Welcome to unstablemolecules.com, the discussion home for mightyavengers.net, uncanon.com and uncannyxmen.net!

Character voices

Level 03: Titles from other publishers, comic books in general and anything comic-related that doesn't fit into any of the other forums.
Rincewind

Character voices

Post by Rincewind » 16 Apr 2016, 23:31

First of all, let me ask you: When you read certain characters' dialogue, do you picture their voices sounding like a certain actor or style? If not, the exit's right there.

For instance, I'm a kid of the 90s, so to me, Batman always sounds like Kevin Conroy, the Joker's Mark Hamill, and Wolverine always sounds the way he did in the 90s cartoon (Beast as well). But that's just me. Some other examples (NOTE: There are no right or wrong answers; just opinions):

* CABLE: I know he seems to be portrayed as a shouting drill sergeant most of the time, but for some reason, I imagine him sounding more like Liam Neeson in Taken or The A-Team.
* DEADPOOL: You're gonna laugh, but I always pictured Beetlejuice.
* EMMA FROST: God knows why, but I keep picturing her speaking with a fake British accent. I still haven't figured out why, though.
* QUICKSILVER/SCARLET WITCH: Some of my friends seem to think they sound like they should constantly be plotting to take down Moose and Squirrel, but I see them as having more neutral-accented voices, unless they get really emotional (especially Pietro); then, their accents become a bit more pronounced (I have an aunt from the South who's like that).
* SABRETOOTH: Be prepared to laugh: Almost a hybrid of Brock Samson and Randy Savage. Yet another one I can't explain.
* SINISTER: Very Alan Rickman-ish; maybe not the exact voice, but the calm, measured style of speech.
* TOAD: Original version: A Peter Lorre knockoff. New and Improved: either Rik Mayall or Craig Charles.

These are just a few for me. How about you guys? Bear in mind, if their dialogue is already written with an accent (*cough*Cannonball*cough*), you can skip that one.
Many people who had got to know Rincewind had come to treat him as a sort of two-legged miner's canary, and tended to assume that if Rincewind was still upright and not actually running then some hope remained.

Cable

Re: Character voices

Post by Cable » 17 Apr 2016, 00:16

I find this topic fascinating too. I'm really mixed with some. Alot of the X-Men I do imagine the animated cartoon voices, though some are wholly original creations in my mind. The Avengers characters I tend to more often hear the movie actors, especially Tony Stark. Peter Parker I hear the cartoon version from the 90s though.
Rank your favorite characters in the X-Men Character Sorter! Share your results!

"If life were a picnic, you'd be a family. Since life is war, you're soldiers. You'd do well to start accepting that fact."--Nathan Summers

RingOtaku

Post by RingOtaku » 17 Apr 2016, 01:10

Iceman: Mike Meyers in So I Married An Axe Murderer. That voice that even when he's trying to be serious sounds like he's always on the verge of a (allegedly) witty comment so you hesitate to take him seriously.

Pete Wisdom: Jason Statham

Psylocke: WWE Wrestler Paige
D20 Roulette: A Podcast of Geeks and Raging. https://rouletteproductions.com

Cable

Post by Cable » 17 Apr 2016, 01:19

It is funny how the voice can change when you see someone do it. Like I always imagined Rocket Raccoon with a more high-pitched voice, then was thrown off when Bradley Cooper did a very gruff voice. But now I hear it that way when I read.
Rank your favorite characters in the X-Men Character Sorter! Share your results!

"If life were a picnic, you'd be a family. Since life is war, you're soldiers. You'd do well to start accepting that fact."--Nathan Summers

Rincewind

Post by Rincewind » 17 Apr 2016, 01:19

RingOtaku wrote:Iceman: Mike Meyers in So I Married An Axe Murderer.
I hope you're talking about Charlie, and not his father.

Another one for me: Several years ago, I was playing the PS2 game Black & Bruised (a boxing game; look it up), and there was a big Canadian character named Tiny.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Qk5GpoDP8w

That's how I imagine Puck from Alpha Flight (I'm aware of the height irony, so don't bother pointing that out).
Many people who had got to know Rincewind had come to treat him as a sort of two-legged miner's canary, and tended to assume that if Rincewind was still upright and not actually running then some hope remained.

RingOtaku

Post by RingOtaku » 17 Apr 2016, 15:19

Yes Charlie. Just using that movie as an example as opposed to Shrek or Austin Powers where he is putting on an accent that in this case is not needed.
D20 Roulette: A Podcast of Geeks and Raging. https://rouletteproductions.com

Anna Raven

Post by Anna Raven » 17 Apr 2016, 19:44

Rincewind mentioned Emma, which I'm pretty sure we've had a thread on her all by herself. I guess some rich northeasterners do actually affect a British accent still, which is why she says things like "how droll" and "you're booooooring me". And almost all the Marvel games she has been in have given her a Brit accent, so I guess it's pretty much canon.

I usually only use actor voices in my head if they make a tv show or movie of the book. And it doesn't happen much with comics regardless. The one book where I've come to religiously use the actor voices in my head now is Game of Thrones, because I really just can't separate the character and the actor anymore.

As for the X-Men I do try to at least imagine accents, like Rogue, Gambit, Kurt, etc.
Editorial Draft Results: Rogue | Magneto | Mystique | Sabretooth | Madelyn Prior | Lady Deathstrike | Blink | Peggy Carter | Vanisher | Dead Girl | Jimmy Hudson | Wither | Guardian

Gibbering Fool

Post by Gibbering Fool » 20 Apr 2016, 11:57

For me when I read X-men I still hear the voices from the 90s animated series in my head.

tokenBG1009

Post by tokenBG1009 » 21 Apr 2016, 09:20

Yeah, I've always had those voices in my head. For those who didn't have voices I just kind of make it up as I go.
A League of Their Own!

I wish I could write fanfiction...

Phoenixx9

Post by Phoenixx9 » 22 Apr 2016, 02:51

On a recent Avengers cartoon, they used the 1990's Rogue voice for Screaming Mimi/Songbird and Juggernaut's voice for Atlas/Goliath.

grief

Post by grief » 23 Apr 2016, 23:44

Songbird's accent really threw me for a loop.
Official member of the Mighty Avengers fan club. "You want Avengers, lady? Take a good look. We're the Avengers."

See what happens after AoA Apocalypse dies in the Age After. http://uncanon.com/fiction/ageafter/

Nu-D

Post by Nu-D » 28 Apr 2016, 13:23

You know, if you're hearing character voices in your head, you might want to see someone about that...

Blackcyclops

Post by Blackcyclops » 28 Apr 2016, 13:40

grief wrote:Songbird's accent really threw me for a loop.

I hated that lol
I'm Team Remender, Waid, Hickman and Gillen

My X-Men Draft Picks:
Prof. X, Legion, Polaris, Quicksilver, Meggan, Deadpool, Pixie, and Danger