Welcome to unstablemolecules.com, the discussion home for mightyavengers.net, uncanon.com and uncannyxmen.net!

Comic Book Storage

Level 03: Titles from other publishers, comic books in general and anything comic-related that doesn't fit into any of the other forums.
RingOtaku

Comic Book Storage

Post by RingOtaku » 10 Jan 2013, 13:15

Basically I've been storing my comics in those plastic storage crate things you can get here in America at most office supply stores. But it's not ideal. Just wondering what some suggestions are from others. On this general subject though I will also ask:Anyone know a reliable and affordable way to purchase comic book longboxes like they have in stores?

ev82

Comic Book Storage

Post by ev82 » 11 Jan 2013, 18:22

My LCS sells the cardboard long boxes at the store, so you could try yours. I like these tho:

http://www.amazon.com/Long-Comic-Storage-Box-Plastic/dp/B002GWYMF4/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1357946481&sr=8-8&keywords=comic+book+long+box

PS: they do have them cheaper than that, I just wanted the link as an example.ev822013-01-11 18:24:06

Binaryan

Comic Book Storage

Post by Binaryan » 11 Jan 2013, 18:32

I actually prefer short boxes to long.  I keep my vast collection in the attic of my house and long boxes are tough to take up and down the ladder.  Short boxes are also lighter when filled and easier to move around and since they are shorter, they also fit better in many spaces (like the top of the closet or under my desk.   I label the outside with 3x5 cards that list the titles in each box so I can quickly find stuff when I need it.  The plus with this is the cards can be changed out if I need to rearrange things.In fact, if you could see what's in the short box next to my desk, you'd have a good idea of our next big project... 

grief

Comic Book Storage

Post by grief » 11 Jan 2013, 19:12

I short boxes myself, simply because I move from apartment to apartment on a yearly basis. Long boxes are hard to carry and EXTREMELY heavy, whereas short boxes are much more manageable. I get mine from my local comic shop. I tend to group the boxes by either series or author (for example, I have Captain America, Winter Soldier, and Bru's run on Secret Avengers in my "Captain America box" as I consider it all one mega-story), but if there are multiple titles in one box, I get a trashy sleeve-and-backboard, write the titles on that, and insert. They don't take up space, I don't need to go hunting for cards or anything, and once alphabetized it's easy to search.Whatever I don't have in short boxes is kept in large plastic tubs - my runs of X-Force or what I call the "Bendis-Vengers-Saga" or my CrossGen comics. They're heavy, but water resistant and easily stacked.

RingOtaku

Comic Book Storage

Post by RingOtaku » 12 Jan 2013, 00:42

Well my comics are in standard bag and boards.Short boxes might work too. I need to do some box research.I have a good number of comics that need proper vaulting.

The Bub

Comic Book Storage

Post by The Bub » 12 Jan 2013, 20:24

Drawer Boxes

These things are awesome, and allow you to vertically stack your collection in a closet corner. I have 6 short box versions which stack great and once full, the drawers pull out very easy. Each box also comes with cardboard file dividers so you can mark where one book ends and the next run begins. My old LCS sold them. Hopefully the LCS by where I just moved sells them too. If you have space for short boxes, I recommend these.

Update: I use Silver Age sized boards and bags for my modern comics and they fit easily into the box. Not sure how well Golden Age sized comics would fit, but Modern Age format should fit with tons of room to spare. The Bub2013-01-12 20:27:07

Grace_09

Re: Comic Book Storage

Post by Grace_09 » 27 Feb 2014, 10:10

I have purchased an used closet from self storage in Brendale at the cost of $48. The closet is made up of plastic and have organized partitions to keep comics and other books stored into it. It has wheels so that I can easily move it anywhere.

Nu-D

Post by Nu-D » 27 Feb 2014, 18:52

I like to use these boxes:

They're a bit pricey at $12.99-$18.99 a piece, depending on the decorations, but they also come with 12 free bottles of beer, and comics fit in them perfectly.

Blackcyclops

Post by Blackcyclops » 27 Feb 2014, 20:04

LMFAOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
I'm Team Remender, Waid, Hickman and Gillen

My X-Men Draft Picks:
Prof. X, Legion, Polaris, Quicksilver, Meggan, Deadpool, Pixie, and Danger

Magnus

Post by Magnus » 14 Sep 2016, 02:05

Bump of an old topic.

So, quick background... I have a tendency to buy my comics each week from my LCS, get home, read 'em, and then leave 'em on the table. After a few weeks pile up I'll realize I need to clean up and place them in a larger stack in my bedroom. This large stack of comics then gets broken down and organized about every six months into a box (the typical cardboard "short box" you'd buy at your LCS). Well, right now I'm organizing my 12th box (and this is without bags/boards) and wondering what you guys do. I've only been collecting since 2000, and while I've kept pretty much every main line X-Men comic since then, I figure a lot of you guys have been reading longer than I have and probably have a lot more.

