Welcome to unstablemolecules.com, the discussion home for mightyavengers.net, uncanon.com and uncannyxmen.net!

X-Men Playlists

Level 03: Titles from other publishers, comic books in general and anything comic-related that doesn't fit into any of the other forums.
Wings

X-Men Playlists

Post by Wings » 13 Jun 2017, 22:38

So as I mentioned in Random Thoughts, I've been thinking about putting together playlists for each individual X-Man (and the ancillary and student teams if I get that far with it), based around their powers, storylines, love interests etc Basically stuff that would evoke and speak to who that character is in some way. Right now, I'm thinking I'll begin with the original team of Cyclops, Jean Grey, Iceman, Angel and Beast, but feel free to suggest tracks for any X-Man that crosses your mind, I'll file all the suggestions away for future use :)
Sign-ups for Betrayal Game 76: Murder in Manhattan now open! Help Jessica Jones solve the unexplained murder of a group of super-villains! Link to the thread here:
viewtopic.php?f=24&p=169031#p169031

Blackcyclops

Re: X-Men Playlists

Post by Blackcyclops » 14 Jun 2017, 01:29

I think it'd be interesting to frame the playlist as though the X-Men are making them contemporaneously or at least situated near their peers.

So like I believe that Jubilee (if we assume she's like 21-19 now and given her upbringing and taste) would definitely listen to modern RnB and prolly like some Drake (I'd say "Passionfruit") and probably some classic west coast rap.

Chamber definitely likes Radiohead lol
I'm Team Remender, Waid, Hickman and Gillen

My X-Men Draft Picks:
Prof. X, Legion, Polaris, Quicksilver, Meggan, Deadpool, Pixie, and Danger

EphemeristX

Post by EphemeristX » 14 Jun 2017, 05:06

If you're just doing the O5 right now, I'll keep my suggestions brief. I have tons of them. I'll repost the ones from the other post too.

Professor X
All Along the Watchtower/Jimi Hendrix -a song about the dead coming home from war is especially pertinent for a man who trains child soldiers
A Change is Gonna Come/Sam Cooke - a Civil Rights era ballad about, well, change, fits right in with his mantra

Cyclops
Darkness on the Edge of Town/Bruce Springsteen - a man who's had his dreams trampled longs for childhood's freedom from responsibility
Something on Your Mind / Karen Dalton - a song for moody teen 'Clops
Life During Wartime / The Talking Heads - a person stuck in a fight or flight mentality and can't escape it

Jean Grey
Crimson and Clover / Tommy James and the Shondells - the trippy reverb vocals of the bridge fit well with her creation period even though I love the Joan Jett version
These Boots are Made for Walkin' / Nancy Sinatra - because of those iconic gogo boots
American Girl / Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers - the inevitable loss of innocence (or the lack of innocence in the first place)

Beast
Weird Science / Oingo Boingo - weird and funny and an obvious choice
Supernature / Cerrone - a song about the ills of scientific progress and a funky dance track to boot

Iceman
Boys Don't Cry / The Cure - nowadays a cultural touchstone for the LGBT youth
Disorder / Joy Division - one of the ultimate songs about wanting to be normal while always being on the outside

Angel
Eight Miles High / The Byrds
Mr. Blue Sky / ELO
We Could Be Heroes / David Bowie - everybody forgets that Angel was the only original who became a hero before Xavier

And here are a couple for the other 60s recruits:

Havok
Search and Destroy / The Stooges
Blitzkrieg Bop / The Ramones
Eve of Destruction / The Turtles
September Gurls / Big Star - about his relationship with Lorna

Polaris
She's Not There / The Zombies
Oh Father / Madonna
Shine On, You Crazy Diamond / Pink Floyd
http://dancehall-daze.tumblr.com

"Take your baby by the ears
And play upon her darkest fears"

RingOtaku

Post by RingOtaku » 14 Jun 2017, 14:09

It makes me smile to think of Gambit and his shameless flirting rocking out to "Sexy and I know it" by LMFAO. Preferably in his room right after a shower when he's still half-dressed.
D20 Roulette: A Podcast of Geeks and Raging. https://rouletteproductions.com

manuel_mc89

Post by manuel_mc89 » 14 Jun 2017, 16:21

Kylie Minogue is Dazzler, Dazzler is Kylie Minogue.
Legion: I will circle around you until the stars die an the world has forgotten what makes us different, and I will shatter any future that dares to divide us.

