, thus I cannot comment on Lumineers except to say they are one of those bands.

And then don't get me started on the Imagine Dragons, Twenty-One Pilots, Cage the Elephants of the world. I swear I would take Nickelback over them any day.
Agree that Mumford’s stuff all sounds the same, and the stuff that’s different from their “sound” is dull. But the Lumineers are substantially better. I don’t know those other bands, but where you wrote Nickelback I’m sure you meant to write Nickel Creek, right?

Anna Raven

Post by Anna Raven » 19 Jul 2018, 16:50

Nu-D wrote:
19 Jul 2018, 16:48
Anna Raven wrote:
19 Jul 2018, 16:18

Agree that Mumford’s stuff all sounds the same, and the stuff that’s different from their “sound” is dull. But the Lumineers are substantially better. I don’t know those other bands, but where you wrote Nickelback I’m sure you meant to write Nickel Creek, right?
I <3 Nickel Creek, but my point is the modern stuff is so bad, it makes me wish I was listening to music that already makes my ears bleed. :P

You've convinced me to dive deeper into Lumineers catalog, because from their radio hits I prefer Mumford. So I'm gonna give them a shot.

EphemeristX

Post by EphemeristX » 19 Jul 2018, 19:44

Dude. 90s alternative ruled. From certain standpoints, it wasn't the most exciting time period, but if you were into grunge, rock, or alternative, there was some truly great stuff. This was Nirvana and Lilith Fair and all that goodness. It was honestly the last real gasp of good rock before screamo and rap-rock ground creativity into the dust. Don't hate! Also, early 90s is a real renaissance timeperiod in r&b and rap.

The late 00s/early 10s was a really exciting time for dance and hall music. Nowadays, most of the exciting stuff is happening in hiphop. It's all cyclical.
http://dancehall-daze.tumblr.com

"Take your baby by the ears
And play upon her darkest fears"

das_boot

Post by das_boot » 19 Jul 2018, 20:16

Also, if we’re talking country— 100% Kesha’s latest album.

I also really enjoy the 80’s influence that’s seeing a resurgence HOWEVER, this is getting wildly off topic ha ha ha

If we’re talking nu-metal you can guarantee that’s ALL Adam-X listens to though...