Welcome to unstablemolecules.com, the discussion home for mightyavengers.net, uncanon.com and uncannyxmen.net!

Comics Sites and Think Pieces

Level 03: Titles from other publishers, comic books in general and anything comic-related that doesn't fit into any of the other forums.
AntiBody

Comics Sites and Think Pieces

Post by AntiBody » 01 May 2017, 23:21

Where do you guys go to get your comics news and to read articles and think-pieces about comics? I cycle through the usuals almost daily: CBR, Newsarama, IGN (mostly about video games but still), and Bleeding Cool. I'm looking to branch out.

I'm especially looking for sites that do longer think-pieces about comics. Like, not just reviews of current issues/trades, or even news per se. I would really love a site that analyzes stories, arcs, writers styles, or anything else on a layered, intellectual level. To give an example, I've been scouring the internet for articles about Secret Wars that examine the story and its preceding epic (Everything Dies/Time Runs Out) on a level deeper than just reviews and opinions. I'm not looking for another forum - lots of us do that here (and I love it!!) but well thought-out, well written articles and pieces about grander themes and ideas.

Any suggestions?
Guardians Of The Galaxy Draft: Nova (Richard Rider), Quasar (Wendell Vaughn), Moondragon, Darkhawk, Plutonia, Hiroim, Ikon, Malik Tarcel, Manta
Nemeses: The Fraternity of Raptors

Cable

Re: Comics Sites and Think Pieces

Post by Cable » 01 May 2017, 23:28

I would like to hear this too. And to add I would be interested if anyone knows anywhere that does critical analysis of art technique in new comics. I would like to gain a greater understanding of that side of things but reviews are typically so shallow or vague on it.
Rank your favorite characters in the X-Men Character Sorter! Share your results!

"If life were a picnic, you'd be a family. Since life is war, you're soldiers. You'd do well to start accepting that fact."--Nathan Summers

manuel_mc89

Post by manuel_mc89 » 02 May 2017, 15:57

This blog had some very interesting think pieces about comics, its a shame it stopped:

http://toobusythinkingboutcomics.blogspot.com/
Legion: I will circle around you until the stars die an the world has forgotten what makes us different, and I will shatter any future that dares to divide us.

Cyke

Post by Cyke » 02 May 2017, 18:32

ComicsAlliance used to offer some great articles and opinion pieces with more on the indie side of things than the main news sites usually. They tackled some of the bigger social issues facing comics/comic industry as well (from equal employment of women to gender and sexuality representations in major comics and so on). Sadly, I just recently learned that the site is closing down which is a shame.

I check out CBR more than Newsarama but even these big two have become Hollywood-ized over the years. Their main leads focus more on movies and TV tie-ins and it's become slightly harder to find just articles/opinions on the comics themselves. And please, please, please stop with the Top 15 lists.
Verda Gildr- 'Become Worthy'

Nu-D

Post by Nu-D » 03 May 2017, 15:03

I've always liked Paul O'Brien's reviews at House to Astonish (formerly X-Axis). They're genuine critical reviews, not just the fluff that passes for reviews at CBR. Lately he seems less invested, but that's because xcomics have been pretty mediocre for a while.

Blackcyclops

Post by Blackcyclops » 03 May 2017, 15:05

I think he's looking for more than reviews never been a fan of for anything outside of scholarly works) but kore like what comics alliance did but sadly I don't think anyone else does stuff like that...CBR does still allow Brian (forgot his last name) to do some fun digging in the crates but that's about it...
I'm Team Remender, Waid, Hickman and Gillen

My X-Men Draft Picks:
Prof. X, Legion, Polaris, Quicksilver, Meggan, Deadpool, Pixie, and Danger

Spectral Knight

Post by Spectral Knight » 03 May 2017, 16:09

Many moons ago, I used to enjoy Spidey Kicks Butt for long form analysis of some of Spider-man's past. The site looks like it's pretty much dead now, as no updates for a long time, but it was quite a good site for a thematic look at everyone's favourite wall-crawler and his supporting cast.