Gremlin

Post by Gremlin » 14 Jun 2017, 16:28

I always think of Wolfsbane when I hear Howl by Florence and the Machine.

Iceman - Dancing on my own by Robyn (and the equally good cover by Calum Scott) - It's about someone who sees their ex has moved on and they are still lovestruck. I always think of that period when Iceman was hung up on Polaris but she only had eyes for Havok.

Northstar - Flux by Bloc Party - it's a fast, crazy song but it always makes me think of someone running at superspeed

Phoenix - Handlebars by Flobots. What starts as a simple song grow and grows until they "end the planet in a holocaust"
Everybody is entitled you their opinion...but yours is wrong.

Phoenixx9

Post by Phoenixx9 » 14 Jun 2017, 17:36

Jean Grey/Phoenix: Jean by Oliver. I always thought that fit well.

Cable

Post by Cable » 14 Jun 2017, 18:28

Phoenix by Wolfmother
Rank your favorite characters in the X-Men Character Sorter! Share your results!

"If life were a picnic, you'd be a family. Since life is war, you're soldiers. You'd do well to start accepting that fact."--Nathan Summers

Anna Raven

Post by Anna Raven » 14 Jun 2017, 22:58

A few years before Wolverine and the X-Men animated show came out, someone leaked an internal trailer that had Foo Fighters "The Best of You" as the soundtrack to the show. Foo Fighters got mad because they never authorized its use, which is totally fair, but ever since then I've thought of that as the unofficial anthem of the X-Men. There Goes My Hero is another good one.

Generally when I want to get an X-Men vibe I just listen to the film scores. But this is a fun idea still.

Here are some other ideas:

Gambit: In Ultimate X-Men Gambit was a big fan of Alison Krauss, but I picture 616 Gambit being a little less into Alt-Bluegrass and more into traditional New Orleans Jazz, Zydeco, and Cajun music. He definitely loves a good fiddle tune in any case.
-Diggy Diggy Lo - Doug Kershaw
-Sweet Jole Blon - Doug Kershaw/Mark O'Connor
-Zydeco La Louisianne - Buckwheat Zydeco
-When The Saints Go Marchin' In - The Preservation Hall Jazz Band

Storm: -Fire and the Flood - Vance Joy
-Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones
-Rock You Like a Hurricane - Scorpions
-Purple Rain - Prince

Wolverine: I think Wolverine is all about classic country/rock. The type of stuff that would be on a jukebox in a beer joint in the Far Western US and Canada in the 60's and 70's.
-There's a Tear in My Beer - Hank Williams
-I Fall to Pieces - Patsy Cline
-Dion - The Wanderer
-Pancho and Lefty - Willie Nelson
-Okie from Muskogee - Merle Haggard
-I've Been Everywhere - Johnny Cash

Deadpool: We all know he loves George Michael and Salt N Pepa so it's pretty easy to extrapolate some of his other favorite hits.
-Can't Fight This Feeling - REO Speedwagon
-Your Love - The Outfield
-Everybody Dance Now - C+C Music Factory
-Take on Me - A-ha
-Faith - George Michael

I'll have to think a little more on other characters. Those just seemed like the ones where I have a good handle on their musical tastes.
Editorial Draft Results: Rogue | Magneto | Mystique | Sabretooth | Madelyn Prior | Lady Deathstrike | Blink | Peggy Carter | Vanisher | Dead Girl | Jimmy Hudson | Wither | Guardian

Cable

Post by Cable » 15 Jun 2017, 16:33

Some various other X-Men:

Firework by Katy Perry is an easy one for Jubilee.

Simple Kind of Man by Lynyrd Skynyrd for Cannonball. I could totally see Mama Guthrie saying this to him (other than a reference to being the only son, though he is the oldest correct?)

Born on the Bayou by Creedence Clearwater Revival is obvious for Gambit. I think Ace of Spades by Motorhead fits him really well too.