So what do you do? Just tons of comic boxes? Do you throw stuff out after awhile? I mean, I definitely like to keep some stuff to re-read (I just re-read all of Morrison's run a year ago) but there's some stuff I don't see myself ever having a real hankering to read again... probably doesn't help that the stack I'm going through is the Bendis Uncanny/All-New, Amazing, WATXM era.

Also wondering how to organize stuff that's multi-title. For example, the "Battle of the Atom" crossover has issues across the four main X-titles (which makes sense to place in number order with their titles) but also one-off issues at the start and end. Or what about stuff like "Black Vortex" that would give me random issues of comics I don't collect like Guardians?

RingOtaku

Post by RingOtaku » 14 Sep 2016, 14:21

I just realized I never updated my earlier posts in here. I put my books in shortboxes now. Have for a while.

As for the organizing, it's not ideal but it works for my brain. X-Crossovers and mini-serieses are in one box. Company wide crossovers and their tie-in minis go in another short box. I have one box for Misc. X-Verse (books I only have a few issues of or that had a very short run like the Genosha Excalibur. Not enough to fill a box on it's own) do the same with general Marvel books. After that I fill up boxes with one or two-book runs that are still related (I have Amazing Spider-Man and the modern Spider-Man 2099 in one box) until one book becomes big enough to fill a short box.

I label the boxes with index cards taped to the box so it's easy to take off the card and replace it with a new label when I need to reorganize.
D20 Roulette: A Podcast of Geeks and Raging. https://rouletteproductions.com

Nu-D

Post by Nu-D » 14 Sep 2016, 22:06

Back when I used to own comics, I did actually store them in 12-pack boxes. They are the perfect size for bagged/boarded comics, and I always had one half-empty box when I needed it for my comics. The biggest downside is they didn't have lids, so you couldn't stack them more than 2-high. without damaging books. But I built shelves in my closet that were the right height and depth for the boxes to fit like drawers. It worked out really well for my collection of 3000+ books.

As for the organizational questions:
(1) If an issue was part of an ongoing, it stayed in that ongoing regardless of being part of a crossover. Keeping the complete run together was priority #1.
(2) If a comic was part of a title I didn't collect, and was part of a crossover with a title I did, I'd slot it into the other series in the appropriate place. (For example, the Spiderman issue that crossed over with X-Force v.1 #4 was slotted into my X-Force run; the New Warriors chapters of Child's Play also slotted into my X-Force run).
(3) If a comic was part of a series I didn't collect, and was part of a crossover with multiple series I did collect, it would get placed in the "misc crossovers" box. (For example, the Avengers and AWC issues of Bloodties were put together in my "misc crossovers" box).
(4) I did have several different "misc" boxes. X-universe, general Marvel, general DC, other.
(5) Eventually, I might get enough "misc" issues of a title to warrant putting them together as a title, rather than with other parts of the crossover. That was always a gray area, and depended in part on how many of those issues were a continuous run, and how many were just random issues (New Mutants for example, grew into it's own box even though I didn't collect it.
(6) I had a separate boxes for mini- and maxi-series. Age of Apocalypse, Secret Wars, Fallen Angels, etc.

But ultimately, there were always exceptions, and I was always arranging and re-arranging my collection. That was half the fun, anyhow. The most important thing is not being entirely systematic and consistent, but having fun and being able to find your comics when you want them.

WorldWideWade

Post by WorldWideWade » 15 Sep 2016, 14:37

I organize mine in a similar way to Nu-D.

However what I really identify with is the issue of suddenly having too many comics that you don't know what to do with them all. I started collecting monthly books back in 2004 and started buying 90s X-book back issues on top of that (because they were cheap). About a year or so ago my parents decided they were finally going to sell their house (where I had been storing my 10+ long boxes I had accumulated over the years). I lived about 3 hours away from them and have moved apartments several times. Let me tell you that moving a bunch of packed long boxes up and down stairs several times will put in perspective how unimportant a large part of your comic collection really is. So I whittled down my collection to about 5 long boxes full of runs I have an emotional attachment to or am certain I will reread one day. As for the rest, I had to harden my heart and sell them to a resale book shop for pennies on the dollar (who has the time to sell that many books on ebay). Better than throwing them away I suppose and maybe someone else will find and enjoy them.

I can see the wisdom in going fully digital as I consistently feel I don't have enough room for my reduced but still growing collection. The resale value and desire for the physical copies is also waning with the options of digital and collected trade paper backs. However, I still like reading the physical books and monetarily supporting my LCBS. Until digital books drop their prices by half, I can't see myself converting from floppies.

TL;DR: I suggest evaluating the importance of your books and deciding to sell/recycle the ones you know in your heart you will never read again.
Current Pull List:
Extermination, Astonishing X-men, X-men Red, Iceman, Multiple Man, Mr & Mrs X, Runaways, West Coast Avengers, Champions, Ms Marvel, Amazing Spider-man, Dr Strange, Moon Knight, Fantastic Four, Marvel 2-in-1, Mister Miracle