I tend to find the big hitters of CBR, Newsarama etc. too wide in scope for my tastes.
MCU Draft
Heroes - Jessica Jones|Rocket|Ghost Rider|Leo Fitz|Sif|Howard Stark|Gert + Old Lace
Villains: Loki|Killgrave|Ego
X-Editorial: Psylocke, Siryn, Fantomex, Warpath, Meggan, Maverick, Toad

manuel_mc89

Post by manuel_mc89 » 03 May 2017, 16:27

I've been cheking out Comics Bulletin and Comicosity, they are alright.
Legion: I will circle around you until the stars die an the world has forgotten what makes us different, and I will shatter any future that dares to divide us.

AntiBody

Post by AntiBody » 03 May 2017, 17:17

These are awesome suggestions, thanks so much everybody!

And if y'all hear about more, or if anyone else knows of any other sites, please let me know!! :D
Guardians Of The Galaxy Draft: Nova (Richard Rider), Quasar (Wendell Vaughn), Moondragon, Darkhawk, Plutonia, Hiroim, Ikon, Malik Tarcel, Manta

Quick and Dead

Post by Quick and Dead » 03 May 2017, 22:56

The site I contribute reviews to, Comicosity, posts a lot of think pieces, especially ones that focus on LGBT and feminist issues.
Check out my comic reviews and articles! http://www.comicosity.com/author/anthonyblackwood/

AntiBody

Post by AntiBody » 04 May 2017, 23:46

Thanks QaD, I was checking it out today. Great site, I love it!

Nu-D

Post by Nu-D » 05 May 2017, 01:54

Blackcyclops wrote:
03 May 2017, 15:05
I think he's looking for more than reviews never been a fan of for anything outside of scholarly works) but kore like what comics alliance did but sadly I don't think anyone else does stuff like that...CBR does still allow Brian (forgot his last name) to do some fun digging in the crates but that's about it...
A good review is a scholarly think piece.

Gibbering Fool

Post by Gibbering Fool » 05 May 2017, 12:25

I've recently discovered www.supermegamonkey.net which provides summaries of older comics with images and details about continuity. It's coming in handy.

Nu-D

Post by Nu-D » 24 May 2017, 12:03

An Atlantic article about the state of the industry, and Marvel specifically:

https://www.theatlantic.com/entertainme ... es/527127/

AntiBody

Post by AntiBody » 24 May 2017, 21:12

That was a great article Nu-D, thanks!!

Nu-D

Post by Nu-D » 25 May 2017, 00:29

AntiBody wrote:
24 May 2017, 21:12
That was a great article Nu-D, thanks!!
Glad you liked it.

Nu-D

Post by Nu-D » 01 Jun 2017, 17:02

A "think piece" about WW and "truth."

https://www.theatlantic.com/entertainme ... ge/528780/

EphemeristX

Post by EphemeristX » 01 Jun 2017, 19:40

I think the article has some interesting things to say about truth and actually taught me a few things I didn't know about WW's creator.
http://dancehall-daze.tumblr.com

"Take your baby by the ears
And play upon her darkest fears"

Anna Raven

Post by Anna Raven » 01 Jun 2017, 21:12

I didn't know the bit about the lie detector, but I knew he was obsessed with bondage. Of course, much like Chris Claremont, it kind of seems like people who have that particular proclivity may be actually a little more open minded than you might originally think.
Editorial Draft Results: Rogue|Magneto|Mystique|Sabretooth|Madelyn Prior|Lady Deathstrike|Blink

EphemeristX

Post by EphemeristX » 01 Jun 2017, 21:27

Well, it's all about giving away power, so I can totally see a man into bondage also being a feminist.
http://dancehall-daze.tumblr.com

"Take your baby by the ears
And play upon her darkest fears"

Nu-D

Post by Nu-D » 01 Jun 2017, 22:47

I don't think it's really accurate to label Marston a "feminist." First of all, there was no feminist movement during his formative years and heyday. Second of all, "feminist" is generally defined as someone who believes in the equality of the sexes. Marston believed women were superior to men. He was obviously uniquely pro-woman, but that's not quite the same as being "feminist."

Something I've always wondered about: there are other sci-fi, pop fiction personalities of the era who had uniquely liberated views on gender, sex and women. Heinlein comes to mind, as does the nutto who wrote Dianetics, L. Ron Hubbard. I can't quite tie all of it together, but it seems like there must have been something in the water at whatever post-war sci-fi conferences these guys were attending.