Wherever I May Roam by Metallica for Wolverine. Especially in his earlier ronin years

Going in Blind by POD is a great one for Nightcrawler I think. It is about trying to return to God through the struggles of Christian doubt

Dark Days by Parkway Drive for Bishop. This song is a cautionary call about the coming destruction of society if action isn't taken now

Black Vatican by Throwdown for Magik. My first instinct was Wolfsbane, but I think this song thematically fits Magik and anxiety over her Darkchylde persona much better. The song is about telling others to stay away because there is a bestial change inside of you that you can't deny
Rank your favorite characters in the X-Men Character Sorter! Share your results!

"If life were a picnic, you'd be a family. Since life is war, you're soldiers. You'd do well to start accepting that fact."--Nathan Summers

Blackcyclops

Post by Blackcyclops » 15 Jun 2017, 17:31

@Anna: Storm is the most difficult for me because outside of maybe classical music it's hard for me to pin down where a modern Storm would find herself culturally in music. Your Logan pick is spot on. I feel like Quire would only listen to alt-music that is super subversive and underground. While Pixie mixes some sugary pop with some classicWelsh ballads, to fit her dual aspects.

My X-Men Draft Picks:

Anna Raven

Post by Anna Raven » 15 Jun 2017, 18:00

With Storm I was just making weather puns. :P
Editorial Draft Results: Rogue | Magneto | Mystique | Sabretooth | Madelyn Prior | Lady Deathstrike | Blink | Peggy Carter | Vanisher | Dead Girl | Jimmy Hudson | Wither | Guardian

InsipidLust

Post by InsipidLust » 15 Jun 2017, 18:03

Storm
"Don't Wish Me Well" by Solange
"Pearls" by Sade
"Soldier of Love" Sade

SORRY BUT A STORM PLAYLIST REQUIRES SADE IN MY BOOK.

Monet St. Croix
"1991" by Azealia Banks
"Versace Hottie" by Princess Nokia
"Primadonna" by Marina and the Diamonds

Emma Frost
"Four Seasons: Winter" by Vivaldi
"Gold Dust Woman" by Fleetwood Mac (I always think of "Rulers make bad lovers" and "take your silver spoon and dig your grave")
"Money, Power, Glory"/"F*cked My Way Up to the Top" by Lana Del Rey
Last edited by InsipidLust on 15 Jun 2017, 21:19, edited 1 time in total.
Unity Squad Draft: Monet St. Croix. Mr. Fantastic. Professor Xavier. Doctor Voodoo. Tempus.

Cable

Post by Cable » 15 Jun 2017, 18:43

Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap by AC/DC is great for Deadpool

TNT by AC/DC might work for Havok

Tick tick Boom by the Hives for Boom-Boom

Monster by Jacob Banks for Wolverine (actually perfect for Old Man Logan)

EphemeristX

Post by EphemeristX » 15 Jun 2017, 19:26

Boom-Boom
Cherry Bomb/Runaways
Bubblegum Bitch/Marina and the Diamonds

Storm
Africa/Toto

Thunderbird/Warpath
Fortunate Son/CCR

Blackcyclops

Post by Blackcyclops » 15 Jun 2017, 20:23

InsipidLust wrote:
15 Jun 2017, 18:03
Storm
"Don't Wish Me Well" by Solange
"Pearls" by Sade
"Soldier of Love" Sade

SORRY BUT A STORM PLAYLIST REQUIRES SADE IN MY BOOK.

Monet St. Croix
"1991" by Azealia Banks
"Versace Hottie" by Princess Nokia
"Primadonna" by Marina and the Diamonds

Emma Frost
"Four Seasons: Winter" by Vivaldi
"Gold Dust Woman" by Fleetwood Mac
"Money, Power, Glory"/"F*cked My Way Up to the Top" by Lana Del Rey
Great picks for Storm...given her parents history, Sade and jazz would totally be her taste.

I can imagine Emma liking Lana del Rey too...

