Welcome to unstablemolecules.com, the discussion home for mightyavengers.net, uncanon.com and uncannyxmen.net!

Comparing Civil War II and Rebirth

Level 03: Titles from other publishers, comic books in general and anything comic-related that doesn't fit into any of the other forums.
AntiBody

Comparing Civil War II and Rebirth

Post by AntiBody » 11 Aug 2016, 15:31

http://www.vulture.com/2016/08/marvel-d ... ar-ii.html

Interesting read! I'd love to know what you all think.
Guardians Of The Galaxy Draft: Nova (Richard Rider), Quasar (Wendell Vaughn), Moondragon, Darkhawk, Plutonia, Hiroim, Ikon, Malik Tarcel, Manta
Nemeses: The Fraternity of Raptors

Juggernaut

Re: Comparing Civil War II and Rebirth

Post by Juggernaut » 11 Aug 2016, 21:23

It is definitely an interesting read but i would say secret wars was marvela attempt at a "soft" reboot. The problem with marvel at rhe moment is while DC is freeing characters and writers marvel is doing the exact opposite, particularly when it comes to the Xmen.

Blackcyclops

Post by Blackcyclops » 11 Aug 2016, 22:15

They aren't? How do you see that? How are you defining "freeing"? Because both companies clearly have limitations on things. But let's not pretend that there aren't genre bending books being published. And even in the middle of an event, writers are still telling their stories (and in alot of cases, without being bogged down by the event). I say to see Scarlet Witch, Vision, Squirrel Girl, Old Man Logan, Power Man & Iron Fist, Black Panther and so on...
I'm Team Remender, Waid, Hickman and Gillen

My X-Men Draft Picks:
Prof. X, Legion, Polaris, Quicksilver, Meggan, Deadpool, Pixie, and Danger

Cyke

Post by Cyke » 14 Aug 2016, 01:32

I'm not sure any comparison between the two events is fair. Their approach and goals are wildly different and as such, both succeed more or less on their own merits.

I can only comment that as a reader, I'm enjoying the various Rebirth titles more so than Civil War II. DC's efforts to inject former elements such as legacy into the Nu52 has re-energized the stories and characters while Marvel continues it's trend of having their heroes fight among themselves leading to more divisions. It's a plot model that has grown tired and stale to me so thankfully, there are other Marvel titles that aren't connected to the event overall that I can enjoy instead.
Verda Gildr- 'Become Worthy'

Cable

Post by Cable » 14 Aug 2016, 06:23

Nitpick: "DC has about 40 ongoing series and Marvel hovers around a whopping 80."

How in the world do they get this number for Marvel? You would have to include every single thing they publish from the MU kid's brand to Star Wars to Stephen King adaptations. I'm pretty sure the relevant shared-universe superhero comics don't have more than 60 titles.
Rank your favorite characters in the X-Men Character Sorter! Share your results!

"If life were a picnic, you'd be a family. Since life is war, you're soldiers. You'd do well to start accepting that fact."--Nathan Summers

tokenBG1009

Post by tokenBG1009 » 14 Aug 2016, 10:08

Civil War and Rebirth are so far apart in differences that it astounds me anyone would try to compare them. I do think Marvel is trying to move towards having more "legacy" but I feel like they've just given up on the "love" that DC is trying to bring back into their comics. My following of Marvel lately has been spotty at best outside of Spider-Man and Daredevil, but last I remembered the only relationship I remember lasting more than an issue was Sera/Angela in a now-cancelled title.
A League of Their Own!

I wish I could write fanfiction...