My X-Men Draft Picks:

Quick and Dead

Post by Quick and Dead » 16 Jun 2017, 03:03

Kitty definitely listens to Taylor Swift and uses her music to get through her many breakups.
Check out my comic reviews and articles! http://www.comicosity.com/author/anthonyblackwood/

Around The Fur

Post by Around The Fur » 16 Jun 2017, 15:53

This topic is intriguing in the sense that it implores a great deal of examination of the personal tastes of our favorite characters. I think some decent suggestions have been pontificated about but nobody has tried to narrow down hard aspects of these characters regarding their overall makeup. There is also the fact that considering their time together- there exists possible crossover between tastes and influence. Furthermore, the sliding timescale, time in other counties and trips to other worlds/galaxies should be taken into consideration.

Also, I can't see the majority of X-men getting getting deep into genres such as rap or metal. Tropes in both genres directly contradict anything the X-Men believe or fight for.

The 3 X-Men that I believe would have the most diverse of music choices are Storm, Professor X and Wolverine. Those three are so problematic that I can't pinpoint a singular musical style.
Avengers Draft Team- Iron Man, Mr. Fantastic, Silver Surfer, Ex Nihilo, Beta Ray Bill, Man-Thing, Nightmask, The Unseen and US Agent as The Brotherhood of the Shield!

Theme songs- "Hey! Get out of my way" by The Cardigans.

Cable

Post by Cable » 16 Jun 2017, 18:31

I was doing what the topic creator asked, which is songs that are thematic to elements of the characters. Trying to actually guess what the characters listen to is in my opinion impossible, at least not without a great deal of stereotyping and/or self-projection.

So Cold by Breaking Benjamin could work for Iceman.

Flight of Icarus by Iron Maiden I think works for Angel, especially considering his descent into Archangel.

Anna Raven

Post by Anna Raven » 16 Jun 2017, 19:08

Cable wrote:
16 Jun 2017, 18:31
I was doing what the topic creator asked, which is songs that are thematic to elements of the characters. Trying to actually guess what the characters listen to is in my opinion impossible, at least not without a great deal of stereotyping and/or self-projection.

So Cold by Breaking Benjamin could work for Iceman.

Flight of Icarus by Iron Maiden I think works for Angel, especially considering his descent into Archangel.
Except that the creators have given us context clues and outright used music in the comics and movies to help us know their tastes. Another example is She Hulk - who got Shake It Off stuck in her head once.

Blackcyclops

Post by Blackcyclops » 16 Jun 2017, 19:52

Or Noh-Var and his love for '60s music lol

My X-Men Draft Picks:

EphemeristX

Post by EphemeristX » 16 Jun 2017, 23:08

There are two ways to approach this list: biographical and musical taste. It's interesting to see where everyone lands.

Banshee - The Wind Cries Mary/Jimi Hendrix
Magik - Season of the Witch/Donovan
Wolfsbane - The Wolves (Act I and II)/Bon Iver
Nightcrawler - Hallelujah/Jeff Buckley
Kitty Pryde - Thirteen/Big Star, Translatlanticism/Death Cab for Cutie (her relationship with Quill)
X-23/Breathe Me/Sia
Dazzler - Disco Down/Kylie Minogue, Blinded By the Light/Manfred Man
Emma Frost - Diamond Dogs/Beck, Material Girl/Madonna, Venus in Furs/Velvet Underground

InsipidLust

Post by InsipidLust » 16 Jun 2017, 23:54

I have no doubt that at least a couple of X-Men enjoy rap music, and am equally confident that there are metal fans among them as well. Probably plenty of emo music, too (ROLLS EYES AT RACHEL GREY AND CHAMBER).

But, yeah, I was mainly thinking of thematic selections (although I can imagine the characters I chose would listen to my picks with, perhaps, the exception of Emma Frost).
Unity Squad Draft: Monet St. Croix. Mr. Fantastic. Professor Xavier. Doctor Voodoo. Tempus.

Cable

Post by Cable » 17 Jun 2017, 13:56

Invincible by Adelita's Way and/or Indestructible by Disturbed possibly for Colossus. Certainly the elements of invulnerability, although they also involve language of violence probably stronger than Piotr would use

Cable

Post by Cable » 17 Jun 2017, 13:59

Titanium by David Guetta for Emma Frost (considering her diamond form)